Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #66226
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
I've used the same set of dual point irridiums for nearly 35,000kms.

One got broken in my last misadventure, otherwise they'd be staying there for another 35,000km.

Normal heat range.

If it's sat for a while it'll take a bit to fire up most likely. So cranking without the plugs may not do much.

If mine has sat for more than a few weeks I drain the carby bowl. Then refill after shaking the tank. I use an upper cylinder lube/fuel conditioner in the fuel to stop it going off as it sits,and because it stops the fuel gumming in the carby.

Worst case, I'd throw some standard plugs in and just crank it until it goes.

Best case, I'd use irridiums, drain the float bowl, add fuel cleaner to the tank, shake, turn the fuel on and prime it, then just crank until it starts.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #66227
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
BITCH of a JOB

Some weeks back i found a NSU bolt on the end of my mag sump plug !!!!! very lucky but only had time for a quick fix !!! well today i took her apart to do the job properly
Replaced the bolts with allen one and locktited them , WHAT A BITCH THE TOP ONE IS TO DO
Took me over half an hour with a chopped down butchered allen key to tighten the top one !!! anyway it's done thank fuck

Rant over ............................Phil
Old 06-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #66228
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,369
You know, auto parts places sell gasket meterial of varoius types thicknesses in rolls.
Trace, cut, punch holes using a paper hole punch sold at staples/office max/etc.
I used to make all my own gaskets for old Triumphs as they were better/thicker then what you buy.
I slide a new razor under gaskets to get them off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_sc View Post
Thanks for the reply! Leather,an isn't quite cutting it right now. Using a razor, works, but gouges easily. At this point I haven't unbolted anything except the oil lines around the cct. Think I'm taking off the header so I can actually get to the thing. We'll see how that goes.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #66229
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,381
Nsu ??

hey PHIL ...

Just as a data point .... what year and how many miles are on your DR ??

Thanks ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Some weeks back i found a NSU bolt on the end of my mag sump plug !!!!! very lucky but only had time for a quick fix !!! well today i took her apart to do the job properly
Replaced the bolts with allen one and locktited them , WHAT A BITCH THE TOP ONE IS TO DO
Took me over half an hour with a chopped down butchered allen key to tighten the top one !!! anyway it's done thank fuck

Rant over ............................Phil
Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #66230
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Nobody had any thoughts or advice on this?
1 - It's time for new plugs. Do I go with the "standard" plug - CR10E or replace the CR9E plugs that are currently in the motor (I don't know why one of the previous owners went with the "hotter" plug)?

2 - Since the motor hasn't run in ~9 months, should I shoot a little WD40 into the cylinder, thru the spark plug holes, so as to provide the rings with some lubrication?

3 - Should I "spin up" some oil pressure, with the plugs out, to get oil circulating thru the motor before attempting to fire it up (I used to do this with my auto race engines after a rebuild - the DR's motor was
not rebuilt/dis-assembled. It's just been sitting)?

Numbers 2 & 3 are good ideas. You should use a couple drops of gearbox oil instead of wd 40 IMO.
as to item 1, one number in heat range on a plug can reall hurt anything. leave it if you want, go back if you have the chance or ar gonna replace the plugs any way.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #66231
bundy bruiser
Super Trucker

Oddometer: 6
footpegs?

Hello,
I have been lurking for years finally thought I would post
I have a '10 DR and I am looking at getting some bigger foot pegs.
I am looking at the IMS superstock ones, are these any bigger than the standard pegs?
What other options is there, I looked on ebay without much luck.
Cheers
bundy bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #66232
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,717
I just got a reply from KushSprockets. They say another batch will be ready in, wait for it .................................................. ...............................
2 weeks.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #66233
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
You know, auto parts places sell gasket meterial of varoius types thicknesses in rolls.
Trace, cut, punch holes using a paper hole punch sold at staples/office max/etc.
I used to make all my own gaskets for old Triumphs as they were better/thicker then what you buy.
I slide a new razor under gaskets to get them off...
Razor blade doesn't work well with the DR gaskets in my experience with them. If they have the factory gasket and glue on them they don't want to move easily. You literally have to file the stuff off.

Silastic fits in the bumpack. Easy to use, no rolls of gasket paper, no tools for punching holes.

The top of the line quality stuff works really well when you prep everything and follow the instructions.

I use the hi temp stuff because it can be used on exhausts and stuff. Done right, you can use it and cardboard to bog up holes in cases.

I also carry the metal epoxy repair putty. It's had a work out.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #66234
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy bruiser View Post
Hello,
I have been lurking for years finally thought I would post
I have a '10 DR and I am looking at getting some bigger foot pegs.
I am looking at the IMS superstock ones, are these any bigger than the standard pegs?
What other options is there, I looked on ebay without much luck.
Cheers
I've got the lowered Procycle pegs on my DR and love 'em! They're about 2/3 of the way down the page on the right: http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #66235
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
244 Shinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Good day all,
I spent a week trying to get used to this shinko 244 5.10-17 on the rear of my DR and man, that thing is squirelly. Gravel, and asphalt, the rear just never seems planted. I usually run a Shinko 705 or a Heindenau K60 on the rear, and a K60 on the front. Anyone knows if this is normal, or is the size of the tire making my steering seem weird? I did notice that the 244 seems to make my bike seem taller.
Thanks,
dljocky,

Ready for my fourth set of 244 Shinko tires. They work OK and do have a "little corner walk" with the knobs, but am happy with them as the price is right.

They last nearly 1/2 a year (~ 5 to 6K) if ridden like a grandpa... and only 1500 miles riding hard.

Yes, I'll keep running them on the DR.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #66236
bundy bruiser
Super Trucker

Oddometer: 6
bigger footpegs

I already have lowering plates for the standard pegs, I saw the pro cycle ones.
I dont like the pivot pegs, any other ideas?
bundy bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #66237
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
For those that dont have access to machine tools, simply take an old clutch friction disc and an old clutch steel plate, drill through each one, nut & bolt it together, and now you have your very own clutch hub holding tool.
Good tip!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #66238
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Nobody had any thoughts or advice on this?
1 - It's time for new plugs. Do I go with the "standard" plug - CR10E or replace the CR9E plugs that are currently in the motor (I don't know why one of the previous owners went with the "hotter" plug)?

2 - Since the motor hasn't run in ~9 months, should I shoot a little WD40 into the cylinder, thru the spark plug holes, so as to provide the rings with some lubrication?

3 - Should I "spin up" some oil pressure, with the plugs out, to get oil circulating thru the motor before attempting to fire it up (I used to do this with my auto race engines after a rebuild - the DR's motor was not rebuilt/dis-assembled. It's just been sitting)?

1. I would go with the standard plug. If you have fouling issues they may be caused by something else the the PO was just masking a problem.

2 & 3. I'm not for putting anything liquid in the cylinder. You could hydraulic the bike, foul the plugs right off the bat and force contaminants past the rings into the oil. BUT- If you do spray something in there DEFFINATELY spin the bike over with the plugs out. This will get any excess wd-40 or whatever out before you try starting the bike. And keep the plugs fresh. It isn't a bad idea to crank the bike with the plugs out to get some oil flowing. The mains are usually the first thing to get oil so you shouldn't have to crank it long. Don't go crazy on the starter button. If the battery goes dead or the starter is glowing you probably went too long.

Edit: Almost forgot- DO NOT spray anything with silcone type lubricant in the cylinder. If you do you will be putting new rings in it.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #66239
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Thanks Dave,
I'm going on another trip next month, I'll throw them back on, and give 'em another try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
dljocky,

Ready for my fourth set of 244 Shinko tires. They work OK and do have a "little corner walk" with the knobs, but am happy with them as the price is right.

They last nearly 1/2 a year (~ 5 to 6K) if ridden like a grandpa... and only 1500 miles riding hard.

Yes, I'll keep running them on the DR.

Dave
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #66240
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Edit: Almost forgot- DO NOT spray anything with silcone type lubricant in the cylinder. If you do you will be putting new rings in it.
Why?

Thanks
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote