their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #65672
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,596
Just don't ride in the rain and you'll be OK.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #65673
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
I think I might have scored on a set of wheels and rims from a 08,
500$.Shipping is going to get me though.Their are in FL and I am in AZ.Seems like a good deal.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #65674
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
The TM40 and the BST40 are the same size and flow the same air. I always ran my BST with the needle at 4 down, thats 2 up from the bottom. 3rd notch was ok and it got me 48 mpg but, the surging was increased so, 4th notch was my preference.

With the TM40 you can run the needle leaner due to the pumper aspect. Mine runs great at the 3rd notch and gets better economy than the BST. 50 mpg plus is easy to do.

Both carbs run the same main jet for the set up. My TM40 likes more out on the pilot screw though. I run it about 2 3/4 turns out compared to 2 or less on the BST.

So, if both carbs were set at 3rd notch, 150 main and about 2 turns out they will both run about the same above say 3,000 rpm... I'm guessing there. The TM40 will give better throttle response and pull at a lower RPM better than a vacuum carb. Thats it, no big HP gains, no squid go fast BS.

If your having trouble its probably the install or the carb is not set up like you think. If you did not verify needle position, main jet size and AP rod position then you don't know where your at. Many times its an intake leak, loose or ill fitting boot, a bad choke knob fitting, vent lines going up hill etc..
good info on set-up.

the carbs may be the same size but the TM flows a good bit more air at W/O throttle than the BST.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #65675
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Cee Baileys

Any short guys like myself (68") have the Cee Bailey's Commuter windshield? how do you like it?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #65676
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
OK i sprayed around the carb with choke off using starter fluid. There was a slight increase in rpm but it wasnt huge. The thing is i have both manifolds on as far as they will go and the collars are screwed in as tight as they will go. I dont know how to create a better seal than that. How could I seal the manifolds better? Im also taking the bastard off to muck with the pilot jets.
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #65677
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
jonkohl - good catch.

N.dica - can you post up a few pics of the TM40 installed? I'm not adept at tuning carbs but something on the install may look off.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #65678
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.dica View Post
OK i sprayed around the carb with choke off using starter fluid. There was a slight increase in rpm but it wasnt huge. The thing is i have both manifolds on as far as they will go and the collars are screwed in as tight as they will go. I dont know how to create a better seal than that. How could I seal the manifolds better? Im also taking the bastard off to muck with the pilot jets.

I bet you have found your problem. I may not seem like much but it doesn't take much of a leak to mess you up. As far as getting a better seal; just go slow and careful. Clean an check the mating surfaces carefully. I have had a leak that went away for no apparent reason after I took the carb off and put it back on carefully. Could have been a tiny piece of sand or something, who knows. Good luck.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #65679
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
jonkohl - good catch.

N.dica - can you post up a few pics of the TM40 installed? I'm not adept at tuning carbs but something on the install may look off.
yeah i can do. Ive got her off at the moment to do a run through. One of the links said a guy used araldite to make a seal on his front manifold, but I didn't think I should have to use an epoxy to make a seal. The manifold on the bike is in good shape, and the rubber is in good condition. The nipples were cut off, and the carb was in fully and the ring cinched down as much as possible.. I thought it was supposed to come sized from procycle so I wouldnt have to use any sort of epoxy to make the seal. And if that is the problem- as the starter fluid indicated there is to some extent, i still dont know what the best sealing compound would be that wouldnt be problematic with future carb work.. I do not want to use an epoxy to make a better seal if I can help it..

Ill take some pics...

cheers
Old 06-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #65680
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

I think I found the problem!

Ok- so procycle puts a ring around the carb where it plugs into the engine head, basically sizing it to fit the rubber manifold of the bike....

I inspected that ring very closely and noticed that where the ring was epoxied onto the carb, procylcle missed a spot and I can see a slight bit of light coming through from the backside of the ring, MEANING, even with everything plugged in properly and cinched down, the vacuum leak appears to be coming from inbetween the carbureator mouth and the adapter ring procycle put on there. which no amount of refitting would be able to seal.

My question now is what kind of sealant would be best to put directly on the carb that will hold and block this space.
This is my next step and Ill see if this solves the problem before doing any more wrenching.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #65681
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,054
Hopefully ProCycle will step up and make it right. At some point I want to get the pumper for my bike, so I've been following this pretty closely.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #65682
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Well, that would sure do it! I don't know what to recommend to seal the hole but I'm sure procycle can tell you what they use to glue the ring. Glad you found the problem!
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #65683
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,614
Just hang on, they will be ringing in shortly for your solution I'm positive of that.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #65684
NorCal Jeff
Bold New Graphics!

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Any short guys like myself (68") have the Cee Bailey's Commuter windshield? how do you like it?
I have the Commuter..the question with windscreens is..Do you want the air to go over or under your helmet? I tried both ways..ended up cutting mine down, so the wind hits my helmet clean, but blocked from my chest..

one Bike to rule them all..
'06 DR 650
If it ain't broke...DON'T FIX IT!!!

NorCal Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #65685
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Looks like Bergdonks links to comments about the rings paid off. Glad you found the likely source.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote