Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #65041
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Load Clear View Post
I am waiting outside the garage door now so I will be first in line when they open on Tuesday. I am sure no one ever taught you and you learned everything on your own.

So it's got about 2 inches of play in it but sounds like it's smacking the crap out of the roller and swingarm. I was going to roll it one click to see what it feels like. <-- any advice on that?
Sorry for the wise ass comments ... just trying to save you from making expensive mistakes. Actually, I did learn a lot on my own ... and I destroyed a few bikes, go carts and scooters as a kid. After that I started hanging out at the local shops and bugging them. (I was 12 or 13)

The fact is there is lots here addressing all your issues. I realize no one is going to read through 60K posts ... but there are the Index topic. Listed as the 1st post on Thumpers, click on DR650. Bunch of topics, most are brief and to the point.

Sounds like someone did a super torque on your axle nut. Get a good 24mm wrench and put a pipe extender on it. Make sure you are going counterclockwise (loosening). It will break loose.

A quick chain slack test: Bike on side stand in neutral. About two inches in front of the chain guard on upper chain run, lift chain up. Two fingers should fit snugly under the chain. If much more ... then its loose. When you look at the lower chain run, mid way, should be just a bit of sag.

Keep the Snail adjusters numbers even ... and make sure wheel is pushed all the way forward before re-tightening axle nut. Axle nut needs to be TIGHT, but not so tight you can't remove on the road if you get a flat. Add some sort of extension in you kit to slip onto the Suzuki 24mm wrench. You can see on in this kit.

The 24mm is at the bottom in pic above, has elec. tape on it. The extension is just above, also taped. Tape is good.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #65042
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
With rim locks?
Good point. I don't use rim locks on my DR650. But I think Peter does have them on this XR650R ... unless he removed them. The point is ... especially for off road ... perfect balance is not required. For high speed riding over 90 mph you get some action with a badly out of balance tire. I haven't, so have not balanced the wheels. I can see the need however with rim locks if you're doing lots of high speed (over 80 mph) speeds.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #65043
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by local1 View Post
ok....my bike is a 97,the starter is fried. is this starter used on other suzuki products? since my wallet is saying look for used ones i need all the help i can get?
Most times the starter can be cleaned up, new brushes and good as new.
There was a guy here riding in S. America. His starter looked like Death! A elec. shop down there cleaned it up, new brushes and it was fine. We've seen a couple like this. If the commutator is OK you may not need a "new" or used starter. An alternator/starter shop can usually rebuild it. Or you can do it yourself with some research, time and elbow grease. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #65044
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 4,070
Any of you guys running something like the Fuzeblock FZ1 or similar on your DRs? I want to clean up the wiring on my bike eventually, and am looking for some good places to mount the block. I'd be running my heated grips, HID headlight and battery tender/heated vest off of it.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #65045
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Flagstaff az back road:
Old 05-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #65046
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 3,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Good point. I don't use rim locks on my DR650. But I think Peter does have them on this XR650R ... unless he removed them. The point is ... especially for off road ... perfect balance is not required. For high speed riding over 90 mph you get some action with a badly out of balance tire. I haven't, so have not balanced the wheels. I can see the need however with rim locks if you're doing lots of high speed (over 80 mph) speeds.

I don't know your friend Peter so I can not attest to his knowledge. But, I do work with some of the biggest names in racing here in NC. And I can tell you this for a fact: It is amazing what RACERs don't know. All those guys think they are doing something new when they are just taking a new take on old technology. Example: Piston sprayers and coating. The 1928 Pontiac split head 6 had both piston sprayers and coating on the piston from factory. Yes, there is some new technology, but most of it is recycled. With todays CAD programs and automated systems it is just now more available and affordable.

So, back to the question at hand: is balancing necessary? no...but it doesn't hurt. Doesn't take but a minute to balance one. While you may not feel vibrations your bearings might be getting the crap shook out of them for no reason. Some of this chain vibration problems some are having may be a balance problem at the wheel they don't feel in the bars but is being multiplied at the chain. Harmonics are terrible on anything mechanical or metal.

I think a little common sense goes a long way and I for one balance my wheels not for what I can feel but what I can't.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #65047
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,848
Procycle TM40

Anyone know if the throttle pull tension can be lightened up a bit ? Talking the Procycle pumper. Did a 700 mile (NJ to Bennington Vt), 2 day trip this weekend and man, by 1500 yesterday afternoon my frikin forearm was talking back to me and I'm not that much of a wuss. Although my wife may argue that.
Anyway to turn down the spring tension ?
52mpg btw with 50% off pavement and some good throttle crackin.

A few from the trip up and back.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 12:10 PM
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #65048
TBKahuna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Any of you guys running something like the Fuzeblock FZ1 or similar on your DRs? I want to clean up the wiring on my bike eventually, and am looking for some good places to mount the block. I'd be running my heated grips, HID headlight and battery tender/heated vest off of it.
Olas,

Look at www.easternbeaver.com. And no, it's not that type of beaver. They have a 3 circuit gizmo that I used on my previous DR.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...3_circuit.html

Although the owner/builder lives in Japan, I have found shipping to be not only reasonable but quick. I've used his products on my GS1200 and my previous DR. He does quality work and his website is very informative.
TBKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #65049
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Drilling the swingarm?

I think I already know this but thought I'd put it out there anyway.

Would I be risking life and limb if I drilled a 8mm hole thru the swingarm and then ran a steel bolt thru it?

Making an attachment for my new and improved trail jack and I'd like to mount it near the rear axle.

8mm bolt, retaining nuts on both sides, tightened down with nylock nuts. Other idea was to drill thru from the bottom and run a bolt with an exposed head on the bottom side to attach the jack to. I THINK going thru sideways would be less likely to cause any problems but that's just a wildassed, non-metallurgical engineer idea.

Any thoughts?

For reference, I don't plan on doing any hardcore dirt riding, fire roads, wide trails and pavement only, no jumps or single track.

And yes, I know I'm probably a bit obsessive about this jack thing, started another thread about it in the Garage forum, what can I say, I should have been a half-assed engineer/designer instead of a halfassed EMT...;^) It's just that every time I think I've got a neat, easy, workable solution, I see another way to make it work and fire up the drill press and the grinder.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #65050
local1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Why not pull it apart and see if it can be fixed?
You can often get new brushes at sears hardware, or an electric motor shop.

Are you sure its really bad and its not a switch/wire problem?
i think i will try this.i have had luck before with a toyota starter.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #65051
local1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
well i pulled the cover off to check to see if the starter was trying to engage and there was atleast half a gallon of gas/oil
behind the cover?? the bike has been sitting for acouple years before i recently bought it. i'm guessing the fuel drained down or something,but i would think that side of the motor is suppose to be dry? with the generator and things in there? any advice?? i have been working alot and havent had time to buy a manual yet. also there is oil in the airbox?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #65052
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 4,023
Just wanted to say, 80% worn trail wings kick ass on single track that's been in the shade for the last six months with only a few weeks of melted snow on them. Yeah, completely wet, completely muddy, deep sink holes are no match for trailwings! Or, at the end of all this I mean to say, don't take the trailwings off paved roads...you've been warned!

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #65053
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Anyone know if the throttle pull tension can be lightened up a bit ? Talking the Procycle pumper. Did a 700 mile (NJ to Bennington Vt), 2 day trip this weekend and man, by 1500 yesterday afternoon my frikin forearm was talking back to me and I'm not that much of a wuss. Although my wife may argue that.
Anyway to turn down the spring tension ?
52mpg btw with 50% off pavement and some good throttle crackin.
Beautiful pics Frank!

I've complained about the stiff pull on that POS Carb for a couple years now. No one has ever commented on it and I could not figure out why ANYONE would put up with that crap.

I only rode the TM40 carb'd bike for about an hour ... and I could already feel it. I have Carpel Tunnel ... and the wrist has been broken as well ... so it's a bit sensitive. The spring tension reminded me of an old Moto Guzzi (I owned two) or my buddies Laverda Jota 1200 Triple. Crippling throttles.

One thing I learned riding enduros in the "old guy" class was the importance of proper ergos and easy to operate controls.
I attended some great Enduro seminars lead by Larry Roessler and Dave Bertram and this was something they mentioned ... and a bunch more. A poorly set up bike will wear you out. Riding in tough off road, you need every advantage and every trick just to make through the four or five hours and 90 miles of Hell. Even a slightly stiff throttle is simply UNACCEPTABLE. Your street bike should be the same.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 07:18 PM
Old 05-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #65054
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 3,010
TM40 is "crippling"?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #65055
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Anyone know if the throttle pull tension can be lightened up a bit ? Talking the Procycle pumper.
If it is not light and does not snap back to closed, it either has a cable or cable routing problem or to much tension on the closing cable.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote