User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #63856
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
UPDATE: Acerbis Reserve Range

I was trying to run the left side reserve dry and then see how much was left on the right side. I would check the level each time I stopped, before I placed the bike on the kickstand. A few observations:

1. It looks like Acerbis was right, you don't need a petcock on the right side. The center hump in the rear of the tank is very shallow and allows fuel to transfer to the left side by leaning into a gentle turn. As a matter of fact (and this is the fun part) all you have to do is accelerate to force the fuel to the back of the tank and it will find its way to the left side equal with the right.

2. As a result, the left and right reserves will run dry at about the same time.

3. Be careful of downhill sections when running low on fuel. How do I know? During my reserve range test I got caught by a long red light on a 20% down grade. The fuel ran to the front lobes of the tank and starved the petcocks. When the light turned green I gassed it and came to a humiliating stop in the very center of a six lane intersection. As I struggled to get fuel back to the float bowl, I ran the battery down with all the cranking. After pushing it to the side of the road (nothing like playing real life frogger) and sitting for a few minutes letting the battery build back up again, it fired right up and I motored back across the road to the gas station and filled up (5.17 gal). If I had been on level ground I believe the tank would have fed virtually every ounce of fuel.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #63857
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,000
distance?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #63858
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
distance?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
I didn't run it from full since I was interested in how it would act on reserve so i started with just a couple of gallons. The current tank full will be the total range test. I've been getting 50-53 mpg so it may take a few days before I can report again. Work keeps getting in the way of my research.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #63859
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_han View Post
Dam it... I was typing so much and i suddenly wiped off some of the dust that accumulated on my labtop's touch pad and booom..... everything was gone!

I got to retype everything!!! FML! DAMn!
Man, I hate that!!

Quote:
In a nutshell, I'd already bought the Progessive Springs(can anyone tell me which side of the springs should enter the fork first? I might have inserted the wrong side in!) Ricor Intiminators and installed them together.
The stock DR springs are also progressive and the tight coils go on top.
Quote:
Front end now much firmer. I also did not shave off the top spacers. Might have got to do so for best results.
See the last photo in the link. I used 1/2" preload too (13mm).
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=99

Quote:
Just bought the "Stock Shaft Assembly with Rebound Adjustment" from PC also. I'd thought it would come as a whole suspension ready for installation- swap out my stock and put this in. But I was wrong. Now I need to find a local suspension guru to replace the stock shaft and spring with the PC one on my stock rear shock before installing it. Hope it compliments the front end...

I'd have gone with the Cogent shock and stuff if I were living over at where you guys are! I'd read so many good reviews and feedback on that company! But the distance apart, challenges in communication(already have experienced receiving a few wrong orders and discrepancies via the email route with a US merchant), the need to send in a stock rear stock, etc are just some of my concerns... hmmm...
I'm in Singapore! I have been doing long distance riding all the way to the Southern states in Thailand. Next month am planning to head East-wards to Cambodia if all goes well. It's mostly highway, street, pavement riding for me. I've also got the Safari Tank to get cheaper fuel from across my country.
I'm only 1.69metres tall, but am getting quite confident on my super tanker DR till date.
Singapore!! Yep, that complicates things a bit. I'll bet the shoreline vistas are beautiful in that part of the world. Go to your profile page and fill in your location, it will get you bonus points.

It sounds like you have a good handle on your suspension. When you get it sorted, it's very much better.

Here's an awesome DR build thread, compliments of Distech:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=distech

Quote:
Thanks for helping me again and for replying!
You're welcome. Have fun.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #63860
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Laugh I give!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i rode my ex brother in law's dl1000 last week - it is wery nice. but it is a big bike; i might consider a dl650 instead. (i am 6'-0", w/34" inseam and i couldn't flat-foot it.) but i'd need to ride a dl650 first. the guy who sold the dl1000 to my ex brother in law replaced it w/a dl650...

doug s.
Touching the ground is a big deal, I remember back in 1980 I was on my Honda CX-500 custom and I pulled up to the red light looking cool and I put my left foot down and ooh-shit no ground big pot hole the bike went over and I turned in to a power lifter the guy in the next lane was laughing and I was working hard to get it up.
Bed time later!
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #63861
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
Touching the ground is a big deal, I remember back in 1980 I was on my Honda CX-500 custom and I pulled up to the red light looking cool and I put my left foot down and ooh-shit no ground big pot hole the bike went over and I turned in to a power lifter the guy in the next lane was laughing and I was working hard to get it up.
Bed time later!
i was able to get the balls of both feet on the ground, and i got used to it, but flat-footing it is a little more comfortable. the only other issue i had w/the dl1000 was that it is wery notchy on first gear take-off. again, you get used to it. not sure if all dl1000's are like that; according to the owner of the bike it's not uncommon... it was wery smooth and comfortable, tho, pulling comfortably to 8k rpms; mebbe more, but 8k was plenty for me, haha! what it really made me want to do was go test ride an older air-cooled ducati multistrada.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #63862
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i rode my ex brother in law's dl1000 last week - it is wery nice. but it is a big bike; i might consider a dl650 instead. (i am 6'-0", w/34" inseam and i couldn't flat-foot it.) but i'd need to ride a dl650 first. the guy who sold the dl1000 to my ex brother in law replaced it w/a dl650...

doug s.
I have a 34" inseam, I can't flat foot my DR650! But, its far from stock...

I like the Strom's, I kinda lean to the 1000 though. Slightly better all around. I don't view it as anything more than a dirt road bike though. As a big guy, I liked the mild power of the DL1000. I may go that route some day, I miss having a large V-Twin DS style bike. I sold my KTM 950 ADV after I got the DR650. That sucker was tall, over 37" with the custom saddle. The Strom is more street biased, I like the idea of having one for mostly pavement trips where I camp off forestry roads. Although I do have many dirt miles on a large ST bikes looking for good primitive camp spots... I've had my FJR coverd in mud a few times...
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #63863
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
My spare forks arrived today. Looks like it's time to send them and the spare shock off to get re-worked for my fat arse.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #63864
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Aussie question off topic

Apologies to all not curious in my question, I have no other resource to ask.

Mad Max and even more so Road Warrior are favorite films. I just now finished watching another Australian film, Stone. Terrible film, I recommend you don't waste your time unless you're curious to see a five years younger Toecutter, from Mad Max (his acting ability increased greatly by Mad Max).

For all three films, 95% of the bikes are Kawasaki. The one notable exception is that in Stone, the rival mc gang mainly rode Harleys - I did see one Ducati, so maybe you had to ride a V-twin of some sort to join. The Harley gang got beat up by the Kawasaki gang.

So, for you as-old-as-dirt (that would make you as old as me) Aussies, what was going on in Australia in the mid-seventies to mid-eighties relative to large street motorcycle ownership? Was it 95% Kawasaki? Or did film directors like Kawasaki for some reason? Stone made a big deal of the 900cc Kawasaki which was a relatively new model IIRC.

Thanks for your insight,
Lex
Old 05-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #63865
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Lex that would take a long time to write and would be one of those if you are not from around these parts.....

http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2...06/3209753.htm

The Z (zed) 1 was iconic but for the most part commonwealth patched motorcycle (bikies) riders rode British bikes not 'riceburners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #63866
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post

For all three films, 95% of the bikes are Kawasaki. The one notable exception is that in Stone, the rival mc gang mainly rode Harleys - I did see one Ducati, so maybe you had to ride a V-twin of some sort to join. The Harley gang got beat up by the Kawasaki gang.

So, for you as-old-as-dirt (that would make you as old as me) Aussies, what was going on in Australia in the mid-seventies to mid-eighties relative to large street motorcycle ownership? Was it 95% Kawasaki? Or did film directors like Kawasaki for some reason? Stone made a big deal of the 900cc Kawasaki which was a relatively new model IIRC.

Thanks for your insight,
Lex

I just watched this movie myself. I noticed two Harleys, a Panhead and a 45 Flathead and both were choppers. Stone started off riding a Norton then replaced it with the Z1 after he crashed the Norton. The rival gang were mostly on Brit bikes.

I was riding in the US during the 1970's so I can't say what guys were riding in Aus or NZ then other than through "Mad Max" and "Road Warrior". I don't know if Danger Dave is still active on ADV or not but he is in the bike mag biz so he may know some history. I suspect the bikes were an accurate representation of what was being ridden at the time.

This is me circa 1974

gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #63867
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Me circa 1982

gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #63868
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
I was trying to run the left side reserve dry and then see how much was left on the right side. I would check the level each time I stopped, before I placed the bike on the kickstand. A few observations:

1. It looks like Acerbis was right, you don't need a petcock on the right side. The center hump in the rear of the tank is very shallow and allows fuel to transfer to the left side by leaning into a gentle turn. As a matter of fact (and this is the fun part) all you have to do is accelerate to force the fuel to the back of the tank and it will find its way to the left side equal with the right.

2. As a result, the left and right reserves will run dry at about the same time.

3. Be careful of downhill sections when running low on fuel. How do I know? During my reserve range test I got caught by a long red light on a 20% down grade. The fuel ran to the front lobes of the tank and starved the petcocks. When the light turned green I gassed it and came to a humiliating stop in the very center of a six lane intersection. As I struggled to get fuel back to the float bowl, I ran the battery down with all the cranking. After pushing it to the side of the road (nothing like playing real life frogger) and sitting for a few minutes letting the battery build back up again, it fired right up and I motored back across the road to the gas station and filled up (5.17 gal). If I had been on level ground I believe the tank would have fed virtually every ounce of fuel.
I agree, no need for the second petcock. I ran mine down to I'm guessing about .2 gallon. Never had to lean the bike over. Put 5.1 gallons at the pump.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #63869
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
I have a 34" inseam, I can't flat foot my DR650! But, its far from stock...

I like the Strom's, I kinda lean to the 1000 though. Slightly better all around. I don't view it as anything more than a dirt road bike though. As a big guy, I liked the mild power of the DL1000. I may go that route some day, I miss having a large V-Twin DS style bike. I sold my KTM 950 ADV after I got the DR650. That sucker was tall, over 37" with the custom saddle. The Strom is more street biased, I like the idea of having one for mostly pavement trips where I camp off forestry roads. Although I do have many dirt miles on a large ST bikes looking for good primitive camp spots... I've had my FJR coverd in mud a few times...
interesting - i have no problem flat-footing when on stock dr650's. and my daughter, who is 5'-5", has no problem flat-footing on my dr, tho it is a little lower, due solely to sm wheels/tires. so much for specs, which say the seat height of the dr650 is 1" taller than the dl1000. mebbe the dl1000 i rode was set up differently?

street-oriented is best for me, as i will rarely (if ever?) go off-road - dirt/gravel roads are all i am interested in, that's not paved. even my buell s2 and my ducati darmah are fine on dirt & gravel.

while i really liked riding the strom, and could see riding one across country, cuz it's so comfy, i can't help but wonder how a similarly set-up and powerful bike would feel, that's ~30lbs lighter. thus the desire to check out an air-cooled multistrada... the newer watercooled 'stradas are even lighter, and more powerful, but kinda pricey,and i like the simplicity of the duc air-cooled engines..

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #63870
fisherjam
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi I just got an 09 dr650 about a month ago. It had 300 miles when i bought it and I put about 300 more miles on it. Today after a ride I got back and noticed what looked like cracks on the engine. I'm hoping its just the paint but i have my doubts. What do you think? Have you ever seen anything like this? The majority of the riding i did with it so far has been on the hwy if that matters.
Photobucket
Photobucket.
fisherjam is offline   Reply With Quote