Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #68341
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
what's the recommended mods to get higher top speed and more acceleration at higher speeds? My commute has me on highway around cars running 75-80, and my bike tops out around 90 indicated so really about 82. So at the moment I only have two controls at my commute speed which are brakes and steering. It would be nice to have some throttle too
My vote would be for the high compression piston and cams along with higher gearing.

My opinion without digging up dyno charts, big bore for more low end torque. More compression for more high end HP (I.e highway cruising). No doubt if I'm wrong, someone will be along to point it out. The dyno charts are available.

Piston swap certainly has to be easier and more affordable by my last look.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #68342
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Said they'd cut apart flowmasters
Anyone who is cutting apart Flowmaster mufflers to see the design and trying to make a quiet muffler is WAY behind the learning curve.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #68343
Richguzzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Anyone who is cutting apart Flowmaster mufflers to see the design and trying to make a quiet muffler is WAY behind the learning curve.
That's the straight dope....

Slow old grey haired guys with arthritis and other ailments rule!
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #68344
mcperformance
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Thumb DR 650 stock muffler

The standard muffler can be modified easily, & give a noticable increase in power while at the same time keep it Quiet.
Have done many over her in OZ & Dyno to prove it.
Chappy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richguzzi View Post
That's the straight dope....
Old 08-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #68345
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
Quote:
what's the recommended mods to get higher top speed and more acceleration at higher speeds? My commute has me on highway around cars running 75-80, and my bike tops out around 90 indicated so really about 82. So at the moment I only have two controls at my commute speed which are brakes and steering. It would be nice to have some throttle too
Mine ran out a little over 80 gps at 6000 ft. Ok by me. A 16t countershaft sprocket makes a big improvement in rider comfort at higher speeds. A little too much clutch slipping in stop and go traffic.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #68346
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Traded away my very nice Triumph 675 toward a nearly brand new KTM990 Dakar. ...
Enjoy Jeff! I used to own a 950SM. Wicked power and excellent suspension. I sold it after I moved to the asphalt flatland of central Ohio. You live in a place where you should be able to use the capabilities of that monster.

IMO you've earned it for the service you've provided to the DR community.

OTOH I can't help but think we're all part owners ...

FB
Old 08-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #68347
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,944
Quote:
You already did the carb, airbox, and filter.

I know that my jetted DR had noticeably more pep with a muffler that flowed well. It was just too loud for me, and probably needed to be repacked every other week. I'd try a GSX-R/'Busa muff. Grind your header weld or get a hi-flow header. Then tune the carb for the new exhaust.

My DR also seems to work harder at speed now, with 16/46 sprockets, which is essentially just 1 tooth up in back from the stock 15/42 ratio. So...Another way to pick up top-end could be to experiment with gearing. You could try going down 1-3 teeth in back, and/or going up 1 in front. You could also try road-biased tires, if you're currently running knobbies.

Those were the simple/easy/cheap ways to possibly pick up top-end. You could also spend some coin/effort and do a hi-comp piston, an aggressive cam, big-valve head, cleaned-up head, or even a big-bore. Make sure your clutch is in good shape, and look into the replacement 3rd-gear that Nova is coming out with.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #68348
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
You already did the carb, airbox, and filter.

I know that my jetted DR had noticeably more pep with a muffler that flowed well. It was just too loud for me, and probably needed to be repacked every other week. I'd try a GSX-R/'Busa muff. Grind your header weld or get a hi-flow header. Then tune the carb for the new exhaust.

My DR also seems to work harder at speed now, with 16/46 sprockets, which is essentially just 1 tooth up in back from the stock 15/42 ratio. So...Another way to pick up top-end could be to experiment with gearing. You could try going down 1-3 teeth in back, and/or going up 1 in front. You could also try road-biased tires, if you're currently running knobbies.

Those were the simple/easy/cheap ways to possibly pick up top-end. You could also spend some coin/effort and do a hi-comp piston, an aggressive cam, big-valve head, cleaned-up head, or even a big-bore. Make sure your clutch is in good shape, and look into the replacement 3rd-gear that Nova is coming out with.
Correct, carb airbox filter are done.. I have shinko 705s on at the moment. I will try adding a front tooth

Anyway the results of my speedtest are in.

Wide open on flat ground with normal riding posture I top out at 82mph per my GPS. If i put my head so far down that it's behind the little plastic fairing I can get 92mph out of it!

So I may just do that........ Need to get the **** out of the way? I'll just duck!
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #68349
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Some think is not working right for u. I can hit 100 mph easily - actual gps. Stock gearing jet kit FMF muff. 06 with close 40,000 miles.

Sent from my MB520 using Tapatalk 2

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #68350
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Thumb Quiet DR exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
If you want to upgrade your exhaust don't wait on this project. In truth I've been working on this for nearly 4 years. Talking to several different manufacturers, hacking together prototypes, etc. Companies that make and sell race pipes have trouble wrapping their minds around the idea of a quiet maintenance free pipe.

Anyhow, I recently got the attention of a very large exhaust company that is actively looking for new products and new markets and they have excess manufacturing capacity that is sitting idle. I'm hopeful this time will pay off. In any case there is a long development road ahead.

I have time to wait. In all honesty, I would not consider an aftermarket exhaust unless I heard from someone trustworthy (you qualify) that it was not just another piece of noisy junk. I am not all that unhappy with the stock system, if weight were really an issue, I would try dieting myself as I could stand to lose more than the DR needs to. But.... if there happened to be a pleasant sounding, relatively quiet exhaust for the DR, I might need to own one. Keep after it, it could really happen and thanks for trying!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #68351
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I have time to wait. In all honesty, I would not consider an aftermarket exhaust unless I heard from someone trustworthy (you qualify) that it was not just another piece of noisy junk. I am not all that unhappy with the stock system, if weight were really an issue, I would try dieting myself as I could stand to lose more than the DR needs to. But.... if there happened to be a pleasant sounding, relatively quiet exhaust for the DR, I might need to own one. Keep after it, it could really happen and thanks for trying!
Bruce
I value peace and quiet. I have the GSXR pipe on my DR. I bought the bike that way. The 8 or 9 pounds of weight loss is pretty substantial. It would be awesome to have a sub 85 decibel muffler - at 3/4 rpm! How quiet is the stock muffler at throttle anyhow?

Even more awesome would be a helmet that doesn't kill me with wind noise.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #68352
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post

Do you use earplugs? Essential
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #68353
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
I value peace and quiet. I have the GSXR pipe on my DR. I bought the bike that way. The 8 or 9 pounds of weight loss is pretty substantial. It would be awesome to have a sub 85 decibel muffler - at 3/4 rpm! How quiet is the stock muffler at throttle anyhow?

I was measured for the Moose Run Rally in Walden CO two weeks ago. 3500rpm and 83db on the stock muffler.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #68354
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Correct, carb airbox filter are done.. I have shinko 705s on at the moment. I will try adding a front tooth

Anyway the results of my speedtest are in.

Wide open on flat ground with normal riding posture I top out at 82mph per my GPS. If i put my head so far down that it's behind the little plastic fairing I can get 92mph out of it!

So I may just do that........ Need to get the **** out of the way? I'll just duck!
I don't think a taller gear ratio will help you go faster, and it will probably hurt your roll-on response (passing power). I run a 14/43 and my roll-on in fith was greatly improved over stock gearing. The busy engine can get a little annoying on the interstate, but it will fly right on by an indicated (stock speedo) 95mph and still be pulling -- sorry haven't really had a need, or the guts on this bike, to try top end.
I doubt I could hit the rev limiter in 5th even with my gearing though.

Edit: It would be close though. According to the gearing commander site, I would be doing a true 98.9mph at 7200rpm with 14/43 gearing.

Rumlover screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 12:24 PM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #68355
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
I was measured for the Moose Run Rally in Walden CO two weeks ago. 3500rpm and 83db on the stock muffler.
The DOT specification for street legal factory exhaust is 80db. The DOT uses a different testing (and more complicated) method than is typically used for off-road sound checks.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote