Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #66061
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
I just took this guy for a ride around the block on the back of my DR650. I weigh 135lbs and he weighed 250, so the combined weight was 385lbs. Is it possible that that kind of weight could have caused some damage to the bike? We went for about half a mile, I was super easy on the throttle, and we only got up to to 30mph.

Other questions:
-Before I go for a ride I let the bike idle for 5 - 7 minutes. Is that too much?
-What are some things that can cause damage to the engine? I change the oil every 2000 miles, keep the air filter clean, oil the chain often, and the tires are set to the right pressures. The guy I bought it from said there's not much you can do do ruin a dr650, but I'm just paranoid about keeping my bike in top condition. (this is my first bike, I love it, and I'd like to keep it for as long as possible)
Ride with stock suspension and that much weight and you'll keep bottoming the rear shock. Keep doing this, and the bump rubber can be destroyed and before that it can also cause the seal head to be impacted into the shock body and 'bell' the body, effectively destroying the shock. Gently for 5 mins around the corner, no worries.

A large and disproportionate amount of engine wear occurs when it is operating cold. Engines warm up quicker when they are doing some work, so in my view extended idling of a cold engine is bad. Start and ride as soon as it'll take throttle, but gently until warm, which for the DR could be up to 10-15 kms. I learnt all about this many years ago with my early Mazda rotaries where this was crucial to maxing engine life. I got up to 200,000 kms from a 10A by not idling it cold, but driving and keeping the revs down for 15-20 kms, then flogging it mercilessly. Many struggled to get a tenth of that life.

Fix the NSU screws and it'll all be good.

Steve
Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #66062
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Engine Cooling

I note a few posts a few days ago referring to various cooling systems. As far as I know, all engines are air cooled. What varies, is the mediums, and proportions of same that is used to transfer the waste heat to the air. All engines move heat around internally with oil and air, some with water/coolant. All engines lose heat externally through their engine blocks to air. Some engines transfer heat to a liquid and then to air via a radiator. They can also use the liquid to move heat around the block. Sometimes the liquid is oil, and sometimes its also a water based one, and sometimes both.

All engines are air cooled, they just sometimes get the heat into the air via different mechanisms

Steve
Old 06-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #66063
twigsnapper
How did I get here?

Oddometer: 518
Found some cracking on my fmf q4 pipe where that tab mounts to the frame. Is that common or am i unlucky?

-: -: -: \|/
-: -: cU
2008 dr650se
twigsnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #66064
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 589
Glad someone finally brought that to everyones attention.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I note a few posts a few days ago referring to various cooling systems. As far as I know, all engines are air cooled. What varies, is the mediums, and proportions of same that is used to transfer the waste heat to the air. All engines move heat around internally with oil and air, some with water/coolant. All engines lose heat externally through their engine blocks to air. Some engines transfer heat to a liquid and then to air via a radiator. They can also use the liquid to move heat around the block. Sometimes the liquid is oil, and sometimes its also a water based one, and sometimes both.

All engines are air cooled, they just sometimes get the heat into the air via different mechanisms

Steve
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #66065
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
Glad someone finally brought that to everyones attention.

TravelGuy

Of course engines are air-cooled. Except maybe marine engines or outer space rocket engines...

But, it's easier to distinguish what we are talking about by saying air vs oil-cooled rather than (air cooled via liquid coolant which transfers heat from the engine to the air via a radiator VS an air cooled engine that transfers heat directly to the air via heat sink fins directly on the engine....
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #66066
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
I note a few posts a few days ago referring to various cooling systems....

Steve
You know by saying water 'based it will start again.

ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #66067
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Of course engines are air-cooled. Except maybe marine engines or outer space rocket engines...

But, it's easier to distinguish what we are talking about by saying air vs oil-cooled rather than (air cooled via liquid coolant which transfers heat from the engine to the air via a radiator VS an air cooled engine that transfers heat directly to the air via heat sink fins directly on the engine....
Feelers is correct- NOT all engines are what you would call air cooled. Marine engines pull water from the lake/ocean and run that water through a heat exchanger or directly through the eninge. No air involved.

Also, some drag race engines have no cooling at all. They don't run long enough to need cooled.

Try again....
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #66068
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Feelers is correct- NOT all engines are what you would call air cooled. Marine engines pull water from the lake/ocean and run that water through a heat exchanger or directly through the eninge. No air involved.

Try again....
And then the warmed water rises to the surface and releases its excess heat to the atmosphere.....

And you mean to say that they are cold to touch in the engine bay? No heat given off from the exhaust, block, head, etc?

And there is air inside the engine which moves heat around internally, along with oil.

I guess a rocket in space works differently, dunno about that.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #66069
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

And humour me, I'm sitting here trying to do some community work, filling out forms and completing meeting agendas and other stuff, and looking for distractions, ah well, back to work
Old 06-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #66070
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
And then the warmed water rises to the surface and releases its excess heat to the atmosphere.....
That is like saying the sun heats the air inside your car therefore it has a solar powered heater.

And you mean to say that they are cold to touch in the engine bay? No heat given off from the exhaust, block, head, etc?
Yes, it gives heat off...but you cut the water off and it will burn the engine up...not enough heat is dissapated to matter...it is a side effect. The exhaust manifolds are even cooled by the water. You can put your hand on most anything in a marine engine without getting burned. Closed engine compartments, fiberglass, resin, and high temps don't go well together...usually stuff burns...
And there is air inside the engine which moves heat around internally, along with oil.
Once again, not enough to PROPERLY cool the motor and not its intended design.

I guess a rocket in space works differently, dunno about that.
Rockets don't need cooled- no one gives a shit how hot they are.

You need to work harder. You are thinking WAY to hard about this stuff!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #66071
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
That is like saying the sun heats the air inside your car therefore it has a solar powered heater.
Doesn't it?

And fossil fuels are the result of photosynthesis which is a process driven by the sun as I recall...

And all this heat being put into the air is of course contributing to global warming......

Back to work
Old 06-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #66072
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,492
Quote:
As far as I know, all engines are air cooled. What varies, is the mediums, and proportions of same that is used to transfer the waste heat to the air.

Not sure if you mean all motorcycle engines or all engines. Right off the top of my head, some boat engines are water cooled with heat transfer systems and cooled by the water they are operated in and most snowmobiles are snow (water) cooled by snow being thrown onto the heat exchangers by the track.

Quote:
not if the atmosphere is warmer than the water. heat only flows from the hot side to the cold side. At least that's what is says in the textbooks.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 06:01 PM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #66073
Taikimoto
wheresthatgo?

Oddometer: 43
Need some quick tire suggestions to look at.

I will mainly use it as a commuter with maybe 1 day a week doing fire road excursions.

So Im thinking some type of 80/20 or maybe even a 90/10? Stock wheels. I have Kenda K270 50/50's on another bike and like them, but want something a bit more road worthy on the DR.

I local shop guy suggested the tires that come on the new KLR 650's as they are the same size, and even mentioned the stock trailwings might be ok for what I want (I have full DOT knobbies on now and they arent very good on the pavement).
Taikimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #66074
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikimoto View Post
Need some quick tire suggestions to look at.

I will mainly use it as a commuter with maybe 1 day a week doing fire road excursions.

So Im thinking some type of 80/20 or maybe even a 90/10? Stock wheels. I have Kenda K270 50/50's on another bike and like them, but want something a bit more road worthy on the DR.

I local shop guy suggested the tires that come on the new KLR 650's as they are the same size, and even mentioned the stock trailwings might be ok for what I want (I have full DOT knobbies on now and they arent very good on the pavement).

I'm running Michelin Anakee 2's on my DR and have also had good success w/ Pirelli Scorpions. Great tires for what you are describing.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #66075
TBKahuna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
While we're discussing the vagaries of cooling systems could someone please explain what happened to the dinosaurs ......yea, I've been drinking heavily,,,again
TBKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote