Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #66946
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,963
check you out Chris. congrats!
we'll have to do a DS ride some soon.
hitchcock says he's selling his triumph and buying a 950SE to DS ride from his house.

you've got a skidplate so 1st mod would be a seat concepts or saddleman seat upgrade
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe

those 350s are very popular in colo so it will sell fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Well, there she is. Money pit in the flesh.

The little brother, my dr350, will be on the auction block soon.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 12:49 PM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #66947
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
you of course pay for the heavier material used with the GL bags where as the WM bag is 1/2 the price. i'm sure the price point is why WM keeps the beta the way it is.
My wife had the Giant Loop Great Basin last year and hated it - it was much harder for her to use because she has arthritis in her hands and getting the zipper open and closed was really tough for her.

She loves the Wolfman Beta.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #66948
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
My wife had the Giant Loop Great Basin last year and hated it - it was much harder for her to use because she has arthritis in her hands and getting the zipper open and closed was really tough for her.

She loves the Wolfman Beta.
sorry to hear about her issues. yes the zipper is very strong and beefy and they designed it to be that way.

... does she take some Bragg's apple cider vinegar every day? ACV has proven to help flush out the calcium deposits in the joints and help alleviate arthritis. ACV is the worlds oldest medicine.
http://www.bragg.com/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #66949
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
sorry to hear about her issues. yes the zipper is very strong and beefy and they designed it to be that way.

... does she take some Bragg's apple cider vinegar every day? ACV has proven to help flush out the calcium deposits in the joints and help alleviate arthritis. ACV is the worlds oldest medicine.
http://www.bragg.com/
Thanks for the ACV tip - she's using liquid glucosamine and it seems to work for her.

I thought laughter was the world's oldest medicine?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #66950
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 619
Tubiss doesn't make a 17" for the rear and I have aready planned to use sealer inside of the rims. I am just interested in what other DR650 have experienced after doing the conversion to running without tubes.

Thanks for your input.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
My buddy has a Tubliss set up on his KTM. Not good for traveling. You have to refill the tubliss to 100 psi each day, because it leaks down. the tire stays where you put it, but that super high pressure finds it way through.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #66951
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Folks-what size top clamp do I need from HDB? I searched around but the photos are impossible to read the size on the clamp. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #66952
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
check you out Chris. congrats!
we'll have to do a DS ride some soon.
hitchcock says he's selling his triumph and buying a 950SE to DS ride from his house.

you've got a skidplate so 1st mod would be a seat concepts or saddleman seat upgrade
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe

those 350s are very popular in colo so it will sell fast.
It's funny you say that. I got a gel and Corbin seat from another inmate to try out.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #66953
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
Planning on sealing my stock rims so that I can run tubeless.
I followed this method and it worked great for the front wheel, but had trouble with the rear. Eventually I was able to seal the rear too, and I am now relatively worry-free as far as flats go.

Pay very close attention to the prep phase. If done properly then you will have a good seal that will last for years and tens of thousands of miles from all the reports I have read. I have more than 1000 miles on mine and I have had no problems.

There are also quite a few other methods at the Supermotojunkie website.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #66954
wncstrada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
My Lucky Day -Ohlins Shock

Ever gone to a grand opening and registered for a door prize - knowing that your chances of winning were astromomical? Well, back in May my luck finally turned. Ohlins USA is located a few miles away from me in Hendersonville NC. I saw on the internet that they were going to have an Open House, and that the door prize was a free shock. Well, why not go? My wife and I went by and saw their impressive facility and lots of tricked out bikes. A few days later I got a call from Gary Christopher at Ohlins - I had won the shock! That also created a problem because Ohlins does lot list a shock for the DR650. After a little research, Gary came up with a plan: they would try to adapt the Ohlins DRZ400 shock to my 650. The pictures below show the results. I've gone from a spring and a prayer to a very controlled rear suspension. Gary told me that the new shock is a very tight fit!

After about 2 rides it was clear that the new shock was a vast improvement and that I needed to upgrade my front forks. Rick Tannenbaum at Cogent Dynamics was extremely helpful and did the emulators / springs upgrade. Now the bike is much more balanced.

I just did about 50 miles of Forest Service roads today and I'm really impressed with the bike and the suspension. I had not planned to work on the forks or shock this year but I'm glad that I got lucky and that there are such great resources nearby. I've got nothing but great things to say about Gary at Ohlins and Rick at Cogent Dynamics.
wncstrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #66955
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncstrada View Post
Ever gone to a grand opening and registered for a door prize - knowing that your chances of winning were astromomical? Well, back in May my luck finally turned.
Wow, congrats on the change in luck! What on earth are you gonna do to the front end to bring it up to par with the rear?
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #66956
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
I'm off on a little ride this week for a few hundred miles camping. Any ideas or pic's on how and what you use to strap on all your gear to the rack? Ropes? Bungi's?

Rok straps....great product. I use them evereryday on my commute and never had them losing or slip at all.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #66957
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 619
Thank you very much for input. I think I will try the method you used instead of what plans I had.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
I followed this method and it worked great for the front wheel, but had trouble with the rear. Eventually I was able to seal the rear too, and I am now relatively worry-free as far as flats go.

Pay very close attention to the prep phase. If done properly then you will have a good seal that will last for years and tens of thousands of miles from all the reports I have read. I have more than 1000 miles on mine and I have had no problems.

There are also quite a few other methods at the Supermotojunkie website.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #66958
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Just another blurb hoping anyone has a bead on a good dr350 rear wheel. Ebay has not been my friend. The few there are either too pricey and not true or well priced but rusty and mistreated. Cheers!
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #66959
advriderwannabe
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Newbie - might buy DR650 this weekend, need advice

Hello Everyone,

I've been trolling this site for a while and learning a lot. Lots of inspirational ride reports and great information that probably can't be found anywhere else. I currently do not own a motorcycle but am looking to buy one soon. I have a motorcycle license and have taken the Motorcycle safety course. I'm 37 years old, 6 feet 215 lbs with 32 inseam.

Seems like the DR650 is ok for a first bike from what I've read. I came across one in a town about 3.5 hours from my house which is a 2007 DR650SE with 768 miles on it. It is woman owned (supposedly) with clear title. The lady told me that the bike fell over and may have hit a rock so there is a small dent on the gas tank. She also said that the kickstand has a bit of rust. The bike was garage kept early on but is currently covered at an apartment complex (the owners are military I believe).

She was asking $3200 for the bike and already willing to go down to $3100. So I guess I am asking for help from the experts on here on what to look for. I am going to make the trip on Saturday morning to check it out. She said the bike was checked by a mechanic and there is just normal wear and tear on the bike. I asked her if the bike produces any smoke -- she said that all dual sports produce exhaust/smoke. I then asked if it was producing any black smoke and she said no. She said there are no leaks or anything like that.

Is this a good price for the bike? I can try and figure out how to attach some pics that she sent me. Any advice from you guys would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

ARWB
advriderwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #66960
MeterPig
Meh

Wannabe,
Where do you live? Location has a lot to do with it. If you can, please go in and update your profile.