Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #67741
KS Jay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Anyone know of a good polish to clean up the stock seat? I know I don't want anything that's slippery.....

But I got some white paint overspray on my seat. Not a ton but when I tried to get it off it sort of just got absorbed by the seat and now it looks worse

Any ideas? I guess its a good excuse to get a seat kit but I don't want to spend any more money on the bike right now.
Did you try a little lacquer thinner on a rag?

monkey

KS Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #67742
PhL0aTeR
10:90

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post

Thanks!
Ill have to remember to search a 99 vs 06..... I got 27 from the 06 fiche, but 99 had the size.... Go figure...
Old 07-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #67743
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhL0aTeR View Post
Thanks!
Ill have to remember to search a 99 vs 06..... I got 27 from the 06 fiche, but 99 had the size.... Go figure...
Hmmmmm, hooda thunk?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #67744
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhL0aTeR View Post
Thanks!

If you look at the Suzuki part number structure it appears that the bolt dimensions are in the part number...
01547-06203 (BOLT6X20) Not 100% certain on this with Suzuki, but I know Honda parts numbers are structured this way for bolt dimensions. If you look at the part numbers in the illustration for bolts #25 01547-06353 (6x35) and bolt #26 01547-06303 (6x30) Suzuki may very well be using a Honda style part number structure.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID...RANKCASE_COVER

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country

Tech23 screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 01:53 PM
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #67745
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 619
Procycle choke conversion

My choke cable finally snapped from corrosion, seems a bit premature on a 2008 but others have had it happen. It kept getting sitffer so I knew something was up. Ordered a new oem cable but it was backordered so I got the Procycle kit, not the knob version since the IMS tank blocks easy access, but the one with the short cable. After installing it I thought what a nicely executed replacement - it looks like a factory part.

All was well until I rode the bike the next day and found that as soon as the engine started to warm it would not idle. I had to screw the idle stop a few turns and the idle mixture all the way in to max lean or it would stall. Well I've had stalling issues before so I thought maybe I'll just clean the pilot jet, I know according to the current carb best practices one should just replace it but I cleaned it anyway. But wait, a clogged pilot would cause a lean condition and this was the opposite so out came the new choke and to my surprise the plunger did not match the original.

As you can see the oem plunger and guide pin is longer, by about 3mm or 1/8 inch. This told me that when the choke was in the off position it was still partially on and may be responsible for my stalling problem. So I removed the new plunger and installed the original plunger and spring. I backed out the idle stop and set the mixture screw to 1.5 turns out and it ran nearly perfectly. After a good warmup ride I tweaked the settings and all is well again.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had issues with the choke conversion or did I just get the wrong part, maybe for a different carb? I still commend Procycle for a nicely finished part and their excellent shipping practices but maybe they should check the current batch to see if they all have the wrong plunger.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #67746
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
TM40 issue

I have been going around and around with a friends new to him DR with a TM40 carb. Fuell economy has been poor with some odd running issues. First issue was no adapter ring which created a vacuum leak at the intake. Could only make it idle and not die/ hiccup with a huge slow speed jet. But fuel economy was under 40 mpg. No go
I was back at the beast today and focused on the fact that there was no audible change in idle quality or speed when the idle mixture screw was in or out. My air/fuel meter would barely change. How odd. Decided to remove the extended mixtures crew for an inspection. Maybe a fudged o-ring? This is what I found.

B
O crap, it's stuck in bottom of the idle circuit where it feeds fuel downstream of the slide.

Finally got it out by grabbing a very small drill bit with a small vise grip pliers, inserting the bit into the hole visible in the throttle bore. Had to apply pressure to the vise grips with another pair of channel locks to get the booger out.

We have a replacement mixture screw coming but now a small rotation of the "shortened" screw has an affect on idle quality and fuel trims. I think we finally have beaten the beast down. Geez, something so small can create so much grief.
Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #67747
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 620
I had no problems with my install of that a few months ago. My DR ran perfect before and after the change.

TravelGuy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
My choke cable finally snapped from corrosion, seems a bit premature on a 2008 but others have had it happen. It kept getting sitffer so I knew something was up. Ordered a new oem cable but it was backordered so I got the Procycle kit, not the knob version since the IMS tank blocks easy access, but the one with the short cable. After installing it I thought what a nicely executed replacement - it looks like a factory part.

All was well until I rode the bike the next day and found that as soon as the engine started to warm it would not idle. I had to screw the idle stop a few turns and the idle mixture all the way in to max lean or it would stall. Well I've had stalling issues before so I thought maybe I'll just clean the pilot jet, I know according to the current carb best practices one should just replace it but I cleaned it anyway. But wait, a clogged pilot would cause a lean condition and this was the opposite so out came the new choke and to my surprise the plunger did not match the original.

As you can see the oem plunger and guide pin is longer, by about 3mm or 1/8 inch. This told me that when the choke was in the off position it was still partially on and may be responsible for my stalling problem. So I removed the new plunger and installed the original plunger and spring. I backed out the idle stop and set the mixture screw to 1.5 turns out and it ran nearly perfectly. After a good warmup ride I tweaked the settings and all is well again.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had issues with the choke conversion or did I just get the wrong part, maybe for a different carb? I still commend Procycle for a nicely finished part and their excellent shipping practices but maybe they should check the current batch to see if they all have the wrong plunger.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #67748
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Seat Concepts - I have the Carbon sides, Gripper top. It's grippier than the stock seat and took a bit to get used to. I wouldn't go back.
+1

Carbon/gripper is what Seat Concepts recommended to me, and they were spot on. Great seat.
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #67749
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrMnnn View Post
+1

Carbon/gripper is what Seat Concepts recommended to me, and they were spot on. Great seat.
So to clarify; is the carbon gripper............top of seat is gripper and sides are carbon OR the other way around?
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #67750
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
So to clarify; is the carbon gripper............top of seat is gripper and sides are carbon OR the other way around?
Sides carbon, top gripper.
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #67751
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Nice catch! So what is the little bottle that is mounted on your frame for?

Quote:

Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #67752
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Looks like a home made chain oiler.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #67753
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Quote:

Very interesting

I've just installed the same Procycle choke cable setup on my FCR when I installed the FCR 2 weeks ago. While the bike runs sweet throughout the rev range I can't get it to idle at all. I've tried all sorts of combinations of Idle mixture and speed settings to no avail.

I'd been thinking maybe I set something in the carb up wrong as I installed the needle/jets etc myself but maybe it's my cable.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #67754
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
Very interesting

I've just installed the same Procycle choke cable setup on my FCR when I installed the FCR 2 weeks ago. While the bike runs sweet throughout the rev range I can't get it to idle at all. I've tried all sorts of combinations of Idle mixture and speed settings to no avail.

I'd been thinking maybe I set something in the carb up wrong as I installed the needle/jets etc myself but maybe it's my cable.
I hate to ask an ignorant question, but as I look on the Procycle site, Isn't that particular mod only available for the stock or TM 40 carb?

Remote Choke Cable Kit

DR650SE '96-'12

Choose Type:

$32.95

Hate the handlebar mounted choke lever? Can't reach the choke knob? Does your Safari or IMS tank make using the choke difficult?
We now have a cable operated choke knob that mounts to the left side engine case. You can choose a remote choke for either the stock BST carburetor or for the Mikuni TM40.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #67755
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_runner View Post
I hate to ask an ignorant question, but as I look on the Procycle site, Isn't that particular mod only available for the stock or TM 40 carb?
To be honest I don't recall which carb I bought it for and what was available at the time as I've had it for quite a while. When I fitted it however it looked like the stock cable had a different sized thread than what the FCR would accept

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote