ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #68851
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel
 
warp9man's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Layton Utah
Oddometer: 591
Hello Krusty, im afraid to ask about the "washer" issuie ha-ha!
im just a rider making parts for other riders


Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
Welcome, Warp9... Very exciting to see another innovator/fabricator focusing on the DR .
And don't mind the drama. It's a big thread; unavoidable . At least you missed the "washer" frecas... .
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #68852
Munzo
n00b
 
Munzo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
I have a Honda CR (from an XR400) perch and lever on my DR. I use one of those adapter plates on the bar mount so i retain a place to screw in my left mirror (a Double Take mirror). You can purchase any number of upgrade clutch mounts as the end of the DR clutch cable is a universal size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
The RMZ450 has short levers stock and both sides bolt up to the DR including the clutch cable,you loose the 'choke lever and mirror mounts.
I think the DRZ has the 11mm master cylinder like the RMZ also,smaller bore than the DR650.

Thanks for the info guys. Think I'm going to look into the stock RMZ setup with the mirror adapters.
Munzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #68853
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 186
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Hey guys, am in Kibondo, a small town in western Tanzania with another breakdown, this time it's electrical. I've traced it to a faulty ignition coil. It's heating up and shutting down the bike after 10 minutes of running. Once it cools, the bike fires up again but dies again in 10 minutes. I tired to substitute 2 chinese ignition coils from a 125cc but they too are heating up and bike shuts down. I initially thought it was a problem with fuel starvation and checked the entire carb and all is good there. Also, I have the Shorai Lithium Iron battery. Could that be an issue?

Do you think putting an ignition coil from a BMW F650 would work till I get to South Africa? I have a friend in Nairobi who might be able to source a coil from an F650 but he's not sure it will work. What do you think? Im thinking mainly the amps of the coil has to match, right?
Jay,
I hope I can help! You are living my dream!
Just because it is hot doesn't necessarily mean it is broken. The CDI could be messed up too.
First thing: The primary coil on the ignition coil should measure 0.07 to 0.12 ohms.
The secondary coil should measure 23-25 K-ohms.
If those measure properly, then your ignition coil is likely fine.
You can check the CDI by the manual if you have a manual. Page 6-20.
Also check the power source coil and pickup coil on the same page.

I'll check the BMW resistances and be back shortly.

This is all I could find:
Primary - Pin 2 to Pin 3 - 0.2 to 0.6 ohms
Secondary - HT lead to earth - 6k to 13k Ohms

The spark will be weaker, it will probably be cooler though. Try it if it's cheap I guess.

Edit Again:
According to the manual, the BMW primary coil should be 0.45 to 0.55 ohms.

Feelers screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 02:20 PM
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #68854
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Hey guys, am in Kibondo, a small town in western Tanzania with another breakdown, this time it's electrical. I've traced it to a faulty ignition coil. It's heating up and shutting down the bike after 10 minutes of running. Once it cools, the bike fires up again but dies again in 10 minutes. I tired to substitute 2 chinese ignition coils from a 125cc but they too are heating up and bike shuts down. I initially thought it was a problem with fuel starvation and checked the entire carb and all is good there. Also, I have the Shorai Lithium Iron battery. Could that be an issue?

Do you think putting an ignition coil from a BMW F650 would work till I get to South Africa? I have a friend in Nairobi who might be able to source a coil from an F650 but he's not sure it will work. What do you think? Im thinking mainly the amps of the coil has to match, right?
i think the dr would run with battery disconnected so not sure it's the shorai. guess you could start it and disconnect the battery right away and see what happens?

since those other coils are causing a shut down too it might not be that...process of elimination and the same result happens.

could some kind of electrical wire be heating, expanding/moving and then shorting elsewhere? what happens is you disconnect all your added electricals and even lights and see how the bike runs? go back to stock.
maybe something is going bad in there.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #68855
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,989
faulty CDI? i've heard about that on other bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Jay,
I hope I can help! You are living my dream!
Just because it is hot doesn't necessarily mean it is broken. The CDI could be messed up too.
First thing: The primary coil on the ignition coil should measure 0.07 to 0.12 ohms.
The secondary coil should measure 23-25 K-ohms.
If those measure properly, then your ignition coil is likely fine.
You can check the CDI by the manual if you have a manual. Page 6-20.
Also check the power source coil and pickup coil on the same page.

I'll check the BMW resistances and be back shortly.

This is all I could find:
Primary - Pin 2 to Pin 3 - 0.2 to 0.6 ohms
Secondary - HT lead to earth - 6k to 13k Ohms

The spark will be weaker, it will probably be cooler though. Try it if it's cheap I guess.

Edit Again:
According to the manual, the BMW primary coil should be 0.45 to 0.55 ohms.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #68856
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,989
sweet. love that look and color scheme.
yes DR owners are about real substance not anodized bling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
Hello Maynard, yes we can do any color you want. i think the DR guys tend to be on the consevative side when it comes to color. seems like the MX guys want the flash and the DR, KLR etc guys want silver or black, but yes we can do whatever color you want. if you wait about 3 weeks I a'm also working on some beautiful floating wave design rotors for the DR's. they look so good they should add an easy 3hp to the bike ha-ha

__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #68857
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,090
So I bugged Laminar about a DR650 specific screen. Hopefully they see the DR650 market as an opportunity.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #68858
dljocky
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Yorktown, Va
Oddometer: 853
Shcok Bumper

Good day all,
I just noticed that my shock bumper is pretty cracked. How hard is it to change this? I know I need to take the shock off, but do I also need to bleed the Nitrogen out, and refill it, or is it just disassembling the shock, and sliding on a new bumper? Thanks.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #68859
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
I'll check the BMW resistances and be back shortly...
...Secondary - HT lead to earth - 6k to 13k Ohms
Does the BMW have 2 spark plugs? Measuring from lead too ground sounds like a single plug coil.

Assuming the coil is the problem, It's likely Jay could use an ignition coil from a 80s-90s Japanese four cylinder street bike. Most of those will have similar resistance and dual spark plug leads.
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #68860
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Does the BMW have 2 spark plugs? Measuring from lead too ground sounds like a single plug coil.

Assuming the coil is the problem, It's likely Jay could use an ignition coil from a 80s-90s Japanese four cylinder street bike. Most of those will have similar resistance and dual spark plug leads.
Right on. I'm pretty sure the BMW is a single plug coil.

05-07 had dual spark coils.

A blocked gas tank vent would do the same. Run for several minutes and die...

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I would suspect a fuel problem like you originally did...clogged fuel line, blocked vent, clogged fuel filter, etc.
After the 10 minutes of running, right when the bike dies, immediately pull the plug wires and check for spark on both lines.

Feelers screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 05:56 PM
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #68861
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart
 
TinkerinWstuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Northern Front Range
Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Good day all,
I just noticed that my shock bumper is pretty cracked. How hard is it to change this? I know I need to take the shock off, but do I also need to bleed the Nitrogen out, and refill it, or is it just disassembling the shock, and sliding on a new bumper? Thanks.
Nope. Simple to change. But, depending on your year, the shock probably needs fresh fluid anyway. The viscosity of shock fluid doesn't last forever.
__________________
1999 Suzuki DR650
1998 Honda VFR800 Interceptor
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...KJutW9osVpn3hd
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #68862
dljocky
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Yorktown, Va
Oddometer: 853
Thanks for the reply. The DR is a 2009 model that I bought new in 2010, it has right under 35K miles on it right now. Think a fluid change is due?
Thanks again




Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
Nope. Simple to change. But, depending on your year, the shock probably needs fresh fluid anyway. The viscosity of shock fluid doesn't last forever.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #68863
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 2,131
I did PC's shock upgrade kit at about 7000 miles and was, uh, shocked...at the condition of the fluid. Milky and nasty. Wouldn't hurt to do it since it's out if you have the time and facility.
__________________
www.dualsportmoto.com
2005 DR650 2003 DRZ-250
2013 HD Road King '73 Hodaka Wombat

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #68864
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer
 
planemanx15's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
panniers are the biggest issue for you. they are an aerodynamic brick.
carb mods, better exhaust and stock gearing you can get over 100 mph.
Removed my panniers and speed tested, 88mph up a slight hill. couldn't do much more due to stupid NY traffic. Can't wait to get a 790 kit in!
__________________
2000 Suzuki DR650-790 - 790cc Big bore build thread
1985 Yamaha CA50 - The little scooter that Could
2009 Piaggio BV-250 - Escusi, Babba be bo-bee
planemanx15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #68865
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
So I bugged Laminar about a DR650 specific screen. Hopefully they see the DR650 market as an opportunity.
cool, but what's wrong with the one jeff is selling?
fits great and provides the proper coverage i'd expect.
when riding off-road just pull it off.
what more can they come up with besides a tweak to this?
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe

cee baileys also has 2 great options
http://www.ceebaileys.com/suzuki/dr650z400ws.html
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014