Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #65506
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Rather than building a tool or using just the impact wrench, could I just go out and get me one inch by one inch piece of steel that is 2 feet long? I think I read somewhere that the bolt holding the Damper is a 1 inch Allen.

A piece of 1 inch square tubing works perfect for holding the damper rod while you loosen/tighten the bolt.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #65507
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,116
[QUOTE=Snowy;18848367] Is that like a rule, or some sort of pissing match? QUOTE]

It's a picture thread of skidplates doing their job.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #65508
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Second guessing my seat choice?

Well I put on a new Seat Concepts seat and if feels great compared to the stock one when starting out on a long ride but an hour or two on it my butt seems to be hurting as much as my old Gel seat with a Walmart cover on it? Now what? Is it to soft or what? If I throw another pad on top of it I may not be reaching the ground! I have been riding bikes for years so it's not like my butt is that out of shape but I'm not Dolph Lundgren either!
When I first got this seat I thought that I had found my long ride answer. It is great for short rides but no better on long ones! Suggestion?
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #65509
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
Well I put on a new Seat Concepts seat and if feels great compared to the stock one when starting out on a long ride but an hour or two on it my butt seems to be hurting as much as my old Gel seat with a Walmart cover on it? Now what? Is it to soft or what? If I throw another pad on top of it I may not be reaching the ground! I have been riding bikes for years so it's not like my butt is that out of shape but I'm not Dolph Lundgren either!
When I first got this seat I thought that I had found my long ride answer. It is great for short rides but no better on long ones! Suggestion?
Any saddle will need time for your rear to settle in. Just switching between bikes with great seats takes me a while to feel good again. Give it a few rides and allow your muscles to adapt.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #65510
suguzzi
Greybeard

Oddometer: 37
Corbin

Quote:
I have a Seat Concept on my DRZ and found the same issue as you are having, but I have a Corbin on my DR and do not even think about the seat. I have done 550+ mile days without any problems. Even though they are heavy and a bit pricey it is well worth it IMHO.
suguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #65511
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Try a firmer foam.

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #65512
carcajou
Resourceful Weasel

Oddometer: 101
Need a Part Pronto

Hello Fellow Inmates
I was installing a FMF Q4 Exhaust upgrade, and have bungled the connector between the mid pipe and the header pipe. Non of the local dealers or online dealers have it in stock and it looks to be a 10 day wait for the pipe. I will be out of state for the rest of the month and am planning to depart July 1st to ride the Continental Divide Trail north to south. I kinda wanted to have the DR back together by this weekend instead of getting back from my trip throwing the bike back together and taking off. The part is a stock part for my 2009 DR 650 part number 1053526 and is called Connector, MUF
So does anyone know where one is in stock I can have rapid shipped to my house or does anyone know a substitute? It really is the gasket between the midpipe and the header pipe so there is not an exhaust leak. Thanks Roger
Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #65513
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by suguzzi View Post
I have a Seat Concept on my DRZ and found the same issue as you are having, but I have a Corbin on my DR and do not even think about the seat. I have done 550+ mile days without any problems. Even though they are heavy and a bit pricey it is well worth it IMHO.
it's not that one or another is better just different foam density works for different people. for many corbin is just too hard. seat concepts also makes a harder foam option. i'm happy with my sargent. it's softer than corbin, but not sure about how it compares to seat concepts or saddlemans.

i'd contact jeff as he's the one guy who stocks them all and would know
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #65514
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
All the Corbin saddles I've had and tried are very hard.

If you want hard, borrow a Corbin and experience the wide board. I have a custom Corbin and I'm a heavy guy, its never softend up. But, it works ok. At 300 miles my but needs a long rest, a nice casual lunch works well. I put 300 miles on this week in one sitting.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #65515
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
the stalling just above idle is from too rich a pilot jet tuning.

awhile back people found the traditional ways of fine tuning the pilot screw resulted in it being turned out too far the creating a rich bog just off of idle. try using 1 turn out and see what happens. turning up the idle helps but then you deal w/ another DR issue, 1st gear clunk and the solution is to turn the idle down so there is a trade-off happy point in there somewhere for you.

as for surging it's an issue for some because of the open airbox and air the pulse waves coming into the carb. some have it some don't. some have found putting a better filter on the carb vent helps (small round thing tucked up in there). others have put mesh screen on top of air opening or put back in the backfire screen (which procycle found makes no difference either way in or out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy One View Post
I recently installed the Pro-Cycle jet kit in my stock '09 DR650 and want to know if the pilot jet should also be changed.

I read through the BST40 Bible thread and it says that the pilot jet should be increased from the stock 145 to 147.5 if running a cut air box and aftermarket exhaust. The Pro-Cycle kit did not include this.

Is this the part I need? http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/MIKUN...__P2617C26.cfm

Also, I seem to have misplaced my instructions for the Pro-Cycle jet kit. Could someone scan them and post 'em for me? I just really need to double check a few things. The bike runs pretty well but does have a little surge at 55-65 mph and an annoying tendancy to want to stall (just above idle) when warm. Thanks!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #65516
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by suguzzi View Post
Do you feel that one is firmer or softer then the other? Seats are and odd thing to tack down. It's like how do people ride all day on a 10 speed seat? I'm thinking that some times it's where the seat rides like more on the boney middle part of your butt or on the outter fattier part that makes a differeance?
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #65517
suguzzi
Greybeard

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Do you feel that one is firmer or softer then the other? Seats are and odd thing to tack down. It's like how do people ride all day on a 10 speed seat? I'm thinking that some times it's where the seat rides like more on the boney middle part of your butt or on the outter fattier part that makes a differeance?
The Corbin is quite a bit firmer than the seat concepts. I better add that my seat concepts is also the lower model, which may have some impact on it"s long range comfort. I also run a Corbin on Guzzi Norge and like it as well, but must say the fit to the tank on the Norge seat is pretty shabby work for the price of the seat. I guess my old ass requires a firmer seat.
suguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #65518
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
Hello Fellow Inmates
I was installing a FMF Q4 Exhaust upgrade, and have bungled the connector between the mid pipe and the header pipe. Non of the local dealers or online dealers have it in stock and it looks to be a 10 day wait for the pipe. I will be out of state for the rest of the month and am planning to depart July 1st to ride the Continental Divide Trail north to south. I kinda wanted to have the DR back together by this weekend instead of getting back from my trip throwing the bike back together and taking off. The part is a stock part for my 2009 DR 650 part number 1053526 and is called Connector, MUF
So does anyone know where one is in stock I can have rapid shipped to my house or does anyone know a substitute? It really is the gasket between the midpipe and the header pipe so there is not an exhaust leak. Thanks Roger
ProCycle has them in stock
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #65519
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob808 View Post
On a side note, I need to put my engine back together and need to get a complete gaskets kit. Do you recommend the Athena one? It's the only one I can get locally for about 144$. Seems kinda steep. I'd get one online but I need to be sure that it won't damage the engine. I've red some horror stories with Athena gaskets for other bikes.
Athena makes the OEM gaskets for Aprillia, Ducati and others. They are high quality gaskets but certainly kinda pricey compared to other options. You certainly are not going to cause engine damage from a gasket.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #65520
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Ok inmates, looking for some knowledge. I had an electrical fire on my 2011 DR. I bought a used harness (in great condition) and replaced the old one. All the lights are working but when you press the starter nothing happens. It doesnt even turn over. There is an orange power wire that goes from the forward connector to the ECU that is missing. It seems that there are some differences in the wiring of the 96+ DRs. Has anyone had this problem? Its the orange wire with a black tracer.

Mikey Boy screwed with this post 06-06-2012 at 12:45 PM
Mikey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote