ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #67996
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
I can see through the heat exchanger so it is not plugged up.

I have a trailtech Vapor with the temperature pickup on the oil line banjo bolt that goes into the head (as opposed to the sparkplug like they recommend - must specify when ordering to get the correct size).

I cannot speak with any authority as to the temp limits. But if water cooled engines tend to get pissy at 240, it stands to some reason that an engine shouldn't run too much hotter than that. At some point the viscosity of the oil will start to break down. I had the oil temps up to 310 on a ride up Donner. That was before I changed my gearing (lots of clutch slipping) and I did an oil change right away after.

found lots of interesting info compiled on oil here:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
I remember that article from some time ago...thinking 2005 or so. That article convinced me to switch over to Rotella T. Speaking of Rotella today, it costs about $21 from Walmart if you can find it. In fact, I sort have been going round and roun with Walmart here in Parker on just that issue. Anyway, the article says that Rotella can be found for $7 so it's a bit on the old side yet in the interwebz the article is cited (and I agree) as an authority on oil. And more than likely, the main reason that so many motorcyclists switch over to it.

To you point, I would say that if you get up to 360 and be ok. Watercooled engines in my opinion start to fail because car coolant (what most of us run) with low pressure systems (typical motorcycle) can't handle higher temps. That's why I like oil over water cooled for overall bulletproofness (my word).

Still, I think you concern is warrented and a fan is a good idea. The DR was never really designed for sustained hard travel (climbing rocks..etc). I say go for it and post up your results.

I would like to monitor oil temp as well, is the vapor the easiest option?
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #67997
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart
 
TinkerinWstuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Northern Front Range
Oddometer: 1,295
Vapor is easiest that I'm aware of.
__________________
1999 Suzuki DR650
1998 Honda VFR800 Interceptor
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...KJutW9osVpn3hd
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #67998
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,579
I found an analog on Ebay out of the UK. Very, um, Harley looking.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #67999
wncstrada
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 96
Pingel Petcock Install Questions

I bought my 2006 DR back in May with 3500 miles on the clock. The bike has the stock steel gastank. When I bought the bike, the stock Suzuki petcock was leaking. If you turned the petcock to the run position the petcock would leak. It would not leak in the prime position. The PO had fixed this problem by installing a second plastic petcock downstream of the original and leaving the lever on prime.
When I started working on the bike, I wanted to get back to 1 petcock. so I ordered and installed a Pingel petcock on the steel tank. All was well for a while but recently the Pingel bagan to leak. By leak I mean that gas is running down the outside surface of the petcock and leaving a few drops on the garage floor. Over the weekend I pulled off the petcock, retaped the threads (4 turns of teflon tape) and reinstalled it. I was surprised to find very little of the original teflon tape on the threads. By this afternoon my petrol puddle had reappeared on the garage floor. I must be doing something wrong somewhere in the process. I'd appreciate any suggertions. Thanks!

wncstrada screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 05:52 PM
wncstrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #68000
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart
 
TinkerinWstuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Northern Front Range
Oddometer: 1,295
vapor has user configurable idiot lights. yellow for warning and red for danger. I set them where I wanted and didn't have to watch the LCD readout. Plus the other data like mileage and clock.
__________________
1999 Suzuki DR650
1998 Honda VFR800 Interceptor
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...KJutW9osVpn3hd
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #68001
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed
 
ChromeSux's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Lenoir City TN.
Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncstrada View Post
I bought my 2006 DR back in May with 3500 miles on the clock. The bike has the stock steel gastank. When I bought the bike, the stock Suzuki petcock was leaking. If you turned the petcock to the run position the petcock would leak. It would not leak in the prime position. The PO had fixed this problem by installing a second plastic petcock downstream of the original and leaving the lever on prime.
When I started working on the bike, I wanted to get back to 1 petcock. so I ordered and installed a Pingel petcock on the steel tank. All was well for a while but recently the Pingel bagan to leak. By leak I mean that gas is running down the outside surface of the petcock and leaving a few drops on the garage floor. Over the weekend I pulled off the petcock, retaped the threads (4 turns of teflon tape) and reinstalled it. I was surprised to find very little of the original teflon tape on the threads. By this afternoon my petrol puddle had reappeared on the garage floor. I must be doing something wrong somewhere in the process. I'd appreciate any suggertions. Thanks!
The Pingle has a rubber gasket with screws you should not need teflon tape, it does not do to good around fuel, did you tighten the screws down good., also check the sealing surface, make sure the fuel leaking has not eat away at the paint, making the sealing surface uneven, i have seen that before.
ChromeSux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #68002
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]
 
nat_han's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Singapore!
Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux View Post
nat_han
6 1/2 inches from the top of the fork tube, you must slide the upper tube all the way down into the lower, what i did was get the fluid level real close then put the Intiminators in and measure again.
You will need to make sure you have all the air out before putting the Intiminators in, gently slide the upper up and down a few times to burp any air out, measure and then put the Intiminators in, measure again, if you have to add fluid with them in you will need to be patient and let the fluid settle in.

Also you need to cut those spacers down about 1/2 inch, the Intiminators are just a tad bit over 1/2 inch thick, i used a PVC fitting from the hardware store and cut some off, i found a fitting that was the same outer dia. as the stock spacer, using the stock spacers you are adding 1/2 inch of preload.
Thanks for the reply..

I'll have to go figure that out by myself then. =)
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #68003
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
vapor has user configurable idiot lights. yellow for warning and red for danger. I set them where I wanted and didn't have to watch the LCD readout. Plus the other data like mileage and clock.
Well, to beat a dead horse, I kind of wonder about the actual pickup point. Here are my twenty questions: Is it on the hot side or the cool side of the oil? Is it possible the connection point is acting as a heat sink and therefore hotter than the oil?

I would be interested to see an actual dip gauge type next to the vapor. This whole issue has sort of crossed my mind and a buddy told me "don't put an oil gauge on those things...it will drive you crazy as they get really, really hot.

Here is what I found.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #68004
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux View Post
The Pingle has a rubber gasket with screws you should not need teflon tape, it does not do to good around fuel, did you tighten the screws down good., also check the sealing surface, make sure the fuel leaking has not eat away at the paint, making the sealing surface uneven, i have seen that before.
The Pingle has a threaded body which screws into the base which bolts to the tank bottom. I assume that's where the OP is seeing the Teflon disappearing from.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #68005
wncstrada
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The Pingle has a threaded body which screws into the base which bolts to the tank bottom. I assume that's where the OP is seeing the Teflon disappearing from.
Yes. Installation instructions with the Pingle say to wrap teflon tape around the threaded body before screwing the body to the base. They say to not use pipe dope.
wncstrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #68006
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncstrada View Post
Yes. Installation instructions with the Pingle say to wrap teflon tape around the threaded body before screwing the body to the base. They say to not use pipe dope.
Maybe you just didn't tighten it down enough? The Pingles on both our bikes haven't ever leaked a bit, but I really screwed them down tight into the bases.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #68007
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
Are you measuring oil or head temp? Most if the sources I checked seem to say that oil breakdown begins around 260F. I would prefer to compare to some scientific data as opposed to "mine runs fine (so far)"
Trailtech Vapor, oil banjo at top rear of head, the same position as on the DR.

I've sent off an enquiry to the local oil importer asking some questions.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:07 AM   #68008
buckrut1972
H.R. Nightmare
 
buckrut1972's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: New Kent, Va
Oddometer: 112
Clutch question

As I'm a late bloomer (better late than never) getting into riding I picked up a 09 DR from a buddy with 5k miles on it. When I'm on a ride it shifts great and when slow down I'm not always running throught the gears to slow down. I have a tendency to ride the clutch down to a stop then shift all the way down to 1st. I've got over 1k mile since I got it and I have noticed when I ride it back into the garage it has a tendency to not want to shift into any gear and far more touchy trying to get into neutral. Is this all me and just need to learn a softer touch? If you think I don't have much experience riding I have far less when it comes to the mechanics but I do have great friends........

__________________
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" Mark Twain
buckrut1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:09 AM   #68009
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrut1972 View Post
Is this all me and just need to learn a softer touch?
You need to learn to downshift when it's appropriate rather than just wait until you're stopped. It's a skill which could save your life someday.

You always should have the right gear available, in case that light you're stopping for changes, or the car following you decides not to stop.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 05:23 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #68010
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 9,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrut1972 View Post
not want to shift into any gear and far more touchy trying to get into neutral. Is this all me and just need to learn a softer touch? If you think I don't have much experience riding I have far less when it comes to the mechanics but I do have great friends........

Need to adjust you clutch cable. I have never had a bike that found neutral easier than the DR650. Your cable has probably broken in a bit and stretched a tiny bit. If the dealer set it up very loose to start with, it needs tweaking now. Keep us posted.
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015