Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #68701
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
............but I was on the DR and it was there and legal enough...........

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #68702
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
I have a KTM 300 for that stuff, but I was on the DR and it was there and legal enough to see where it led.

Where the heck can one ride in NYC And I have a Husky 250 for that type of terrain.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #68703
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Just got my new Seat Concepts 1" taller seat....

big thanks to Lendon @ SeatConcepts for getting this done in time for my upcoming trip. They can now make them for everybody.

Sorry you had to see my bike without knobbies. She's dressed for a 1000 mile street ride. Not my usual type of riding.

One other added bonus.....it gets rid of the blue and yellow stock seat colors.
Very nice. At 6'4", that is exactly what I'm looking for.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #68704
Hasanito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
89 model DR650

I've been riding xt225 for about a year now and wasn't really planning an upgrade but I saw a very cheap DR650 for sale but wanted to find out from experts here, do's and don't for this model DR.

It's a 1989 model DR650 for AU$1750
It looks good for its age and assured that it runs well. It will need standard TLC like any other second hand bike.

After some googling, I found a lot of info but can't find any record of 89 model dr650!
Hasanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #68705
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Just got my new Seat Concepts 1" taller seat for the DR650

Seriously nice product. I got the "standard vinyl because I want to be able to slide around and have my pants come with me.

I sat on it and it changes the whole feel of the bike. It feels like my KTM more. I feel like I'm on the bike as compared to in it. The stock seat always felt low to me.

I will be taking it for a ride tomorrow.

A big thanks to Lendon @ SeatConcepts for getting this done in time for my upcoming trip. They can now make them for everybody.

Sorry you had to see my bike without knobbies. She's dressed for a 1000 mile street ride. Not my usual type of riding.

One other added bonus.....it gets rid of the blue and yellow stock seat colors.

That looks really good. I don't need the extra height, but my Sargent seat could use an extra inch of good foam in it. My knees force me to sit down most of the time, so a little extra padding would be nice! I have a Corbin on my DR350 that was ordered for my riding buddy with an extra inch of memory foam and I love it. We just asked Corbin about making the seat softer for him and they said they could add an extra layer of foam to it. It really turned out good, and looks and feels like no other Corbin I've had. Instead of flat and hard it's got a taller look and is softer than your typical Corbin. Just another option if anyone is interested in paying the price for a Corbin.

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #68706
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEYSTOP View Post
Who makes or where can I get short clutch and break leavers for my 2007 DR650?
hacksaw works great...I shortened mine about 1.5 inches to fit in the MSR brush guards.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #68707
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Just got my new Seat Concepts 1" taller seat for the DR650

compare with stock:

I will be taking it for a ride tomorrow.

A big thanks to Lendon @ SeatConcepts for getting this done in time for my upcoming trip. They can now make them for everybody.

That's a fine looking saddle. What's the price tag...if you don't mind me asking?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #68708
Eflyguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
That's a fine looking saddle. What's the price tag...if you don't mind me asking?
$160

http://seatconcepts.com/products#ecw...roduct=7268100

.. and there's discount codes out there for $10 off, which translates to free shipping.
..a
Old 09-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #68709
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
Hello, I'm new. Long time lurker and browser of all the awesome pictures, first time poster.
Could anyone please confirm if the Australian spec DR650 is the same as the US and Euro spec. In Australia there is what they call a LAMS scheme (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) and so some bikes are LAMS approved and some aren't. Some bikes they do two versions of so these bikes must have some sort of restricter in place, usually in the throttle. The DR650 is a LAMS approved bike in Australia but my question is, is this because it's power figures are such that it falls into that bracket, or does it have some sort of restriction in place?

I have a full licence so would prefer to unrestrict it if there is some sort of restriction in place.

Thanks,

Chill
Yeah, they calculate it on a power to weight ratio, and they allow 80kg for the rider. The DR falls into the LAMS list because of it's low power output.

So there's no removal of a restrictor to give you magic power gains, unfortunately. With the DR, what you see is what you get.

On LAMS - I argued that I'm heavier than 80kg (95ish, 100+ in full riding gear), but that doesn't matter. If you weigh in at 100kg, the Wee-Strom and other bikes come into play, but they simply wont use that sort of logic. It's the advertised weight + 80kg.

When my son was doing his Provisional license, he took his ZZR250 in for a service, and the shop gave him a Vulcan 1700 cruiser loan bike, which was perfectly LAMS legal.

The stupidity is that if you weighed 100kg, and you were riding a Wee-Strom, if the cops pulled you over they'd book you for riding a bike outside your license category, when in fact, on a power to weight basis, it isn't. But it's not on the list.

Just stupid. Another example of legislation without consultation or thought.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #68710
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Where the heck can one ride in NYC And I have a Husky 250 for that type of terrain.
Hmmm...Central Park, Prospect Park, Forest Park
I am up in the Adirondack in upstate NY and though it is the largest park in the lower 48 no where to legally ride good stuff.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #68711
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eflyguy View Post
$160

http://seatconcepts.com/products#ecw...roduct=7268100

.. and there's discount codes out there for $10 off, which translates to free shipping.
..a
Yes mention ADV Rider and I'm pretty sure you get free shipping. The tall foam isn't on their site yet, so you have to call if you want the tall version.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #68712
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinairflyer View Post
Thanks much, jessepit I appreciate your response. I am glad you mentioned the smoother motor with the lighter piston. Sounds like I need to plan on a winter project. :-) Besides the power increase, smoother would be nice, vibration is the biggest complaint I have with the DR650. Actually it is my only dislike. My KLR250 at 330 cc and my SV650 are much smoother than the DR650. That said, if I was limited to one bike it would definitely be the DR650. It is just such a good all around bike.

I have the stage 1 cam in mine right now and it makes the motor much 'crisper' feeling to me, but does not add much power above low and mid range.

By the way did you run regular or premium gas in yours?

L D

I should qualify the "smoother" statement; There is less "hop" vibration (what I feel is the thump in thumper) from the heavy piston but there is more "bang" vibration from the higher compression if that makes sense. I loved the change, but it is not the same sleepy trail bike it is in stock form. I ran plus most of the time but it ran fine on regular.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #68713
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Just fall with the stock hand guards and the levers are automatically shortened.

I like the brake side better broken and have left it for several years.

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #68714
maynard911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
Hello, I'm new. Long time lurker and browser of all the awesome pictures, first time poster.
Could anyone please confirm if the Australian spec DR650 is the same as the US and Euro spec. In Australia there is what they call a LAMS scheme (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) and so some bikes are LAMS approved and some aren't. Some bikes they do two versions of so these bikes must have some sort of restricter in place, usually in the throttle. The DR650 is a LAMS approved bike in Australia but my question is, is this because it's power figures are such that it falls into that bracket, or does it have some sort of restriction in place?

I have a full licence so would prefer to unrestrict it if there is some sort of restriction in place.

Thanks,

Chill
If my 68yr old memory is functioning properly I seem to recall a thousand or so pages back someone mentioning that the Austrailian bikes have a smaller exhaust outlet than US models, here it is 30mm or 1 3/16". Only other difference that I know of is that you guys get an adjustable needle in the carby while we are blessed by the EPA with a fixed one position type. Maybe your idle fuel mixture screw is not blocked off with a brass plug also.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #68715
maynard911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
A while back Jeff at Pro Cycle said he was testing some for inclusion on his list of DR goodies, give him a call and see what happened and let us all know.