Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #64396
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty2eighty4life View Post
Hey guys, long time lurker, new member. Long story short I'm about to pick up a 2012 dr650 and the lowest I can get them down is 300 off retail. This puts final cost after handling/tax at 6900. Is this a reasonable price? Reason I ask is because they say it is a very hot bike this year...thanks for any quick responses.
You could certainly find a barley used couple year old bike for between $4000 and $5000.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #64397
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,170
Oh DR gurus, I have hit my first minor snag not more than 24 hours into owning the bike... what is the prevailing wisdom of how to raise the stock shifter up a notch or so? I just tried to, but it seems to hit the side of the engine case which wold prevent it from moving enough to upshift it.

I wear boots, and often wear off-road boots. Sure, I can angle my foot and wedge it down under the shifter for upshifts as I have thus far, but on both of my other bikes (in my signature) I've easily raised the shifters to accommodate boots Why would an off-road bike be more limiting than road bikes?

Thanks for any help with this.

A picture of the new (to me) bike out in old grown-over orange groves this morning:

their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #64398
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,228
Is there a mark on the engine cover ? check that the shift lever is not bent in already.
It might need tweaking.

49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #64399
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Thanks for such a fast reply ADV8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
Is there a mark on the engine cover ? check that the shift lever is not bent in already.
It might need tweaking.

a-ha! So the chain cover needs taken off to do it. Sorry, I wrote 'case' - but it's actually the inner portion of the shifter - like right ahead of the shaft - that hits. But... I don't really want to take my chain cover off... at least I don't think I want to for commuting - but I will take it off for off-roading since I guess that's what you do.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 05-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #64400
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richguzzi View Post
I've only put about a hundred miles on it so far and am a happy man. It shares the garage with a '71 Moto Guzzi Ambassador and an '85 Cagiva Alazurra Street Tracker project. Hello all old time members. One question though.
The clutch seems to let out very late, slipping lightly till out causing the bike to feel like it's geared rather high. Is this normal and is there an adjustment for when the clutch lets out or is the only option to just put some slack in the cable? And yes I have read the entire thread before this first posting. You guys talk a lot ... Rich

Adjusting the slack/free play at the lever is about it.
I don't think its ever going to feel like a MG lever.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=209
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
Old 05-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #64401
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

a-ha! So the chain cover needs taken off to do it. Sorry, I wrote 'case' - but it's actually the inner portion of the shifter - like right ahead of the shaft - that hits. But... I don't really want to take my chain cover off... at least I don't think I want to for commuting - but I will take it off for off-roading since I guess that's what you do.
That is a old pic I just grabbed,I had run the sprocket cover off but it has been back on for some time now,it should not interfere with the shift lever.
Post up a pic of what it looks like on your DR perhaps.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #64402
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,844
Quote:
Oh DR gurus, I have hit my first minor snag not more than 24 hours into owning the bike... what is the prevailing wisdom of how to raise the stock shifter up a notch or so? I just tried to, but it seems to hit the side of the engine case which wold prevent it from moving enough to upshift it.

A picture of the new (to me) bike out in old grown-over orange groves this morning:

It needs bending a bit.I have size 13 boots and I think I had to move it 2 splines.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #64403
Richguzzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post

I don't think its ever going to feel like a MG lever.
It's ok, one extreme wrist exerciser is enough...
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #64404
Go Irish75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:

I wear boots, and often wear off-road boots. Sure, I can angle my foot and wedge it down under the shifter for upshifts as I have thus far, but on both of my other bikes (in my signature) I've easily raised the shifters to accommodate boots Why would an off-road bike be more limiting than road bikes?

You may want to look into lowering your footpegs down and back an inch each way. You can do this a few ways. 1) buy the lowered footpegs from Pro Cycle, no ground clearance loss, 2) chop and reweld your stock pegs, no clearance loss. 3) get lowering brackets http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422338 that lower and move your pegs back an inch. With the brackets you lose a tiny bit of clearance with the ground due to them sticking below the frame. Once you do this, you will be able to adjust your shifter and brake levers to any height you wish and they will not interfere with anything. I also agree that you should compare your shifter to someones elses to see if yours been bent before.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #64405
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Normal - You might be able to adjust the clutch a little but you be likley happier just swithcing to a 14 tooth front sprocket. Take a look at

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

14T sprockets require a new smaller the 3-hole retainer plate. You can use the stock retainer plate but you have to grind it down a bit to fit.

(I switch back and forth between 14 (dirt) and 15 (street) all the time - it takes 10 to 15 mins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richguzzi View Post
One question though.
The clutch seems to let out very late, slipping lightly till out causing the bike to feel like it's geared rather high. Is this normal and is there an adjustment for when the clutch lets out or is the only option to just put some slack in the cable? And yes I have read the entire thread before this first posting. You guys talk a lot ... Rich

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time

Escaped screwed with this post 05-16-2012 at 04:10 PM
Escaped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #64406
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Irish75 View Post
You may want to look into lowering your footpegs down and back an inch each way. You can do this a few ways. 1) buy the lowered footpegs from Pro Cycle, no ground clearance loss, 2) chop and reweld your stock pegs, no clearance loss. 3) get lowering brackets http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422338 that lower and move your pegs back an inch. With the brackets you lose a tiny bit of clearance with the ground due to them sticking below the frame. Once you do this, you will be able to adjust your shifter and brake levers to any height you wish and they will not interfere with anything. I also agree that you should compare your shifter to someones elses to see if yours been bent before.
Yeah, I may be stuck with the stock stuff for a little while. The interference is just ahead of the weld on the short perpendicular part. I'd have to take it off and move it up a notch to take a picture of how it hits, but it doesn't seem like that part is bent in, nor that the shifter even bend much so close to the weld to the clamp.

Thanks for the help, guys, I'll probably tackle taking a picture of it again next week once I try to move it up again.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 05-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #64407
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Hey guys, long time lurker, new member. Long story short I'm about to pick up a 2012 dr650 and the lowest I can get them down is 300 off retail. This puts final cost after handling/tax at 6900. Is this a reasonable price? Reason I ask is because they say it is a very hot bike this year...thanks for any quick responses.
The DR650 is a HOT bike this year ... and has been the last couple years.
You may have to travel to get a deal. Look for left over '11 on Cycle Trader.

I'm guessing you're buying NEW to get 0% financing. You could pay HALF that $7000 if you bought used. Lots of nice used, low mileage DR's around in the $3500 to $4300 range. Some even have lots of extras. DR's don't really wear out. Anything under 10K miles is fine. Think about it. Re-sale is still not the greatest ... so a brand new bike will drop two grand in a year if you pay $7000.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #64408
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Best way to bend your lever is to remove it and put it in a Vise. But I've done it on the side of the road after crashing.

Get something BIG ... like a Pipe that can go round the lever and go a few inches down on it. Bend S L O W L Y outward.

Next, remove front sprocket, cover 3 bolts. Remove 10mm bolt holding shift lever. Pull it OUT. Now work shift lever off. NOTE. Notice where it is NOW, before you pull it off. Probably go UP only one or two splines. Re-fit back on, replace bolt ... TIGHT. Replace plastic cover.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 05-16-2012 at 09:25 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #64409
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:

MSRP on a 2012 DR650 is only $6000. I can't imagine $900 in taxes and fees.

Just to give you an idea: When I bought my new 2009 in 2010 the MSRP was only $5600. I got it for $5000 plus $300 in taxes and fees for a total of $5300.

Edit: just searched for the west coast. Simi Valley Cycles has the 2012 DR listed at MSRP $5999 and a 2011 DR for $5300 (and in white!). I would tell them to shove it at $6900!

Mongle screwed with this post 05-16-2012 at 05:05 PM
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #64410
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Since it is a 2012 and the unpopular Gray color maybe you can use that as leverage. Mine is the white one which is the most popular color so they were pretty damn firm. But I got em down a bit.
Mikey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote