Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #64891
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Realtors like to say, "Location, location, location." Wouldn't be surprised to find the dealer in Dallas has more overhead that needs to be covered than the one in Texarkana. It's not always and entirely seller greed.

Lex
Nah, the bogus $600+ for freight and prep that most of the Dallas dealers charge per bike covers the overhead.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #64892
Born-to-ride
GSXR!!!

Oddometer: 64
Any one know where I can buy a adaptor sleeve to use between a FCR MX carb and stock airbox on the DR?? Either Oss or USA

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ipl2hx
Born-to-ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #64893
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,461
Interesting to hear that Bajaj owns a big chunk of KTM. Didn't know that. The sales people at the dealer didn't know anything about anything.... didn't know anything about any other KTM model, and didn't seem to know much about bikes in general.

Oh well, I was very impressed with the bike. Fueling seemed very good. And it had top notch build quality. I'd love to see that bike come to North America. A real competitor for my WR250X.

A few more pics of it here, plus some other bikes I saw:

http://www.fy-yff.com/2012/05/mumbai-motorbikes.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Indian Auto/Bike manufacturer Bajaj own 40% of KTM, with plans to buy more. I've seen this bike in the press for the last year. It's awesome ... and good to hear its reasonable in India. The 125 is already being imported to EU, not sure about the 200. I say bring it to the US, I'd bet it'd sell if its price is competitive.

And it might be really cool to tour India on if it's tough enough! (having ridden the "New" Enfields, not a huge fan. I like brakes! Bajaj also make the cool Pulsars you may have seen on the streets there. They also make a couple 150 or 200cc dual sport bikes (forget model name) that have good reps with travelers there.

Here's some info on KTM/Bajaj deal and the Duke 200.

http://www.livemint.com/2012/01/2418...debut-wit.html

Keyboard Diarrhea
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #64894
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post

Anyway, it's a very nice little bike and super cheap because they are assembled in India where labour costs are peanuts ($2,500 price tag even includes insurance and license) .

You couldn't get a KTM repaired here for that price.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #64895
maynard911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
Looked again today and it looks like magneto cover is leaking along with base gasket on the left side. I had the oil filled up to the F line and I let some out til its right at half between the low and full lines cold. I'm hoping I just had too much oil in it
Check your owners manual. To check the level, run the engine for a few minutes, turn off, and then wait 3 minutes. The level will be a bit lower than if you just checked it cold without running the engine.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #64896
MudBoat
Carburetarded

Oddometer: 8
Newburator

Hey all. Long time listener, first time caller.

I just bought my 2006 DR650 after selling my gsxr750 and searching for months. Ended up buying from someone on this forum. I totally love the bike and know I made the right choice.

This bike is having a slight stumble right off idle when given normal throttle. I see it is a common thing and people say to "drill out the brass plug and turn some screw". Well, I'm carburetarded. Can someone show me a picture of said brass plug and instruct me on which way to turn it to address this lean idle condition?
MudBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #64897
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBoat View Post
This bike is having a slight stumble right off idle when given normal throttle. I see it is a common thing and people say to "drill out the brass plug and turn some screw". Well, I'm carburetarded. Can someone show me a picture of said brass plug and instruct me on which way to turn it to address this lean idle condition?
I should be more specific, but it's just a few (more or less) pages back (edit to say, a few meaning 10 - 20 :) .

EDIT TO ADD http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=64794

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.

acesandeights screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 09:35 AM Reason: added specific link I was thinking of
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #64898
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I should be more specific, but it's just a few (more or less) pages back.

page 3240.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5295&page=3240

I don't like sand.
AST236 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #64899
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:

I just bought my 2006 DR650 after selling my gsxr750 and searching for months. Ended up buying from someone on this forum. I totally love the bike and know I made the right choice.

the post you want is here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...g#post18721986

but, don't bother. find an fcr39 or tm40 carb and install it and call it a day. everyone who has futzed w/the stock carb and then upgraded has said the difference is huge. if you are patient, you can find a used carb and save some cash; otherwise splurge on a new one.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #64900
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:

This is easy enough to do that I did it last weekend (including shimming the needle and drilling the slide) in under an hour. I was carb reluctant as well, but it's not that hard if you go slow and pay attention.

Not sure where you are located, but ask around and I bet there is a DR rider nearby that will gladly help you get your bike sorted. Might have to feed him though.

Welcome to the asylum and ride safe.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #64901
MudBoat
Carburetarded

Thanks for the awesome replies! That link with pictures is perfect!

Which way would I turn the screw to richen it up? CW or CCW?

What would be a fair price to pay for a used FCR39? I would also need to look up the needed accessories too.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #64902
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
Quote:
Thanks for the awesome replies! That link with pictures is perfect!

Which way would I turn the screw to richen it up? CW or CCW?

What would be a fair price to pay for a used FCR39? I would also need to look up the needed accessories too.
Jesse did an awesome series of photos on that project.

Since it's a fuel screw, in for leaner, out for richer.

If you like to tinker, like changing jetting, test ride, change another setting, test ride, etc. The FCR is a good choice, it has more adjustments available to get spot on jetting.

I rode my DR for 15k miles doing nothing more than replace the seat and pull the snorkle. At my 6k foot altitude, the stock jetting was close enough. But like many others, I'm getting tempted to upgrade to a pumper. I'll pick the TM-40, it's a plug and play with a few simple adjustments to get the jetting close enough. I like tinkering with the bike when I feel like it, but I won't be wanting to take the extra steps to get the FCR spot on.

I don't know what a good price would be, for either.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #64903
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 533
I see used FCR's for 250-300 already set up for dr650's. The one I bought I was told was off a Husky and did not need an adapter to fit the boot - it was a perfect fit including cables.

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #64904
shu

Oddometer: 980
I know the common thought is that the stock carb sucks- so here's just a little balance: I've ridden (happily) 44,000 miles from sea level to 14,000 feet, with a completely stock carb and airbox and never had it stumble, surge, miss or otherwise misbehave. Totally reliable.

Some might say that I don't know what I'm missing and that could be true. Ignorance (and no carb problems) is bliss.

.............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #64905
MudBoat
Carburetarded

Thanks all.

The TM40 being plug and play sounds good to me. I would really need to read up on carb tuning for the FCR39 it sounds like.

I have no problem tinkering and taking time to learn, but this bike is now my daily commuter and its over 100F outside for the next few months. Not sure how much tinkering I could stand. Also, apartment parking...

I need to find a Phoenix DR650 veteran in the regional forums!