Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #65926
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Wink DR "trailbike" Snowy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
It takes some commitment to turn a DR into a "trail bike". It can be done. It takes some commitment to ride it like one.

Those that have never experienced a DR with the sort of suspension that comes standard on a 450 will continue to nay say. They get what they deserve. Nothing.

Those that have know you don't need to buy a KTM to find happiness.

Suzuki wouldn't give me what I wanted, so I made my own out of all genuine Suzuki parts.

I think half the fun of owning the DR is doing things that everyone says they can't do. There's a sense of smug satisfaction in handing some cashed up KTM riding young tattooed and pierced bloke his ass on single track. Take your helmet off and they look at the grey beard, the bald head, and the DR and they feel like shit. You can see the point where their ego pops.

Fantastic.
ABSOLUTELY! I agree with you completely.

Ahem, for the new readers who have not seen what you have done with your bike Snowy, how about a simple post write up of what your "commitment to turn it into a trail bike" involved.

Your bike is not what I would call a trail bike, more like a Super DR.
But I love understatement. You can speak softly 'cause you are carrying a BIG stick!

I also like to let others feel superior and then quietly put them in their place with the action.
I love surprising the young guys.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #65927
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Gogent Bling Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
James, $28 with a wrench for my customers on an intro deal. If these are well recieved, we will make more and they can go on any DR shock for something closer to the high $30 range.
Sounds good to me.
Put my name on one and I will contact you directly for payment.
Thanks!
James
Old 06-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #65928
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Wink Trailer queen dual sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
Thank you so much for this confirmation that I am not a complete basket case!

I kept reading all these glowing reports on the off-road capabilities of the DR, and was thinking to myself "what's wrong with me?" Ha! I have felt exactly the same way!

Had been involved too long with off-road riding, that's what's wrong with me. Nah, its from riding good handling light bikes is all. If you had been riding a British 650 twin desert sled all these years, you would also be one raving about how great the DR is.

Therein lies the problem: all the worthy trails are 200 miles away; do I really want to take a KTM to a 4-hour drone through highways before getting to the good parts of the ride? That's why I got the DR, I thought it would handle the street portions well, and the dirt sections respectably.I feel the same way. I find droning on the highway boring if it is a multilane commuter conduit. So, I bought a cheap Harbor Freight folding trailer with a 4'x8' deck (used) for a couple hundred and I load the bikes on it and cruise comfortably in the car out to the fun areas. Park the car in a convenient and safe place like a mall parking lot, roll off the bikes and off we go riding our street legal dirt bikes where ever we want. Then at the end of the day when I am stiff and sore it is really nice to be in the car with the cruise control, the music, and the comfort.
Making a long ride home on my bike on the highway makes my body really ache and wipes me out physically for a couple days.
Yes, a trailer can be a hassle but it works great for me.
I can ride my bike for hours on the hwy if I am traveling, but if I am going riding to explore dirt roads I take the trailer.

Of course now I'm thinkg of how objectionable can the KTM be on the street?

When I first started riding (late '80s) I would take my (street legal) XR or IT on the road without any concerns, but the trails back then were only an hour away. Nowadays I don't enjoy the long asphalt drone even on the DR, so how is a dirt-specific machine going to feel on the same roads? A very good question that will require you trading bikes with someone that has one to see how you feel about it. Some people ride hardtail Harley's and seem to enjoy it...

I'll give the DR the benefit of the doubt and keep it through the summer (after all, I don't feel like wrenching a new bike during prime riding season); if it doesn't work out, then I'll try something new in the fall. Good plan. You have it so you may as well give it a good try. I believe you said you have Shinko 705's so play with the air pressure and see if it helps. You didn't mention if the suspension is stock or upgraded but there are some easy and inexpensive improvements that can help a lot, without going to the extremes. Just about any work will make the suspension better than it is stock.

Thanks for all the help and honest assessment!
You are most welcome

If you can, beg to ride other big bore ds bikes and see what you think after you have more experience riding the various bikes.
I consider them all far too heavy. And the recent crop of new "adventure" bikes outweigh the DR by 100 or more pounds. I think the adventure is picking it up when you drop it.
James
Old 06-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #65929
Desert Bueller
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New dr - still in crate!!

Greetings Everyone!!

I need your input so as not to mess up my brand new toy. My bike should be delivered within the next few days still in the crate from the factory (long story) and I need some help putting it together as the manual doesn't cover this part that the dealer usually takes care of.

I know there's no oil or petrol in the bike, the tyres are probably not up to correct pressure and the battery might need charging.

Other than the obvious, are there any special precautions or actions I should take?

I got this bike for a RTW trip I'm planning so I don't want to involve dealers at all as I will be living with it alone on the road and would like to take care of it myself.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
D B
Desert Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:12 AM   #65930
Nate NZ
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Just remember: If you have parts left over at the end you haven't made a mistake, you've made the bike more efficient.
Nate NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #65931
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Bueller View Post

Other than the obvious, are there any special precautions or actions I should take?

I got this bike for a RTW trip I'm planning so I don't want to involve dealers at all as I will be living with it alone on the road and would like to take care of it myself.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
D B
There is next to no grease in from new.
The steering head bearings.
The rear brake pedal pivot.
The rear suspension needle roller bearings.

The sprocket carrier has a single seal bearing.
You can put dielectric grease on all of the various wiring loom plugs and connections.
Some of the wires rub on the frame under the rear fender and general area.
The neutral sensor unit screws can be loctited off the bat.

You can file the little tits off the speedo drive,they are BS and can push the fork leg out when tightening the axle.
No problem with them gone.
Don't baby it at run it but don't let it get to hot.
Change the oil before the 600 km mark as in the manual for running in.
Oil is cheap and the DR will run fairly warm when new.
I personally think it takes 2000 kms to loosen up.

There are no doubt plenty of other things...........

The battery chafes in the carrier,you can put a wrap of duct tape around it to stop that....
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #65932
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
So for those of you running 150/70/17 and 120/70/17 on your supermoto, is your rear tire significantly taller than your front tire? If I stand back from my bike and look, it actually almost looks silly how much taller the rear tire is than the front. I have Michelin Pilot Power 3 tires. I don't know if all brands are like this?

I know this is the recommended supermoto tire size by procycle, so maybe its just normal.

I am still trying to track down the squirmy feeling my supermoto has, and wondering if the tall rear tire has something to do with it.

My bike was really stable with the stock tires and wheels, but I have put almost 1000 miles on the supermoto setup so far this year and I just can't talk myself out of the squirmy feeling I am getting, when cornering and even on straightaways above 60MPH. I keep trying to tell myself its just how supermoto's are, but it just feels odd.

One other thing I have been wondering is if my wheels are true. When I got them I had to tighten the spokes a lot, especially the rear wheel. I had to tighten the spokes probably 10 times, and now they are finally staying tight but maybe its not true anymore. Could this cause a squirmy feeling while cornering and at higher speeds?

Some discussion on my problem originally started here, as well as the specs on my bike:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post18833928

Since then I have added a little more air pressure in front and rear tires and backed off on the rear preload.

Right now the top of my forks are flush with the top of the trees. Should I move the forks down a little more so they are flush with the shoulder of the fork caps? Is this an acceptable thing to do? I would only be a few more mm difference so it might now help anyway.

Motodeficient screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 05:35 AM
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #65933
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
how about a simple post write up of what your "commitment to turn it into a trail bike" involved.
Probably needs a whole new thread.

I started writing it up once upon a time, and I got some PMs from some crazies. Blokes having at rant about how dare I tell everyone that suspension off a 250 would fit on a 650 and that people would die a lingering death on the trail somewhere with half a fork hanging out of them because of me...blah blah, yarda yarda...etc etc.

Out in my garage at the moment I have 7 shocks from 5 different bikes, only 2 of them direct matches to anything I own, 10 shock springs in different weights to suit various shocks that I do and don't have, 4 complete sets of forks, 3 sets of forks springs in different spring rates. I've fitted 3 different front ends to DRs, done 4 different rear end set ups. I've sold stuff off along the way but still have a pile of spares and stuff. I've done everything from revalve/respring standard suspension, rebuild modified standard suspension, replace standard suspension, to cut all the standard suspension mounts off the main frame and fabricate new ones to suit rear ends from different bikes. It's been a slow learning process. Combined with a book on building frames for competition use it's been very instructive. There are many things I regret along the way. Cutting off and completely changing the suspension is not one of them.

I did learn there are easy and hard ways to do everything. The easy way is to let someone else do it and copy them.

But I can run side by side with any 450 and in terms of suspension and handling they have very little over me. Weight can work for and against you, depending on the terrain, and depending on riding style. I grew up racing dirt bikes in the 70s. I'm pretty sure my 1st YZ125 was nearly as heavy as the DR...well...close. I was younger then and it was as hard to lift off the ground as the DR is.

I'll need to make a new photobucket account for all the pics and do step by step on each modification. Stay tuned.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #65934
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
So for those of you running 150/70/17 and 120/70/17 on your supermoto, is your rear tire significantly taller than your front tire? If I stand back from my bike and look, it actually almost looks silly how much taller the rear tire is than the front. I have Michelin Pilot Power 3 tires. I don't know if all brands are like this?

I know this is the recommended supermoto tire size by procycle, so maybe its just normal.

I am still trying to track down the squirmy feeling my supermoto has, and wondering if the tall rear tire has something to do with it.

My bike was really stable with the stock tires and wheels, but I have put almost 1000 miles on the supermoto setup so far this year and I just can't talk myself out of the squirmy feeling I am getting, when cornering and even on straightaways above 60MPH. I keep trying to tell myself its just how supermoto's are, but it just feels odd.

One other thing I have been wondering is if my wheels are true. When I got them I had to tighten the spokes a lot, especially the rear wheel. I had to tighten the spokes probably 10 times, and now they are finally staying tight but maybe its not true anymore. Could this cause a squirmy feeling while cornering and at higher speeds?
I see Tech23 is running a 60 series rear tyre.
I have a 150/70 and yes it is taller than the front by some margin.
Have to say,have never had to touch the spoke tension on the Procycle supplied SM wheel set and it is very stable to ride.
I liked it better with the shorter DR forks than the longer RMZ items.
I used to find D606's on the stock wheels wandered a bit on the road when sitting on 130 km/h (78 mph) but was bearable.
Maybe it is a case of trying different tyre pressures
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
Old 06-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #65935
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

A teaser...before I broke it on the last ride...but I've cut the damaged frame rail out and fixed it now.

It was time to strip stuff and apply grease to bearings anyway. I believe it has around 40,000km on it now.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #65936
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

I'm pretty sure my 1st YZ125 was nearly as heavy as the DR...well...close. I was younger then and it was as hard to lift off the ground as the DR is.
If it was the model with the canisters on top of the fork legs,I remember that model,they were fast but my 76 RM125S could turn faster.
Those were the days.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #65937
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
I personally think you need to get someone else to have a ride on the bike to get their opinion on what it is doing.
Somebody familiar with suspension and SM bikes.
It might save a lot of time.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #65938
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I have Warp9 wheels, the spokes just wouldn't stay tight for the first few hundred miles

I have tried everything from 29 to 40PSI for tire pressures... I was actually running 40PSI when I lowsided through an intersection. I lowered it to 29 after that, after being told 40psi was way too high, but the wierd thing is before the lowside I don't remember the bike feeling squirmy at all, but I had only a couple hundred miles on the new setup before the crash. Don't know if it was the higher tire pressure that made it feel ok, or maybe something got damaged during the crash (the bike slid into a curb), but nothing looks looks bent or twisted.

What about the bushing in the steering stem? I have read a lot of posts where people say this can cause the bike to handle strangely... I have taken pretty much everything apart on the bike at one point or another except the trees. This intimidates me because I don't believe I have the proper tools to tackle it, or how to tell if there is even a problem in there.... any thoughts on that? the bike is a 2006 and has 18,000 miles but I have gone through most everything on the bike and it almost looks new everywhere now.

So yeah basically I have three things in my mind that I think might be causing this... too tall of a rear tire, steering stem bushing, or wheel(s) being out of true...
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #65939
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
If it was the model with the canisters on top of the fork legs,I remember that model,they were fast but my 76 RM125S could turn faster.
Those were the days.
Hah! I had a new 76 RM125 as well,first good 6 speed longer travel 125 I ever rode. The 76 YZ125 was no heavier then any other 125 of that era. The monoshock became pogo-like after some hard use and the YZ forks werent too good with the air springs and those goofy caps,they,re worth a few bucks now though.
Then I had a new 74 Elsinore 250,trans exploding like popcorn,didnt rev much at all,broke the frame.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #65940
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If it was the model with the canisters on top of the fork legs,I remember that model,they were fast but my 76 RM125S could turn faster. Those were the days.
I remember my first ride on a Suzuki, my brothers old RM125T. I passed Mark Pace with the single best cut out pass I ever pulled. Perfection. Even Mark was impressed.

Later that race I came up on a jump and for the life of me couldn't remember why we were all using the shit wide line, so I cut tight. Levelling out at about 30 feet off the ground I realised there was no track in the direction I was now heading.

Just trees.

I Raced with the likes of Craig Dack when we were in mini bikes and sub junior. The old "his dad was behind him, my dad thought I should get a real job and stop fucking about on bikes" saga. I loved riding, but had to find a job. Dack was always a natural talent though, and to this day my one bragging right is I used to regularly beat him on my much modified YZ80E when he was on his RM80C. Little bastard grew up though. Did well for himself. I hated Suzukis for years because of him.

Good times. My brother sold my bikes and gear when I left home to join the Army. 25 years on I still haven't forgiven him.