Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #63991
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
I'll add some details about the video:

- the chain is tightened within spec (one notch tighter on the snail adjusters would be too tight)
- Both upper and lower rollers are installed (tried it without upper roller and vibration is the same)
- Front sprocket is a 14t, rear is stock.
- the slapping of the top half of the chain on the swingarm coincides with the bad vibes I'm feeling in the seat and pegs.

It seems like this is an oscillation, not just random slapping. And I don't think it's normal otherwise everyone would be complaining about it.

Maybe I need something like this?

If it was mine I would be getting the dial indicator out and checking the run-out of the front and rear sprocket and maybe the shafts they run on. There is a lot going on there that I don't normally see on a bike under smooth throttle. The chain will do wierd stuff when "on-off-on" throttle or downshifting. The bottom can even get an "S" bend to it under hard acceleration but the top should run straight and true.

Edit: thought about it a little more- if you have a miss in the engine under load it would be like "on-off-on" throttle and would make the chain slap around like that. The chain slapping could be masking the miss.

Mongle screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 02:00 PM
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #63992
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
"Stupid gas cap vent!" as Homer would say.

Thanks for all the tips. Here's the result, since a couple people think the Super Glue will let go.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #63993
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Damn, I would have lost a lot of money on that bet, ethanol or not.
You would have had a 50/50 chance on that money. All tubes are not equal! I had my gasket go bad on my IMS and a guy gave me a tube..lasted about a day. He gave me enough to make it through my trip so I just cut out 2-3 and kept them in the saddle bag. I'm not sure that soaking it is the problem...I think the fumes are what make it fall apart.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #63994
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
So is there any opinions on this? Is this chain movement normal? Sure doesn't seem normal to me. What could be causing this?
Normal.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #63995
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Did a bunch of stuff on the DR this week, getting ready for summer riding. New plugs, air cleaner, fuel filter, fork oil. I checked the valves: all still within specs at 43,000 miles. Only one exhaust valve has needed any attention (at 4,000 miles) and it's been stable like the others since.

I replaced my after market brake pads (EBC) because I couldn't stand them any more. I put Suzuki pads back on and the difference is very noticeable- decent stopping power again. I was trying to save money with the EBC's but for me it was a waste of money.

Among other things I replaced my battery. The old one was fine and only 2.5 years old, but someone here once said they think of batteries as wear items (like tires) and replace them BEFORE they strand them in the backcountry. What a concept! I decided that was a pretty smart thing to do since I've got plans to ride a lot of passes this summer. (A new battery costs less than most tires.)

Another thing I did was replace the swing arm chain buffer. Here's a pic of old and new- 43,000 miles and about 1/2 worn through.

Most of the wear was on the inside edge where it was hard to see.

.............shu
Thanks for the comments on using OEM Nissin brake pads. I found the same thing vs EBC ... but thought maybe it was just an anomaly or my imagination. I think EBC tend to start off feeling "OK" ... but as they wear they get worse and worse. (perhaps they get over heated, "Glazed" ? )

I'm going to have to pull my Swingarm and replace the rubber chain buffer too. Mine looks about like yours, now at 45K miles.

A few years ago, I pulled the Swingarm off a blown '96 DR650. The nuts and bolts were so tight ... and like corroded in place ??? ... that the big threaded bolts were RUINED getting them out. Threads destroyed. Weird.

I'm hoping my '06 Swingarm will fare better. How did the hardware on your Swingarm look coming out? OK?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #63996
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
You would have had a 50/50 chance on that money. All tubes are not equal!
That's true. I can't remember if that piece I soaked was real rubber or butyl from a bicycle tube, but I cut a piece for a petcock gasket and it was still fine when I sold the bike years latter.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #63997
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
DR650: Front fork upgrade and brake line upgrade - install & review

I finally got around to installing Ricor Intiminator Fork Valves and front stainless steel brake lines on my 2006 Dr650. My primary goal was to reduce front end dive and improve braking. I followed Eakins post for the Intiminator install – great resource! Installation was easy:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468588

At the same time I installed a new stainless steel front brake line, installation was also easy.
* Used stock springs
* About 18 ounces of 5w shock fluid in each shock.
* Increased preload by about ˝ an inch (did not cut spacer to compensate for Intiminator thickness.
* No modification to rear suspension yet.

All parts were purchased from Procycle.

Front end dive upon braking was greatly reduced, enough dive remained to allow proper weight transfer to front tire while leaving enough weight on the rear to keep the rear tire “in the game” during hard braking.

With the stainless steel front line, the break lever is very firm. I decided not to change the rear in order to help prevent / reduce potential rear end lock up.

The handling on the read is great; I noticed significant improvement in sharp cornering; with the stock set up the front end felt unstable in a sharp turn now it’s much “tighter”. I have not yet taken it off road yet but I expect good improvement there also.

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #63998
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
I would be curious enough to remove the lower allen bolt and see if the NSU has a metal insert/sleeve in it now. That would likely keep them tight. If there is no metal insert/sleeve that the bolt passes through I would still remove one bolt at a time and either apply loctite or drill the bolts and safety wire them. It's hard to tell from the pic...are those allen flange style bolts or allen bolts with washers or maybe allen bolts with captive washers?

Tech23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
absolutley. i will so that today and report back.
Did I miss this answer?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #63999
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Howdy fellas. I just bought a 2012 triumph bonneville and have literally punched my bank account in the testicals. So, I'm going to sell my Dr, and pick up another once finances level out some. I'll post up in the fleamarket later today, some of you might remember my bike so I just thought I'd throw a line out.

Good day to you sir's.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #64000
shu

Oddometer: 979
Bluhduh <--Don't know how he got up here, can't get rid of him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I'm going to have to pull my Swingarm and replace the rubber chain buffer too. Mine looks about like yours, now at 45K miles.

A few years ago, I pulled the Swingarm off a blown '96 DR650. The nuts and bolts were so tight ... and like corroded in place ??? ... that the big threaded bolts were RUINED getting them out. Threads destroyed. Weird.

I'm hoping my '06 Swingarm will fare better. How did the hardware on your Swingarm look coming out? OK?
Actually, you don't need to pull the swingarm off to get to the chain buffer. It's put on with 3 phillips screws into the swingarm. (Hasn't Suzuki ever heard of Allens heads? I replace all those Phillips whenever I can before I wreck them! I know, I know they're not really Phillips, they're JIS, but I eventually wreck them just the same- even using the special screwdrivers.)

Anyway, just pull off the front sprocket and slide the old rubber buffer out, and the new one back in the same way.

I did pull my swingarm at 15,000 miles to put some waterproof grease in all the suspension bearings- everything seemed in good shape at that point and it was pretty easy. Good thing to do, as those bearings are very lightly greased from the factory.

..........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #64001
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Howdy fellas. I just bought a 2012 triumph bonneville and have literally punched my bank account in the testicals. So, I'm going to sell my Dr, and pick up another once finances level out some. I'll post up in the fleamarket later today, some of you might remember my bike so I just thought I'd throw a line out.

Good day to you sir's.
your bike certainly looks sweet, glws!

doug s.
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #64002
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,165
Question

Question for Procycle:

Since this might interest others, like Notarat, I decided to post instead of PM.
I'm interested in the Supermoto 320mm Brake Rotor Kit.

Do you or your supplier have a matching wave rotor for the rear? I understand it wouldn't have the gold hub, but a matching edge wave and drill pattern would be sweet.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #64003
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
So is there any opinions on this? Is this chain movement normal? Sure doesn't seem normal to me. What could be causing this?

I had an SV650 do the same thing a while back. I found a "stiff/kinked" link in the chain. The chain had about 15,000 miles on it and had seen lots of rain riding.

Put bike on stand and spin tire with your hand and check for "lumps".

I replaced chain.

Ryan
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #64004
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post

Maybe I need something like this?

Gone the first time you fall. And it'll wear a hole in your boot in no time. That is what I refer to as "treefort" engineering.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #64005
Errhead
Low Miles!

Oddometer: 81
Help with led signal conversion

I thought I had read enough about LED conversion but today's swap is not going well. Background: 05 DR with Kuryakyn 4709 diode kit and LED dash light installed months ago and working perfectly. Today I installed a Custom LED ELFR-1 electronic LED flasher (as recommended by MXRob). Everything works fine with the new flasher and the original bulbs but none of my new LED bulbs (1156 base 67-A15s from Superbrightleds.com) will light up at all. I tested each new bulb and they all work fine when directly supplied with 12v but none of them work in the blinker sockets. The LED indicator dash light blinks fine as usual no matter what turn signal bulbs are installed. The new flasher is plug & play with the stock harness but I reversed the wiring just for kicks which made the stock bulbs light up without blinking but still did not correct the LEDs. Any help would be appreciated and the sun is making a rare appearance this week. -thanks