Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #68641
freestate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Went on a three day trip with a mate. Was surprised how well the bike rode with the camp gear on it. We did everything from twisty asphalt roads to single track and the bike felt really nice the whole time. Carried enough for a week of camping really.

Even managed a slight off, without much damage.

Ride report bellow if you want more.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #68642
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,491

Over-cook a turn, or fell asleep? With me, it's usually the over-cookin' thing.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #68643
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
pic of my skid plate mount bolt damage from earlier this year. Oil wept from around the indent and the crack marked with black marker. Noticed oil leaking up on the mountain and hauled ass home.

Drained oil, let sit, sand paper area, cleaned with carb cleaner, applied JB Weld, working great

TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #68644
freestate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post

Over-cook a turn, or fell asleep? With me, it's usually the over-cookin' thing.
Over-cooked, to much speed and to little road
You can't tell from the picture but it's a tight left hander that I exited.
All good though.

freestate screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 08:39 AM
freestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #68645
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Noob

Finalized a deal to buy Sirwrexalot's (is the name a bad sign lol) '05 DR650. Awesome bike with most of the farkles already on it (who am I kidding, I'm already buying farkles). Driving from dallas to Memphis and back Friday to make it back in time for a ride already scheduled for Saturday. This joins my '09 DL1000 in the stable and I'm stoked!! Excited to have something so dirt capable, just need to redo the suspension and I'm all set. Any other riders built like a grizzly bear? 325lbs here and looking at where to get my suspension parts from. Thanks in advance guys!
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #68646
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Finalized a deal to buy Sirwrexalot's (is the name a bad sign lol) '05 DR650. Awesome bike with most of the farkles already on it (who am I kidding, I'm already buying farkles). Driving from dallas to Memphis and back Friday to make it back in time for a ride already scheduled for Saturday. This joins my '09 DL1000 in the stable and I'm stoked!! Excited to have something so dirt capable, just need to redo the suspension and I'm all set. Any other riders built like a grizzly bear? 325lbs here and looking at where to get my suspension parts from. Thanks in advance guys!
There are other options, but I really like and recommend Rick (NCRick) at Cogent Dynamics. He has a DR650 that he rides off road and track and a complete rebuild of the stock shock (all new internals in the stock shock body). I had him rebuild my shock with a heavier spring and damping and also got heavy front spring and Racetech Emulators. It's amazing how much better it is!

http://www.motocd.com/cd/

This thread tells the story from back in 2008 when the development of the rear shock began and also tracks the group buys where you can get the optional ceramic coating at a big savings and save a little on springs, too. Worth your time to read this thread. A group buy is underway now, but there is usually another one in the fall if there is enough interest. I think it takes 4 upgrades (geting the ceramic coating) to get the discount on the coating.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=dr650+shock

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #68647
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Suspension Upgrades

Quote:

I am in that 'weight class', I also have racks and 20mm ammo cans for 'luggage', I rode the bike stock for several seasons having only maxed the rear spring preload. It seemed that the rear end kept 'settling' until it was hardly high enough to stay upright on the sidestand. I have no doubt that doing a full revalve and springs on both ends would be worthwhile .... but I am old, slow, fixed income, MBS, etc. so I took the 'field expedient' (OK cheap) route and got a set of .55 front springs and an 8.3 (I think) rear spring from ProCycle. This spring (sorry, pun not intended) I changed the fork oil and swapped the springs, I am very happy with the results. While it is indeed true that heavier springs will 'just overwhelm the damping' for a 'need the springs to go faster' rider, I think the results may be somewhat different for those of us who need the springs to get our ride height back to what the factory designed it to be. I have no argument for those who say it's better to do the whole deal, and I may yet get there but this kept the bike 'rideable' for me.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #68648
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I am in that 'weight class', I also have racks and 20mm ammo cans for 'luggage', I rode the bike stock for several seasons having only maxed the rear spring preload. It seemed that the rear end kept 'settling' until it was hardly high enough to stay upright on the sidestand. I have no doubt that doing a full revalve and springs on both ends would be worthwhile .... but I am old, slow, fixed income, MBS, etc. so I took the 'field expedient' (OK cheap) route and got a set of .55 front springs and an 8.3 (I think) rear spring from ProCycle. This spring (sorry, pun not intended) I changed the fork oil and swapped the springs, I am very happy with the results. While it is indeed true that heavier springs will 'just overwhelm the damping' for a 'need the springs to go faster' rider, I think the results may be somewhat different for those of us who need the springs to get our ride height back to what the factory designed it to be. I have no argument for those who say it's better to do the whole deal, and I may yet get there but this kept the bike 'rideable' for me.

Bruce
I've done that before too and it will be better than the stock springs on both ends. I think Rick told me the stock springs were good for a rider up to about 200 pounds. For us more "manly" sized men, new springs are necessary!

As Bruce said, much less cost, gets the ride height back to where it should be, and won't bottom out in the rough.

I'd still recommend giving Rick a call. It's free, and he is generous with his advice. He may have some ideas about inexpensive changes that would give a little more improvement without doing the whole rebuild.

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #68649
Trbig67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Hi all...

I've got a 2006 DR650 that's pretty much bone stock, 17k on the odometer. The last couple rides, when I hit shallow water crossings (6" or less) at a high speed, the bike stumbles badly for a moment, then usually catches and goes, but for quite a while after that, like 20-30 minutes, anything up to 3/4 throttle is fine, but anything over that and it will die like you hit the kill switch until you let back off the throttle. Air box is unmodified and has snorkel. It never did this before and it's not only annoying, it's dangerous as riding buddies have about run over me at times. Ideas? Anyone? Maybe just new plug wires? Plugs are fairly new.
Trbig67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #68650
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
Quote:

Hey, neighbor ... I'm in your size class . I scored a remanufactuted WP shock for mine, but if I hadn't, I likely would have gone with Cogent. Lots of great reviews. Up front, I swapped in a set of stock springs from a DL650 (.76, I believe) and a set of Intiminators. 7.5 fork oil. I primarily ride street, so I don't know if they're too stiff for offload. They're progressively wound, so the ride is pretty plush. Brake dive is just a bad memory . Oh, yeah, they cost me $5 on eBay, plus shipping . Not sure if the DL1000 springs would swap, if you upgraded your Strom...
Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #68651
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Good call, I put progressive springs in the Strom and still have the stock set, I'll see if thats an option before looking into new springs. I've heard really good things about Cogent, would love to get in on a group buy with them. See ya on the road Krusty! Thanks for the link to Cogent GaThumper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
Hey, neighbor ... I'm in your size class . I scored a remanufactuted WP shock for mine, but if I hadn't, I likely would have gone with Cogent. Lots of great reviews. Up front, I swapped in a set of stock springs from a DL650 (.76, I believe) and a set of Intiminators. 7.5 fork oil. I primarily ride street, so I don't know if they're too stiff for offload. They're progressively wound, so the ride is pretty plush. Brake dive is just a bad memory . Oh, yeah, they cost me $5 on eBay, plus shipping . Not sure if the DL1000 springs would swap, if you upgraded your Strom...
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #68652
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Love the ammo cans but they are heavy

TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #68653
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbig67 View Post
I've got a 2006 DR650 that's pretty much bone stock, 17k on the odometer. The last couple rides, when I hit shallow water crossings (6" or less) at a high speed, the bike stumbles badly for a moment, then usually catches and goes, but for quite a while after that, like 20-30 minutes, anything up to 3/4 throttle is fine, but anything over that and it will die like you hit the kill switch until you let back off the throttle. Air box is unmodified and has snorkel. It never did this before and it's not only annoying, it's dangerous as riding buddies have about run over me at times. Ideas? Anyone? Maybe just new plug wires? Plugs are fairly new.
I'd start with plug wires as that's pretty simple and usually a culprit when water cuts out the bike. I noticed on a 98 model I recently picked up that one of the plug wires is badly cracked probably just from age, so I've got them on the list to replace. BTW, you might duplicate with a garden hose on spraying on the bike while its running and see if you can confirm its the plug wire(s) that is faulty.

I'm not sure if its the same on the DR, but I know on other Suzuki's like the SV650, there was an arrow on the wire to show what direction that plug wire was supposed to attach to keep water out.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #68654
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,491
Here's a riddle: Why don't I have any turn-sigs, but the indicator still flashes? 3 outta 4 bulbs good, but I can't seem to locate any bulbs for the little aftermarket signals I have.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #68655
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Here's a riddle: Why don't I have any turn-sigs, but the indicator still flashes? 3 outta 4 bulbs good, but I can't seem to locate any bulbs for the little aftermarket signals I have.
That's odd, I have no turn signals on the bike, and the indicator doesn't flash at all. The funny thing is, that after giving hand signals, I still feel the need to push the cancel button after completing a turn.
thetable is online now   Reply With Quote