Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #65041
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,008
When new, the chain and chain guide (in front of the rear sprocket) can sound like a can full of marbles. It should wear in and quiet down. Mine was terribly noisy, but an overly tight chain can kill expensive parts.

I'm surprised that the stock wrench was cutting the nut. I welded my 19 and 24 together, and carry as one piece in my tool kit; so I rely on it working.

Strange how the larger wrench had a smaller handle. I forgot, the extension slips over the handle.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-27-2012 at 01:00 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #65042
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,835
Say, while we're talking about the chain area - does anyone have a part number or SKU number for the right sized threaded... um... "plug" that I could just order to replace the upper chain guide roller that everyone says is dangerous?

I'm so busy when away from work that I can't seem to remember to get, nor travel to find, the right part. But I know it needs done.

Should I replace the lower roller with a bearing-roller from Procycle?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #65043
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Upper chain roller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Load Clear View Post
No. On the side stand. Manual doesn't say whether to measure under load. I never took care of any of my stuff before. So trying to learn some simple things. I am all for being flamed for knuckle head questions.
Did you remove the upper chain roller yet? very noisey.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #65044
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Say, while we're talking about the chain area - does anyone have a part number or SKU number for the right sized threaded... um... "plug" that I could just order to replace the upper chain guide roller that everyone says is dangerous?

I'm so busy when away from work that I can't seem to remember to get, nor travel to find, the right part. But I know it needs done.

Should I replace the lower roller with a bearing-roller from Procycle?
You need an 8x1.25mm set screw, HomeDepot and Lowes have them. Or you can cut the threads off the bolt you take out, cut a notch for a screwdriver and use that.

Many of us have put a roller bearing lower roller on our DRs.

Quote:
Old 05-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #65045
shu

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Ok, First - I am a tool tool. Even so, adjusting the chain tension on my 2012 seems like something I can handle. The high quality Suzuki wrench and pipe for leverage is not breaking the locking nut. Only cutting into the nut (and popping mine...)

I have tried a few searches but cannot find a socket size for the nut (none I have fit). Any help and advice would be welcome.

Thanks - LC
If you start riding where your cell phone won't work, you'll want all the tools with you for changing a damaged inner tube. This is lightweight and strong and serves 2 purposes well:

Motion Pro- expensive, but an excellent tire iron wrench combo. 24 mm for the rear. (I use my calibrated right foot to tighten it up to the correct torque.)

...............shu
shu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #65046
shu

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate1 View Post
Hello everybody, first post, just joined but I need help... I bought a 1990 DR650S from a guy test rode it and checked it out pretty good before I bought it, seemed ok to me so I signed the title and payed $1700 to the man and rode away. This bike has been great for about a week or so just long enough to fall in love.... now to the problem at hand.

I was riding home from work, I am in the Army and stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa. I live about 30 miles from the base and I was just around the corner from the house when I noticed some hesitation and dropping RPM's so I pulled in the clutch and down shifted and the hesitation cleared up and the engine continued running perfectly. The traffic in front of me started slowing down so I pulled in the clutch and downshifted again and that is when everything went wrong....the engine died instantly and the back wheel locked up as would happen when the engine dies and the transmission is in gear. since I was still going about 30 miles per hour I figured I would pop it in second or third and let my speed restart the engine....it did not happen. I just skidded to a stop on the side of the road.

I put the bike in Neutral and on first kick the engine came to life just like normal....but when I shifted into first ( clutch pulled in) the bike lurched forward and died. it was acting like I kicked it from neutral to first without pulling the clutch.
Disclaimer: no one would ever confuse me with someone who knows what they are doing.

But, I have had my DR die like that, and in my case it was a plugged gas cap vent that created a vacuum in my tank and restricted the fuel flow. The bike would die, I would pull over and mess around with things a bit, just long enough for the float bowl to refill. Then the bike would start up and die again. Do you have an aftermarket tank with a locking gas cap?

The dying when you put it in gear sounds like one of the 'safety' cut off switches, clutch or sidestand.

Those are the things I would check first, but remember my disclaimer.

.............shu
shu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #65047
Load Clear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Roller

Thanks all - I've read quite a bit about the roller. Definitely noisy. Haven't brought myself to remove it yet. Trying to do as little damage as possible by not putting tool to bike unless I know exactly what I am doing.

Maybe I am just a pansy but I could not get the nut to turn. Hopefully, once I get it the first time it will be easier to do with the suzuki wrench
Load Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #65048
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
roller

Sounds like the nut has been really torqued down. I would go get a socket and then use a longer bar to break it loose. Then retighten with the tool you will be carrying so as you can get it loose out on the road.
Art

Quote:
Thanks all - I've read quite a bit about the roller. Definitely noisy. Haven't brought myself to remove it yet. Trying to do as little damage as possible by not putting tool to bike unless I know exactly what I am doing.

Maybe I am just a pansy but I could not get the nut to turn. Hopefully, once I get it the first time it will be easier to do with the suzuki wrench
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #65049
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
GSXR Exhaust

If any of you bought the GSXR exhaust, which spark arrestor did you get?

I'm looking at the FMF site and I see 4 different ones of varying sizes.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #65050
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Remember

Quote:

Left=loose or ccw
Right=tight or clock wise
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #65051
Load Clear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
Left=loose or ccw
Right=tight or clock wise
Ha - I do need this stuff super simplified but I knew that one..

Thanks all - I will have many more questions...
Load Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #65052
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,870
Quote:
Ha - I do need this stuff super simplified but I knew that one..

Thanks all - I will have many more questions...

Bring on the questions. I just bought my first DR a few months ago and have learned quite a bit here.

KTM budget/DR350 skill set.....
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #65053
local1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Bring on the questions. I just bought my first DR a few months ago and have learned quite a bit here.
ok....my bike is a 97,the starter is fried. is this starter used on other suzuki products? since my wallet is saying look for used ones i need all the help i can get?
Old 05-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #65054
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by local1 View Post
ok....my bike is a 97,the starter is fried. is this starter used on other suzuki products? since my wallet is saying look for used ones i need all the help i can get?
If you go to Ronayers.com and get the part number for that starter motor,then use the where is this part used feature it will give all the applications for that number.
I think the DR starter was very limited all the same,a few model perhaps including quads.

Just looked.
Only used on the 98 to 02 500 Quad besides the DR650SE.
Most likely on the Freewind also.
Or ????
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #65055
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
If any of you bought the GSXR exhaust, which spark arrestor did you get?

I'm looking at the FMF site and I see 4 different ones of varying sizes.
From here, page 23 (click arrow in lower left corner):
https://docs.google.com/present/view...c203OWhm&hl=en

I got this (FMF #S9000, yes, it's the right one):
https://www.denniskirk.com/fmf/titan...prd/432780.sku

Quote:
Originally Posted by local1 View Post
ok....my bike is a 97, the starter is fried. is this starter used on other suzuki products? since my wallet is saying look for used ones i need all the help i can get?
Thanks to Procycle:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=62353

Quote:

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-27-2012 at 05:08 PM