User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #65971
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
http://www.cannonballproject.com/content/history/

Cannon Ball Baker did San Diego to NYC in 11 1/2 days on a 7 HP Indian in 1914. I (mostly) stopped overthinking things after reading his story. I'll be doing most of the centenial ride in 2014 on my DR.

...and yeah, I look around at stuff all the time.....& then I go ride the DR with a big smile on my face.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #65972
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
There was an inmate a few weeks ago having a problem with a generic o-ring, kept leaking or swelling or ??, so, yes order a Zuki one as a back-up.
Viton®

http://www.marcorubber.com/materialguide.htm
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #65973
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
The reason I like my DR 650

I see people like it for its simplicity , moan at it for being archaic. I always hear stuff about how heavy it is , and how things can be improved on it. But you must admit as a simple reliable bike that has the best option for true on off road without having to sell your soul to the bank. This is it. while air cooled and having to pay for that in weight. It never breaks a waterpump.. While it does not have a massive tank or range of 200 miles the stock tank is decent sized and doesnt get in the way when it the dirt. It doesnt have the most horse power in its size range but its all usable on the street and dirt.jeez theres isn't one reason i like my DR theres lots of them. When others start to get shaky I have yet to truly dislike my DR like i have other bikes in the past. Ive take it on the street on speed that would have the bike impounded, I have trail ridden all day , have taken it on a trial course (yes a TRIALS) when the scorers saw me coming they cringed but I chugged my way up the inclines and hops . (i did smack the frame tubes though) I just like it , my range of bike has been wide and varied so that is my 2 cents on the issue about the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #65974
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Thumb Psshhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCLI-Jim View Post
I always hear stuff about how heavy it is... This is it. while air cooled and having to pay for that in weight. It never breaks a waterpump..
Or thermostat, or radiator, or hose, or fans, or develops a gasket leak of antifreeze...

For a non full-on dirtbike it's really not so heavy. What's it got? 10 pounds on the TE630? 20? With the same fuel volume, the weight difference is negligible. Just think, all that liquid cooling tech and a bored-out, simple, air/oil-cooled, old bike is right there with its HP/Weight ratio... hahahaha

The Orange one is supposedly quite a bit more powerful, and significantly lighter, but a certain RR turned me off to it. Plus, you can almost buy 2 DRs for the price of 1 690... Not to mention it fails most of my criteria. Not to mention I'm a hater. Haha
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #65975
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Just did mine, some impressions...

You should have a friend there to help pull the inner and outer tube apart.
No help is really needed, the tubes are held together with a light press fit. A gentle series of 'see tool below' will separate the tubes after this clip is removed from above the fork seal (and the allen bolt in the bottom of the fork tube). The seal will come out at the same time. (I hope I got this right, I'm having a bit of brain fade ) I made a mistake about a year ago (this same issue) and another inmate had to straighten me out. Anyone feel free to refresh my memory, I don't want to mislead someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
If need be, replace your bushings too, this way you don't have to go in there again.
Good idea.

You don't need one of these, you just need to think like one.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #65976
Kommando
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikimoto View Post
So I shimmed my carb needle up with a small nylon washer, and I drilled another same size hole in the slide. Snorkel removed, stock otherwise (non-cut airbow and stock exhuast) and I think the mixture screw is out 2 or 2.50 turns.

Bike seems to run a little smoother, it doesnt have that low rpm surging anymore, I will see how it performs in the next few days.

Anything else I can do stock or are the next steps a jet kit, exhaust, and cut airbox?
Maybe a UNI or TwinAir filter, and grind the header weld.

An extended idle-mix screw would make adjustments MUCH easier.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #65977
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
...I don't see how they surpass the DR overall according to my list.
The advantage the DR650 has is it has no competition in its class.
There is no other simple big air (oil) cooled trail bike ?

There have been many times in the past where the only sound was the DR thumping away,look left and nothing to the horizon,same to the right,a ribbon of road ahead as far as you can see,same behind.
Very versatile motorcycle,great at long distance too.
Less can be more,it proves it.
Of course more never hurt.

Still gathering dust,one day.

49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
Old 06-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #65978
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Question How can you resist!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post

You have that JUST LAYING AROUND, and haven't installed it!??!!?!?
Old 06-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #65979
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Quote:
You have that JUST LAYING AROUND, and haven't installed it!??!!?!?
That photo is from when it arrived,remember when Procycle started taking orders for the 780 kit,that long.
When I finally got close to installing it the rumours of a billet third gear set started.
My transmission has been in the UK for some time now so when it gets back I can finish the DR engine.
In the mean time I am building two other bikes which as happens turned into major works in the case of the TR5T.
You know how it goes.
Until work got in the way,the DR was smashing out 17000 kms a year,it hasn't turned a wheel in anger since Jan 2011.
To put that in perspective,two rides alone put 12300 kms on the clock.
Anyone who doubts the DR's abilities is in lala land.
I might even sell the Hypermotard once it is back on the road.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #65980
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,821
Yeah, it sucks when life gets in the way of living.

Every time I decide to do some major modifications I always end up with no funds for one reason or another.

That has led to a lot of improvisation. Things rarely get built the way I want them built. You have to roll with what you got.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #65981
Kommando
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by thencamebronson View Post
This may have been covered but I haven't found anything. I am picking up my DR in Durango CO and heading to ride the OBDR in July. The bike currently has TKC's on it and I would Imagine the long pavement trip there will burn up the current tires. Should I: Have new tires mounted prior to leaving, something that would do asphalt and off road (or does the OBDR require a more aggressive tread?) or carry a set of tires and mount them when I need them.

For those of you who have ridden the OBDR, what tires do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
If you're going to ride 90-something% offroad for over 700 miles, I'd recommend being adept at changing flats...to the point that mounting new offroad-biased DOT tires right near the start of the trail would seem no trouble at all. Pack light, burn up the current tires on pavement, and a set of new knobbies should strap on your bike easily. I'd do that, or ship some new DOT knobbies out somewhere near to the trailhead.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:48 AM   #65982
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,143
Quote:
Or thermostat, or radiator, or hose, or fans, or develops a gasket leak of antifreeze...
Mine has hoses running to a radiator full of oil, doesn't yours?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #65983
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sherpa View Post
Well it appears that I am in need of replacing my fork seals.

I'm wondering about how extensive the procedure is to replace the fork seals. Further, if OEM seals are better or no different than aftermarket.

Thank you all for your input.
You might try cleaning it first with something like this - you can make your own easy enough. Might be all it needs.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #65984
bkoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Flat tyre (100km old Shinko 244), rode 50km home...
WD40, centre stand, standing on footpeg, pushing up on beam in shed...
45mins of pissing about later, the bead was broken

New tube, 5,000 more km from the tyre...
Wow.

I just changed a Shinko. Did the figure eights and had no issues with spooning the tire off.

Do you use WD40 to lube the tire when you install it?
bkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #65985
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Bluhduh Nordieboy wins again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Mine has hoses running to a radiator full of oil, doesn't yours?

crap.

Feelers: 0

Nordieboy: 23

(I heard the oil cooler is not mission critical, and the DR can probably run fine without it if it is damaged.)