User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #64711
JMR
ridgerunner

Oddometer: 44
New Acerbis tank

Shes almost tricked out the way I want her. Latest addition is the new Acerbis tank (5.2 gal to near the top). First trip was out the pony express trail. We camped under the eclipse:

So far so good with the new tank. Perfect fit with the stock seat.

I like it!
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #64712
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinairflyer View Post
A few months ago I ordered the Seat Concepts seat kit for my '02 DR650 and asked for the foam to be a little softer than standard as I only weigh 130 lbs. and am 72 years old so my old rear end is not as tough as it once was.... and I ride some pretty long rides on the DR.

After riding the suggested 500 miles to break in the seat it was still somewhat firmer than I needed. All it took was one email to Robert at Seat Concepts to get the reply 'send the foam back, we'll fix it'. The new foam, a little softer, was received and it is almost perfect now, I'm sure it will be just exactly right after 500 miles or so.

My 185 lb. buddy also bought the kit for his DR650 and it was perfect for him as delivered.

The foam is quality and the cover is quality with double stitched seams. Easy to install and fits perfectly. I also bought a seat kit for my KLR250 and it is a great upgrade from the stock seat also.

Give these guys a try if your seat is not what you want. www.seatconcepts.com

L D 'Thinairflyer'
Seat Concepts products and the people behind them are the best in the business. I went to their shop and watched as they installed my klr seat. They treat you like long time friends and the seat is one of the best mods I did.

I am now about to take my DR seat there but this time I'm getting the gripper cover as this project bike is a little more dirt orientated.

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #64713
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post

So here's the question. How much more of an improvement will I see if I drop the coin on a new TM40 pumper from Uncle Jesse? Will the pumper work ok w/ the stock exhaust or do I need to budget an additonal bit of jingle for a GSXR can and midpipe?

I understand this is a fairly subjective question, but given the combined experience on this thread, I'll take subjective answers and make up my mind from there.

Thanks......
Here's my experience, I initially did the DJ kit and was happy with it for a couple years, then when I put in the FCR39, which as you may already know is very close to the TM40, the difference was incredible...

Stock carb --

DJ Kit --

FCR39 --
Old 05-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #64714
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,997
Right... what is the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to drill nice holes for safety wire.

I ask here because, OMG, damn near every bolt is loose on this 3000-mile bike, so surely you all must have had to address this.

I don't care about the super-spinner pliers, I think I have an old-school set of needle-nose for safety wire... but what type of drill bits, and what guide to use for all manners of DR650 bolts?

Fighting a game of trying to not lose all my bolts!
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #64715
Richguzzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Looking for a frame for crashed DR

Here's another frame I just saw.... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/3020877155.html

Richguzzi screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 03:21 PM Reason: Adding info
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #64716
suguzzi
Greybeard

Oddometer: 37
Tube sizes

Does anybody know the different size tubes that will work in the 120 or 130 17" rear? I have been trying to buy a spare for a trip to Alaska next month and having a hard time finding of the logical sizing. Have looked at several sites as well as calling Janet and Jessy to no avail. Any one know some alternate sizes that will work with no problems? Thanks in advance.
suguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #64717
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Right... what is the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to drill nice holes for safety wire.

I ask here because, OMG, damn near every bolt is loose on this 3000-mile bike, so surely you all must have had to address this.

I don't care about the super-spinner pliers, I think I have an old-school set of needle-nose for safety wire... but what type of drill bits, and what guide to use for all manners of DR650 bolts?

Have you tried loc-tite? Is that not for preventing the bolts from vibrating off?

I feel that the safety wire is like wearing the second underwear over your pants. Maybe necessary for the airplanes and some other purposes, not necessary for the DR, if you wear the first underwear under your pants (loctite).

YMMV as always
Old 05-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #64718
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguzzi View Post
Does anybody know the different size tubes that will work in the 120 or 130 17" rear? I have been trying to buy a spare for a trip to Alaska next month and having a hard time finding of the logical sizing. Have looked at several sites as well as calling Janet and Jessy to no avail. Any one know some alternate sizes that will work with no problems? Thanks in advance.
Most of the 17 inch tubes will work fine. I was also worried too much at one point. Even 18 inch tubes will work...Just buy whichever is available closest to your tire size.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #64719
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
The wheel is in the centre.
The swing arm like most motorcycles is asymmetrical.
Yep.

When I set my 18" up I used the disc as the reference point. Can't remember the numbers, but put a straight edge along the disc and measure to each side of the rim to locate the rim centre relative to the disc. then repeat with the new rim.

Measuring to the swingarm from the rim assumes the snail cams are right, and if they don't change, allow some form of repeatability, but its better, ie more accurate, to do it off the disc.

Steve
Old 05-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #64720
suguzzi
Greybeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerfz1 View Post
Most of the 17 inch tubes will work fine. I was also worried too much at one point. Even 18 inch tubes will work...Just buy whichever is available closest to your tire size.
Thank's for the quick reply fizzer. I thought I might be over eacting but didn't want to find out the hard way.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #64721
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by suguzzi View Post
http://www.happy-trail.com/Departmen...ubes-Only.aspx

A 4.25/4.5 or 5.00/5.10 will fit in either size tyre.
I just noticed Happy trails stock the same tubes I have been getting locally IRC and Kings.
They are good tubes,running Heavy Duty is debatable but have done so on the front on occasions.
The only thing I can not remember is which brand I patched (with no problems)
Note some are not pure rubber.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S

ADV8 screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 03:48 PM
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #64722
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

I'm surprised that you're finding loose bolts. The only two I had trouble with were the two holding the heat shield on the pipe by your right ankle. Are you sure you aren't thinking of yer buddy's KLR? I think I've checked my spokes a dozen times in 32k miles, only found a few that needed a little tightening. Have you been bouncing this thing off of the rev limiter for those 3k miles? (it gets buzzy up there)

I put blue Locktite on any bolts or screws I take out, for whatever reason, like farkles.

Harbor Freight has 1/16" drill bits, pack of 10, for $KLR cheap. Seems someone said to drill an allen head from both sides, not straight through. I've done it that way for 'awhile'. Make sure you start close enough to the edge so that the bit doesn't hit the solid center of the head. If it does, it will probably break when it 'turns' into the center of the head.

I drilled mine with an electric drill, bolts clamped in a vise. Gently, let the bit cut its way through. Watch your drill alignment and remember it's a 1/16" bit, just the weight of the drill will break it if you push crooked.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #64723
suguzzi
Greybeard

Done

Quote:
http://www.happy-trail.com/Departmen...ubes-Only.aspx

A 4.25/4.5 or 5.00/5.10 will fit in either size tyre.
I just noticed Happy trails stock the same tubes I have been getting locally IRC and Kings.
They are good tubes,running Heavy Duty is debatable but have done so on the front on occasions.
The only thing I can not remember is which brand I patched (with no problems)
Note some are not pure rubber.
Thanks ADV8, I forgot about Happy Trails. They are ordered and I'm a happy camper.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #64724
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Yep.

When I set my 18" up I used the disc as the reference point. Can't remember the numbers, but put a straight edge along the disc and measure to each side of the rim to locate the rim centre relative to the disc. then repeat with the new rim.

Measuring to the swingarm from the rim assumes the snail cams are right, and if they don't change, allow some form of repeatability, but its better, ie more accurate, to do it off the disc.

Steve
I also found on some Suzuki's the engine case part line was the centre of the bike.
Not gospel on all models though.

49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #64725
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,130
Quote:
I also found on some Suzuki's the engine case part line was the centre of the bike.
Not gospel on all models though.

And that's not the standard swingarm?