Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #66976
advriderwannabe
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
None of mine smoke, so I'm kinda confused as to what she's talking about. Now 2-strokes are a different story...

Don't worry about the stock tank. You'll want to replace that with a larger capacity aftermarket version almost immediately.

For an '07 with so little mileage on it, I'd be inclined to snap it up if it starts and runs okay. Mine's an '07 and it's pretty much the greatest thing since bacon. Of course, a lot depends on your willingness and ability to perform basic mechanical tasks. It may need a seal or a gasket here or there from sitting idle but with basic tools and a service manual, any reasonably competent DIY'er can find their way around a DR.

I updated my profile guys.. im in fairfax, va about 22 miles or so from the white house. Although the area i live in is pretty congested, there are some nice country roads nearby, skyline drive and some major national parks that have riding trails as well....

The thing with the exhaust/smoke concerns me.. should there be any visible exhaust coming out of the bike?... i dont mind doing any minor maintenance work, i've done tune ups, oil changes and changed brake pads on my car... anything else i should be looking for? what do you guys think of the price? I would think 768 miles on a 2007 DR650 is literally nothing for this type of bike..

Thanks again for the help..
advriderwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #66977
advriderwannabe
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I paid more than $3100 for my 01, so that doesn't seem like an awful price. Like the other guy says, if the thing starts up and she can demo it running, I'd grab it. I wouldn't hesitate to ask how come it only got <1000 miles after five years. It seems like just pushing it up and down my driveway once a day for five years would total more than 768. As for it being a first bike...I've always been one of the "start on a 250 if you've never ridden before" people. This thing isn't crotch rocket fast, but you can get yourself into some trouble with a quickness if you are hamfisted with the throttle. Ride safe, and have fun.
Thanks for the advice, the couple is military and they said they were deployed that's why the bike has low mileage on it.
advriderwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #66978
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 553
unusual chain wear

On a recent long ride (5K miles) while checking chain slack I noticed that small flats are appearing on the outside of my chain links as if something is contacting the chain. Well, since I was about to travel a few thousand more miles I decided to replace the chain. It had about 12K miles and was showing some stretch but was under the limit. The new chain now has about 4K miles and I'm seeing the same wear again.

Here is what I'm seeing.

Flat spots are bigger on the left side plates.

I'm running a 16T in front and there seems to be lots of outside clearance.

Plenty of clearance here.

Top roller is gone and bottom roller replaced with ball bearing type, it rolls freely.

Could this be normal wear from dirt abrasion as it contacts the roller and lower chain guide?

Anybody else have this kind of wear?

Should I stop worrying?
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #66979
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
It's rubbing metal to metal somewhere. However, I had a few bikes do that and it didn't matter to me...however, they were off road bikes with short chain lives anyway.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #66980
MeterPig
Meh

So I just went up and checked my chain on both the 350 and 650 both with around 5 thousands miles...no wear. Hmmm....
Old 07-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #66981
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Whatever it is, mine's in about the same shape. It looks consistent though, both in terms of link to link wear and it's evenly spread along the length of the chain.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #66982
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard911 View Post
So you are running the Staintune full system with the quiet insert? I had heard from others here that that system was similar in noise to other straight thru systems. The evaluations that I have seen were, very pretty, but very $$$$$, and loud.
No, a Megacyle muffler with 'tea strainer' end cap fitted and FMF pb header.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #66983
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
No, a Megacyle muffler with 'tea strainer' end cap fitted and FMF pb header.
PS
http://www.megacycle.com.au/
Old 07-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #66984
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Clutch slipping?

Ok fellas- riddle me this:

I am always very heavy on the throttle and run high speeds. Towards the end of today's ride, I was passing a guy and I was going about 70mph in 5th gear. It was at that time I felt the rpm's revving higher, but without the acceleration that should accompany the twisted throttle. I wasn't sure if I perceived it right and tried to duplicate it as I went my way down the road. It still pulled strong in the lower gears, but in 5th (and i think 4th) if I really gunned it, I could feel the same thing, higher revving rpm's without the usual corresponding accelleration. I mean, it went faster, but it felt like something was slipping under hard throttle.

I dont think its the TM40 as its new, fixed, and sounds/feels smooth and sorted.
My chain is still good and sprockets nice and pointy and proper.
Clutch cable is adjusted
No other corresponding symptoms.
Shes a '98 with about 15k miles
Petrol was 87 octane, and from our huge tank on our land, so I dont think bad gas is an issue- ive used it before.

Any ideas, gentlemen?
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #66985
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.dica View Post
Any ideas, gentlemen?
Classic case of "slipping clutch". Sometimes caused by running the wrong engine oil, other times by having burned it out by overheating it.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #66986
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
+1
Did you switch oils recently?
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #66987
MeterPig
Meh

Oh the "wrong" engine oil? I guess I have the right engine oil.

Anyway, sounds like your clutch plates are worn or your clutch springs aren't as spry as they used to be.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #66988
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Oh the "wrong" engine oil? I guess I have the right engine oil.

Anyway, sounds like your clutch plates are worn or your clutch springs aren't as spry as they used to be.
The "wrong" engine oil in this situation would be the type that has friction reducing additives, SE or SM type, as that would get into the clutch plates and cause them to slip.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #66989
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Ive been using royal purple synthetic oil- changing it regularly- last was about 1k miles ago- levels are still full. Im very good about properly maintaining the oil situation.

Im hoping it is just clutch springs, but about a year and a half ago, I opened up the case fore the first time to fix the NSU's. During this, i didnt have the right tools and snapped the clutch basket and a clutch friction plate (or 2--cant remember). Anyway- at that time Jesse from Kientech hooked me up with a basket and some clutch plates.. which had slight notches in them at the time from what I assume was heavy use by whomever owned it last). It was put back properly and tighened to spec and haven had an issue since the procedure about 5k miles ago.

Lets hope its an easy fix, as Im about 3 days away from ordering my big bore kit.... id really hate to put that off again.
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #66990
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Have u messed around with the clutch cable adjustment at all recently.?? My bike started doing the same exact thing when I adjusted my clutch cable a little to tight. There should e a little free play in the clutch cable
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote