ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #67786
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer
 
sandwash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Flagstaff Az
Oddometer: 1,193
Alright,how did you do that?
__________________
97dr650
sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #67787
Garak
Still wearing pants.
 
Garak's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
Alright,how did you do that?
Stopped too quickly...
.
.
.
.
with the help of the car in front of me. Had the sun in my eyes so visibilty sucked and a pedestrian jumped out out in the front the car in front of me, but I didn't see him braking until it was too late. I managed to brake enough to reduce the impact quite a bit, but not enough to avoid the impact altogether.
__________________
__________________
Across the country on the kindness of strangers and the strangeness of friends (and a DR650).

My LinkedIn Profile
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #67788
JagLite
Studly Adventurer
 
JagLite's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Oddometer: 945
Pissed Supermoto fender causes damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post




It'll...buff right out?
I see the problem. The front fender made you do it.
That tire has too much traction so when you really get on the brakes, this is what happens.
Now if you were running a knobby...

No injuries?
Other damage?

Excellent time to upgrade the front forks...
Most of us don't need a reason, any excuse will do.
__________________
Attitude ~
The difference between
Ordeal and Adventure
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #67789
barko1
barko1
 
barko1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Las Cruces, NM or thereabouts
Oddometer: 3,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post

It'll...buff right out?
Theyare now articulated front forks, very cool! Glad you didn't get articulated.
__________________
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #67790
Garak
Still wearing pants.
 
Garak's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
I see the problem. The front fender made you do it.
That tire has too much traction so when you really get on the brakes, this is what happens.
Now if you were running a knobby...

No injuries?
Other damage?

Excellent time to upgrade the front forks...
Most of us don't need a reason, any excuse will do.

Hahaha true story. Right wrist is pretty badly sprained, a few bumps and bruises but not bad considering...

And yeah, now I've a project!
__________________
__________________
Across the country on the kindness of strangers and the strangeness of friends (and a DR650).

My LinkedIn Profile
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #67791
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 447
It should turn quick now with that decreased rake.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #67792
acap650
acap650
 
acap650's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Western PA
Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post




It'll...buff right out?
Might want to get in touch with this guy: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803048
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #67793
Garak
Still wearing pants.
 
Garak's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
Might want to get in touch with this guy: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803048
Good tip, thanks!
__________________
__________________
Across the country on the kindness of strangers and the strangeness of friends (and a DR650).

My LinkedIn Profile
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #67794
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer
 
Rugby4life's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Upstate SC (GSP area)
Oddometer: 680
New Bike Category

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post





It'll...buff right out?
All you have to do is reverse them and you can have the first Motard chopper. OCC eat your heart out!
__________________
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."
Rugby4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #67795
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tech23's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Arizona Desert
Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post
Stopped too quickly...
.
.
.
.
with the help of the car in front of me. Had the sun in my eyes so visibilty sucked and a pedestrian jumped out out in the front the car in front of me, but I didn't see him braking until it was too late. I managed to brake enough to reduce the impact quite a bit, but not enough to avoid the impact altogether.
Assuming the frames neck isn't tweaked it's not all that expensive or difficult to fix that if you only need replace the fork tubes and bushings....locating a take off complete front end might not be hard to do either. I have to guess based on your choice of rubber and minimalist (supermoto) front fender you do mostly street riding. Swapping to an inverted or cartridge front fork might be overkill for your use...and may bring on rear suspension work/expenses too.

Tech23
__________________
CRF 150/230/ Supermoto Conversion
2004 Suzuki DR 650SM

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #67796
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
All you have to do is reverse them and you can have the first Motard chopper. OCC eat your heart out!
Or leave them the way they are and use it for trials riding.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #67797
Garak
Still wearing pants.
 
Garak's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
Assuming the frames neck isn't tweaked it's not all that expensive or difficult to fix that if you only need replace the fork tubes and bushings....locating a take off complete front end might not be hard to do either. I have to guess based on your choice of rubber and minimalist (supermoto) front fender you do mostly street riding. Swapping to an inverted or cartridge front fork might be overkill for your use...and may bring on rear suspension work/expenses too.

Tech23
I'm hoping it's just the fork. I'm going to pull the front end apart and maybe magnaflux the steering head to look for any worrisome cracks. It was due for a front end overhaul anyway, so this just complicates that slightly I suppose. Haven't really decided whether to go with a replacement stock fork, or turn it into a predominantly dirt oriented machine and get something else for street duties.
__________________
__________________
Across the country on the kindness of strangers and the strangeness of friends (and a DR650).

My LinkedIn Profile
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #67798
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tech23's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Arizona Desert
Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post
I'm hoping it's just the fork. I'm going to pull the front end apart and maybe magnaflux the steering head to look for any worrisome cracks. It was due for a front end overhaul anyway, so this just complicates that slightly I suppose. Haven't really decided whether to go with a replacement stock fork, or turn it into a predominantly dirt oriented machine and get something else for street duties.

I don't think you will find any cracks in the metal...more likely bends, look for any obvious signs like loose flaking paint on the frame at the steering head area. When you say "predominantly a dirt oriented machine"....the more serious you want to be about riding the DR off road the less sense it makes. It will always be heavy and it will never be a dirt bike. Depends on what kind of terrain you plan to ravage on it and at what pace.

Tech23
__________________
CRF 150/230/ Supermoto Conversion
2004 Suzuki DR 650SM

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #67799
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!
 
toddiscdn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Blue Point, Ontario
Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Not to harp on about this but how slippery is the all carbon seat cover from SC! I'm getting conflicting reports: some say its good some say they move around too much and can nearly fall off - WTF.


Full carbon works for me, I can adjust my position easily, but Im certianly not sliding around at all, It was the best choice for my riding style.


Todd
__________________
"It's all about the beer"
drcool
08DR650 - Jack of all trades, master of none
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #67800
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart
 
TinkerinWstuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Northern Front Range
Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhomc1300 View Post
So if I leave the airbox open and install the stock muffler, will I be OK if I don't adjust the carb?
From what I've been told, the OEM muffler might prefer one step leaner on the main. It will probably be fine right where it's at. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in selling your aftermarket can.
__________________
1999 Suzuki DR650
1998 Honda VFR800 Interceptor
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...KJutW9osVpn3hd
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014