User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #68926
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
R_r

I had to chop a piece out to make it all fit. Works well and have had zero issues. I just mocked it up, scribed a line where I needed to get rid of some thickness and cut away. The nice machining probably helps to hold it in place, too. Sorry I don't have a pic of it finished but the mount goes under the PMB rack support.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #68927
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Thanks TrophyHunter.

That's really the only option I was seeing. And was looking for confirmation before I started hacking away.

Thanks again.

Rainier_runner
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #68928
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
This is getting nuts. http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-GSXR-1000...item3a7974db59
Old 09-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #68929
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Damn! Getting to the price of an aftermarket system! Did I read on here someone tried the TL1000R pipe? Was curious how it worked out.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #68930
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Wow, much more, and I'll sell mine!
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #68931
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Damn! Getting to the price of an aftermarket system! Did I read on here someone tried the TL1000R pipe? Was curious how it worked out.
I'm running the TL1000 pipe though I'm not sure if it's an R or S pipe, it seems to work ok

Fitted to my '05, crappy shot.

Fitted to my '99

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #68932
Tyrepower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Wow, much more, and I'll sell mine!
From Ebay UK ranging in price from $25 us to $200 us however the last one is brand new still in it's original wrapping!
Cheers Richo. Dont forget fella's your country sent a man to the Moon, sure as hell you can arrange postage from England!!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSX...item3f1bfb4e68
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSX...item3a7966d06c
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSXR-1000c...item1c2b2f7f86
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSXR-1000-K1-2-Exhaust-Silencer-Muffler-End-Can-14310-40F00-H01-/110943108613?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19d4b97e05

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my bikes for what I "told her" they cost!!!

It's all good fun until someone gets hurt......... then it's hilarious!!!
Tyrepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #68933
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Oil filter bypass

Why not cut the crimp the manufacture used to connect the hose to the fitting on the motor? The fitting should have a ridge to prevent the hose from blowing off and it would be smooth as not to chafe the inside of the hose. Plus no chance of metal filings getting in your motor if you cut that metal line. No, I have never done this on the DR, but I would improvise with a sawzall blade by hand. You could get one in town and it is more ridgid than a hacksaw blade. Would it be a good idea to wrap the hose with aluminum foil like from a takeout food tray or part of a beer can, to act as a heat shield in addition to as was said before wiring it to prevent contact. Yea,redneck engineering.

wee-twin screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 01:06 PM Reason: More ideas
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #68934
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
I'm not Jeff, but the air horn and accessory plug should have no effect on the generator. If it bothered anything, it would likely be the battery. I expect that the horn is only used intermittently anyway.

I think the only damage that could be caused by the CDI would be to melt the ignition coil since you say it is getting quite hot anyway. But, since it has gone though several heat cycles, it can probably take it.
I would probably put the cdi in and fire up the bike one more time though. Then, test the ignition coil and the cdi while they are hot.

I would bet that the welding on the bike is what caused the CDI problem - and not the slow heat riding.

But anyway, how come you are planning on replacing the whole generator assembly? Do you have a dead battery problem, or evidence of decreased charging ability? Just curious.
Thanks for the info on the horn not having an issue.

I was told by a mechanic in Nairobi that I should look into replacing the generator soon, just as a precaution and with Jeff saying that the constant magnetic pulsing wears down the wires in the windings, I think I should replace the pick-up coil in South Africa. Anything else to replace down there, before I head up into more remote lands?

Regarding welding, if I need to weld on the bike, most likely a crack in the pannier frame, I should disconnect and remove the CDI from the bike first? (along with disconnecting battery, of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Yes, if it isn't too much trouble put put the bike back together enough to run it and then test resistance on the pulse and charge coils immediately when the ignition fails. Leave the side covers off and the seat bolts out so you can get to the connector as quickly as possible. The key is to do the testing while it is failing - not when it would otherwise start and run.

If the CDI really is the problem it won't hurt anything to run it some more.
I put the CDI back in and fired up the bike but she died again after running for only 30 seconds or so. I didnt want to fire her up again. I checked pick-up and power source coil and same results as before. Engine hardly got hot, but think I'll wait for the replacement CDI and ignition coil to arrive before firing her up again.
Thanks

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #68935
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
abso-freaking-lutely. i bought a brand new tsukigi titanium gsxr1000 can for $100 shipped. and now, when kientech makes mid-pipes for the hyabusa cans, why would anyone bother w/the ridiculous expense of that? i'd think the gsxr cans would be dropping in price by now. the word on the 'busa cans are that they are at least as good...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270709709713

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330697866097

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #68936
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,543
Eek Factory muffler costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
abso-freaking-lutely. i bought a brand new tsukigi titanium gsxr1000 can for $100 shipped. and now, when kientech makes mid-pipes for the hyabusa cans, why would anyone bother w/the ridiculous expense of that? i'd think the gsxr cans would be dropping in price by now. the word on the 'busa cans are that they are at least as good...

doug s.

I have to wonder if the number of places instituting new noise level ordinances and inspection proceedures has some riders returning to stock exhaust systems. I hadn't considered ther might be a 'downside' to less noise!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #68937
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post

doug s.
I have a complete Busa system listed over in the flea market...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19555055

All you need to mount one up on no time...
Old 09-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #68938
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,231
Before I get blasted..... I honestly have tried to read every thread here and Thumper Talk on carb mods and still can't figure this out. I recently purchased a 2009 DR650 and the surging was driving me crazy. I have drilled the slide, adjusted the air fuel mixture 2 turns out and shimmed the needle with 1 washer then rode the bike and it still surged a bit. I went back and added 1 more washer and still getting surging at 50 to 55 MPH in Th gear. The only thing I haven't done is remove the snorkel. What I have noticed is while riding 55 to 60 if I move the choke lever a little bit the surging stops. That's telling me it needs more fuel or does it need more air (should I remove the snorkel)? Other than that the bike runs and starts perfect. I'm trying to stay away from Jet Kits if possible..
Thanks Phil
Old 09-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #68939
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
For testing purposes, you can remove the side cover and see what happens (or duct tape the side cover opening to let just a little air in).

I rejetted my bike and just left the side cover of for the last 30,000 miles or so - runs great, no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philp38 View Post
Before I get blasted..... I honestly have tried to read every thread here and Thumper Talk on carb mods and still can't figure this out. I recently purchased a 2009 DR650 and the surging was driving me crazy. I have drilled the slide, adjusted the air fuel mixture 2 turns out and shimmed the needle with 1 washer then rode the bike and it still surged a bit. I went back and added 1 more washer and still getting surging at 50 to 55 MPH in Th gear. The only thing I haven't done is remove the snorkel. What I have noticed is while riding 55 to 60 if I move the choke lever a little bit the surging stops. That's telling me it needs more fuel or does it need more air (should I remove the snorkel)? Other than that the bike runs and starts perfect. I'm trying to stay away from Jet Kits if possible..
Thanks Phil

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #68940
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
For testing purposes, you can remove the side cover and see what happens (or duct tape the side cover opening to let just a little air in).

I rejetted my bike and just left the side cover of for the last 30,000 miles or so - runs great, no problems.
I'm going for a quick ride and try that out. I'll let you know in 20 mins...Thanks Escaped.