User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #64201
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Chain guard

Having both a DR 650 and 350 i noticed there is no chain guard round the front sprocket on the 650 !!! The only protection given to the casing on the 650 is the PLASTIC cover !!!!

Now as i like to use the 650 as intended , Morocco , Pyrennes and dirt round home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfE9b...etailpage#t=3s
i thought a try and knock something up
1st attempt
I had a go at copying the 350 style one.

I also like owt fer nowt so started digging around the garage and found this old guard off a circular saw

After an hour or so ended up with something that looked more like a FLAMINGO than a chain guard !!!

NOT the best fit and thats the last of my 2mm steel

I shelved this one untill i get some more steel, maybe go for 3mm next time !!!

Not to be done i dug through my scrap metal bits and found some ally !!!!
This went STRAIGHT in the BIN !!!!!

I couldn't give up now !!!! so took hold of the original plastic cover and gave it a GOOD COAT OF LOOKING AT !!!!!

On closer inspection the cover doesn't give any protection at all to the casing !!!! looks like its just there to stop stuff going in the side !!!

Back to the scrap bin !!! and another piece of ally , started forming this to the same shape as the plastic !!!

Offered it to the cover

Bolted (top left)

Fixing the bottom took some working out , but finally came up with this

OK i know it's not the best but at least it's better than nothing !!!! I will get some 3mm steel and make a better FLAMINGO !!!

The reason all this started was i picked this bike lift up for 50 , bargain !!! and had to see if it worked

Hoped you enjoyed my messing about and i'm more than open to other ideas

Phil
Old 05-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #64202
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post

Phil
Yep, understand where you are coming from.

I made mine from some 10 mm plate with some 3 mm for a cover. Used a hole saw and a al cut off wheel in a 4" grinder to shape it. Some captive spacers behind to get it centred and to space the cover off the sprocket.

The VSM one I purchased fell apart with fatigue failures in the creases, junk.

Steve
Old 05-13-2012, 02:01 AM   #64203
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Thats more like it Steve.................................i see phase 4 coming up

Cheers Phil
Old 05-13-2012, 02:06 AM   #64204
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
Yeah, thanks for that, but ADV Grifter lives north of me in the Bay Area of NorCal, this ironsand stuff is mainly in New Zealand and Java and maybe Japan; but not likely to get onto either of our motors, or any other motor in the U.S. of A. Or probably Australia, but I'm just guessing here.

While I know ADV Grifter is widely traveled, I hadn't heard he's been to New Zealand - though, I wouldn't be surprised.

I do appreciate learning of ironsand, appears to be a nuisance for beach-goers and I'm happy to report I've not seen any in CA, USA.

Lex
Old 05-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #64205
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 441
Hi Phil, I've enjoyed your Ride Reports elsewhere on this site, you're very "adventurous."

I wonder, are you maybe re-inventing the wheel here?

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

Case Saver chain guard
DR650SE '96-'12
$34.95
This nice piece replaces your plastic sprocket cover and protects your engine case from a chain derailment or failure. The 3/16" (5mm) thick steel plate is adjustable to accommodate 14, 15 and 16 tooth sprockets. Includes mounting hardware.

Lex

Quote:
Having both a DR 650 and 350 i noticed there is no chain guard round the front sprocket on the 650 !!! The only protection given to the casing on the 650 is the PLASTIC cover !!!!

Now as i like to use the 650 as intended , Morocco , Pyrennes and dirt round home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfE9b...etailpage#t=3s
i thought a try and knock something up
1st attempt
I had a go at copying the 350 style one.

I also like owt fer nowt so started digging around the garage and found this old guard off a circular saw

After an hour or so ended up with something that looked more like a FLAMINGO than a chain guard !!!

NOT the best fit and thats the last of my 2mm steel

I shelved this one untill i get some more steel, maybe go for 3mm next time !!!

Not to be done i dug through my scrap metal bits and found some ally !!!!
This went STRAIGHT in the BIN !!!!!

I couldn't give up now !!!! so took hold of the original plastic cover and gave it a GOOD COAT OF LOOKING AT !!!!!

On closer inspection the cover doesn't give any protection at all to the casing !!!! looks like its just there to stop stuff going in the side !!!

Back to the scrap bin !!! and another piece of ally , started forming this to the same shape as the plastic !!!

Offered it to the cover

Bolted (top left)

Fixing the bottom took some working out , but finally came up with this

OK i know it's not the best but at least it's better than nothing !!!! I will get some 3mm steel and make a better FLAMINGO !!!

The reason all this started was i picked this bike lift up for 50 , bargain !!! and had to see if it worked

Phil
Old 05-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #64206
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Yeah, thanks for that, but ADV Grifter lives north of me in the Bay Area of NorCal, this ironsand stuff is mainly in New Zealand and Java and maybe Japan; but not likely to get onto either of our motors, or any other motor in the U.S. of A. Or probably Australia, but I'm just guessing here.

While I know ADV Grifter is widely traveled, I hadn't heard he's been to New Zealand - though, I wouldn't be surprised.

I do appreciate learning of ironsand, appears to be a nuisance for beach-goers and I'm happy to report I've not seen any in CA, USA.

Lex
He might have taken a wrong turn on the last ride and went through NZ by mistake.
Yes I have worked at that steel mill.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #64207
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Phil, I've enjoyed your Ride Reports elsewhere on this site, you're very "adventurous."

I wonder, are you maybe re-inventing the wheel here?

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

Case Saver chain guard
DR650SE '96-'12
$34.95
This nice piece replaces your plastic sprocket cover and protects your engine case from a chain derailment or failure. The 3/16" (5mm) thick steel plate is adjustable to accommodate 14, 15 and 16 tooth sprockets. Includes mounting hardware.

Lex

Thanks Lex
I've seen this sight before and it's great , BUT postage to France is unreal !!!!! they want best part of $42.00 to post that guard !!!!! $77 for a piece of steel all in.
Thanks anyway , but my wife says "i was born to mess"

Made this the other day out of an old stainless steel microwave !!!!

Phil
Phil
Old 05-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #64208
carcajou
Resourceful Weasel

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
mambo...just curious. If you're planning to put on a 17 tooth gear and slap commute with it, why are you interested in a dr versus maybe a wee strom?
+ 1!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #64209
carcajou
Resourceful Weasel

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Yeah, well, I'll be riding for the next four months while you're hiding in the nearest air conditioned movie theater.
Wednesday at 11,600 feet fer instance:

+1 and We dont have to ride for days to get here. I live in the Springs and rode to work all but three days this winter.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #64210
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Anyone running the Vibranators? Since switching to a pair of Fly Aluma-Steel 7/8" bars the vibrations are a bit heavy.

Also, anyone know what Vibranator kit I would need for my setup of those bars and also running the Tusk D-Flex handguards.
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #64211
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Is Super Clean like Simple Green? Is it an Alkaline base type cleaner?

I use Made In Germany S-100. (also an Alkaline base cleaner, I think) You can never use on a hot motor and never leave bike in the Sun. You have to be very careful on any sort of Aluminum or Magnesium. It will stain and pit it.
I constantly re-wet it ... with just a lite mist to keep it working. Once it dries you could have trouble.
Always rinse very well.
S-100 can also etch over time. And like you said Grift, never, ever apply cleaners to a hot engine. You will scar it.
Here's a tip I got and have been using since. Shout laundry spray. Gentle as in it will not etch, but it melts dirt and grime off after 5 mins and a hose.
Give it a try fellas. I find it works great.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #64212
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post

The reason I asked if you still have the stock BST 40 CV carb on your bike, and if you cut/modified the top of the air box is because of the routing of the slide chamber atmosphere vent hose/filter. There have been reports this vent hose filter that sits right over a "desnorkled" or cut air box opening can cause surging as it picks up the constant changing of positive and negative pressure waves within the air box. This can add to the slide oscillation that makes the CV carb the POS it is. On the plus side drilling the slide makes for better throttle response because it allows the slide to react faster...on the down side this faster reacting slide can make the oscillation of the slide (surging) even worse. This is why many elect to bypass this step in the Dyno Jet instructions.

Tech23
I've got a Dyno jet kit and drilled slide, and I've added a bit of preload to the slide spring to reduce surging. It's still a bit aggravating on a cool windy day. What about routing that vent hose/filter down in that crevice between the air box and shock?

Sarah
Old 05-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #64213
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
this is how it look on the DR

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nguard005.jpg/
Quote:
Thats more like it Steve.................................i see phase 4 coming up

Cheers Phil
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #64214
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
I've got a Dyno jet kit and drilled slide, and I've added a bit of preload to the slide spring to reduce surging. It's still a bit aggravating on a cool windy day. What about routing that vent hose/filter down in that crevice between the air box and shock?

Sarah
Surging is in my experience a jetting problem. Carburetion problems during cross winds (which I would describe differently) are usually caused by misrouted vent hoses. Preloading the slide spring will cause the slide to come up off of the stop later (in terms of air velocity) and cause it to rise less for a given velocity (i.e. intersection of throttle position and rpm). If you want to lower the slide's sensitivity, that has to be accomplished by increasing damping. The way to increase damping is by reducing slide lift hole area. Increasing the damping (at least back to stock) is a good idea, as it will help reduce the chronic slide guide, emulsion tube, jet needle, and slide wear BST carbs are known to exhibit.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #64215
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
That is why I combine orders to offset postage costs. I'll grab a pile of service and/or wear items. Brake pads or disks, clutch plates, chains, sprockets, cables etc even when they're not due and little stuff that is not necessary, but are on the wish list. I can always find a way to pack out an order to make the postage worthwhile.
Even on gear that Procycle does not stock I have found Jeff (himself) to be helpful sourcing parts. Depending on your local prices and import regs a $300+ order plus freight might still be a long way cheaper than buying locally.
I've thought of that one aswell Numbers !! but other than the odd thing i can get most stuff here , the DRs are very popular in France ,it's just , lets call it the Touratech type stuff isn't available of the shelf.
I'll have one last ditch attempt at making one and if not successful i'll get the Procycle one
Cheers Phil