Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #63856
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Your O.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherjam View Post
Hi I just got an 09 dr650 about a month ago. It had 300 miles when i bought it and I put about 300 more miles on it. Today after a ride I got back and noticed what looked like cracks on the engine. I'm hoping its just the paint but i have my doubts. What do you think? Have you ever seen anything like this? The majority of the riding i did with it so far has been on the hwy if that matters.

All the DRs look the same.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #63857
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherjam View Post
I got back and noticed what looked like cracks on the engine.
Those are shrinkage marks from the casting process. Perfectly common and normal on many cast aluminum parts. Look at any other bike (not just DR650s) and you'll see the same thing.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #63858
fisherjam
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Those are shrinkage marks from the casting process. Perfectly common and normal on many cast aluminum parts. Look at any other bike (not just DR650s) and you'll see the same thing.
Ok. Thanks guys. What a relief! I thought may have bought a lemon or something.
fisherjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #63859
advchick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Exhaust pipe cover...Washer Question!

So quick question coming from a lady!?!?! Boyfriend is away for the weekend and i just ordered drz250 tail light and the exh pipe cover and of course im putting them on myself because i can't wait!

Succeeded in the tail light its all set. But the exhaust cover there is a screw then washer then the layer of the 2 covers then the gasket. Now i ordered from bikebandit.com and they sent me a screw with washer attached (instead of just the washer) but they do not separate and that screw is too long! She said that they discontinued the washer?!?!

so its sunday (dealers are closed to call) and of course i'm being impatient and want to put this on today. I have the washer size (6.5x13x1) can i just run to home depot and pick up this washer..does it need to be stainless steel or any other specific. Boyfriends not around to ask this silly question so i thought someone on here might be able to help!

Thanks!!!
Jenna
Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #63860
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by advchick View Post
So quick question coming from a lady!?!?! Boyfriend is away for the weekend and i just ordered drz250 tail light and the exh pipe cover and of course im putting them on myself because i can't wait!

Succeeded in the tail light its all set. But the exhaust cover there is a screw then washer then the layer of the 2 covers then the gasket. Now i ordered from bikebandit.com and they sent me a screw with washer attached (instead of just the washer) but they do not separate and that screw is too long! She said that they discontinued the washer?!?!

so its sunday (dealers are closed to call) and of course i'm being impatient and want to put this on today. I have the washer size (6.5x13x1) can i just run to home depot and pick up this washer..does it need to be stainless steel or any other specific. Boyfriends not around to ask this silly question so i thought someone on here might be able to help!

Thanks!!!
Jenna
it doesn't need to be stainless, but i would certainly get stainless if awailable...

doug s.
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #63861
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
First Week with the 790 Kit

It runs really, really well. The power is incredible even with a bike with stock exhaust (have procycles dynojet kit and opened airbox). Also have Procycles Kibblewhite valves and seats and had the machine shop open the head up a little bit to accommodate them. (Not a full porting as it was too much $). The only other thing that isn't stock are the bearings replaced while I was in there fixing that chinese input shaft bearing. I used SKF bearings all around.

I used motoman's break-in recommendations.

I've got the mixture dialed in pretty good, but I'm going to try one more jet today just to make sure. My gut says it may be just a tad rich, but I could be wrong.

The power is breathtaking for an over grown dirt bike. I'd call it a mutant dirt bike at this point, or maybe a whomper instead of a thumper. It goes like hell. But it's also really nice to be able to cruise along at highway speeds with the throttle cracked just a little bit open.

Mileage is about 40mpg at the moment, but the motor is still tight and I'm fiddling with the mixture. I'll post updates when I get it all dialed in. I won't be able to put synthetic oil back in for another couple of weeks and that'll make a difference as well.

In short, if you have the wherewithal get the kit and install it, do it. Having a steel sleeve in your cylinder means restful sleep for me as I didn't know this bike only had nickle cladding in an aluminum jug when I bought it.

And it's really nice to know you can get away from some twit who insists on tailgating you at 85mph on the highway. It's also a lot of fun feeling like you've been shot out of a cannon.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #63862
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Both Metal Head Gasket Rivets

FWIW: If something like our metal head gasket is riveted, two rivets would have to be used the keep the two layers aligned. One is on the lower, right front corner of the cylinder, the other is at the left rear. This is a good pic of that second rivet.

For the curious, right front corner.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #63863
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post

My front hub:

Someone else's front hub (ignore the incorrect seal position).

Quote:
Old 05-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #63864
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 441
Have you got a folder in your computer containing every picture posted in this thread???

Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

My front hub:

Someone else's front hub (ignore the incorrect seal position).
Old 05-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #63865
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Have you got a folder in your computer containing every picture posted in this thread???
You don't?
Old 05-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #63866
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Talking

Most of the good ones. Tryin' to get the new guys up to speed.
Pics are easier than splainin'.

I was in the carbie last night (pilot jet replace, just in case), they'll get posted as the subject comes up. [flash bulb smilie]

Hope I'm not murdering the bandwidth thingie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
You don't?
Two words.

Quote:
Old 05-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #63867
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Broken Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzy View Post
well i dont need to worry about my fueling problem for a while. broke my arm just below shoulder today after departing my DR. :( but thanks for the tips.
Dang, sorry to hear about the hurt wing. You will heal quickly, right? In the mean time, learn everything about your DR so you can help us fix stuff.

Get better soon.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #63868
mslow
Faccia Brutta

Oddometer: 523
Acerbis Tank update, had the DR out playing in a silt basin yesterday and got to crash test the tank...

It held up perfectly, barely a scratch, haha!
Looks good, performs well and crashes much much better than stock
Old 05-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #63869
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Good Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbritt5 View Post
2001, 40,600 miles and just did my first oil change..... and new air all around too!
Frank, glad you had good engine oil in there to last 40K miles (know you joke). Don't forget to stop over and get that rear tire.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #63870
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Hey how come this bike can go just as fast in 4th as in 5th?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote