Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Jay View Post
Buy any DR you want as long as its mechanically sound. Cost to change color:

IMS tank= $260
rear fender= $65 (Oneida Suzuki)
front fender= $30
Krylon Fusion paint for fairing=$5

color change= $360 plus shipping
Or you could just order a complete set of plastics in black, white, yellow or blue (blue comes with white side panels) from Procycle for $350.
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #64428
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
Or you could just order a complete set of plastics in black, white, yellow or blue (blue comes with white side panels) from Procycle for $350.

Or (and I would never endorse this idea because it would be wrong) you could go to WalMart and get some spray paint and some beer and do the whole thing for $20.

Oh, my bad. That would be if you had a KLR, not a DR...........

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #64429
fifty2eighty4life
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Done Deal

Well, I'm officially picking up the DR! Got 'em down to just around 6800 OTD. Looks like this is "average" for the 2012's after looking around. I actually like the grey color too. Next question...

I know this has been posted a thousand times (and yes I have searched and am constantly doing so) but my question is this. If YOU had 1,800 dollars to spend on mods/farkles what would you buy? The bike will be set up for long distance touring with 60/40 road/dirt. This budget is to include bigger tank, rack/bags, and any other comfort/touring/etc. items. Also, if you could look back and do it all again for those who have bought/sold items over the years your experience and wisdom is greatly appreciated! (Trying to stray from the same process haha).
fifty2eighty4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #64430
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,219
The grey looks awesome in the flesh. Blended with black farkles.......

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #64431
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty2eighty4life View Post
Well, I'm officially picking up the DR! Got 'em down to just around 6800 OTD. Looks like this is "average" for the 2012's after looking around. I actually like the grey color too. Next question...

I know this has been posted a thousand times (and yes I have searched and am constantly doing so) but my question is this. If YOU had 1,800 dollars to spend on mods/farkles what would you buy? The bike will be set up for long distance touring with 60/40 road/dirt. This budget is to include bigger tank, rack/bags, and any other comfort/touring/etc. items. Also, if you could look back and do it all again for those who have bought/sold items over the years your experience and wisdom is greatly appreciated! (Trying to stray from the same process haha).
Oh boy....can of worms opened....
Mikey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #64432
KS Jay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
Not a bad deal but they don't include the tank

monkey

KS Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #64433
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:

Shit...I've paid $1800 to Procycle just for shipping so far...I don't know where to start answering that question
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #64434
KS Jay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Or (and I would never endorse this idea because it would be wrong) you could go to WalMart and get some spray paint and some beer and do the whole thing for $20.

Oh, my bad. That would be if you had a KLR, not a DR...........

12 pack Milwaukee's Best Premium= $6.75
2 cans Krylon Fusion= $10.00
1 can Krylon Indoor/Outdoor (for tank)= $4.00
masking tape= screw it

total $20.75

monkey

KS Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #64435
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
DR ignition switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathu View Post
Hi,

Now to get to the point of my post, one of the many things I need to sort out on this bike is the ignition switch, which is operational but in a very bad shape. I have to "play" alot with the key to be able to turn it on. Once turned on, it won't retain the key inside. I'm thinking about replacing the ignition switch entirely, but for some reason I can't find any aftermarket one for sale, and the OEM one seems overpriced at over 130$. Does anyone know of an aftermarket ignition switch for the DR650SE? - OR - does the ignition switch of any other Suzuki model fit the DR650SE?
For some reason, I only seem to find aftermarket alternatives for the older, pre-1996 DR's.

Thanks!
http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/Suzuki-114

I came upon this product line when searching for an aftermarket pick-up coil. One of these key switches may work for you and is $50 or less.

The pick-up coil was purchased from this outfit in California, took two days to reach me and was installed last Saturday. The bike works great now... it had no spark and found an open circuit using the test method in the service manual chapter 6 engine.

Keep us posted on your outcome.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #64436
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Chain Noise=slapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
In the course of experiments, I changed from the 14t to the 15t front sprocket. This moved the vibes up to 65-70MPH, and lessened them a bit.

Some things learned, during video and on test rides:

- Going from 14t to 15t sprocket reduces vibes
- Tightening rear spring increases vibes
- Tightening chain (1 notch tighter is just a hair too tight, but I tried anyhow) reduces vibes

What all of these things have in common is: changing the chain-to-top-of-swingarm distance. When the chain runs closer to the top = more vibes and unnerving jackhammering.

I also noticed that the 15t front sprocket allows me to run around town (50-55 MPH) without going to 5th gear. I don't run into the vibe zone (65-70MPH) anymore and I can basically ignore it.

Maybe I'll try a 44t or 45t rear with a 15t or 16t front. That would give me ideal gearing without closing the chain-to-swingarm distance.
Great Video. Have been watching my riding partner's chain and he mine, but the video shows great chain movement. I did put on the ProCycle lower chain roller with bearings. That helped a bunch to be quieter... and not lugging helps too.

Did you ever see the spring loaded chain idler as seen on a Honda ATC 250R? Have been dreaming of attaching one on the lower chain of my DR. Someone out there with great fabrication skills should come up with something for all of us to build.

Dave
Old 05-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #64437
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richguzzi View Post
You guys talk a lot ... Rich
Welcome aboard. Yes... talking motorbikes is the third most fun thing.

Dave
Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #64438
Richguzzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
I know this has been posted a thousand times (and yes I have searched and am constantly doing so) but my question is this. If YOU had 1,800 dollars to spend on mods/farkles what would you buy? .
Did you get the 0% financing too? Well I know that I have a daughter going to college next year so I think my first couple of hundred dollars is going to gas while I figure out what really needs screwing around with. I know I need the shorter sidestand but may just opt for a centerstand. I may have to ask Santa for a modified seat, skidplate, rear rack, suspension upgrades and a maybe a TM40. If he is feeling stingy I just might have to wait to sell my Guzzi....
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #64439
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:

Don't look back or second guess the deal you made. Life is to short to stress over a couple of hundred bucks. ENJOY and welcome!!

Get yourself some case savers (the kind you silicone on), you will drop the bike at some point and the shift lever can punch a hole in the case if not protected.
Also a skid plate for the bottom, and some kind of rear rack. After that it's all personal preferance -- and fun.
And don't forget to remove that top chain roller ASAP!
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #64440
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Move shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Oh DR gurus, I have hit my first minor snag not more than 24 hours into owning the bike... what is the prevailing wisdom of how to raise the stock shifter up a notch or so? I just tried to, but it seems to hit the side of the engine case which wold prevent it from moving enough to upshift it.

I wear boots, and often wear off-road boots. Sure, I can angle my foot and wedge it down under the shifter for upshifts as I have thus far, but on both of my other bikes (in my signature) I've easily raised the shifters to accommodate boots Why would an off-road bike be more limiting than road bikes?

Thanks for any help with this.

A picture of the new (to me) bike out in old grown-over orange groves this morning:

I tried to move the shifter one notch and it did not work so I ordered the PC Pivot Pegz, I will get them friday and use them this weekend so I will let you know how it works.
The pegs move down so your boot can get under the shifter and work the rear brake.Paul
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote