ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #68926
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fire Escape's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Epsom, NH
Oddometer: 1,675
Eek Factory muffler costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
abso-freaking-lutely. i bought a brand new tsukigi titanium gsxr1000 can for $100 shipped. and now, when kientech makes mid-pipes for the hyabusa cans, why would anyone bother w/the ridiculous expense of that? i'd think the gsxr cans would be dropping in price by now. the word on the 'busa cans are that they are at least as good...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270709709713

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330697866097

doug s.

I have to wonder if the number of places instituting new noise level ordinances and inspection proceedures has some riders returning to stock exhaust systems. I hadn't considered ther might be a 'downside' to less noise!


Bruce
__________________
No one calls the Fire Department because they did something smart!
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #68927
dogjaw
plays well alone
 
dogjaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: between the Ozarks and the Ouachitas
Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
abso-freaking-lutely. i bought a brand new tsukigi titanium gsxr1000 can for $100 shipped. and now, when kientech makes mid-pipes for the hyabusa cans, why would anyone bother w/the ridiculous expense of that? i'd think the gsxr cans would be dropping in price by now. the word on the 'busa cans are that they are at least as good...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270709709713

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330697866097

doug s.
I have a complete Busa system listed over in the flea market...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19555055

All you need to mount one up on no time...
__________________
By God, Woodrow; it's been one hell of a party.
dogjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #68928
philp38
Beastly Adventurer
 
philp38's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Decatur TN
Oddometer: 3,256
Before I get blasted..... I honestly have tried to read every thread here and Thumper Talk on carb mods and still can't figure this out. I recently purchased a 2009 DR650 and the surging was driving me crazy. I have drilled the slide, adjusted the air fuel mixture 2 turns out and shimmed the needle with 1 washer then rode the bike and it still surged a bit. I went back and added 1 more washer and still getting surging at 50 to 55 MPH in Th gear. The only thing I haven't done is remove the snorkel. What I have noticed is while riding 55 to 60 if I move the choke lever a little bit the surging stops. That's telling me it needs more fuel or does it need more air (should I remove the snorkel)? Other than that the bike runs and starts perfect. I'm trying to stay away from Jet Kits if possible..
Thanks Phil
__________________
Temple Lodge,No 25.F.& A.M. Winthrop Maine
Paddle faster I hear banjos
philp38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #68929
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Escaped's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 491
For testing purposes, you can remove the side cover and see what happens (or duct tape the side cover opening to let just a little air in).

I rejetted my bike and just left the side cover of for the last 30,000 miles or so - runs great, no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philp38 View Post
Before I get blasted..... I honestly have tried to read every thread here and Thumper Talk on carb mods and still can't figure this out. I recently purchased a 2009 DR650 and the surging was driving me crazy. I have drilled the slide, adjusted the air fuel mixture 2 turns out and shimmed the needle with 1 washer then rode the bike and it still surged a bit. I went back and added 1 more washer and still getting surging at 50 to 55 MPH in Th gear. The only thing I haven't done is remove the snorkel. What I have noticed is while riding 55 to 60 if I move the choke lever a little bit the surging stops. That's telling me it needs more fuel or does it need more air (should I remove the snorkel)? Other than that the bike runs and starts perfect. I'm trying to stay away from Jet Kits if possible..
Thanks Phil
__________________
2006 DR650 55,637 miles
DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #68930
philp38
Beastly Adventurer
 
philp38's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Decatur TN
Oddometer: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
For testing purposes, you can remove the side cover and see what happens (or duct tape the side cover opening to let just a little air in).

I rejetted my bike and just left the side cover of for the last 30,000 miles or so - runs great, no problems.
I'm going for a quick ride and try that out. I'll let you know in 20 mins...Thanks Escaped.
__________________
Temple Lodge,No 25.F.& A.M. Winthrop Maine
Paddle faster I hear banjos
philp38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #68931
philp38
Beastly Adventurer
 
philp38's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Decatur TN
Oddometer: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by philp38 View Post
I'm going for a quick ride and try that out. I'll let you know in 20 mins...Thanks Escaped.
Helll NO. That made it even worse.. Shit....
__________________
Temple Lodge,No 25.F.& A.M. Winthrop Maine
Paddle faster I hear banjos
philp38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #68932
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by philp38 View Post
Before I get blasted..... I honestly have tried to read every thread here and Thumper Talk on carb mods and still can't figure this out. I recently purchased a 2009 DR650 and the surging was driving me crazy. I have drilled the slide, adjusted the air fuel mixture 2 turns out and shimmed the needle with 1 washer then rode the bike and it still surged a bit. I went back and added 1 more washer and still getting surging at 50 to 55 MPH in Th gear. The only thing I haven't done is remove the snorkel. What I have noticed is while riding 55 to 60 if I move the choke lever a little bit the surging stops. That's telling me it needs more fuel or does it need more air (should I remove the snorkel)? Other than that the bike runs and starts perfect. I'm trying to stay away from Jet Kits if possible..
Thanks Phil
Before making any additional mods check the float height and remove the tiny fuel filter hiding in the carb fuel inlet.
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #68933
philp38
Beastly Adventurer
 
philp38's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Decatur TN
Oddometer: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Before making any additional mods check the float height and remove the tiny fuel filter hiding in the carb fuel inlet.

I actually cleaned the screen in the carb fuel inlet. It was a little dirty nothing that bad. I will check the float height.
Thanks procycle.
__________________
Temple Lodge,No 25.F.& A.M. Winthrop Maine
Paddle faster I hear banjos
philp38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #68934
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by philp38 View Post
Before I get blasted..... I honestly have tried to read every thread here and Thumper Talk on carb mods and still can't figure this out. I recently purchased a 2009 DR650 and the surging was driving me crazy. I have drilled the slide, adjusted the air fuel mixture 2 turns out and shimmed the needle with 1 washer then rode the bike and it still surged a bit. I went back and added 1 more washer and still getting surging at 50 to 55 MPH in Th gear. The only thing I haven't done is remove the snorkel. What I have noticed is while riding 55 to 60 if I move the choke lever a little bit the surging stops. That's telling me it needs more fuel or does it need more air (should I remove the snorkel)? Other than that the bike runs and starts perfect. I'm trying to stay away from Jet Kits if possible..
Thanks Phil
An improvement caused by adding some choke shows that you need more fuel. Running worse with an open airbox also shows that you need more fuel. Since adding a washer didn't help enough, try putting in one main jet size larger. If that works, then take out the shims and see if that cures it.

Can someone concisely explain how changing the float height affects the carb's performance? I understand the rest of the carb, just not that.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #68935
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 189
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Thanks for the info on the horn not having an issue.

I was told by a mechanic in Nairobi that I should look into replacing the generator soon, just as a precaution and with Jeff saying that the constant magnetic pulsing wears down the wires in the windings, I think I should replace the pick-up coil in South Africa. Anything else to replace down there, before I head up into more remote lands?

Regarding welding, if I need to weld on the bike, most likely a crack in the pannier frame, I should disconnect and remove the CDI from the bike first? (along with disconnecting battery, of course)

I put the CDI back in and fired up the bike but she died again after running for only 30 seconds or so. I didnt want to fire her up again. I checked pick-up and power source coil and same results as before. Engine hardly got hot, but think I'll wait for the replacement CDI and ignition coil to arrive before firing her up again.
Thanks
By generator, I assume you mean stator? Those normally don't go bad although a broken piece of something bouncing around in there could ruin it. I guess excessive heat cycling might degrade the coating on the wires...
Part of me would want to leave it alone to see if it can complete the trip, but I totally understand trying to be proactive to avoid problems in the middle of nowhere. I'd probably carry a spare stator and pick-up coil as long as I had the ability to fix them in the middle of nowhere.

I don't know a lot about welding, but I've heard of ECUs and CDIs and Regulator/Rectifiers getting damaged by welding currents or frequencies. I would definitely trade five minutes disconnecting them for the peace of mind.

I know you don't want to try to run the bike, but have you ever pulled a spark plug and checked for spark right after the bike died on you?
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #68936
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster
 
Flashback's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Honolulu via Mariana Islands via Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 3,096
Welding emits a lot of current. Always best to disconnect "fragile" electrical components from the bikes electrical system first. That said, I've welded brackets onto my DR without removing anything with zero problems. Just make sure you set up a good welding circuit before applying electricity. Electricity follows the path of least resistance and all that.
__________________
DON'T PANIC

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #68937
wayno
Beastly Adventurer
 
wayno's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: East of KCMO
Oddometer: 6,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
More likely the tires than the lowering - reducing air pressure in tires will help.
made a hell of a difference and cant believe I didn't think of that
Thanks
__________________
RIDE SAFE
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #68938
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,579
Before:


After:
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #68939
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster
 
Flashback's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Honolulu via Mariana Islands via Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 3,096
Yet another DR Carb question

So I've been messing with my stock carb a bit. Did the snorkle removal mod, drilled the slide, shimmed the needle, and clipped the spring.

I was really enjoying the throttle response and the bike worked like a champ until I loaded it down for travel. It even retained gas mileage in the low 50's without extra gear on the bike.

Then I added weight and bags and started running at highway speeds for thousand mile jaunts in the mountains.

It does not run well with all the added gear on it. Consuming way way way too much gas. My gas mileage has dropped into the low 30's and high 20's under load.

I've got a 4.9 gal tank on the bike and I need to get near 200 miles between fill ups with a full load on the bike. Currently filling up or adding the fuel from my MSR bottles around 130 miles. That's just not going to work for travel.

I could continue to mess with the needle and air flow but I'm on the road. I need a solution that works and will keep me on the road on the DR. It's my preferred travel bike but I'm contemplating switching back to the F650 single because it'll maintain 54mpgs fully loaded at 70mph.

Any ideas on the best way I can do to bring fuel consumption back under control other than re-install the snorkle and go back to a stock carb setup?

I need to average at least 45 mpgs at highway speed not the 20's I'm getting now.
__________________
DON'T PANIC


Flashback screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 05:18 PM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #68940
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer
 
planemanx15's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 1,009
Try cleaning the carb, that kind of economy is way low for this bike. Is your choke stuck on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
So I've been messing with my stock carb a bit. Did the snorkle removal mod, drilled the slide, shimmed the needle, and clipped the spring.

I was really enjoying the throttle response and the bike worked like a champ until I loaded it down for travel. It even retained gas mileage in the low 50's without extra gear on the bike.

Then I added weight and bags and started running at highway speeds for thousand mile jaunts in the mountains.

It does not run well with all the added gear on it. Consuming way way way too much gas. My gas mileage has dropped into the low 30's and high 20's under load.

I've got a 4.9 gal tank on the bike and I need to get near 200 miles between fill ups with a full load on the bike. Currently filling up or adding the fuel from my MSR bottles around 130 miles. That's just not going to work for travel.

I could continue to mess with the needle and air flow but I'm on the road. I need a solution that works and will keep me on the road on the DR. It's my preferred travel bike but I'm contemplating switching back to the F650 single because it'll maintain 54mpgs fully loaded at 70mph.

Any ideas on the best way I can do to bring fuel consumption back under control other than re-install the snorkle and go back to a stock carb setup?

I need to average at least 45 mpgs at highway speed not the 20's I'm getting now.
__________________
2000 Suzuki DR650-790 - 790cc Big bore build thread
1985 Yamaha CA50 - The little scooter that Could
2009 Piaggio BV-250 - Escusi, Babba be bo-bee
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015