Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #68656
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Finalized a deal to buy Sirwrexalot's (is the name a bad sign lol) '05 DR650. Awesome bike with most of the farkles already on it (who am I kidding, I'm already buying farkles). Driving from dallas to Memphis and back Friday to make it back in time for a ride already scheduled for Saturday. This joins my '09 DL1000 in the stable and I'm stoked!! Excited to have something so dirt capable, just need to redo the suspension and I'm all set. Any other riders built like a grizzly bear? 325lbs here and looking at where to get my suspension parts from. Thanks in advance guys!
I would order Race Tech front springs, emulators and a Race Tech rear shock assy with spring. On their website, you can put in your weight and riding style for your bike and it will suggest a spring rate front and rear. It'll be around $800 - $1000 (front and rear) but will address all of your suspension needs.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #68657
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,694
thinairflyer,

I had a cousin that knew a guy that worked in a Honda shop, but he said the Suzuki isn't that different from a bike one of his customers had and the guy that rode with him had got a big gain from swapping out his doohickey or something like that, but he thought tires would have made a bigger difference. Hope that helps.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #68658
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinairflyer View Post
I posted:

Pro Cycle Top End Performance Kit ?
Is anyone running the Pro Cycle high compression piston and stage 2 cam? If so, how do you like it? I'm considering it for more power at highway speeds, staying with stock carb and muffler. Thanks for info. L D

Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
I would think that those mods won't do a lot with the stock carb and pipe. Fuel has to get in and burnt gasses need to leave. Especially at highway speeds - there is a lot going through the engine under that load and the stock set up restricts the engine as it is.

Procycle replied:
The stock carb can handle it just fine if the airbox is opened up and carb is jetted to suit. By retaining the stock exhaust it will still get a boost but it will not let the engine mods work to their full potential.

I have been riding and working on bikes for a full 60 years... :-)

As Procycle replied: The stock carb is fine.

I say, take a look at dyno charts and about the most to be gained over the stock exhaust is a good deal more noise and 2 hp. I don't want the noise.... Carb mods only increase response mostly, I don't need that, the CV carb is okay for my use on the highway or gravel roads.

The high compression piston and stage 2 cam will put the power increase where I want it.

My original query was if anyone was running the Top End Performance kit, thanks, but don't need opinions on needing to do something else first. The higher compresion and stage 2 cam should add more horsepower than a carb and pipe upgrade.... I would just like to hear from someone using it...

So, is anyone actually running the Top End Performance kit that can comment on how they like it?

Thanks, L D
I would lighten up just a wee bit, If you want to get people to offer opinions or their experiences. Pick and choose the ones you want to listen to, but people are only trying to help. Personally I think dirtydeeds point was valid, and procycle more or less agreed with him . They both basically said a stock carb was not a good idea (procycle just elaborated to say you would need to open the air box and rejet --- that is not stock). I didn't see where anyone suggested swapping carbs.

Anyways hope it works out if you decide to do it and keep us posted.

Rumlover screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 10:07 PM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #68659
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Wanna drop weight...get rid of that midget on you bike. Yes, I know they are entertaining but you can't take them everywhere you go!
tough to pry him off.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #68660
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
I posted:

Pro Cycle Top End Performance Kit ?
Is anyone running the Pro Cycle high compression piston and stage 2 cam? If so, how do you like it? I'm considering it for more power at highway speeds, staying with stock carb and muffler. Thanks for info. L D

I would think that those mods won't do a lot with the stock carb and pipe. Fuel has to get in and burnt gasses need to leave. Especially at highway speeds - there is a lot going through the engine under that load and the stock set up restricts the engine as it is.

Procycle replied:
The stock carb can handle it just fine if the airbox is opened up and carb is jetted to suit. By retaining the stock exhaust it will still get a boost but it will not let the engine mods work to their full potential.

I have been riding and working on bikes for a full 60 years... :-)

As Procycle replied: The stock carb is fine.

I say, take a look at dyno charts and about the most to be gained over the stock exhaust is a good deal more noise and 2 hp. I don't want the noise.... Carb mods only increase response mostly, I don't need that, the CV carb is okay for my use on the highway or gravel roads.

The high compression piston and stage 2 cam will put the power increase where I want it.

My original query was if anyone was running the Top End Performance kit, thanks, but don't need opinions on needing to do something else first. The higher compresion and stage 2 cam should add more horsepower than a carb and pipe upgrade.... I would just like to hear from someone using it...

So, is anyone actually running the Top End Performance kit that can comment on how they like it?

Thanks, L D

I had the hi-comp piston only in my first DR and it made a very nice improvement with the stock re-jetted carb and stock exhaust. It pulled everything with more authority was a bit smoother due to the lighter piston.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #68661
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,061
Quote:
I would think so too, especially if he's riding at any kind of altitude. He's going to want to be able to flow more air. Even here at sea-level, I noticed a difference with opening the airbox and exhaust to flow better, especially at higher RPMs.

Open the airbox (cut open or door removal), find an exhaust that flows well without sounding obnoxious, and tune the carb (stock or other). The choked-off stock engine will thank you. THEN go tearing into the engine to replace a piston and/or cam.

You may get better performance than stock with just the piston and cam, but it's not going to be optimal without being able to flow more fuel and air in and out.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #68662
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

I would recommend suspension changes before messing with the piston. Probably LED lights too.

Hope to see you out on the trail. I've done the rest of the mods and the piston is next on my list. Let us know how it goes should you proceed.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #68663
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
So who knew you could turn your key past the "lock" location to an "accessory" position and remove the key? Then leave the bike at a secluded mountain location and hike for 11 rugged miles and return to a stone dead battery?

Ever try to push start a DR650 with ammo can panniers on gravel?

I managed to macgyver a jump from some guy's pickup truck by removing my battery and connecting it to his trailer light connector. There were vehicles at the trail head all from hunters who'd packed in for the week. Fortunately the guy didn't show up to find me stealing a jump off his truck.

I'd almost killed my battery this way a year or two ago but noticed the tail light on.
You sound like a candidate for a dual-battery setup. Carry a charged spare. You could also carry one of those solar panels that folds like a map.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #68664
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Thanks much, jessepit I appreciate your response. I am glad you mentioned the smoother motor with the lighter piston. Sounds like I need to plan on a winter project. :-) Besides the power increase, smoother would be nice, vibration is the biggest complaint I have with the DR650. Actually it is my only dislike. My KLR250 at 330 cc and my SV650 are much smoother than the DR650. That said, if I was limited to one bike it would definitely be the DR650. It is just such a good all around bike.

I have the stage 1 cam in mine right now and it makes the motor much 'crisper' feeling to me, but does not add much power above low and mid range.

By the way did you run regular or premium gas in yours?

L D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
I had the hi-comp piston only in my first DR and it made a very nice improvement with the stock re-jetted carb and stock exhaust. It pulled everything with more authority was a bit smoother due to the lighter piston.
thinairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #68665
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Suspension mods, Seat Concepts seat kit, different handlebars that suit me, different gearing, (several sets of gearing) stage one cam, Turbo City WS with Laminar lip, custom rear rack, Cortech TriBags, DRZ-S rear shock, Hi Intensity headlamp bulb, true 50 - 50 DOT tires, Waterproof GPS and a few other touches done. :-) Thousands of miles ridden. :-) Just want a little more oopmh on the highway with a quiet stock exhaust, had a GSXR1000 muf on and didn't like the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
I would recommend suspension changes before messing with the piston. Probably LED lights too.

Hope to see you out on the trail. I've done the rest of the mods and the piston is next on my list. Let us know how it goes should you proceed.
thinairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #68666
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Quote:
Suspension mods, Seat Concepts seat kit, different handlebars that suit me, different gearing, (several sets of gearing) stage one cam, Turbo City WS with Laminar lip, custom rear rack, Cortech TriBags, DRZ-S rear shock, Hi Intensity headlamp bulb, true 50 - 50 DOT tires, Waterproof GPS and a few other touches done. :-) Thousands of miles ridden. :-) Just want a little more oopmh on the highway with a quiet stock exhaust, had a GSXR1000 muf on and didn't like the noise.
Was mostly just poking fun although I was serious about suspension.

The high compression piston seems like a hell of a value and will be on my Christmas list.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #68667
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,097
Mocked up, not bolted down yet. Getting there.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:12 AM   #68668
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,847
yes you do have a DR problem...looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Mocked up, not bolted down yet. Getting there.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #68669
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,037
After the few years of keeping up with this thread and modifying my own DR, I still enjoy seeing how each rider makes the bike their own. One of the strengths of the DR IMO, personalizing. A good common base with an endless list of outcomes supported heavily by the aftermarket and penny tech tinkering brains around the globe.

Lookin' good MeterPig..!

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #68670
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
Sounds like you have your easy fix then. I spent all of about 20 minutes removing mine for a track day, and never bothered putting them back on. The mounts make such good tie down points... Since then, the DR hasn't spent much time outside of TN and NC, but I have plenty of friends in VA without signals too.

Is it possible that you have an electronic flasher module, like those designed to operate LEDs at a normal flash rate?
The flasher is whatever is stock. I put mini turn sigs on a couple years ago. The bulbs are 12v 23W. Everything worked for years, but all of a sudden none work but the dash indicator still flashes.

I'm headed to the garage to dig around in the harness.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote