Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #63796
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
What the DR needs is a real front brake. A full brembo system? Bigger rotor? Nothing but money.
No kidding, I don't think the size of the rotor is that much of the issue. The rotor on my 690 is only 10 mm bigger. Pretty sure it's the rest of the stuff. The Brembo brake on my 690 stops it like a sport bike. Granted, the bike is like 60 lbs lighter and that is going to have an effect on stopping power but I can't help but think the Brembo stuff just works better then the Nissin.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #63797
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
Hi Paul

So on the 1st full tank since I installed your carb, i still only got 36 mpg, all commuting to work at 35-60 mph on city streets and knobby tires. I just dont believe all you people saying you getting 50+ mpg! :(

So not sure what to think now. I will say it seems to be idling quite high. I don't know how to see what RPM its running at though.

Anyway, I guess my problems are continuing. Too bad.

I was getting 45 to 50 mpg when I took it off and I am getting 50 mph with the tm40.
So I do not know what to tell him.
Any Ideas to help Putzy?
Heck, I'd like to know how you are getting 50 with the TM 40? Riding the bike hard I get 40, riding the bike like a wuss I get 40.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #63798
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrider58 View Post
so your KTM400 is geared too low and vibrates too much on the pavement? This too was one of my possible options for a lighter trail bike.
That's weird considering my 450 EXC is geared 1 down in the front and up 5 on the back from stock and I don't even have to shift into 6th until I'm at 70 - 75 MPH.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #63799
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
Hi Paul

So on the 1st full tank since I installed your carb, i still only got 36 mpg, all commuting to work at 35-60 mph on city streets and knobby tires. I just dont believe all you people saying you getting 50+ mpg! :(

So not sure what to think now. I will say it seems to be idling quite high. I don't know how to see what RPM its running at though.

Anyway, I guess my problems are continuing. Too bad.

I was getting 45 to 50 mpg when I took it off and I am getting 50 mph with the tm40.
So I do not know what to tell him.
Any Ideas to help Putzy?
It's a long shot. But is the choke lever position correct or more likely the choke cable broken somewhere and not really doing anything when moving it. This is the only other thing I can think of that would be a problem in both cases/carbs. Nibis's point on a bad wheel bearing makes sense, it could also sneak up on someone and kill mileage.

Rumlover screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 06:21 AM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #63800
Xplorr
hoi polloi

Oddometer: 320
rear shock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msanna View Post
I'd challenge that theory.
With the proper set-up you can take the DR650 pretty much anywhere.
After getting new internals in the forks and rear shock we had to test it out.
A quick video of a "suspension test"....if you want to call it that
Hey msanna, what rear shock are you testing here? A stock shock with new parts?

Thanks, matt
Xplorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #63801
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
I am continuing my quest to lighten the bike a bit so I picked up the Shorai battery and offset that weight saving a little by also getting a decent pair of Tusk Bark Busters.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #63802
gjcarving
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr DR650 (2011) View Post
jesse@rvi.net

Hi all,

I've been sending messages to Jesse at Kientech but not getting any reply (as I want to buy the valve tool). Does anyone know if he is out the the shop; public holiday over there in the states??

Oh well, will have to look else where.

thanks

I would call Him and His wife Janet. They are great by phone and will take care of you! From what I hear Not so good by email though. I have spoken with them both and ordered many things from them by phone. They are kind of old school as they are both in their mid late seventies I believe...
gjcarving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #63803
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarving View Post
I would call Him and His wife Janet. They are great by phone and will take care of you! From what I hear Not so good by email though. I have spoken with them both and ordered many things from them by phone. They are kind of old school as they are both in their mid late seventies I believe...
I agree. I always call them on the phone. Janet knows more about DR's than I do. Half the time when I call, Jesse winds up on the line to make sure I don't have any more questions.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #63804
NumberCruncher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
What would be a good bag to attach to the rear cargo rack for carrying a change of clothes, a couple bottles of water? Can the stock rack hold say 15 pounds?

NC
NumberCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #63805
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberCruncher View Post
What would be a good bag to attach to the rear cargo rack for carrying a change of clothes, a couple bottles of water? Can the stock rack hold say 15 pounds?

NC
I used the Coretech Tailbag on my WR250X/R and it held pants, shirt, shoes, and a couple bottles of Snapple. Seems about the size you're looking for...

As for what the stock rack can hold, I have no idea. My 2012 didn't come with a Tail Rack. I'm still looking for a decent one.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #63806
mslow
Faccia Brutta

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorr View Post
Hey msanna, what rear shock are you testing here? A stock shock with new parts?

Thanks, matt
Matt, yes, i had the forks and rear shock rebuilt with new internals from Custom Axis, which is Penske Racing Shocks.
They're 15 minutes from me and I've always used them on my track bikes and was always happy with their work.
http://www.customaxisshocks.com/Home.php
Old 05-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #63807
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
I used the Coretech Tailbag on my WR250X/R and it held pants, shirt, shoes, and a couple bottles of Snapple. Seems about the size you're looking for...

As for what the stock rack can hold, I have no idea. My 2012 didn't come with a Tail Rack. I'm still looking for a decent one.
i like these; strong and unobtrusive; maybe not what you want for rtw fully loaded expeditions, but great for everything else, imo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170830652442

i actually found an older model, the same except w/metal mesh between the bars. i paid ~$30 for it used...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #63808
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Heck, I'd like to know how you are getting 50 with the TM 40? Riding the bike hard I get 40, riding the bike like a wuss I get 40.
So you're saying that your bike can't tell the difference between your hard riding and wuss riding? Hmm wonder why that is? j/k
Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #63809
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberCruncher View Post

NC
I also use the Coretech tail bag. Comes with bungie hooks already attatched to the bag. Probably could hold enough clothes for 2-3 days.

I don't know what you call the stock rack, but I don't have any rack on mine. I just lay the bag accross the fender and grab bars. I never weighed all my stuff but I carried that bag full, a tent and a full camel back all strapped down to the back with no problems going accross the TAT. I would say an easy 20-30 lbs.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #63810
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,793
Ogio comes with quick release tie downs attached and expands when necessary. Also has a built in pad in case you don't have a rack. http://www.amazon.com/Ogio-110091-36.../dp/B0035JLODK

In times like these...

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote