Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #65926
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzajohnson View Post
Well said and I can't agree with you more. Forget the manual and go with common sense.
I always adjust my chains on the loose side and make sure they're ok through the range of motion of the swing arm. I go through rear wheel bearings every 6 months (10,000km) and have had a top roller ripped out of the frame.

No matter how loose your chain is, under load and compression, the top is tight and going to contact the upper roller.

My wheel bearings die because of all the water crossings.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #65927
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
What other options are there for front wheels? I mean any straight bolt ons like maybe a DR350? Do the early DR's (pre 96) fit?

Are there ant street bike wheels that are close? I don't want to get into a bunch of fabrication. Would kind of like a 19" or 17", but a 21" with Trailwings will do for street riding. Just want to stop changing tires so often. Thanks
Did you get the Freewind over there?
Over here, people bolt the DR650 front wheel on in place of its 19"
Old 06-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #65928
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Thumb Ring around the collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
Hi folks! Been busy as I can be of late, thanks a bunch to those of you sending in DR shocks!

One of the reoccurring themes for me is that adjusting the rear spring preload is difficult. The real problem is access. Putting in a hydraulic remote preload device is an option but one that costs more $$ than I am willing to put into my DR. Some of our customers send in shocks that have the stock adjusters pretty chewed up. I went out on a limb and made up a small batch of new one piece adjusters that offer some help. They have radial holes drilled into the side allowing a special pin wrench to fit and turn the adjuster (no locking ring to fight with). There are notches to provide purchase for a bit of 1/2" pvc pipe and a hammer to be employed (for the traditionalists ).

The new ring can allow a "standard" spring size to be used on our modified shock which will add versatility for spring selection. I can't say that this thing is ideal, it is still hard to reach but I am able to adjust mine with the wrench shown. The part is made from billet 6061 aluminum and clear anodised.

What do you think?

Beautiful!

Yes, the preload rings are the pits to adjust on the DR.
I have been removing the airbox and unbolting the top shock mount and angling the shock back so I can access it. Maddening design.

How much will they cost is the question.
Can I afford one or do i just get mad at the bike when I decide to adjust the shock.
I have your rebuild and a new spring and it works great of course.

Looks really trick too, and that is worth a lot to those who can afford to pay for bling
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #65929
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
I have had good luck with the Michilen butyl tubes. I am planning to get another set of Warp 9 wheels (my others are Motard sized) and I cant decide if I should go with 17 0r 18 on the rear. Seems like the good dual sport tires are all 17's but for HD off road, 18 is the answer. Me and my bike need to loose about 20 lbs or so each to be really effective on HD off road anyways
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #65930
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMOTORCYCLE View Post
Now I came to tires and cannot find heavy duty or Ultra heavy duty tubes for the 17" rear....what gives? Yet another reason to swap to an 18" rear I guess. Since using them on my other bikes I have not had 1 flat!

Anyone know where I can find them?

My only other dislike, is this bike is not big enough to trip the traffic signal sensors.

Thanks
Mike
I've been using HD rear tubes for years in the DR.
Kenda, I think.

Are your sensors not magnetic?
Old 06-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #65931
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
James, $28 with a wrench for my customers on an intro deal. If these are well recieved, we will make more and they can go on any DR shock for something closer to the high $30 range.
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #65932
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
What chain lube are you using?...
This stuff has almost no 'fling off', I like it.

+1,000,000

My all time favourite chain lube, in 40yrs of motorcycling !

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #65933
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Just got an x40f0x in perfect condition, returned my tm 40 for repair, about to order the 790 bore, and currently on a ride in 90 deg f. Not a bad day.
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #65934
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
What's wrong w the T63 up front?
Can't get them to bite in gravel. OK in sand and on sealed roads, but not a gravel tyre for me compared to the others mentioned. Th is is for the front only, I don't mind the rears, and as ever, IMHO and YMMV

Steve.

BergDonk screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 03:43 PM
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #65935
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
If you can afford a KTM, don't bother with the DR.

Heresy, I know, but I don't think you will be all that happy with the DR no matter what you do to it with suspension, tires, engine mods and so on. I think you are expecting, or hoping for, something you will not get.

If you start with a KTM, Husky, or Husaberg, you will be happier and it probably won't cost more than you would put into a DR trying to improve it. Now, after a year or so riding and maintaining a KTM, Husky, or 'Berg you may come to appreciate a DR much more for its simple reliability and very low cost of maintenance as well as the many ways it can be modified for personal preference.
Dunno about that

A guy had a play on my DR 650 after getting off his KTM 640 Adv the other week and is now spoilt too, he sent me an email and included the following words"I shouldn't have ridden your bike as now it's my baseline comparison and it's now almost impossible to throw a leg over my 640".

The DR suspension can be improved by replacing it. I have a 650 Berg with which I have also put a lot of effort into, setting it up to suit me, and as much as I love it, its not an adventure, or dual sport, bike.

My DR will never be suited to single track, or really gnarly trails, but for anything less, its great. Its killer is ultimately weight. But then its lighter than lots of ADV bikes too.

Steve
Old 06-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #65936
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMOTORCYCLE View Post
I recently picked up a 2002 DR650 that I have been farkeling (is that even a word?). TM40 carb, DG exhaust, airbox mod, twinair filter, Acerbis handguards, ProTaper bars, bash plate, case armor, pannier rack, DR250 taillight, Yamaha Raptor petcock....

Now I came to tires and cannot find heavy duty or Ultra heavy duty tubes for the 17" rear....what gives? Yet another reason to swap to an 18" rear I guess. Since using them on my other bikes I have not had 1 flat!

Anyone know where I can find them?

My only other dislike, is this bike is not big enough to trip the traffic signal sensors.

Thanks
Mike
IRC HD tubes are available in 17" and they are natural rubber. But 18" will work also. I think my last tubes were front cheap cycle parts...

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #65937
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
For you, me, and others who are coming from a real dirt bike background, the understanding of the comments must be taken in context. The context being that all big bore dual sport bikes are seriously different in all aspects from a pure dirt bike.
Thank you so much for this confirmation that I am not a complete basket case!

I kept reading all these glowing reports on the off-road capabilities of the DR, and was thinking to myself "what's wrong with me?"

Had been involved too long with off-road riding, that's what's wrong with me.

Quote:
If you will be on pavement only a small part of the time there are several highly regarded knobbies that work well on the heavy DR. If you will be on pavement most of the time you may find, as many of us do, that running a knobbie on the front and a more street oriented tire on the rear works real well.
Therein lies the problem: all the worthy trails are 200 miles away; do I really want to take a KTM to a 4-hour drone through highways before getting to the good parts of the ride? That's why I got the DR, I thought it would handle the street portions well, and the dirt sections respectably.

Of course now I'm thinkg of how objectionable can the KTM be on the street?

When I first started riding (late '80s) I would take my (street legal) XR or IT on the road without any concerns, but the trails back then were only an hour away. Nowadays I don't enjoy the long asphalt drone even on the DR, so how is a dirt-specific machine going to feel on the same roads?

Quote:
Heresy, I know, but I don't think you will be all that happy with the DR no matter what you do to it with suspension, tires, engine mods and so on. I think you are expecting, or hoping for, something you will not get.
I was afraid you were going to say that, but at least now I know.

I'll give the DR the benefit of the doubt and keep it through the summer (after all, I don't feel like wrenching a new bike during prime riding season); if it doesn't work out, then I'll try something new in the fall.

Thanks for all the help and honest assessment!
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #65938
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 433
Dr 650?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Dunno about that

A guy had a play on my DR 650 after getting off his KTM 640 Adv the other week and is now spoilt too, he sent me an email and included the following words"I shouldn't have ridden your bike as now it's my baseline comparison and it's now almost impossible to throw a leg over my 640".

The DR suspension can be improved by replacing it. I have a 650 Berg with which I have also put a lot of effort into, setting it up to suit me, and as much as I love it, its not an adventure, or dual sport, bike.

My DR will never be suited to single track, or really gnarly trails, but for anything less, its great. Its killer is ultimately weight. But then its lighter than lots of ADV bikes too.

Steve
I jumped from a 03 KTM 640 to the DR. The KTM is a bad ass bike! But i have no regrets with the DR at all. And freeway speeds are more comfortable then the KTM was. As far as maintenance I didn't see the difference as nothing broke on the KTM and the regular maintenance is about the same.
I keep having a problem with wanting the Tiger XC, Super Tenere for a long haul with wife.. But every time I go test ride those bikes I don't really feel that much difference then while riding my DR 650.
At first when i get to those big bikes I get the Bling effect and want one now as they are so soft on my eyes..
But after riding I am left to 8k more price plus I think i would feel guilty every time I ride The tiger or other bike as my angel on my shoulder would tell me your DR was all you really needed and 100 pounds plus lighter. Ya you cant pass someone aggressively when your going 80 MPH already in your way very well but hey if i am getting 55 miles to gallon and have no payments and i can afford to give my daughter a wedding in the near future and still have a Adventure bike that actually does everything rather well. I really don't have to have these bling bikes. Yes they would be awesome but at this point in my life it would really effect some serious financial decisions in the future.

So i do love my DR just got to keep my eyes off the twin babes around. Keep focused on I really do have a great bike. Rides smooth on the highway, great gas mileage, light, dirt worthy, air cooled, etc....

P.S. I am not ditching on the V twins or tripples at all.
Oh ya i have safari tank heavy springs and an assortment of other farkles. The safari Tank helped the front end be more planted while cruising at 80 from SLC to ST.Goerge a 485 mile stretch where the speed-limit becomes 75 miles an hour and everyone goes 85. Which gets crazy as everyone is in a hurry to go to Vagas to gamble but so far this bike rides great. I would not ever take the KTM to see my parents in St. Goerge I wouldn't of made it with my herniated disc.. On my DR I am Glad I got that beast of a tank. Before my front end was wobbly at high speeds. With these farkles the bike is very close to my KTM 640 in dirt and waaaay better on highway...

oh one last P.P.P.S--- I get annoyed while riding with my 990 Adventure friends laughing at me for not getting there type of bike, but i dont get annoyed by them laughing at that but at every stop in the backwoods they are sooo stressed out about their fuel and how to strategize the next 10 miles to find a fuel stop...That gets very old. I enjoy my ride and not once worry about fuel. Not once. he he he. Ya I cant spell stratagize.. Had 5 beers so far so i better stop rambling on. Just love my DR. does the Job. No flashes just gets you there very well. Thank you Suzuki....
boulder.

bouldertag screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 05:29 PM Reason: Grammer errors all over the place 5 beers going on 6
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #65939
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,368
Nothing mechanical to contribute, but I'm proud to report that when I first began reading this monstrosity of a thread, it had only 50,000 or so posts.

Rick (feeling my age today) in Alabama
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #65940
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
Nothing mechanical to contribute, but I'm proud to report that when I first began reading this monstrosity of a thread, it had only 50,000 or so posts.

Rick (feeling my age today) in Alabama

I hear ya'. When I started reading it I didn't have gray hair.

Roll Tide from LA.......

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote