Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #67951
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbosdr650 View Post
hey guys,

just wondering if anyone could help me, I am about to replace my clutch and wanted to clean and check the pinion gear. Any ideas on how to get it out.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1281313546

Thanks
What makes ya sell?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #67952
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,112
BigDogMax - ditto on the video. Great job by your daughter. Even better that she's out there with you.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #67953
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember my carburetor issues we discussed on this thread about one week ago. Now, some of the new parts I ordered arrived. To cut it short, I replaced the modified white nylon washer/spacer thing that holds the jet needle, with a new and unmodified one. Now I'm back to stock settings, 1.5 turns out on the pilot screw, and the bike runs excellent. Man, that little washer made such a huge difference.. I never had such a good throttle response on this bike since I have her (about 2 months I guess).

Anyway.. the bike now developed another issue. As I said, the bike runs excellent, at least compared to how it was running before... WHEN it runs. For 2 times in a row now, when I start the cold bike it just runs for a minute then abruptly stalls. Let me explain...cold engine. Choke on. Start the bike with no issue... it idles for a minute then stalls abruptly/without any warning (the engine speed doesn't decrease before stalling). After that, the bike is VERY difficult to start again... almost drained my battery. Finally, I manage to start it only after leaving it for one minute or so (ignition off). Then it starts easily and works as expected (this time, little to no choke required).

If I try to re-start the bike immediately after it stalled, I have little to no success, and I'm totally unable to rev it from the throttle.. it dies immediately. It seems to me it only wants to start again after sitting untouched for a minute or so.

Any ideas are more than welcome...
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #67954
Richguzzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
CV carb needles

Question: Does anyone make or is there a part number for an adjustable needle for the stock carb? One that has the, pre EPA, standard five or so positions instead of one that you need to shim to adjust? No I don't want to change carbs as I just did the 600 mile service. I've been through the forum and didn't see anything. I can get, and have, various needles for the Dellortos on my Eye-talian bikes so there must be Mikuni needles available. Or do I have to buy a spare and chuck it in a lathe?
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #67955
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathu View Post
Hi everyone,

Anyway.. the bike now developed another issue. As I said, the bike runs excellent, at least compared to how it was running before... WHEN it runs. For 2 times in a row now, when I start the cold bike it just runs for a minute then abruptly stalls. Let me explain...cold engine. Choke on. Start the bike with no issue... it idles for a minute then stalls abruptly/without any warning (the engine speed doesn't decrease before stalling). After that, the bike is VERY difficult to start again... almost drained my battery. Finally, I manage to start it only after leaving it for one minute or so (ignition off). Then it starts easily and works as expected (this time, little to no choke required).

If I try to re-start the bike immediately after it stalled, I have little to no success, and I'm totally unable to rev it from the throttle.. it dies immediately. It seems to me it only wants to start again after sitting untouched for a minute or so.

It doesn't sound to serious to me. Sometimes getting the idle dialed in can get a little tricky\frustrating. Sounds to me like it is stalling from being a little too rich still at idle (leaving the engine a little flooded which is why it is hard to start afterwards).

Might try taking it off choke a little sooner or reducing the choke a little as it warms up.
Also may want to try turning the pilot screw in a little more (1.25 turns) and turning the idle up a tad at the idle speed screw.

A little tweaking of the adjustments will fix it. Be patient.
Good luck!

Rumlover screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 10:45 AM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #67956
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
This was mentioned above but make sure it has fuel. There is a little filter in the carb fill neck-toss that and put in an inline filter.

Sounds like fuel clogging to start.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember my carburetor issues we discussed on this thread about one week ago. Now, some of the new parts I ordered arrived. To cut it short, I replaced the modified white nylon washer/spacer thing that holds the jet needle, with a new and unmodified one. Now I'm back to stock settings, 1.5 turns out on the pilot screw, and the bike runs excellent. Man, that little washer made such a huge difference.. I never had such a good throttle response on this bike since I have her (about 2 months I guess).

Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #67957
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richguzzi View Post
Question: Does anyone make or is there a part number for an adjustable needle for the stock carb? One that has the, pre EPA, standard five or so positions instead of one that you need to shim to adjust? No I don't want to change carbs as I just did the 600 mile service. I've been through the forum and didn't see anything. I can get, and have, various needles for the Dellortos on my Eye-talian bikes so there must be Mikuni needles available. Or do I have to buy a spare and chuck it in a lathe?
The adjustable needle that KTM uses in their BST40 carb is a direct fit. A little googling will get you the part number, or stay tuned -- I am sure someone here has it handy.

Rumlover screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 10:47 AM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #67958
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
The needle that KTM uses in their BST40 carb is a direct fit. A little googling will get you the part number, or stay tuned -- I am sure someone here has it handy.
I don't have the part number but I have a 2002 KTM 640 needle in my stock carb using the nylon spacer under the clip it is set to the third position. Cost me $10 a couple years ago at the KTM dealer.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #67959
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Several adjustable needles are available for the stock BST40 carb. Procycle and Dynojet sell adjustable needles for a cut airbox. I don't know what brand of needle Procycle sells in their carb kits. They might vary, based on availability. You'd have to ask Jeff.

If you'd like to leave your airbox intact, Factory Pro or KTM needles offer adjustability with a stock-similar taper, for use with an unmodified airbox. Just remove the snorkel, which is replaceable. The KTM needles are available through www.Sudco.com, while Procycle and other vendors sell the Factory Pro needle.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #67960
Richguzzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Several adjustable needles are available for the stock BST40 carb. Procycle and Dynojet sell adjustable needles for a cut airbox. I don't know what brand of needle Procycle sells in their carb kits. They might vary, based on availability. You'd have to ask Jeff.

If you'd like to leave your airbox intact, Factory Pro or KTM needles offer adjustability with a stock-similar taper, for use with an unmodified airbox. Just remove the snorkel, which is replaceable. The KTM needles are available through www.Sudco.com, while Procycle and other vendors sell the Factory Pro needle.

Thanks! Yea I'm not messing with airbox mods just yet. I was just looking for an easy replacement with a couple of easily adjustable notches ...
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #67961
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Hi everyone,

As I said, the bike runs excellent, at least compared to how it was running before... WHEN it runs. For 2 times in a row now, when I start the cold bike it just runs for a minute then abruptly stalls. Let me explain...cold engine. Choke on. Start the bike with no issue... it idles for a minute then stalls abruptly/without any warning (the engine speed doesn't decrease before stalling). After that, the bike is VERY difficult to start again... almost drained my battery. Finally, I manage to start it only after leaving it for one minute or so (ignition off). Then it starts easily and works as expected (this time, little to no choke required).

Is the vacuum operated petcock operating correctly? Check the vacuum line to the petcock.

Or start it with the petcock in prime position and see if it runs.

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #67962
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
[QUOTE=BadDogMax;19287345]I just got back from Mammoth doing just that. Awesome time!

Great video!

It looks like I rode on some of the very same roads - thru the tunnel under 395 for sure.

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #67963
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Thanks! Yea I'm not messing with airbox mods just yet. I was just looking for an easy replacement with a couple of easily adjustable notches ...
Just get an NZ, Oz or even maybe Canadian needle.
The part number is in the manual.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #67964
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 515
There's a 32 page study over on TT about the DR650 needles.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/396...le-comparison/

I just skimmed through the first 17 pages to find this for you!

"It's a 6G5 from a 98 KTM LC4. KTM P/N 584310346G5"

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #67965
freestate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Hiya, just hooked up two bags I bought as panniers on the DR.

As you can see I have them rather forward and didn't bother with any brackets to hold it off the exhaust, instead relying on the plastic side cover to save the right bag from catching fire.
What do you guys think, safe or stupid?

freestate screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 03:31 PM
freestate is offline   Reply With Quote