User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #67201
Moof Face
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I can finally post!

Hello ADV gurus. In the next few weeks I'll be the proud owner of an '09 DR650. She'll be making frequent trips back and forth between Alaska and the Yukon.

So what I've picked up through this forum is that the first thing I should do is the Corbin seat. What else is a 'need-be' for this otherwise stock bike? It'll see its fair amount of dirt usage, as well as highway stints.
Moof Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #67202
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
If there is no gap the armour is only any good for avoiding scratches.
If the armour is hard up against the case,any blow that dents the armour will transfer to the case.
The RTV barrier will absorb that dent.
Its this easy.
Think of is like a crash helmet with the liner in and out.
Would you put a fibreglass pot on your head without the polystyrene liner in it.
If in doubt just punch or cut a few rubber wads the thickness you want.
Stick those on to the cover first then they will set the gap for you when the cover is fitted with RTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFur View Post
Hi Guys,

Quick question - I'm attaching the AMP case guards tomorrow, unsure how much gap to leave between the guard and the engine case? Some places indicate about 3 mm (1/8") however the line in the AMP instructions "The outer lip may not touch the cover all the way around. If there is a small gap fill it with RTV" indicates that it is expected that the cover should be pushed on to make contact at the edges, presumably the cover is shaped so that there is a gap in the centre with only the edges touching. So for the AMP covers (may be different for Procycle etc) leave a gap at the edges or push on to make contact?

Cheers
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #67203
NorCal Jeff
Bold New Graphics!

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moof Face View Post
I can finally post!

Hello ADV gurus. In the next few weeks I'll be the proud owner of an '09 DR650. She'll be making frequent trips back and forth between Alaska and the Yukon.

So what I've picked up through this forum is that the first thing I should do is the Corbin seat. What else is a 'need-be' for this otherwise stock bike? It'll see its fair amount of dirt usage, as well as highway stints.
or the Procycle...or the Sargent..or the Renazco..etc. I use an Airhawk cushion..some guys actually LIKE the stock seat..no matter how you ride..you'll find it here!

one Bike to rule them all..
'06 DR 650
If it ain't broke...DON'T FIX IT!!!

NorCal Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #67204
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
My bike came with a Corbin seat. I hated it. It was wide, heavy, slippery, and not very comfortable. It's gone now, with the proceeds gone on a Pro Cycle/Saddlemen, which is great.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #67205
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
tm40 install - update

Hi all,

I’ve installed my TM40 pumper into the DR and all seems good. It idles good and doesn’t seem to stumble going through the gears. Installation was reasonably straight forward.

However!! I’m somewhat disappointed with its performance. I thought I was buying a WOW factor after reading so many reviews about how “stunning” and “torque” the TM40 provides. Well, there is a performance enhancement but nowhere the likes of what I’ve read. It doesn’t lift the front wheel in any gear and torque seems to be similar to my very standard factory carb. Apart from this, it runs as it should (idles and no flat spots etc).

I’ve adjusted the mixture as per the instructions and have cut the airbox out. I believe, according to Procycle, it has a 145 main jet and on the second clip. Apart from this my bike is standard everything else.

I’m hoping someone can give me a hint to help bring out the beast.

Thanks kindly.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #67206
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
Quoting myself here to see if I can get more input (thanks Ghostdncr). It's been a week now of maybe the only sunshine western Washington will see this summer and it's still not dried out enough to function properly. Gauge doesn't wake up with motor start, bike has to be moving, and the mode button doesn't work at all. It has dried out enough that theres no longer vapor visible under the display though.
Very disappointed and more than a little surprised. Did a lot of research, but just ASSumed a $125 motorcycle gauge for trail bikes would be waterproof. Maybe "Vapor" was the hidden clue?
It'a few months out of warranty.
TIA for any help.
Wish I could help you, Ive heard of this before, but I dont think its that common. Ive had mine for 4 or 5 years and never had a issue, rode in lots of rain, sat out in occasionally as well, maybe you got a dud.

Ive heard Trail tech is really good about this stuff, so maybe its worth a call or a email.

Good Luck, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #67207
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr DR650 (2011) View Post
The pumper will not make you a hooligan, if you weren't one already.

Hold my beer and watch this.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #67208
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Replaced the pick-up coil in my bike and ran into major problems, or so it seemed. It cranked for about 10 seconds, then all the lights went out and there was nothing. I thought it was the main fuse, but that was fine. The battery tested at 13.28v, but no juice through the system. We played with a meter for about 3 hours last night looking for a short without success. This morning, I reconnected everything and put the battery from my wife's bike in mine. Instant electrical and the bike fired right up! Put in a new battery and all is well now!

Apparently there was a problem with the old battery that it would put out the voltage, but not the current necessary. When I pulled it out, one end of the battery was slightly bulged.

For anyone worried about changing their pick-up coil, it is a simple procedure. Order a gasket in advance, I had to use permatex to make a gasket since I didn't have time to wait for one to be shipped. The old gasket cracked and then just crumbled while I was removing it. The hardest part of the whole procedure was unrouting the wires from the stator and pick-up out of the wiring harness so I could use the impact screwdriver to take the pick-up coil screws out.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #67209
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Pick-up coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
Replaced the pick-up coil in my bike and ran into major problems, or so it seemed. It cranked for about 10 seconds, then all the lights went out and there was nothing. I thought it was the main fuse, but that was fine. The battery tested at 13.28v, but no juice through the system. We played with a meter for about 3 hours last night looking for a short without success. This morning, I reconnected everything and put the battery from my wife's bike in mine. Instant electrical and the bike fired right up! Put in a new battery and all is well now!

Apparently there was a problem with the old battery that it would put out the voltage, but not the current necessary. When I pulled it out, one end of the battery was slightly bulged.

For anyone worried about changing their pick-up coil, it is a simple procedure. Order a gasket in advance, I had to use permatex to make a gasket since I didn't have time to wait for one to be shipped. The old gasket cracked and then just crumbled while I was removing it. The hardest part of the whole procedure was unrouting the wires from the stator and pick-up out of the wiring harness so I could use the impact screwdriver to take the pick-up coil screws out.

Tim
Yep, those batteries tend to go bad. Must be all the bumps and jumps? The OEM on my 2006 lasted until early spring 2012, but now has a gel cell and love it. Got it from some on-line battery place in Florida (second one-other on the CB250) at a reasonable price. They even shipped US Mail with no haz-mat fee (it's a sealed battery).

My DR needed a new pick-up coil a few months ago and no problems since. Guess I'd better get a spare to carry?

Three DR's and a Wee-Strom went for a nice 200 plus mile ride today... all pavement to the coast and back. No issues with any of the bikes.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #67210
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Hi all,

I’ve installed my TM40 pumper into the DR and all seems good. It idles good and doesn’t seem to stumble going through the gears. Installation was reasonably straight forward.

However!! I’m somewhat disappointed with its performance. I thought I was buying a WOW factor after reading so many reviews about how “stunning” and “torque” the TM40 provides. Well, there is a performance enhancement but nowhere the likes of what I’ve read. It doesn’t lift the front wheel in any gear and torque seems to be similar to my very standard factory carb. Apart from this, it runs as it should (idles and no flat spots etc).

I’ve adjusted the mixture as per the instructions and have cut the airbox out. I believe, according to Procycle, it has a 145 main jet and on the second clip. Apart from this my bike is standard everything else.

Thanks kindly.
You sound like me. haha. Its all incremental steps forward when it comes to performance. Did you replace your air filter with a twinair or the like? that will help. The guys at procycle might have set you up with a 145 because you have the stock exhaust and stock air filter. Swapping those will result in a bit more power, if only marginal. Also I have a quick throttle tube, plugs one step hotter (cr9's) and a wrapped header pipe. It all works together to give a boost. Im surprised you dont notice more pull if you are going from a regular stock carb that hadn't been rejetted to the TM. It should be noticeable. That said, the thing that gave me the biggest gains in torque was dropping my countersprocket to a 14t. As I said all these mods are cumulative. The more you do, the more you will begin to feel like a hooligan. Also using premium petrol and allowing your bike time to warm up makes a big difference in performance. Ill report on the big bore in a week (unexpected cost of needing new clutch plates and then a new set of tires has delayed me by a week). You'll be stoked soon enough. On the bright side, be glad you don't have the power of a crotchrocket because you might not have a driver's license after a week. I know I would have mine revoked by the state patrol in no time if I had a performance bike.

"Hold my beer and watch this" hahahahahahahaha
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #67211
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks kindly.
Would have to wonder if you don't have something right. Even at 4800 ft, the pumper carb allowed me to throttle up the front wheel a few inches off the ground in 1st gear. Couldn't do that stock.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #67212
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
I like this:

Looks like it is from Roswell, NM
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #67213
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
Hi all,

However!! I’m somewhat disappointed with its performance. I thought I was buying a WOW factor after reading so many reviews about how “stunning” and “torque” the TM40 provides.
I'd be interested in seeing a dyno run comparing your stocker vs. the TM40. I'm thinking that there is a lot of hype about performance gains but other than making a bigger opening into the intake side of the motor, and perhaps having the pumper effect everything else is pretty much the same. Same size engine, same small valves, same cam openings, same restrictive exhaust. How many additional horses can be expected from just the one mod??
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #67214
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
I can finally post!

several seat options but I went with the DIY seat concepts kit and and am happy with the results and the price is about half what a Sargent or Corbin goes for though you do need to buy or borrow an air stapler to install it...also FWIW if you go with them mention that you are a member here and/or at drriders.com and shipping is free
(I have no connection to SC other than being a happy customer)
you also need to check and secure the NSU screws lest evil befall you, there is info on how to do that and much more at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549433
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #67215
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.dica View Post
You sound like me. haha. Its all incremental steps forward when it comes to performance. Did you replace your air filter with a twinair or the like? that will help. The guys at procycle might have set you up with a 145 because you have the stock exhaust and stock air filter. Swapping those will result in a bit more power, if only marginal. Also I have a quick throttle tube, plugs one step hotter (cr9's) and a wrapped header pipe. It all works together to give a boost. Im surprised you dont notice more pull if you are going from a regular stock carb that hadn't been rejetted to the TM. It should be noticeable. That said, the thing that gave me the biggest gains in torque was dropping my countersprocket to a 14t.

"Hold my beer and watch this" hahahahahahahaha
Yes, I will drop down to a 14 CS sprocket but everything else is standard; exhaust, airfilter etc. But I thought I would had noticed something a bit better than what I have now. Five hundred bucks is a lot of money for so little gain. I would have just done the dyno jet with the standard carb and save four hundred dollars. But yes, I suppose its incremental and will have to condisder a twin air filter but don't have the dollars for after market exhaust at this stage.

But still, any other feedback would be appreciated.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote