Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #66061
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
And humour me, I'm sitting here trying to do some community work, filling out forms and completing meeting agendas and other stuff, and looking for distractions, ah well, back to work
Old 06-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #66062
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
And then the warmed water rises to the surface and releases its excess heat to the atmosphere.....
That is like saying the sun heats the air inside your car therefore it has a solar powered heater.

And you mean to say that they are cold to touch in the engine bay? No heat given off from the exhaust, block, head, etc?
Yes, it gives heat off...but you cut the water off and it will burn the engine up...not enough heat is dissapated to matter...it is a side effect. The exhaust manifolds are even cooled by the water. You can put your hand on most anything in a marine engine without getting burned. Closed engine compartments, fiberglass, resin, and high temps don't go well together...usually stuff burns...
And there is air inside the engine which moves heat around internally, along with oil.
Once again, not enough to PROPERLY cool the motor and not its intended design.

I guess a rocket in space works differently, dunno about that.
Rockets don't need cooled- no one gives a shit how hot they are.

You need to work harder. You are thinking WAY to hard about this stuff!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #66063
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
And then the warmed water rises to the surface and releases its excess heat to the atmosphere.....
That is like saying the sun heats the air inside your car therefore it has a solar powered heater.
Doesn't it?

And fossil fuels are the result of photosynthesis which is a process driven by the sun as I recall...

And all this heat being put into the air is of course contributing to global warming......

Back to work
Old 06-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #66064
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,617
Quote:
As far as I know, all engines are air cooled. What varies, is the mediums, and proportions of same that is used to transfer the waste heat to the air.

Not sure if you mean all motorcycle engines or all engines. Right off the top of my head, some boat engines are water cooled with heat transfer systems and cooled by the water they are operated in and most snowmobiles are snow (water) cooled by snow being thrown onto the heat exchangers by the track.

Quote:
not if the atmosphere is warmer than the water. heat only flows from the hot side to the cold side. At least that's what is says in the textbooks.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 06:01 PM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #66065
Taikimoto
wheresthatgo?

Oddometer: 45
Need some quick tire suggestions to look at.

I will mainly use it as a commuter with maybe 1 day a week doing fire road excursions.

So Im thinking some type of 80/20 or maybe even a 90/10? Stock wheels. I have Kenda K270 50/50's on another bike and like them, but want something a bit more road worthy on the DR.

I local shop guy suggested the tires that come on the new KLR 650's as they are the same size, and even mentioned the stock trailwings might be ok for what I want (I have full DOT knobbies on now and they arent very good on the pavement).
Taikimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #66066
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikimoto View Post

I will mainly use it as a commuter with maybe 1 day a week doing fire road excursions.

So Im thinking some type of 80/20 or maybe even a 90/10? Stock wheels. I have Kenda K270 50/50's on another bike and like them, but want something a bit more road worthy on the DR.

I local shop guy suggested the tires that come on the new KLR 650's as they are the same size, and even mentioned the stock trailwings might be ok for what I want (I have full DOT knobbies on now and they arent very good on the pavement).

I'm running Michelin Anakee 2's on my DR and have also had good success w/ Pirelli Scorpions. Great tires for what you are describing.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #66067
TBKahuna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
While we're discussing the vagaries of cooling systems could someone please explain what happened to the dinosaurs ......yea, I've been drinking heavily,,,again
TBKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #66068
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
The motor on the 400 works a bit harder to go 60 compared to my DR.
Hmm, weird, the EXC has as wide a ratio transmission as the DR, so theoretically speaking it should be as unstressed as the DR during highway cruising. Maybe it just feels/sounds stressed but is not in real life? I once rode a YZ250F and every time I thought I had redlined, I discovered there was another 2k to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Yes, the 400. I have put an Enduro Engineering "tall soft" seat on it to make it more friendly.
All I'm doing to the DR for this 500+ mile (each way) ride is putting on the seat and different tires. I would never consider this ride on the KTM.
So a combination of higher RPMs, more vibration, less comfort, create a package that is not very inviting to ride extensively on the slab?

Funny thing is that I prefer the stock saddle on my KTM200 to the one on the DR; I find the stock one on the DR to be too wide, although I still have no problem spending 8+ hours on it.

I understand what you're saying about matching the spectrum of individual use for a bike to the spectrum of technical prowess of said bike. My intended use of 90/10 seemed to match the relative capabilities of the DR, but the assumption was that this 10% dirt would be at least acceptable in performance. Right now it is not, so I'm willing to sacrifice some asphalt capabilities for happier times in the dirt.

Thanks for the insight!
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #66069
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
RE: RM250 forks

It continues to astonish me how completely awesome you all are for such in depth responses! Thank you thank you thank you. I love this thread and all you DR enthusiasts out there. You guys are the scheiza. My gratitude is massive.

That said- Snowy Im a bit perplexed- my 98 showas are USD- I had thought they were only USD for that year RM.

At any rate, I think a call to Racetech is in order. Regardless, while I was still living in Colorado I riipped through some big rock scrabble and used a substantial amount of travel and was satisfied at how well they performed, even if i could do for some beefier springs/oil.

For my headlights I ended up going to a local welders supply and getting some 3/4 inch steel tubing and affixed it to each end of my Cycra guards which were attached to my handlebars. This not only gave me a solid platform to mount the headlights, but it also allows me more space to mount a gps and hopefully soon, a small wind fairing.

For the ignition switch, im finally dumping my 20 pound OEM ignition switch for the procycle tiny lightweight one. Hopefully that will arrive with my repaired TM40 and the X40F0X I found on fleabay. I wonder How much I could get for my year-old Q4 can at redsale..This Friday's paycheck will bring me the 790, and I am so stoked to have all this done I am jumping up and down.

Ill consider the front brake options, and I still need a DR350 rear wheel...can't find a decent one anywhere....Maybe Ill just buy the spokes and rim separately and mount my 650 hub. etc. Might be the only option.....at least that way I can get a black anodized rim..

AH- the welders supply company has a scale they agreed to let me use to weigh my pig. Im curious what her numbers are.

Also I am still getting rid of my BST40 with jetting kit, OEM tank, Front wheel with new bearings, Saddle pan, luggage rack and rear shock if anyone is looking.

Cheers and thanks again-- Really- you all are fantastic
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #66070
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
There's plenty of Chinese made stuff in my life... I'm just not buying the rejects direct from eBay.
cool, buy the rejects from a company that relabels the stuff, then. it's your choice, certainly. me, personally, i have had good results skipping unnecessary middlemen...

ymmv,

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #66071
tomordr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
isn't there one misfit who can answer my TM40 question from back on page 4419 or 4219 or whatever?
tomordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #66072
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomordr View Post
isn't there one misfit who can answer my TM40 question from back on page 4419 or 4219 or whatever?

Procyle answered your question I thought.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #66073
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomordr View Post
Procycle answered one of your questions. Post #66274.

Secondly, you are running too rich. I don't know the TM-40 specs, but you are going to need to downsize the main jet, or lower the needle. The AP might need an adjustment also.

I'm not a misfit.

around here anyway!
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #66074
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.dica View Post
... Im a bit perplexed- my 98 showas are USD- I had thought they were only USD for that year RM.

At any rate, I think a call to Racetech is in order. Regardless, while I was still living in Colorado I riipped through some big rock scrabble and used a substantial amount of travel and was satisfied at how well they performed, even if i could do for some beefier springs/oil....
a-HA! that may be the issue. and mebbe it will work out in your favor - i thought all the '98 rm250's were NOT usd. so, checking the parts fiche, there were 5 separate rm250 models, 3 had non-usd forks, two had usd; check the t/v/w/x/y front dampers:

http://www.suzukipartsnation.com/pag...FYpM4Aod5h241A

i bet the race tech specs shown on their site are for the non-usd forks; maybe there are more options for the usd models. but, i'd certainly confirm w/any seller exactly what it is that's on your bike before ordering...

doug s,
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #66075
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikimoto View Post

Shinko 705's.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote