ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #68551
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
The strange thing is that when I take the air filter off, or even just remove the airbox cover, it runs just fine. Well, it idles a bit rough with the side cover off, but when I just take off the filter, it sounds perfect. Obviously, I can't run it without a filter, but it does seem to isolate the problem. I am going to take a crack at that carb, though. I need to do it eventually, and I'm already in the mood.
Oh wow, interesting! I should have asked you that. :)

Then this tells me the carb is probably fine (but if you're in the mood, go for it)... I would do what dragnbiker did -- soak the filter in a bucket of warm water with Simple Green in it. Clean it again. In fact, once it's clean and totally dry, put it back on the bike before oiling it. Does it run? If so, then it was overoiled. If not, then maybe it is the carb... or like Rusty Rocket said, that other little filter might be the cause. My bike doesn't have that filter with the FCR.

Part of this diagnostics is actually kinda fun. I went through it two weekends ago on my FZ1. Thing was running poorly at low RPM, then a problem developed at higher RPMs. It would "stutter" and just not run right. A guy on FZO1A said put in new spark plugs and trim the plug wires down 1/2" to ensure the caps are all making good contact. So I did. No change. Pulled the carbs again. Found one of the main jets had come loose and was rattling around in the bowl. Well, there was my WOT throttle problem. Pulled the pilot jets and "flossed" them, then reinstalled. The idle problem was much improved.

Then while sync'ing the carbs with the manometer, I noticed cyl#3 popping/cutting out. Hmmm. Pulled the carbs again, reverified everything, reinstalled. Still doing it. And posting the results at each step. Apparently there were a bunch of guys not doing anything this particular Sunday since I was getting help every few minutes.

So somebody suggested swapping the coils around -- the FZ1 has two coils, each one running two cylinders. One ran 1,4 and one ran 2,3. Rather than do that, I swapped the #3 plug cap with #4, which should accomplish the same thing since it was on the other coil. Sure enough, cyl #4 was now the one not running right. I verified it with my infra-red temp gauge... 1,2,3 were 500 deg on the header, and 4 was 125. Nope, not firing.

So I popped on eBay and ordered a set of coils/plug wires (you can't get just wires) from a used bike parts place for $35 shipped. They showed up two days later and took ten minutes to install. BINGO! The bike runs great! Smooth idle, smooth running, craploads of power (125 hp at the wheel). Finally, two months after buying the bike in crap-running condition, it's finally right. I had the carbs out at least eight times, and even soaked 'em. Replaced all the O-rings, etc, etc. Whoodathunk it'd be a bad plug wire!

Despite the issues, I'd still rather deal with this than fuel injection.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #68552
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Sounds like a fun little project for this weekend. I remember seeing the Pinesol thread on here somewhere, so I'll research that a bit too. I've never done a single stinking thing to a carb before, so I'll be reading the service manual religiously this afternoon.

.................................
Here's all you'll ever need to know about the DR650 carb. The first few pages are for the KTM BST-40 carb, some parts are different than ours, so don't freak out when yours isn't identical to the pics.

The BST-40 bible:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=bst40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Also, clean that filter under your seat that cleans the air to the carb diaphragm. I use a piece of foam that I cut from a Briggs & Stratton airfilter element that you can get at most hardware stores. oil it like you would your air filter.
More information:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=82


__________________
2004 DR650: 61,105 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #68553
neo1piv014
ADV in training
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 619
You guys are the bomb. Thanks! What is this Simple Green stuff I keep hearing about, by the way?

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express
__________________
_________________________
Ride videos
'01 DR650
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #68554
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
You guys are the bomb. Thanks! What is this Simple Green stuff I keep hearing about, by the way?
Holy cow, you haven't heard of Simple Green???

Walmart... cleaning products aisle, or in the car cleaning products asile. It's darn green, in a spray bottle. It's only THE best all-around cleaner money can buy. Totally non-toxic, biodegradable, etc. There are even instructions on the bottle for using as laundry detergent if you want.

The way it comes it's full-strength. You can save a bunch of money by diluting it with water. I suggest buying one spray bottle and then one of the big refill bottles. Then each time you spray the bottle down about 1/3 of the way, fill it up again with water. After 3-4 times of this, let it run out. Then refill it 1/2 to 1/3 of the way with the refill, and the rest with water from the faucet.

It's great for getting bug crap off your car before you wash it (think of it as a prewash), removing stains from carpet, clothes, whatever.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #68555
neo1piv014
ADV in training
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Holy cow, you haven't heard of Simple Green???

Walmart... cleaning products aisle, or in the car cleaning products asile. It's darn green, in a spray bottle. It's only THE best all-around cleaner money can buy. Totally non-toxic, biodegradable, etc. There are even instructions on the bottle for using as laundry detergent if you want.

The way it comes it's full-strength. You can save a bunch of money by diluting it with water. I suggest buying one spray bottle and then one of the big refill bottles. Then each time you spray the bottle down about 1/3 of the way, fill it up again with water. After 3-4 times of this, let it run out. Then refill it 1/2 to 1/3 of the way with the refill, and the rest with water from the faucet.

It's great for getting bug crap off your car before you wash it (think of it as a prewash), removing stains from carpet, clothes, whatever.

Rob
So on a scale of 1 to the ungodly cleaning power of Tuf Stuff - let's call that 10 - Simple Green is pretty awesome? I'm going to have to give this a shot.
__________________
_________________________
Ride videos
'01 DR650
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #68556
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
So on a scale of 1 to the ungodly cleaning power of Tuf Stuff - let's call that 10 - Simple Green is pretty awesome? I'm going to have to give this a shot.
I've used it full strength to remove Sharpie markings on plastic.. as long as the sharpie markings aren't that old. If they've been around for ages, forget it.

Note... I've read that Simple Green has been known to cause pitting on aluminum if left on it for an extended time. It's fine for cleaning it, just don't spray and forget. I use it all the time to clean grease off my DR650, like all the grease crap that builds up around the front sprocket. Though FWIW, WD40 actually works better in that particular case. Then I re-oil the chain afterward. :)

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #68557
Richguzzi
Adventurer
 
Richguzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Note... I've read that Simple Green has been known to cause pitting on aluminum if left on it for an extended time. It's fine for cleaning it, just don't spray and forget. I use it all the time to clean grease off my DR650, like all the grease crap that builds up around the front sprocket. Though FWIW, WD40 actually works better in that particular case. Then I re-oil the chain afterward. :)

Rob

All true, also don't spray it full strength around anything that might be greased
(unless you want it off). I use it to clean the alloy wheels on our cars but you need to keep it away from the brake callipers or after a while there is no more grease on pins, mounts ect.
__________________
2012 DR 650
1986 Cagiva Alazzurra Tracker/Fighter/Cafe/Brat/Bobber project
1971 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

Slow old grey haired guys with arthritis and other ailments rule!
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #68558
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
The gsxr pipes are going for stupid money now. It's crazy.
I just picked up my 35F0 GSX-R can on ebay for $46 in pretty much mint condition. These are the cans that came on 01-03 GSXR 600 and 00-03 GSXR 750. They will flow plenty well for a DR650, considering the 00-03 GSXR 750 makes 140HP, 100 HP more than our bikes. It is a couple pounds heavier than the 40F0 (01-02 GSXR 1000) but still much lighter than the stock muffler. Very nice tone, louder than stock for sure but not as loud as the FMF Q4 and hardly any popping on decel. I am not sad that I did not hold out for a 40F0. Dimention wise, the 35F0 and 40F0 are the same. The Keintech GSXR midpipe kit will work for either the 35F0 or the 40F0.

The GSXR midpipe kit from keintech is VERY nice. It seems expensive, until you get the kit in your hands. They put a lot of effort into making it a perfect bolt-up to the DR650. Even including a nice machined, SOLID, handsome bracket to mount the muffler to the mounting point on the sub-frame. So with the 35F0 and Keintech midpipe kit, I have $280 including shipping into the setup. My FMF Q4 that I had previously cost me $300 shipped.

One of the big reasons I held off on the GSXR pipe conversion was that I liked the way the FMF looked, and didn't think I liked the way the GSXR muffler looked. Now that I have it installed, the GSXR muffler looks awesome on the bike.

Motodeficient screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 12:32 PM
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #68559
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,521
we just have to get Briggs and Stratton to sell the pieces they punch out.

__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #68560
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
I just picked up my 35F0 GSX-R can on ebay for $46 in pretty much mint condition. These are the cans that came on 01-03 GSXR 600 and 00-03 GSXR 750. They will flow plenty well for a DR650, considering the 00-03 GSXR 750 makes 140HP, 100 HP more than our bikes. It is a couple pounds heavier than the 40F0 (01-02 GSXR 1000) but still much lighter than the stock muffler. Very nice tone, louder than stock for sure but not as loud as the FMF Q4 and hardly any popping on decel. I am not sad that I did not hold out for a 40F0. Dimention wise, the 35F0 and 40F0 are the same. The Keintech GSXR midpipe kit will work for either the 35F0 or the 40F0.

The GSXR midpipe kit from keintech is VERY nice. It seems expensive, until you get the kit in your hands. They put a lot of effort into making it a perfect bolt-up to the DR650. Even including a nice machined, SOLID, handsome bracket to mount the muffler to the mounting point on the sub-frame. So with the 35F0 and Keintech midpipe kit, I have $280 including shipping into the setup. My FMF Q4 that I had previously cost me $300 shipped.

One of the big reasons I held off on the GSXR pipe conversion was that I liked the way the FMF looked, and didn't think I liked the way the GSXR muffler looked. Now that I have it installed, the GSXR muffler looks awesome on the bike.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Suzuki-...8d7a9f&vxp=mtr
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #68561
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
we just have to get Briggs and Stratton to sell the pieces they punch out.
__________________
2004 DR650: 61,105 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #68562
Mongle
Knuckle dragger
 
Mongle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: North Carolina Y'all
Oddometer: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I've used it full strength to remove Sharpie markings on plastic.. as long as the sharpie markings aren't that old. If they've been around for ages, forget it.

Note... I've read that Simple Green has been known to cause pitting on aluminum if left on it for an extended time. It's fine for cleaning it, just don't spray and forget. I use it all the time to clean grease off my DR650, like all the grease crap that builds up around the front sprocket. Though FWIW, WD40 actually works better in that particular case. Then I re-oil the chain afterward. :)

Rob
And do NOT spray it on a hot engine. It will turn the alumn. case white. I have seen people spray it on hot alumn. rims after driving and it dries almost immediately and causes a white stain. After that it takes a lot of Mothers polish and elbow work!
Mongle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #68563
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,965
U-Haul, part of the Suzuki DR Experience.



My wife's bike blew out its countershaft oil seal and lost a lot of oil. I could probably have fixed it but we decided to load both up and come home to fix it properly.



The rail we found sitting beside the parking lot worked beautifully as a ramp. Sure came in handy, though it weighed a couple of hundred pounds.

After my alternator problem on the BMW F8 earlier in the week, I figured bad luck comes in threes, so let it happen at home.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #68564
edwardo
clever witticism here
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: southern MO
Oddometer: 57
To mod or not to mod...

Hello all...hope you don't mind a somewhat retarded question...

I have added the pumper to my DR. Along with a 13/42, I am loving the ride I'm getting from it (secondary, gravel, moderate trail). From the thread, it seems the GSXR exhaust is getting harder to come by. I have the stock muffler currently and really like the lack of noise from it. BUT...if the GSXR or 'busa exhaust would open another door, I wouldn't mind spending the coin...
My question: what kind of performance increase could I appreciate from the exhaust modification??
__________________
Do not confuse enthusiasm with capability. ~General Peter Schoomaker ...
edwardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #68565
barko1
barko1
 
barko1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Las Cruces, NM or thereabouts
Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
173K miles, now that's what I'm hoping for!

And I have a nice ocean front property for sale in Nevada if you're interested
__________________
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014