Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #64396
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,026
Does anyone else find seating the air filter a bit of a nuisance ? I just cant get a positive feel that the sucker is seated properly or if the plastic retainer nub is even in the filter cage hole. One thing about the XR650 that was pure Honda was the air box. Fool proof and no tools needed to service. This one I find a bit of a hassle especially with an after market filter.

Another note, the turn signal relocater bracket from Procycle work perfectly in regards to the Acerbis tank. Good job Procycle !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #64397
garnaro
MotoBlunderer

Oddometer: 227
thank you! awesome video - this may save a lot of time if a similar problem crops up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
I spent a half a day doing experiments to try and isolate the odd vibration I feel in the footpegs on light acceleration, especially in 5th gear.

I tried to check everything that was suggested after the last video:

">

Note: there was no hesitation or stumble heard from the engine while making the video. From its sound and seat-of-the-pants testing, it is running very smooth. The chain sure is getting some harsh input from somewhere however!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #64398
garnaro
MotoBlunderer

Motosurf the DR

Hey guys - just put up my first ride report that I did on the DR. Teaser:

Old 05-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #64399
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsOnMyBoard View Post

Saw it already ! I am headed for the Lost Coast myself this Sept. WBCDR-OBCDR-then into the Lost Coast, then over the Sierra's and down to Reno where the trip will end 15 days later. THIS backcountry expert is a good friend of mine and has routed us. He knows the Lost Coast well.
Can't wait !

Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #64400
garnaro
MotoBlunderer

air filter fiddly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Saw it already ! I am headed for the Lost Coast myself this Sept. WBCDR-OBCDR-then into the Lost Coast, then over the Sierra's and down to Reno where the trip will end 15 days later. THIS backcountry expert is a good friend of mine and has routed us. He knows the Lost Coast well. Can't wait ! !

that sounds epic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Does anyone else find seating the air filter a bit of a nuisance ? I just cant get a positive feel that the sucker is seated properly or if the plastic retainer nub is even in the filter cage hole. One thing about the XR650 that was pure Honda was the air box. Fool proof and no tools needed to service. This one I find a bit of a hassle especially with an after market filter.

Another note, the turn signal relocater bracket from Procycle work perfectly in regards to the Acerbis tank. Good job Procycle !

Yes, the air filter seems fiddly, think I got the hang of it on the second cleaning. Luckily I'm blissfully ignorant about it being easier on other bikes
Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #64401
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Re: Chain vibration video V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravintoad View Post
Great video.
I will retract my earlier statement about it being in your head and rephrase by saying its the nature of the beast.
Since you have mentioned this, I have started to pay attention in 5th and around ~67mph, I do feel a vibration, but I still don't think it's an issue. There are so many different things going on to cause the vibration, I don't think it can really be tuned out.
In the course of experiments, I changed from the 14t to the 15t front sprocket. This moved the vibes up to 65-70MPH, and lessened them a bit.

Some things learned, during video and on test rides:

- Going from 14t to 15t sprocket reduces vibes
- Tightening rear spring increases vibes
- Tightening chain (1 notch tighter is just a hair too tight, but I tried anyhow) reduces vibes

What all of these things have in common is: changing the chain-to-top-of-swingarm distance. When the chain runs closer to the top = more vibes and unnerving jackhammering.

I also noticed that the 15t front sprocket allows me to run around town (50-55 MPH) without going to 5th gear. I don't run into the vibe zone (65-70MPH) anymore and I can basically ignore it.

Maybe I'll try a 44t or 45t rear with a 15t or 16t front. That would give me ideal gearing without closing the chain-to-swingarm distance.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #64402
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsOnMyBoard View Post

Incredible location! Where is this?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #64403
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
In the course of experiments, I changed from the 14t to the 15t front sprocket. This moved the vibes up to 65-70MPH, and lessened them a bit.

Some things learned, during video and on test rides:

- Going from 14t to 15t sprocket reduces vibes
- Tightening rear spring increases vibes
- Tightening chain (1 notch tighter is just a hair too tight, but I tried anyhow) reduces vibes

What all of these things have in common is: changing the chain-to-top-of-swingarm distance. When the chain runs closer to the top = more vibes and unnerving jackhammering.

I also noticed that the 15t front sprocket allows me to run around town (50-55 MPH) without going to 5th gear. I don't run into the vibe zone (65-70MPH) anymore and I can basically ignore it.

Maybe I'll try a 44t or 45t rear with a 15t or 16t front. That would give me ideal gearing without closing the chain-to-swingarm distance.
I'm a street only rider running 16/43, keeps the chain slightly farther away from the chain slider, and guide.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #64404
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Mount that GoPro to the subframe if you can and angle it the same way, then go for a ride and see if the results are different.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #64405
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Check this site out. Scroll down to the Lost Coast.
http://backcountry-byways.blogspot.com/

Old 05-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #64406
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I spent a half a day doing experiments to try and isolate the odd vibration I feel in the footpegs on light acceleration, especially in 5th gear.
Nice job on the Video. You're looking ... but not seeing.
Change your cush rubber dampers. Sure ... yours look fine. They are not.
Change them.

Use a light Emery Cloth to clean up your Axle. Polish it with Alu or Steel wool after that. Grease, re-install.

Double check all bearings, especially internal Hubb bearings.

Next, get rid of both UPPER and LOWER chain rollers. They are well known noise makers. Both of mine are GONE ... and have been for 4 years.

The Chain Guide makes noise when NEW. But once broken in (around 10K to 15K miles) noise abates. I glued an HD rubber strip along the lower, inside run of the Guide. SILENCE.

Always check your chain tension on TOP of the swing arm, not the bottom.
That said, your adjustment looks correct.

Forget the trans clunking. There is nothing to be done other than buy a Shaft Drive bike! The 14T sprocket is probably a bit noisier and may produce more vibes, not sure on this.

Replace you Cush Rubbers, remove Chain Rollers and you will be happy.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #64407
garnaro
MotoBlunderer

Quote:
That photo was along the banks of Big River just south of Mendocino in N California. The water was even kind of warm!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #64408
fifty2eighty4life
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Possible new owner

Hey guys, long time lurker, new member. Long story short I'm about to pick up a 2012 dr650 and the lowest I can get them down is 300 off retail. This puts final cost after handling/tax at 6900. Is this a reasonable price? Reason I ask is because they say it is a very hot bike this year...thanks for any quick responses.
fifty2eighty4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #64409
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 575
+1 You don't have a problem with the chain or transmission. Chains make these noises under those conditions..

Nice video!

Relax and enjoy your DR! Don't over tigthen the chain. Less noise but real problems then develope.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravintoad View Post
Great video.
I will retract my earlier statement about it being in your head and rephrase by saying its the nature of the beast.
Since you have mentioned this, I have started to pay attention in 5th and around ~67mph, I do feel a vibration, but I still don't think it's an issue. There are so many different things going on to cause the vibration, I don't think it can really be tuned out.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #64410
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty2eighty4life View Post
Hey guys, long time lurker, new member. Long story short I'm about to pick up a 2012 dr650 and the lowest I can get them down is 300 off retail. This puts final cost after handling/tax at 6900. Is this a reasonable price? Reason I ask is because they say it is a very hot bike this year...thanks for any quick responses.
I got mine for $6400 out the door. However it was a 2011 and they had it on hand and it was their last one. Id say that's a fair price as it is a very hot bike right now but say its a done deal for $6700. Or if you are military then see if they give a discount for that too. Either way you won't be disappointed with it. Such a fun machine!

P.S. Is this in California?
Mikey Boy is online now   Reply With Quote