Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #67006
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohawk View Post
I would not worry. The chain will get a bit closer to the rear guide as the bike squats and that along with the chain slack is probably letting it hit the guide. Have you cleaned the guide and looked at it? I have the same but heavier wear on my chain. It currently has spun around for 9500 miles. There is nothing metallic remotely close to the chain.

The first half of its life was on 14/46 gearing with the stock rear guide. The wear on the rear guide matches the wear on the chain. I believe the chain lube residue and the grit from mostly off road riding in my case creates an abrasive slurry on the guide that acts like lapping compound and this is the result after a few gazillion revolutions. Okay, it is probably not that many. I will do the math later.

The last half has been on 15/47 gearing with a Kientech rear guide. The wear on the chain guide is less but it is still visible in the picture below. I think I was running with too much chain slack for a long time, too. I just recently removed the top roller but it had very little wear on it. The lower roller still spins freely so I do not think it is contributing much to this.

I did not realize my guide was taking such a beating until looking at that picture.
Thanks for that. I guess I'm not the only one with this kind of chain wear. When I looked at my guide there was very little evidence of contact but with the stock rear sprocket it would not come as close as yours does with an oversize sprocket.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #67007
maynard911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
No, a Megacyle muffler with 'tea strainer' end cap fitted and FMF pb header.
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the Megacycle web site and there is no listing for the DR, is yours a sportbike muffler adapted to fit?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #67008
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Broke down in MO, need service manual help

My bike has decided it doesn't want to start after being parked a few days. It was running fine when I parked it last Thursday and has been running fine over 5K miles in the past month (see my ride report in my sig line). Luckily it decided to quit at our friend's house, so we're not stranded exactly, but I don't have a service manual with me.

Bike is a '96 with 24,xxx miles. I suspect the pickup coil has failed, it matches the symptoms of others with that problem, but I don't know how to check it without the manual. Can someone help me out with this? I have a meter, just need to know what, where, and how to check and what the readings should be.

It is getting fuel, spark, and air....so what next? Safety switches have all been bypassed long ago, it isn't the kill switch. I pulled the carb (twice) and cleaned it, it has fresh fuel and is flowing fuel just fine. Air filter is clean.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #67009
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,712
Does the engine turn over when hitting the start button? Seems to me that the PU coil failure results in no spark? I'll try to find that info.

I found this in Krusty's DR650 Index.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=77

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=103

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 11:37 AM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #67010
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

It turns over and cranks fine. It gets spark, but I don't know how strong the spark is or the timing of the spark. It is getting fuel, the plugs are wet when I pull them.

Seems simple...air, fuel, and spark...makes it hard to troubleshoot when I have all three!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #67011
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Those top clamps are great for off road. They tie the 2 handlebar clamps together and prevent them from twisting independently when the bar comes in contact with the ground.
Exactly.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #67012
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
It turns over and cranks fine. It gets spark, but I don't know how strong the spark is or the timing of the spark. It is getting fuel, the plugs are wet when I pull them.

Seems simple...air, fuel, and spark...makes it hard to troubleshoot when I have all three!
......air, fuel, and spark.......

At the top right of this page, click 'search this thread', type "pick-up coil". You have to use the hyphen, the site drops any three letter search terms. There are a lot of trouble shooting ideas there.

edit: A healthy spark is a bright bluish white, a weak spark is yellow/orange.

ADV8's pic:

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 12:14 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #67013
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
It turns over and cranks fine. It gets spark...
If it has a spark then it's very unlikely that the pickup coil has gone bad.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #67014
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

I went and tested the spark again, it is very intermittent and when it does spark, it is very weak yellow, not the normal bright blue. I would say it is only sparking about every 8-10 revolutions, sometimes it will go twice as long.

I ordered a new pick-up with next day delivery, guess I'll just enjoy the A/C for another day and hang out with our friends. At least it broke here. The next day delivery was more than the pick-up, but still way cheaper than a tow or hotel room!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #67015
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrepower View Post
Why don't you have a chat with him and see if he would be interested in doing a few more!! I for one would have one in a heart beat.
We can do those ohlins shocks for you with no problem. Assuming ohlins have the parts for the drz shocks
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #67016
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Tire question

I mounted up a new front tire the other day, Shinko 700. I think the tire might be out of round. There's a thin raised line on the sidewall that shows about 1/8" above the rim but part of on one point it was below the rim. Not wanting to pull the tire I deflated it and broke the bead, reinflated and got the same thing. Pulled the wheel off and was going to remove the tire to check it out when I noticed it's a tubeless tire. Damn, didn't see that when I ordered it from Motorcycle SS, the only indication on the description is the TL on the size chart, they don't even carry the tubeless ones. So the question is if out of round tires are common with Shinko? Can I put a tube in a tubeless tire?

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #67017
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
I mounted up a new front tire the other day, Shinko 700. I think the tire might be out of round. There's a thin raised line on the sidewall that shows about 1/8" above the rim but part of on one point it was below the rim. Not wanting to pull the tire I deflated it and broke the bead, reinflated and got the same thing. Pulled the wheel off and was going to remove the tire to check it out when I noticed it's a tubeless tire. Damn, didn't see that when I ordered it from Motorcycle SS, the only indication on the description is the TL on the size chart, they don't even carry the tubeless ones. So the question is if out of round tires are common with Shinko? Can I put a tube in a tubeless tire?
Sounds like the bead is not seating evenly round the rim - or it has a bad belt/cord. Lube and reseat a few times - sometimes it takes more psi than is recomended - I've gone up to almost 70psi on some tires. Yes you can use a tube in a tire marked tubless.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #67018
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Thanks, I try reseating it again. I did go quite high with the pressure but it didn't do anything. Good to know that I can use a tubeless, thanks. The rear mounted up fine when I did that one last month.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #67019
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard911 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the Megacycle web site and there is no listing for the DR, is yours a sportbike muffler adapted to fit?
Don't think so. It was fitted by the PO and with the bike when I acquired it.

When I adapted the midpipe, which was/is also Megacycle, to the pb header Megacycle supplied me with a short length of tube to match, with one end expanded so I had a male/female match too.

A mate of mine has fitted an ex R6 Yam Megacyle muffler he had spare from his track bike to his DR and after making and fitting a smaller outlet, effectively bushing down the original, has had a similiar successful outcome. He still has the stock header

Contact them direct and see what they say.

Steve
Old 07-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #67020
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Break the bead both sides, lots of WD40 in there and re-inflate to 80psi.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote