Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #66421
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Is Bike Bandit pretty competive as far as OEM parts go, or should I just order these up from the dealer? Also, who's the best supplier for a sealed version of the wheel bearings? I believe someone said to avoid the All Balls stuff.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #66422
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
I've just had a set of Eibach .47's arrive from Procycle. 4 washers and a length of plastic pipe for the spacers were all included in the box.
Wow. Thanks for letting me know I got hosed!

Curious, were a set if emulators or intiminators included in your spring order?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #66423
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
Is Bike Bandit pretty competive as far as OEM parts go, or should I just order these up from the dealer? Also, who's the best supplier for a sealed version of the wheel bearings? I believe someone said to avoid the All Balls stuff.

BB is competitive on certain parts. Not so much on others. Do some comparison shopping.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #66424
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Anyboby have Shinko 712 tires? I'm thinking about doing a 100/90-19 front. Opinions? My DR lives on the pavement.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #66425
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
Hmm... Maybe I need to get some washers from the hardware store. I wonder how important it is to have washers between the spacer and fork cap.
I believe the washer is to keep the spring from grabbing the spacer or fork cap. As the spring goes up and down the coils tend to try to twist the spring. In my opinion there would not be enough twist to matter, but I remember a few years back a product was sold that allowed the spring to twist without resistance. It was like two washers with needle bearing between them that was placed on top of the spring if I remember correctly. That said I would be willing to try them, but I'll try anything just to see if its better. I think it was used to reduce the initial movement of the fork from the resistance to twisting brought from the spring grabbing the cap. In my working with forks I have once removed the washers to reduce pre-load even more, and cannot tell the difference.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #66426
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
If you have a bearing supplier such as Kaman Technologies or McGuire Bearing, take the parts you need to them and you can usually get good quality bearings cheaper than from other sources, and they can supply the sealed wheel bearings as well.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #66427
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone have any opinions on the MSR or Quadboss kits for the steering stem or wheel bearings? The dealer here offered them for about half the price of the OEM stuff, just wondering if the quality is reputable.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #66428
cabinfever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
I believe the washer is to keep the spring from grabbing the spacer or fork cap. As the spring goes up and down the coils tend to try to twist the spring. In my opinion there would not be enough twist to matter, but I remember a few years back a product was sold that allowed the spring to twist without resistance. It was like two washers with needle bearing between them that was placed on top of the spring if I remember correctly. That said I would be willing to try them, but I'll try anything just to see if its better. I think it was used to reduce the initial movement of the fork from the resistance to twisting brought from the spring grabbing the cap. In my working with forks I have once removed the washers to reduce pre-load even more, and cannot tell the difference.
That was my thought on the washer, too... to keep the spring from catching on the spacer. The emulator instructions specifically says to put the spring directly on top of the emulator, so no washer there. And I didn't see a need for a washer on top of the spacer. I will more than like leave things as they are unless someone comes along and says I am headed for a horrible, fiery crash if I don't have a washer on top of the spacer.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #66429
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
That was my thought on the washer, too... to keep the spring from catching on the spacer. The emulator instructions specifically says to put the spring directly on top of the emulator, so no washer there. And I didn't see a need for a washer on top of the spacer. I will more than like leave things as they are unless someone comes along and says I am headed for a horrible, fiery crash if I don't have a washer on top of the spacer.
You are headed for a horrible, fiery crash.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #66430
cabinfever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:

And with that... off to the hardware store I go!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #66431
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
Quote:
Anyone have any opinions on the MSR or Quadboss kits for the steering stem or wheel bearings? The dealer here offered them for about half the price of the OEM stuff, just wondering if the quality is reputable.

Thanks!
Whatever you order, make sure it includes the seal/dust covers for the top and bottom. I bought from ProCycle and their kit has the seals.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 02:20 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #66432
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,170
Quote:

What is the story of that rider who looks like he's about to hit the fire-bike? Did he somehow make it, or did he hit it?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #66433
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 613
I've had pretty great success with the All Balls bearings. The steering bearings in my dr are those and I put a set in the sprocket carrier that have held up longer than the oem jobs ( likely because they are double sealed ).
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #66434
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
If the rear wheel of the DR350 has a cush drive hub, than yes it will fit your 650, all you have to do is flip the brake disk of the 650 and use all the 650 spacers, I'm not sure about the front wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Does anyone know if I can fit on my 2008 DR650se front and rear wheels from a 1994 Suzuki Dr350s?

Boulder
40cu.in.of.furey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #66435
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
...You might not be using the tread all the way to the sidewall on a more street oriented tire...if that kind of thing is important to you. It also looks like your running a 70 aspect ratio rear tire.....I don't do track days so the so called "chicken strips" are meaningless to me. ...Tech23
haha, same 'ol Tech23! nice to see you made it to the ADV forum. and yes, the street tires i'm ordering will definitely be used all the way to the edge of the sidewall. :P

that rear is a 140/80, that's the only Distanzia with the DS compound and was the reason for the mileage report. just in case some others are interested.

overall, pretty good tire. they get a little squirmy after i've been pushing them hard for several miles. it's probably just my fatass.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote