Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #67006
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
I went and tested the spark again, it is very intermittent and when it does spark, it is very weak yellow, not the normal bright blue. I would say it is only sparking about every 8-10 revolutions, sometimes it will go twice as long.

I ordered a new pick-up with next day delivery, guess I'll just enjoy the A/C for another day and hang out with our friends. At least it broke here. The next day delivery was more than the pick-up, but still way cheaper than a tow or hotel room!
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #67007
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrepower View Post
Why don't you have a chat with him and see if he would be interested in doing a few more!! I for one would have one in a heart beat.
We can do those ohlins shocks for you with no problem. Assuming ohlins have the parts for the drz shocks
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #67008
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,783
Tire question

I mounted up a new front tire the other day, Shinko 700. I think the tire might be out of round. There's a thin raised line on the sidewall that shows about 1/8" above the rim but part of on one point it was below the rim. Not wanting to pull the tire I deflated it and broke the bead, reinflated and got the same thing. Pulled the wheel off and was going to remove the tire to check it out when I noticed it's a tubeless tire. Damn, didn't see that when I ordered it from Motorcycle SS, the only indication on the description is the TL on the size chart, they don't even carry the tubeless ones. So the question is if out of round tires are common with Shinko? Can I put a tube in a tubeless tire?

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #67009
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
I mounted up a new front tire the other day, Shinko 700. I think the tire might be out of round. There's a thin raised line on the sidewall that shows about 1/8" above the rim but part of on one point it was below the rim. Not wanting to pull the tire I deflated it and broke the bead, reinflated and got the same thing. Pulled the wheel off and was going to remove the tire to check it out when I noticed it's a tubeless tire. Damn, didn't see that when I ordered it from Motorcycle SS, the only indication on the description is the TL on the size chart, they don't even carry the tubeless ones. So the question is if out of round tires are common with Shinko? Can I put a tube in a tubeless tire?
Sounds like the bead is not seating evenly round the rim - or it has a bad belt/cord. Lube and reseat a few times - sometimes it takes more psi than is recomended - I've gone up to almost 70psi on some tires. Yes you can use a tube in a tire marked tubless.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #67010
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, I try reseating it again. I did go quite high with the pressure but it didn't do anything. Good to know that I can use a tubeless, thanks. The rear mounted up fine when I did that one last month.

Tom Waits
Old 07-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #67011
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard911 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the Megacycle web site and there is no listing for the DR, is yours a sportbike muffler adapted to fit?
Don't think so. It was fitted by the PO and with the bike when I acquired it.

When I adapted the midpipe, which was/is also Megacycle, to the pb header Megacycle supplied me with a short length of tube to match, with one end expanded so I had a male/female match too.

A mate of mine has fitted an ex R6 Yam Megacyle muffler he had spare from his track bike to his DR and after making and fitting a smaller outlet, effectively bushing down the original, has had a similiar successful outcome. He still has the stock header

Contact them direct and see what they say.

Steve
Old 07-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #67012
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Break the bead both sides, lots of WD40 in there and re-inflate to 80psi.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #67013
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
Sounds like the bead is not seating evenly round the rim - or it has a bad belt/cord. Lube and reseat a few times - sometimes it takes more psi than is recomended - I've gone up to almost 70psi on some tires. Yes you can use a tube in a tire marked tubless.
Got it. Had to inflate to around 50psi before it popped into place right. Only my 2nd tire mount, the other seated up fine. Thanks again.

Tom Waits
Old 07-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #67014
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncstrada View Post
Ever gone to a grand opening and registered for a door prize - knowing that your chances of winning were astromomical? Well, back in May my luck finally turned. Ohlins USA is located a few miles away from me in Hendersonville N.........................

..........did about 50 miles of Forest Service roads today and I'm really impressed with the bike and the suspension. I had not planned to work on the forks or shock this year but I'm glad that I got lucky and that there are such great resources nearby. I've got nothing but great things to say about Gary at Ohlins and Rick at Cogent Dynamics.
Nice score.

Lots have tried to match or better the Ohlins over the years with varying success. Mostly, you can't get better than an Ohlins, and once dialed, they just work.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #67015
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,531
Nevermind, 205'd

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
I agree that you aren't getting the tire seated. I've had to unseat, lube, air up, unseat, lube, air up; repeatedly on some tires. Recently I had to overinflate and bounce the wheel on the ground like I was trying to bend the rim. My theory: you want to bounce the wheel with the unseated section at the top. You want to push the tire toward the problem section, you aren't trying to push that part back down into the wheel.

There are thousands of riders running tubes in tires marked 'tubless'.

That thin raised line is there to tell you the tire isn't seated.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #67016
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
I went and tested the spark again, it is very intermittent and when it does spark, it is very weak yellow, not the normal bright blue. I would say it is only sparking about every 8-10 revolutions, sometimes it will go twice as long.

I ordered a new pick-up with next day delivery, guess I'll just enjoy the A/C for another day and hang out with our friends. At least it broke here. The next day delivery was more than the pick-up, but still way cheaper than a tow or hotel room!
Yeah, if the spark is intermittent then the pickup coil is a good place to start.
Don't overlook the spark plug caps. The resistors inside the caps can burn out and cause a similar problem.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #67017
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Good to know, thank you! I will take a look at them as well.
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #67018
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Come on, guys. Surely one of you have a DR headlight cowling you're willing to part with at a reasonable price, right?

ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #67019
TimCC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
When I bought my DR, it had the Suzuki gel seat installed. I'm really uncomfortable on it for anything more than my morning commute.

Does anyone know if the seat pan for the gel seat is the same as the stock seat?

I'm interested in getting the seat concepts foam and cover kit. If I have to buy a stock seat to start with, I may be better off saving a little extra money and get a Corbin or Sargent.
I've tried searching for this but have come up empty.

Thanks for the help everyone. Here's a pic of my toy right now.
TimCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #67020
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,997
Quote:
Got it. Had to inflate to around 50psi before it popped into place right. Only my 2nd tire mount, the other seated up fine. Thanks again.
I had the very same with a Shinko 705, but mine was that the tube, although it didn't look like it should, was getting under the bead. Glad you got yours through force, but when I checked for the fourth time and just wondered if pushing the tube from that raised area in a little more with tire irons would do anything, apparently it did.

Here I thought I had an out-of-round tire from Shinko.

Anyways, I used talc (actually baby powder this time) to lube the tube and to lube the beads.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote