Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #67201
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Dumb question number 506!
I do week long flights. Have a new battery in my '02. If I haven't used it for 10 days or so, I have to boost/charge the beast. Is this normal?
Lyle
No. Battery charge should be good for at least 30 days. Simplest test of alternator is to put voltmeter across battery at cold start up. Alternator should charge at least 14 volts. If it's a wet cell, are you sure the battery is full of fluid?

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #67202
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Battery

The battery on this bike has always seemed marginal to me. Even when new they don't crank very well. If mine sits for a week or more off the battery tender I am concerned. I have just resigned myself to always leaving it on a tender, even during the riding season. I have owned the bike since new, and had good quality batteries -- always been the same.

I will probably fork over the money for one of those pricey ones that procycle offers next time, or look at modifying the battery box (if even possible) to accept a bigger battery.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #67203
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,209
Quote:
I do week long flights. Have a new battery in my '02. If I haven't used it for 10 days or so, I have to boost/charge the beast. Is this normal?
Lyle
Again,no. I bought a DR that had sat for nearly 4 years, with a charge that battery lasted a few weeks, of course it needed a new one. Mine will fire up after weeks of sitting. If the jetting is spot on it really doesn't crank at all, immediate firing. I usually buy the cheapest (Walmart) batteries.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #67204
Rumlover
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Again,no. I bought a DR that had sat for nearly 4 years, with a charge that battery lasted a few weeks, of course it needed a new one. Mine will fire up after weeks of sitting. If the jetting is spot on it really doesn't crank at all, immediate firing. I usually buy the cheapest (Walmart) batteries.
I hope your good luck continues. If you ever have a need to "crank it" for very long (or more than a couple of times) it won't last very long. It will always charge back up (if it is a good battery), but it just doesn't have much cranking power or reserve to begin with (I am referring to oem equivilant types).

It is simply too small for the application. Suzuki would have put a bigger one in if there was room. Heck my old 250 timberwolf has a bigger battery, as do most ATVs --- why? because they have the room.

Rumlover screwed with this post 07-15-2012 at 12:20 PM
Old 07-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #67205
BlueRidgeKat
Daily Commuter

Oddometer: 203
Has anyone here put the Givi E21 hardbags on their DR like these ??

http://www.happy-trail.com/Suzuki-DR...cks-DR650.aspx

If so I'd like to see a side view picture of it if you have one. I had the E21's on a V-Strom 650 I sold and they are not much on capacity but are quite handy and "cheap".
BlueRidgeKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #67206
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
The battery on this bike has always seemed marginal to me. Even when new they don't crank very well. If mine sits for a week or more off the battery tender I am concerned. I have just resigned myself to always leaving it on a tender, even during the riding season. I have owned the bike since new, and had good quality batteries -- always been the same.

I will probably fork over the money for one of those pricey ones that procycle offers next time, or look at modifying the battery box (if even possible) to accept a bigger battery.
part of the issue is an undersized battery cable.
tpi has a cable upgrade kit.
http://www.tpimotorcycleparts.com/in...category_id=69
i switched over to a ETX9 DEKA AGM battery and this battery has plenty of additional crank power on my DR. AGMs can sit for a very long time with no issues. mine sat all winter and then cranked up just fine in the spring w/o being on a battery tender.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #67207
Rumlover
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i switched over to a ETX9 DEKA AGM battery and this battery has plenty of additional crank power on my DR. AGMs can sit for a very long time with no issues. mine sat all winter and then cranked up just fine in the spring w/o being on a battery tender.
Good tip on the cable! Thanks

I currently have the big crank agm (I think it is a rebranded DEKA). Still seems to crank the same to me, as did the OEM and walmart ones. Maybe I am just picky, but I am use to batteries spinning the motor briskly on my other toys -- this one just seems to be a little lazy about it. I will try the bigger cable next time.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #67208
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
I have a some 8 AWG around,anybody know what that stock battery cables are?
Old 07-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #67209
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
Good tip on the cable! Thanks

I currently have the big crank agm (I think it is a rebranded DEKA). Still seems to crank the same to me, as did the OEM and walmart ones. Maybe I am just picky, but I am use to batteries spinning the motor briskly on my other toys -- this one just seems to be a little lazy about it. I will try the bigger cable next time.

There are some more powerful batteries that will fit our battery box. I haven't tried one yet, but when my Deka battery needs replacing again (in a few years!) I might try one of the "bigger" batterys. Here's some info I picked up when I was looking at replacing the battery on my '09.

I'm using a Deka battery made by East Penn Mfg. Their replacement for the standard Yuasa YTX9-BS is the ETX9.

I haven't tried it myself but I have found out that there are three Yuasa Batteries that are almost exactly the same physical size, but more Amp Hours/Cold Cranking Amps. I was really tempted to try one in my '09 when I replaced the battery this spring, but ended up going with the Deka.

The stock YTX9-BS-BS is 150x87x105 mm and 8AH/120CCA
The YTX-12A-BS is an AGM battery with the same dimensions and 9.5AH/175CCA
The YTZ 12S is an AGM battery that is 150x87x110 (5mm taller) and 11AH/210CCA
The YTZ 14S is an AGM battery that is also 150x87x110 and packs 11.2AH and 230CCA

I went to pick up 2 of the YTZ14S for me and my riding buddy and when tested one of the only two in stock had a bad cell. That made me uneasy, so I had him bring out a Deka ETX9 and test it and it exceeded the CCA of the YTZ14S so I bought the American made Dekka this time. (the salesperson told me Deka is known to be conservative in rating their batteries) I'd still like to do a side by side comparison of the YTZ battery and see if it spins the DR any better, but I've always had good service from the Dekka, so I'm not sure if I'll switch next time or not.

It sure looks like the YTZ14S might be an interesting replacement for the YTX9. It;s only 3/16" taller (5mm) and with a couple of washers under the battery retainer it apparantly fits under the seat just fine. However, if you are really concerned about weight, it does weigh about 2 pounds more than the stocker.

The only concern I might have is that there are probably more plates in the higher capacity battary in the same (relatively) size package. I've read before that this could cause a problem due to the plates being closer together.

Having said all that, I'm REALLY satisfied with the Deka ETX9. Also made in the U.S. of A. if that matters to you.

I can't take credit for this. Here's the article I found this info in and a big THANK YOU to "Scott", wherever you are!

http://www.cs.clemson.edu/~westall/8...ki-battery.pdf

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #67210
Rumlover
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
Here's some info I picked up when I was looking at replacing the battery on my '09.

The stock YTX9-BS-BS is 150x87x105 mm and 8AH/120CCA
The YTX-12A-BS is an AGM battery with the same dimensions and 9.5AH/175CCA
The YTZ 12S is an AGM battery that is 150x87x110 (5mm taller) and 11AH/210CCA
The YTZ 14S is an AGM battery that is also 150x87x110 and packs 11.2AH and 230CCA

Thanks for sharing the info. I checked out batterymart to see what they offer for the YTZ14S. I obviously can't comment on quality compared to yuasa, but it was a pretty reasonable price, at $69.95.

http://batteries.batterymart.com/sea...ery=ytz14s+agm
Old 07-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #67211
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
You guys, or Sheila's, don't have cornstalks in your gas tanks do ya
We often have the option, and many servos here in NSW only offer it and diesel, and maybe 98. The 98 can be problematic as it burns too slow and can foul plugs unless the engine is set up for it, or can self adapt. The ethanol blend is 91 octane with 10% ethanol, E10. Sugar from Qld to keep the farmers happy. Many/most servos in the populated areas also have 95 and 98 which have no ethanol. The 91 E10 ends up being about 95 too.

In my cars its 91, else if only E10 is on the forecourt, then its 95. I tend to run 95 in my bikes, but if 95 isn't available, 91, then 98, and E10 is the absolute last choice if there is no other option.

And then there is OPal out west which the DR runs on. I've yet to test it in any others in my fleet though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opal_%28fuel%29

BergDonk screwed with this post 07-15-2012 at 03:14 PM
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #67212
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

Yikes! $100+ for a motorcycle battery cable, that's 5% of what I paid for the bike. I have some left over bigger cables from another application l may try. The one time it did fail to start I just cranked hard on the connections and it fired fine.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #67213
letskeepriding
Letskeepriding

Oddometer: 35
DRZ front end on DR

I'm sure its on here someplace but I can't find it. Do the stock springs need to be upgraded when you put a DRZ front on a DR ? I'm 175 without gear and do mostly double track & street. I just got the front end and its not on the bike so it will be easy to send it out if I should. I'd just as soon not spend the money if I don't need to

thanks for all your knowledge

If you're not slidin'm both, you're not pushing hard enough
letskeepriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #67214
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeKat View Post
Has anyone here put the Givi E21 hardbags on their DR like these ??

http://www.happy-trail.com/Suzuki-DR...cks-DR650.aspx

If so I'd like to see a side view picture of it if you have one. I had the E21's on a V-Strom 650 I sold and they are not much on capacity but are quite handy and "cheap".

Here's a few pics I have from different views. I'm using the SW-Motech Quick-Lock side carriers.

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #67215
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Not Normal

Quote:
Lyle

My '06 is still on the original battery (I think, I bought the bike slightly used from a dealer in '07). I have been waiting for it to be a problem but as of April,it could sit for a month and still start although it did turn a little slow at first. My guess would be that you have some parasitic electrical drain that is drawing down your battery. A dirty connection that allows for only a very slow drain to ground perhaps? When I last looked at a battery chart (don't recall whoose) the DR called for the same size battey as my 900cc Scrambler so it doesn't seem undersized to me but they might have been listing the biggest replacement instead of what the bikes come with. I am interested in trying one of the Lithium batteries, just hate to part with that much $$$ until I really need to. I would be inclined to blame poor connectionsand barely big enough cables for starting issues over battery size. Automotive (or bike) cables are rarely 'all they could be', on my boats I build better quality replacements as it's really hard to push start a boat. I might look into doing it for my DR as well because it shows all signs of being a "keeper".

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote