Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #68341
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
what's the recommended mods to get higher top speed and more acceleration at higher speeds? My commute has me on highway around cars running 75-80, and my bike tops out around 90 indicated so really about 82. So at the moment I only have two controls at my commute speed which are brakes and steering. It would be nice to have some throttle too
790cc Big Bore?

But, something is probably wrong to be topping out mid-80s. Mine squeaked up to exactly 100 according to the vapor - which is reasonably accurate.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #68342
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
For Quads check out the HMF "Swamp Series" mufflers. I have one grafted on to my DR at present. We've tested it at around 89dB.
That's nice and quiet. It appears to be a compartmentalized muffler, no? Also might not have packing. How do you think yours flows?

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #68343
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
I often wondered about cutting open the stock muffler for some modifications.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #68344
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
but I'll admit I hate the blue/orange color combo.
Yeah, I think the color will grow on me. But until then It's a good reason to go out and get it dirty.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #68345
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
That's nice and quiet. It appears to be a compartmentalized muffler, no? Also might not have packing. How do you think yours flows?
Yes, you need compartments to get the sound level down. I looks like a smart design. One thing about it - it's big. Five inches diameter, same as the stock DR can. That makes big internal volume which helps with overall flow.

It has a tiny bit of packing that is really just a thin insulating blanket under the outer shell. HMF does not consider it a maintenance item.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #68346
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
790cc Big Bore?

But, something is probably wrong to be topping out mid-80s. Mine squeaked up to exactly 100 according to the vapor - which is reasonably accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Hmmm... what's your elevation and what's the carb jetting like? Stock exhaust? Might be worth doing a compression test.

I'm not all that familiar with the stock carb; my DR came with the FCR pumper and GSXR muffler, but I don't see that making much of a power difference. But even at 4500' in Reno (where I used to be), it had zero problem doing 85-90. I rarely go over 85 on it, in fact I prefer to keep it at 75-80. And I have luggage too, which doesn't help it aerodynamically. I'm 5'8 and weigh about 170.
I'm only at 650' Jetting is whatever the recommended kit is from procycle, I think 145main, not the DJ one. I do have the stock exhaust. I'm 6'1 and weigh ~200, would that make a difference at higher speeds?

I'll go out and GPS it today to see what it gets for certain.
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #68347
freestate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Been trying out different front fenders to reduce wobble at higher speeds. Finally found one I can really recommend.

[IMG]www.karlstrommotor.se/images/2.128534/framskarm-husaberg-03-11-bla.png[/IMG]

The bike is now really stable at full speed, 160 km/h or so. Believe it's the same one as KTM's Six Days fender available in white and orange.
freestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #68348
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,952
Quote:
Yes, you need compartments to get the sound level down. I looks like a smart design. One thing about it - it's big. Five inches diameter, same as the stock DR can. That makes big internal volume which helps with overall flow.

It has a tiny bit of packing that is really just a thin insulating blanket under the outer shell. HMF does not consider it a maintenance item.
I talked to a guy at one of the aftermarket exhaust places in Oregon a few years back. He was fully aware of the need for a high flowing quiet thumper can, with noise restrictions at Oregon Dunes. Said they'd cut apart flowmasters etc trying to figure how to adapt chambered designs to work in our systems. The guy who can make a high flow quiet thumper can will be rich, just on the duner guys who are out there by the thousands every weekend.

If I had some good metalworking tools I'd like to cut my stocker apart for experimentation, since it's been relegated to the attic by my Gixxer can

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #68349
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
what's the recommended mods to get higher top speed and more acceleration at higher speeds? My commute has me on highway around cars running 75-80, and my bike tops out around 90 indicated so really about 82. So at the moment I only have two controls at my commute speed which are brakes and steering. It would be nice to have some throttle too
My vote would be for the high compression piston and cams along with higher gearing.

My opinion without digging up dyno charts, big bore for more low end torque. More compression for more high end HP (I.e highway cruising). No doubt if I'm wrong, someone will be along to point it out. The dyno charts are available.

Piston swap certainly has to be easier and more affordable by my last look.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #68350
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Said they'd cut apart flowmasters
Anyone who is cutting apart Flowmaster mufflers to see the design and trying to make a quiet muffler is WAY behind the learning curve.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #68351
Richguzzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Anyone who is cutting apart Flowmaster mufflers to see the design and trying to make a quiet muffler is WAY behind the learning curve.
That's the straight dope....

Slow old grey haired guys with arthritis and other ailments rule!
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #68352
mcperformance
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Thumb DR 650 stock muffler

The standard muffler can be modified easily, & give a noticable increase in power while at the same time keep it Quiet.
Have done many over her in OZ & Dyno to prove it.
Chappy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richguzzi View Post
That's the straight dope....
Old 08-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #68353
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,713
Quote:
Mine ran out a little over 80 gps at 6000 ft. Ok by me. A 16t countershaft sprocket makes a big improvement in rider comfort at higher speeds. A little too much clutch slipping in stop and go traffic.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #68354
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,739
Quote:
Traded away my very nice Triumph 675 toward a nearly brand new KTM990 Dakar. ...
Enjoy Jeff! I used to own a 950SM. Wicked power and excellent suspension. I sold it after I moved to the asphalt flatland of central Ohio. You live in a place where you should be able to use the capabilities of that monster.

IMO you've earned it for the service you've provided to the DR community.

OTOH I can't help but think we're all part owners ...

FB
Old 08-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #68355
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
You already did the carb, airbox, and filter.

I know that my jetted DR had noticeably more pep with a muffler that flowed well. It was just too loud for me, and probably needed to be repacked every other week. I'd try a GSX-R/'Busa muff. Grind your header weld or get a hi-flow header. Then tune the carb for the new exhaust.

My DR also seems to work harder at speed now, with 16/46 sprockets, which is essentially just 1 tooth up in back from the stock 15/42 ratio. So...Another way to pick up top-end could be to experiment with gearing. You could try going down 1-3 teeth in back, and/or going up 1 in front. You could also try road-biased tires, if you're currently running knobbies.

Those were the simple/easy/cheap ways to possibly pick up top-end. You could also spend some coin/effort and do a hi-comp piston, an aggressive cam, big-valve head, cleaned-up head, or even a big-bore. Make sure your clutch is in good shape, and look into the replacement 3rd-gear that Nova is coming out with.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote