Oddometer: 2,969
TM40 is "crippling"?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #65072
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Anyone know if the throttle pull tension can be lightened up a bit ? Talking the Procycle pumper.
If it is not light and does not snap back to closed, it either has a cable or cable routing problem or to much tension on the closing cable.

49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #65073
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by local1 View Post
well i pulled the cover off to check to see if the starter was trying to engage and there was atleast half a gallon of gas/oil
behind the cover?? the bike has been sitting for acouple years before i recently bought it. i'm guessing the fuel drained down or something,but i would think that side of the motor is suppose to be dry? with the generator and things in there? any advice?? i have been working alot and havent had time to buy a manual yet. also there is oil in the airbox?
Rot Row! Was there water in there too?
Probably the Carb Float needle is leaking, allowing fuel to migrate into crankcase. Not good. Good reason to shut off fuel after riding.
What year is your bike?
Do NOT attempt to start bike. No idea what sort of damage this could have caused. Drain everything, let dry until ALL fuel (and water?) has evaporated.

Pull carb, clean and rebuild. The Clutch may be ruined if it sat in fuel or water. Replace. The DR uses a Stator (like a generator) and it lives in Hot oil. But fuel? Might have ruined it, dunno. Looks like a big job. Oil in air box is not unusual and not serious. Someone probably overfilled the bike with oil. The main crankcase vent will pump excess oil into air box. Just clean it up and learn to check oil. You may get lucky ... but no guarantees.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #65074
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,956
Quote:
Anyone know if the throttle pull tension can be lightened up a bit ? Talking the Procycle pumper. Did a 700 mile (NJ to Bennington Vt), 2 day trip this weekend and man, by 1500 yesterday afternoon my frikin forearm was talking back to me and I'm not that much of a wuss. Although my wife may argue that.
Since there were a few comments on this, I went to the garage & twisted my FCR and my son's TM40. Def lighter pull on the FCR but also less snap back. I'll check his routing again and also keep it in mind when I mount up my TM40 next weekend. It's been too long so I don't have a comparison to the stocker.

Beautiful pics - my kinda ride right there.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #65075
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Anything worth doing...

is worth modifying...;^)

The new and improved jack uses a ratchet, a nut and washer, a piece of tubing and a threaded rod to raise and lower the bike at either end. Once I finish up the base for it it'll lift the bike on dirt or pavement and the whole thing will break down into a pretty small kit.

I wrote about the issues I was having with using a simple lever type jack in another thread, in a nutshell, I'm just not comfortable trying to lift the front end of the bike and place a jack in place at the same time. The rear is easier using the pannier rack for leverage but it is also problematic when the bike is loaded for camping.

I've got one bad knee already (osteo arthritis and a ruptured PCL) that gives me problems on occasion and can cause my knee to simply give way at times. I do most of my riding alone and I wanted to be able to use the jack by myself and minimizing the chance of having any problems with it or with the knee.

I like to make stuff, especially stuff that serves specific needs and this little project does that.

Thanks for the thoughts on the swingarm, my plan is to drill thru the swingarm and then run a stainless steel bolt thru it, use some nuts to lock it in place and an nylock to hold the whole thing tight against the swingarm creating a small steel button of sorts that the top of the jack fits into. It will look like a small frame slider when I'm done, already put one on the skid plate and it works like a charm.

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #65076
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
TM40 is "crippling"?
I noticed the increased spring tension on my first ride with the TM40...other than noticing it, it was never an issue and I completely forgot about it and never felt like it needed to be reworked...and I'm real picky about the operation and positioning of my controls. I guess it presents itself as an issue to some more than others. I'd make sure the cables are routed properly and lubed, that includes making sure the inside of throttle tube is clean as well as the handlebar under it and apply a light coat of grease or graphite if you do a lot of mud riding.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #65077
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
I noticed the increased spring tension on my first ride with the TM40...other than noticing it, it was never an issue and I completely forgot about it and never felt like it needed to be reworked...and I'm real picky about the operation and positioning of my controls. I guess it presents itself as an issue to some more than others. I'd make sure the cables are routed properly and lubed, that includes making sure the inside of throttle tube is clean as well as the handlebar under it and apply a light coat of grease or graphite if you do a lot of mud riding.

Tech23
Agreed. I had the 40 on my last DR. At first I thought "WTF"? After a few minutes didn't notice it. When I'd get on my KTM the throttle felt loose and sloppy in comparison. All personal preference I suppose, assuming the throttle is set properly and not pinching anywhere, but "crippling" is a bit dramatic I think.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #65078
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
If it were mine, I wouldnt drill the swinging arm. Can't you use something like threaded rod right through the rear axle as a mounting base for your contraption?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793820

49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #65079
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by local1 View Post
well i pulled the cover off to check to see if the starter was trying to engage and there was atleast half a gallon of gas/oil behind the cover?? the bike has been sitting for acouple years before i recently bought it. i'm guessing the fuel drained down or something,but i would think that side of the motor is suppose to be dry? with the generator and things in there? any advice?? i have been working alot and havent had time to buy a manual yet. also there is oil in the airbox?
Now that Grifter has given you the worse case scenario, I'll give you another possibility.

Edit: If your fuel tank was already bone dry, what I say below doesn't matter, it probably is gas leaked down into the engine.

Define "at least half a gallon of gas/oil behind the cover". If it was truly a gas/oil mix, Grifter is right. But if it was just oil, there's nothing wrong. The 'generator and things in there' are supposed to be in crankcase oil, contrary to what one would think is ok to do with wiring and stuff.

If the bike has a stock petcock (see pics), the chances are at least 'fair' that fuel didn't leak down into the engine (unless the lever was left pointing straight down like the second pic, then it is gas/oil). Simple check: if there is still fuel in the tank, turn the petcock to RES (first pic), remove the larger fuel line from the petcock, gas should NOT flow. (it shouldn't leak in the ON position either) If it dribbles or leaks, you and Grifter are right, your engine is full of a gas/oil mix.

Nothing is wrong with an oily airbox for the reason given by Grifter.

Gas leaking into the crankcase doesn't kill the motor, what you do/did next is important. Tell us what you find, inquiring minds want to know.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 11:27 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #65080
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,221
thanks for all the feedback fellas.
the cables are routed correctly and the throttle snaps back as it should. its just after the eighth hour or so in the saddle i really start to notice it. the last 60 miles home was slab and just holding the throttle open for a good hour was wearing me down. even though i dont like them i would have done almost anythingfor a throttle rocker at that point.
guess i better start squeezing a tennis ball in my spare time. lol

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #65081
HairyBeardNQ
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Staintune Exhaust

Hi All,

I am super keen to chuck a staintune pipe on my DR650, does anybody know how hard they are to fit yourself? I reckon that it would be pretty straightforward, but I have been told that the jetting needs to be adjusted once the pipe has been fitted.

If I get the system, should I be able to remove the old one and install the new one myself and then should I take it to somebody to get the jets adjusted? It is a 2011 model bike so (apart from heaps of scratches from me smashing myself around on it - but loving it) it is in good condition. Just hate the hairdryer note of the exhaust! I want to hear it!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
HairyBeardNQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #65082
AllAroundAus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Staintune Eshaust

Yeah, if you know which end of a screwdriver to use, you should be pretty right to fit the staintune.
I bought my pipe from VSM and the new jets came with it. I don't know if they came from Stain tune or from Vince (VSM) himself.
I would recommend you look at getting your pipe from Vince. Changing a jet is a simple operation too. If you don't have a workshop manual, I would recommend you get one. The more things you do on your bike yourself the better off you are if you are out trailriding and something goes wrong. What I found great about buying gear from Vince is that he was always helpful if I needed to phone for help.
AllAroundAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #65083
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
thanks for all the feedback fellas.
the cables are routed correctly and the throttle snaps back as it should. its just after the eighth hour or so in the saddle i really start to notice it. the last 60 miles home was slab and just holding the throttle open for a good hour was wearing me down. even though i dont like them i would have done almost anythingfor a throttle rocker at that point.
guess i better start squeezing a tennis ball in my spare time. lol

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
I think it's just the nature of the beast. I don't have a TM40, but the throttle pull on the TM33 pumper on my DR350 is significantly stiffer than any of my other bikes (yes, the cables are in good condition and operating freely - everything is working as it should). I've read others complaining about the stiffness of the TM40 throttle, and I was hoping someone would have an answer for modifying it. If I ever decide to get a TM40 I will not be looking forward to the stiff throttle, in fact it's the one thing that deters me from getting one. I haven't tried to figure it out, but I have to believe there's a way to swap the spring to make it a little more user friendly.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #65084
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
I heard the same thing from FJR riders saying the throttle was soon stiff. I just kept riding and my muscles did the rest. It's not that stiff, my KTM was a bit lighter since it had a bst. It actually felt sloppy coming off a TM40 DR...

Cramp buster makes all kinds of rests, some very small and wide, some that come off easy. Sometimes its nice to ride open handed while resting your fingers.

The TM40 has the more to move so its always going to be slightly stiffer.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2

sagedrifter screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 06:56 AM
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #65085
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
I just finished the TM40 install. The cable routing makes a big difference in how the throttle will snap back. Even the way they run together can change things at full handlebar lock. Play around with it and use lots of ty-raps to hold them in the proper position.
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote