Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #68341
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Thumb Quiet DR exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
If you want to upgrade your exhaust don't wait on this project. In truth I've been working on this for nearly 4 years. Talking to several different manufacturers, hacking together prototypes, etc. Companies that make and sell race pipes have trouble wrapping their minds around the idea of a quiet maintenance free pipe.

Anyhow, I recently got the attention of a very large exhaust company that is actively looking for new products and new markets and they have excess manufacturing capacity that is sitting idle. I'm hopeful this time will pay off. In any case there is a long development road ahead.

I have time to wait. In all honesty, I would not consider an aftermarket exhaust unless I heard from someone trustworthy (you qualify) that it was not just another piece of noisy junk. I am not all that unhappy with the stock system, if weight were really an issue, I would try dieting myself as I could stand to lose more than the DR needs to. But.... if there happened to be a pleasant sounding, relatively quiet exhaust for the DR, I might need to own one. Keep after it, it could really happen and thanks for trying!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #68342
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I have time to wait. In all honesty, I would not consider an aftermarket exhaust unless I heard from someone trustworthy (you qualify) that it was not just another piece of noisy junk. I am not all that unhappy with the stock system, if weight were really an issue, I would try dieting myself as I could stand to lose more than the DR needs to. But.... if there happened to be a pleasant sounding, relatively quiet exhaust for the DR, I might need to own one. Keep after it, it could really happen and thanks for trying!
Bruce
I value peace and quiet. I have the GSXR pipe on my DR. I bought the bike that way. The 8 or 9 pounds of weight loss is pretty substantial. It would be awesome to have a sub 85 decibel muffler - at 3/4 rpm! How quiet is the stock muffler at throttle anyhow?

Even more awesome would be a helmet that doesn't kill me with wind noise.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #68343
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post

Do you use earplugs? Essential
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #68344
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
I value peace and quiet. I have the GSXR pipe on my DR. I bought the bike that way. The 8 or 9 pounds of weight loss is pretty substantial. It would be awesome to have a sub 85 decibel muffler - at 3/4 rpm! How quiet is the stock muffler at throttle anyhow?

I was measured for the Moose Run Rally in Walden CO two weeks ago. 3500rpm and 83db on the stock muffler.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #68345
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
Correct, carb airbox filter are done.. I have shinko 705s on at the moment. I will try adding a front tooth

Anyway the results of my speedtest are in.

Wide open on flat ground with normal riding posture I top out at 82mph per my GPS. If i put my head so far down that it's behind the little plastic fairing I can get 92mph out of it!

So I may just do that........ Need to get the **** out of the way? I'll just duck!
I don't think a taller gear ratio will help you go faster, and it will probably hurt your roll-on response (passing power). I run a 14/43 and my roll-on in fith was greatly improved over stock gearing. The busy engine can get a little annoying on the interstate, but it will fly right on by an indicated (stock speedo) 95mph and still be pulling -- sorry haven't really had a need, or the guts on this bike, to try top end.
I doubt I could hit the rev limiter in 5th even with my gearing though.

Edit: It would be close though. According to the gearing commander site, I would be doing a true 98.9mph at 7200rpm with 14/43 gearing.

Rumlover screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 01:24 PM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #68346
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
I was measured for the Moose Run Rally in Walden CO two weeks ago. 3500rpm and 83db on the stock muffler.
The DOT specification for street legal factory exhaust is 80db. The DOT uses a different testing (and more complicated) method than is typically used for off-road sound checks.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #68347
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Quote:
The DOT specification for street legal factory exhaust is 80db. The DOT uses a different testing (and more complicated) method than is typically used for off-road sound checks.
I'm sure you know more about it than I. All I know is they had a booklet with specs for each bike. A vibration tach that was held to the tank or some other metal area on the bike. Then the sound meter at some distance behind. Whatever booklet it was they had said my '99 DR was to be tested at something like 3400 or 3500 RPM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #68348
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I'll admit I hate the blue/orange color combo.
Separated at birth? Papa Smurf and the 990 Dakar

Obligatory DR content - Upper RH corner of photo. The shop 'loaner' DR getting new Kendas. A Big Block in the rear and a Track Master in the front.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #68349
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
I'm sure you know more about it than I. All I know is they had a booklet with specs for each bike. A vibration tach that was held to the tank or some other metal area on the bike. Then the sound meter at some distance behind. Whatever booklet it was they had said my '99 DR was to be tested at something like 3400 or 3500 RPM.
Yep. Just pointing out for those that don't know - different tests and different conditions will give different dB results. Which means you have to take any manufacturer's noise level claims with a grain of salt.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #68350
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
I don't think a taller gear ratio will help you go faster, and it will probably hurt your roll-on response (passing power). I run a 14/43 and my roll-on in fith was greatly improved over stock gearing. The busy engine can get a little annoying on the interstate, but it will fly right on by an indicated 95mph (and still be pulling) -- sorry haven't really had a need, or the guts on this bike, to try top end.
I doubt I could hit the rev limiter in 5th even with my gearing though.

Edit: It would be close though. According to the gearing commander site, I would be doing a true 98.9mph at 7200rpm with 14/43 gearing.
Ok so you're saying I actually need shorter gearing and that will give me to the top end quicker? (and in my case I will actually have more top end)
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #68351
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
Ok so you're saying I actually need shorter gearing and that will give me to the top end quicker? (and in my case I will actually have more top end)
I hesitated to even post, because keep in mind there is an awful lot of generalizing involved here.
For starters I don't even know if your carb is tuned properly and optimized for wot. If it isn't then a few more mph may still be available as is (gear wise).

However a lower gear ratio will usually improve acceleration.

And, generally speaking, if you are already maxed out on available hp to get to your top speed and aren't close to the redline/rev limiter, then it is unlikely (with the DR) that a taller gear will get you any more speed. Your engine speed will be reduced (at a given road speed), but it will still require more hp then you currently have to overcome the drag. That is where a gearing advantage (lower gearing) can sometimes help.

Sometimes (not always) if top gear is to tall to begin with then a lower ratio will actually allow the engine to rev a little more into its powerband and pick up a few extra mph (at the price of increased engine speed of course).

I like the 14/43 because it suits my riding and gets well into the powerband (upper rpm) at wot in 5th. I also ride mostly between 4,000' to 5,000' and up, so a gearing advantage is important to me -- to help make up for lost hp.
Some hate the faster spinning engine and are willing to compromise for a little less buzzy engine and run taller gearing. If I was commuting all the time I would probably run stock or 14/42.

The DR is one big compromise.

Rumlover screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 01:19 PM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #68352
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Yep. Just pointing out for those that don't know - different tests and different conditions will give different dB results. Which means you have to take any manufacturer's noise level claims with a grain of salt.
The DOT spec is 80db? Do you know if that is at some specific rpm or if it is at idle?

If we take everything with a grain of salt, how can we compare besides actually buying and trying everything?

What is your experience on noise level between the GSXR exhaust and the stock exhaust? Is the difference significant?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #68353
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Quote:
However generally a lower gear ratio will improve acceleration. And if you are already maxed out on available hp to get to your top speed and aren't close to the redline/rev limiter, then it is unlikely (with the DR) that a taller gear will get you any more speed. Your engine speed will be reduced (at a given road speed), but it will still require more hp then you currently have to overcome the drag. That is where a gearing advantage (lower gearing) can help.

Sometimes if top gear is to tall to begin with then a lower ratio will actually allow the engine to rev a little more into its powerband and pick up a few extra mph (at the price of increased engine speed of course).
I agree with all this. Is why my suggestion for a higher ratio was accompanied by the suggestion of the high compression piston and performance cam.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #68354
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Do you use earplugs? Essential
I wear earbuds most of the time. I thought these worked well.

But, yesterday my music ended while on the highway, and I realized how much wind noise was getting through.

I also have some ER6i eartips mounted on a koss earphone. These won't stay put very well, and they are uncomfortable in over 30 minutes, so I generally wasn't using them. I guess it's time to make them work.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #68355
Garak
Still wearing pants.

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Some hate the faster spinning engine and are willing to compromise for a little less buzzy engine and run taller gearing. If I was commuting all the time I would probably run stock or 14/42.
+1 I found 14-42 to be just about right for commuting. It spins a little faster on the highway, but that's way better for your drivetrain than lugging it. I wouldn't want to cruise at 90+ mph on a machine like this so the slightly reduced top speed is purely academic for me.

In Shaddix' case however, if the machine won't exceed ~80mph, that is diagnostically relevant. My best suggestion would be to try one size larger main jet and see what happens. If that alleviates the issue, adjust the needle so the bike is as happy as possible with that jet, and... well problem solved I guess. If that makes it worse, then go the other way.

My LinkedIn Profile

Garak screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 12:17 PM Reason: Hit submit too soon with my clumsy fingers on this tiny touch screen.
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote