Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #65926
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,189
What other options are there for front wheels? I mean any straight bolt ons like maybe a DR350? Do the early DR's (pre 96) fit?

Are there ant street bike wheels that are close? I don't want to get into a bunch of fabrication. Would kind of like a 19" or 17", but a 21" with Trailwings will do for street riding. Just want to stop changing tires so often. Thanks
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #65927
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
What other options are there for front wheels? I mean any straight bolt ons like maybe a DR350? Do the early DR's (pre 96) fit?

Are there ant street bike wheels that are close? I don't want to get into a bunch of fabrication. Would kind of like a 19" or 17", but a 21" with Trailwings will do for street riding. Just want to stop changing tires so often. Thanks
I may have missed it, but everyone who I have seen try to do a streetbike wheel conversion on the DR650 has had to do quite a bit of fabrication.

If someone came out with a hardware conversion kit for a couple different types of readily available streetbike tires, they could probably make a good chunk of change. I guess the liability of such a conversion would be pretty high though for the seller.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #65928
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Thanks again for the info. Can you conifrm that this switch only has the single rail on the side? I am looking at this switch mount. I've seen some switches with two of them...just want to make sure I order up the correct one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_runner View Post

Ignition Key Switch

I used this one on Procycles site. Worked with the HDB set up.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #65929
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
Thanks again for the info. Can you conifrm that this switch only has the single rail on the side? I am looking at this switch mount. I've seen some switches with two of them...just want to make sure I order up the correct one.

Yep. Drops right in. One guide tab/rail that holds it in place and keeps it from spinning, and a couple HD tabs that snap it into the bracket. Works great. Also, the keys look like the ones in your photo, not the monstrosities in the one I posted.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #65930
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:

Are there any street bike wheels that are close? I don't want to get into a bunch of fabrication. Would kind of like a 19" or 17", but a 21" with Trailwings will do for street riding. Just want to stop changing tires so often. Thanks
i have a dr650 hub, and spokes/21" rim from an rm suzuki that will lace right up, if you want a 2nd wheel. these are in good shape; simple leftover parts from when i went w/an rm front end swap on my dr650. i had to use the rm's hub to lace up the wheel/spokes that were on my dr, so lacing up the rm's wheel to the dr hub will not be an issue.

the rm's rim is ~6mm narrower than the dr's; but they both take the same size rubber. i'd use the rm rim for off-road and the dr rim for street riding. feel free to pm me if interested...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #65931
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks again! Is this a four-wire switch? I believe the stock switch is six-wire, correct? I'd be interested to know how you wired it. Also, will I need to add the resistor? I am unsure of it's function in this circuit, but have read it is needed when you eliminate the switch for a button.

I'm glad you've done this before...you're an excellent resource at the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_runner View Post
Yep. Drops right in. One guide tab/rail that holds it in place and keeps it from spinning, and a couple HD tabs that snap it into the bracket. Works great. Also, the keys look like the ones in your photo, not the monstrosities in the one I posted.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #65932
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Thanks again! Is this a four-wire switch? I believe the stock switch is six-wire, correct? I'd be interested to know how you wired it. Also, will I need to add the resistor? I am unsure of it's function in this circuit, but have read it is needed when you eliminate the switch for a button.

I'm glad you've done this before...you're an excellent resource at the moment!
You only use 2 of the 4 wires. Here is a tutorial type post that thumpididump did on his own webpage.

http://motorcycle-junkie.blogspot.com/2011/02/one-item-to-be-sorted-with-rmz-fork.html

Hopefully this helps clear it up for you. If not or you have other questions, I'd be happy to assist.

Much thanks to Thumpididump for his work on his website. I know I've used it a few times for more than just good reading.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #65933
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Here's how two others removed their switches.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=25

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #65934
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Here's how two others removed their switches.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=25
Just so we're clear, I am not dumping the key switch for a button, I am just replacing it. Most likely with the option from Procycle.

http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm#a059168

I believe the stock switch is a six-wire switch and the replacement is four. I am confident I can figure out what to do with what, but just curious how others have wired theirs.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #65935
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhart8 View Post
Has anyone upgraded to the 790 engine modification?? It looks really intriguing on the procycle website.
Yeah. Did it over the winter while I was in there replacing bearings. Bought the oversize valves and installed as well. Bike goes like hell. Lots of nice even smooth power. Gas mileage about the same as before. I really like the peace of mind that my cylinder now has a steel sleeve in it. I don't care how you clad aluminum. It's still a lousy material for cylinders.

It wasn't at all difficult.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #65936
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post
Yeah. Did it over the winter while I was in there replacing bearings. Bought the oversize valves and installed as well. Bike goes like hell. Lots of nice even smooth power. Gas mileage about the same as before. I really like the peace of mind that my cylinder now has a steel sleeve in it. I don't care how you clad aluminum. It's still a lousy material for cylinders.

How is the engine vibration at speed?
is there a noticable vibration difference?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #65937
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post

one of the reasons i do not like this kit is because the cylinders are NOT aluminum. i would much prefer nicasil coated aluminum cylinders than steel-sleeved cylinders. better wear, better heat transfer, more even expansion w/pistons, so you can have tighter tolerances. unfortunately, due to size issues, a completely new cylinder would have to be manufactured, and i guess there is not enough of a market for a big-enough production run. some day, i will have over-sized pistons/cylinders installed in my buell, and you can be sure i will be going w/aluminum cylinders. they are simply better in almost all applications...

ymmv,

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #65938
Go Irish75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Cool2 New dash and rack

Just installed an HDB (http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/) top clamp. I got the SXdx version, so it included holes for 2 switches and owner Paul added a 12v Powerlet hole. I currently only have need for one switch (auxiliary driving light), but it's nice to have the space for another. It came with all the mounting hardware and the guys at HDB are great. I received it on Thursday, but it turned out to be the wrong clamp was sent by mistake. I contacted Paul at HDB and told him about it, and that I was in need due to going on a trip this weekend and the bike was torn down and wiring was waiting for the products. He was awesome. He overnighted me the correct clamp and offered to reimburse me for shipping his other one back. I got the correct part early this morning, and to my surprise Paul included a free HDB t shirt! Free swag is always good. I added a Marlin Manfacturing motorcycle clock (http://www.marlins-motorcycles.com/) (water and vibe resistant), and completed the wiring on the switches and Powerlet. All buttoned up and here's the final product:

Free swag

Oh, and added a Pat Walsh rear rack. But didn't think of taking a photo until after I put my tail bag back on:
Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #65939
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
I have had great results on the front with a Bridgestone ED-03

I also put a rimlock in the rear wheel and run Kenda TrakMaster II's at 15-16 psi.
Thanks, the ED-03 looks promising!

Can't use rimlocks on mine since I've converted my wheels to tubeless. But then again I can run low pressures without fear of pinch flats or the tyre rotating on the wheel.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #65940
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 598
Idea...

Hi folks! Been busy as I can be of late, thanks a bunch to those of you sending in DR shocks!

One of the reoccurring themes for me is that adjusting the rear spring preload is difficult. The real problem is access. Putting in a hydraulic remote preload device is an option but one that costs more $$ than I am willing to put into my DR. Some of our customers send in shocks that have the stock adjusters pretty chewed up. I went out on a limb and made up a small batch of new one piece adjusters that offer some help. They have radial holes drilled into the side allowing a special pin wrench to fit and turn the adjuster (no locking ring to fight with). There are notches to provide purchase for a bit of 1/2" pvc pipe and a hammer to be employed (for the traditionalists ).

The new ring can allow a "standard" spring size to be used on our modified shock which will add versatility for spring selection. I can't say that this thing is ideal, it is still hard to reach but I am able to adjust mine with the wrench shown. The part is made from billet 6061 aluminum and clear anodised.

What do you think?

NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote