ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #68641
freestate
Adventurer
 
freestate's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Stockholm, Capitol of Scandinavia
Oddometer: 65
Went on a three day trip with a mate. Was surprised how well the bike rode with the camp gear on it. We did everything from twisty asphalt roads to single track and the bike felt really nice the whole time. Carried enough for a week of camping really.



Even managed a slight off, without much damage.


Ride report bellow if you want more.
__________________
Dalarna Ride Report
freestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #68642
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,491
Even managed a slight off, without much damage.



Over-cook a turn, or fell asleep? With me, it's usually the over-cookin' thing.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #68643
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart
 
TinkerinWstuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Northern Front Range
Oddometer: 1,286
pic of my skid plate mount bolt damage from earlier this year. Oil wept from around the indent and the crack marked with black marker. Noticed oil leaking up on the mountain and hauled ass home.

Drained oil, let sit, sand paper area, cleaned with carb cleaner, applied JB Weld, working great

__________________
1999 Suzuki DR650
1998 Honda VFR800 Interceptor
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...KJutW9osVpn3hd
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #68644
freestate
Adventurer
 
freestate's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Stockholm, Capitol of Scandinavia
Oddometer: 65
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Even managed a slight off, without much damage.



Over-cook a turn, or fell asleep? With me, it's usually the over-cookin' thing.
Over-cooked, to much speed and to little road
You can't tell from the picture but it's a tight left hander that I exited.
All good though.
__________________
Dalarna Ride Report

freestate screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 08:39 AM
freestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #68645
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers
 
Tex76's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Plano, Texas
Oddometer: 858
Noob

Finalized a deal to buy Sirwrexalot's (is the name a bad sign lol) '05 DR650. Awesome bike with most of the farkles already on it (who am I kidding, I'm already buying farkles). Driving from dallas to Memphis and back Friday to make it back in time for a ride already scheduled for Saturday. This joins my '09 DL1000 in the stable and I'm stoked!! Excited to have something so dirt capable, just need to redo the suspension and I'm all set. Any other riders built like a grizzly bear? 325lbs here and looking at where to get my suspension parts from. Thanks in advance guys!
__________________
"We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about."
2007 BMW R1200 GSA, 2009 DL1000, 2005 DR650
30:Unemployed and Homeless (2 months and 10,000 miles)
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #68646
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled
 
GaThumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Thumpin' in North GA - headin' for the Smokys
Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Finalized a deal to buy Sirwrexalot's (is the name a bad sign lol) '05 DR650. Awesome bike with most of the farkles already on it (who am I kidding, I'm already buying farkles). Driving from dallas to Memphis and back Friday to make it back in time for a ride already scheduled for Saturday. This joins my '09 DL1000 in the stable and I'm stoked!! Excited to have something so dirt capable, just need to redo the suspension and I'm all set. Any other riders built like a grizzly bear? 325lbs here and looking at where to get my suspension parts from. Thanks in advance guys!
There are other options, but I really like and recommend Rick (NCRick) at Cogent Dynamics. He has a DR650 that he rides off road and track and a complete rebuild of the stock shock (all new internals in the stock shock body). I had him rebuild my shock with a heavier spring and damping and also got heavy front spring and Racetech Emulators. It's amazing how much better it is!

http://www.motocd.com/cd/


This thread tells the story from back in 2008 when the development of the rear shock began and also tracks the group buys where you can get the optional ceramic coating at a big savings and save a little on springs, too. Worth your time to read this thread. A group buy is underway now, but there is usually another one in the fall if there is enough interest. I think it takes 4 upgrades (geting the ceramic coating) to get the discount on the coating.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=dr650+shock
__________________
Dirtly: 2009 Suzuki DR650SE Road Sofa: 2001 Yamaha (ad)Venture 1300
Dirtlier: 1999 Suzuki DR350SE Old Sport: 1979 Suzuki GS1000E

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #68647
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fire Escape's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Epsom, NH
Oddometer: 1,488
Suspension Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Finalized a deal to buy Sirwrexalot's (is the name a bad sign lol) '05 DR650. Awesome bike with most of the farkles already on it (who am I kidding, I'm already buying farkles). Driving from dallas to Memphis and back Friday to make it back in time for a ride already scheduled for Saturday. This joins my '09 DL1000 in the stable and I'm stoked!! Excited to have something so dirt capable, just need to redo the suspension and I'm all set. Any other riders built like a grizzly bear? 325lbs here and looking at where to get my suspension parts from. Thanks in advance guys!



I am in that 'weight class', I also have racks and 20mm ammo cans for 'luggage', I rode the bike stock for several seasons having only maxed the rear spring preload. It seemed that the rear end kept 'settling' until it was hardly high enough to stay upright on the sidestand. I have no doubt that doing a full revalve and springs on both ends would be worthwhile .... but I am old, slow, fixed income, MBS, etc. so I took the 'field expedient' (OK cheap) route and got a set of .55 front springs and an 8.3 (I think) rear spring from ProCycle. This spring (sorry, pun not intended) I changed the fork oil and swapped the springs, I am very happy with the results. While it is indeed true that heavier springs will 'just overwhelm the damping' for a 'need the springs to go faster' rider, I think the results may be somewhat different for those of us who need the springs to get our ride height back to what the factory designed it to be. I have no argument for those who say it's better to do the whole deal, and I may yet get there but this kept the bike 'rideable' for me.


Bruce
__________________
No one calls the Fire Department because they did something smart!
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #68648
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled
 
GaThumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Thumpin' in North GA - headin' for the Smokys
Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I am in that 'weight class', I also have racks and 20mm ammo cans for 'luggage', I rode the bike stock for several seasons having only maxed the rear spring preload. It seemed that the rear end kept 'settling' until it was hardly high enough to stay upright on the sidestand. I have no doubt that doing a full revalve and springs on both ends would be worthwhile .... but I am old, slow, fixed income, MBS, etc. so I took the 'field expedient' (OK cheap) route and got a set of .55 front springs and an 8.3 (I think) rear spring from ProCycle. This spring (sorry, pun not intended) I changed the fork oil and swapped the springs, I am very happy with the results. While it is indeed true that heavier springs will 'just overwhelm the damping' for a 'need the springs to go faster' rider, I think the results may be somewhat different for those of us who need the springs to get our ride height back to what the factory designed it to be. I have no argument for those who say it's better to do the whole deal, and I may yet get there but this kept the bike 'rideable' for me.


Bruce
I've done that before too and it will be better than the stock springs on both ends. I think Rick told me the stock springs were good for a rider up to about 200 pounds. For us more "manly" sized men, new springs are necessary!

As Bruce said, much less cost, gets the ride height back to where it should be, and won't bottom out in the rough.

I'd still recommend giving Rick a call. It's free, and he is generous with his advice. He may have some ideas about inexpensive changes that would give a little more improvement without doing the whole rebuild.
__________________
Dirtly: 2009 Suzuki DR650SE Road Sofa: 2001 Yamaha (ad)Venture 1300
Dirtlier: 1999 Suzuki DR350SE Old Sport: 1979 Suzuki GS1000E

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #68649
Trbig67
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Oddometer: 108
Hi all...

I've got a 2006 DR650 that's pretty much bone stock, 17k on the odometer. The last couple rides, when I hit shallow water crossings (6" or less) at a high speed, the bike stumbles badly for a moment, then usually catches and goes, but for quite a while after that, like 20-30 minutes, anything up to 3/4 throttle is fine, but anything over that and it will die like you hit the kill switch until you let back off the throttle. Air box is unmodified and has snorkel. It never did this before and it's not only annoying, it's dangerous as riding buddies have about run over me at times. Ideas? Anyone? Maybe just new plug wires? Plugs are fairly new.
Trbig67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #68650
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?
 
Krusty ...'s Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Richardson, TX
Oddometer: 7,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Finalized a deal to buy Sirwrexalot's (is the name a bad sign lol) '05 DR650. Awesome bike with most of the farkles already on it (who am I kidding, I'm already buying farkles). Driving from dallas to Memphis and back Friday to make it back in time for a ride already scheduled for Saturday. This joins my '09 DL1000 in the stable and I'm stoked!! Excited to have something so dirt capable, just need to redo the suspension and I'm all set. Any other riders built like a grizzly bear? 325lbs here and looking at where to get my suspension parts from. Thanks in advance guys!

Hey, neighbor ... I'm in your size class . I scored a remanufactuted WP shock for mine, but if I hadn't, I likely would have gone with Cogent. Lots of great reviews. Up front, I swapped in a set of stock springs from a DL650 (.76, I believe) and a set of Intiminators. 7.5 fork oil. I primarily ride street, so I don't know if they're too stiff for offload. They're progressively wound, so the ride is pretty plush. Brake dive is just a bad memory . Oh, yeah, they cost me $5 on eBay, plus shipping . Not sure if the DL1000 springs would swap, if you upgraded your Strom...
__________________
SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
"...choosing a DR indicates an affinity for peace, harmony and enlightenment. Serenity lies in accepting it as it is, changing what you want, and the wisdom of knowing it ain't orange." -psmcd
Krusty ... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #68651
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers
 
Tex76's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Plano, Texas
Oddometer: 858
Good call, I put progressive springs in the Strom and still have the stock set, I'll see if thats an option before looking into new springs. I've heard really good things about Cogent, would love to get in on a group buy with them. See ya on the road Krusty! Thanks for the link to Cogent GaThumper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
Hey, neighbor ... I'm in your size class . I scored a remanufactuted WP shock for mine, but if I hadn't, I likely would have gone with Cogent. Lots of great reviews. Up front, I swapped in a set of stock springs from a DL650 (.76, I believe) and a set of Intiminators. 7.5 fork oil. I primarily ride street, so I don't know if they're too stiff for offload. They're progressively wound, so the ride is pretty plush. Brake dive is just a bad memory . Oh, yeah, they cost me $5 on eBay, plus shipping . Not sure if the DL1000 springs would swap, if you upgraded your Strom...
__________________
"We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about."
2007 BMW R1200 GSA, 2009 DL1000, 2005 DR650
30:Unemployed and Homeless (2 months and 10,000 miles)
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #68652
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart
 
TinkerinWstuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Northern Front Range
Oddometer: 1,286
Love the ammo cans but they are heavy

__________________
1999 Suzuki DR650
1998 Honda VFR800 Interceptor
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...KJutW9osVpn3hd
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #68653
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbig67 View Post
I've got a 2006 DR650 that's pretty much bone stock, 17k on the odometer. The last couple rides, when I hit shallow water crossings (6" or less) at a high speed, the bike stumbles badly for a moment, then usually catches and goes, but for quite a while after that, like 20-30 minutes, anything up to 3/4 throttle is fine, but anything over that and it will die like you hit the kill switch until you let back off the throttle. Air box is unmodified and has snorkel. It never did this before and it's not only annoying, it's dangerous as riding buddies have about run over me at times. Ideas? Anyone? Maybe just new plug wires? Plugs are fairly new.
I'd start with plug wires as that's pretty simple and usually a culprit when water cuts out the bike. I noticed on a 98 model I recently picked up that one of the plug wires is badly cracked probably just from age, so I've got them on the list to replace. BTW, you might duplicate with a garden hose on spraying on the bike while its running and see if you can confirm its the plug wire(s) that is faulty.

I'm not sure if its the same on the DR, but I know on other Suzuki's like the SV650, there was an arrow on the wire to show what direction that plug wire was supposed to attach to keep water out.
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #68654
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,491
Here's a riddle: Why don't I have any turn-sigs, but the indicator still flashes? 3 outta 4 bulbs good, but I can't seem to locate any bulbs for the little aftermarket signals I have.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #68655
thetable
Beastly Adventurer
 
thetable's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Western Loudoun Co, VA
Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Here's a riddle: Why don't I have any turn-sigs, but the indicator still flashes? 3 outta 4 bulbs good, but I can't seem to locate any bulbs for the little aftermarket signals I have.
That's odd, I have no turn signals on the bike, and the indicator doesn't flash at all. The funny thing is, that after giving hand signals, I still feel the need to push the cancel button after completing a turn.
thetable is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014