Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #69196
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
Welcome back Russ. When I was out west a couple of weeks ago, I was wishing I was on my DR650 on a particularly long (over 80 miles) set of twisties, instead of the 600lb+ pig I was on. While the GPZ was great on the long boring stretches of road, the DR650 is my weapon of choice when things get really twisty. Sounds like you had fun.
It was fine in the twisties, it was the long slab rides on the interstate that made me want something else really. Maybe a motard set up would've turned better. The Dragon was really fun on my DR. Kind of like the Hammer Run in So. Jersey, 'cept on tar.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #69197
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Full Synthetic - every 3 to 4 thousand miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I hope people don't hate me too much for posting this... but how OFTEN do you change the oil in your DR? I don't care to start a, "what oil is best" debate; I already have a brand that I use and I will stick with it (all I will say is that it's synthetic)... but how often, as in miles, do you tend to go?

I've been going 2000 miles per change, given that the motor is air-cooled and only holds two quarts. I wonder if this is about right, or if it can go longer, especially on synthetic? I just happened to look at the odometer today (I'm at 24,035 miles) and I checked my oil change log, and last time was 22,235. So I either will go to 24,500, or maybe round it up to 25k because I like even numbers.

Thoughts?

Rob

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #69198
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I want a DR650. MrsDonkeys wants a dual-sport that we can both ride. Not 2 up, but both pilot. The problem is that she is 5'1" tall.
Seat height is not the only relevant metric one needs to consider; the width of the seat, as well as the weight of the bike (both overall weight and distribution) are equally important.

A wider seat will make it more difficult for your feet to reach the ground, so a wider bike will seem taller than a narrower bike with the same seat height.

A heavier bike, or a bike that is top heavy, will seem a lot more unstable when stationary, necessitating a more upright bike position in order to prevent tip-overs, which translates to a bike that is more difficult to handle.

For instance, I have a 30" inseam and I am much more comfortable on my KTM 200 with a seat height of 37" than I am on the DR with a stock seat height of 35".

Or, for a more extreme comparison, measure the seat height on your bicycle; you'll be surprised at how tall it is (mine is 38"), yet you have no problem controlling it.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #69199
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
The XT is on the shopping list as well, however, at 31.9", it isn't much shorter than the 33" of the DR650. The DR adds the advantage of highway speeds and long distance comfort.

I truly don't know the importance of ground clearance because I've never owned anything with any sort of ground clearance. I (we) have a tendency to just bash the hell out of whatever we have. The rails of my Bonnie have seen more action than my Jeep. Hence the dive into a possible dual-sport. We don't off-road hardcore, but once we turn down a road, we're riding it until complete, no matter what it looks like.
Having actually ridden a DR650 lowered to about 30" or 31" height, I can assure you ... ground clearance is still not bad. You WILL have to shorten the side stand (as mentioned) but even at 30" its capable of mild sporty riding and decent lean angle.

The woman who bought this particular DR ended up keeping it for at least several years. She seemed to do fine and we never heard of any handling problems when she brought the bike in for periodic service.

I've also ridden (a long distance) a XT225 Serow. I am not a fan of this bike. Power is truly pathetic. The DR650 trumps it in every way I can think of ... except picking it up from the ground.

Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #69200
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
So I'm still pretty noob at this. Is that the one with like 5 rows of teeth, or is it the one that only has one row of teeth?
Probably #3. Since you nicked the gasket surface, you could use an RTV sealant when you reassemble, for insurance.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 02:54 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #69201
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Once again, exactly what I needed. Thanks! I've still got some clear high temp RTV sealant that I used to seal up the leaky base gasket area. Oddly enough, I've also used it to fix a hookah, but that's a whole other thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Probably #3. Since you nicked the gasket surface, you could use an RTV sealant when you reassemble, for insurance.

"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #69202
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I've also ridden (a long distance) a XT225 Serow. I am not a fan of this bike. Power is truly pathetic. The DR650 trumps it in every way I can think of ... except picking it up from the ground.

Good luck!
That light weight makes it a lot easier to flick around and avoid the falls when in rough terrain (at least for me).
No doubt an expert dirt rider (which I am not) can make the DR or just about any bike look great in the dirt.

The DR is a better road bike by far. I avoid riding the XT on the freeway if I can, I usually just trailer it if going very far. It can do it, but it just seems like a lot for the little motor and not something I enjoy.

The XT is a pretty fair trail bike for moderate riding. There are times a little more power might be nice, but overall I have really enjoyed my XT off road and the power really hasn't been an issue, but then I ride pretty mild off road..
Stock it will do an indicated 75 to 80mph (if you want to wind it up that hard), and of course it can be geared down for off road if you like.

It is all about your skill level and how you intend to ride. The XT is not a hardcore dirt bike and will show its weakness pretty quick if you press it hard. If used for what it was designed for it will last a long time.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #69203
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I hope people don't hate me too much for posting this... but how OFTEN do you change the oil in your DR? I don't care to start a, "what oil is best" debate; I already have a brand that I use and I will stick with it (all I will say is that it's synthetic)... but how often, as in miles, do you tend to go?

I've been going 2000 miles per change, given that the motor is air-cooled and only holds two quarts. I wonder if this is about right, or if it can go longer, especially on synthetic? I just happened to look at the odometer today (I'm at 24,035 miles) and I checked my oil change log, and last time was 22,235. So I either will go to 24,500, or maybe round it up to 25k because I like even numbers.

Thoughts?

Rob
For me it really depends on where I have been riding. Lots of dirt and water...closer to 2000-2500. Road riding: 3000-4000. I also keep an eye on the oil color. If I see it getting dark I just go ahead and change it. I think I have around 18K miles on the DR now and the oil looks the same as it did the first oil change.

My street bikes are all full syn. (Motul 10-40) and changed 3500 miles on the dot. I gotta admit I am a little more slack with the DR. Most of the time I run standard oil unless I know the temps are going to be 95 and up or I will be doing a lot of sand riding then synth. I know some guys are cringing me switching back and forth..but in all honesty..I don't care...it's a DR: put oil in it and ride it.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #69204
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I know some guys are cringing me switching back and forth..but in all honesty..I don't care...it's a DR: put oil in it and ride it.
Nothing wrong with switching back and forth. Modern synth is 100% compatible with dino.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #69205
neo1piv014
ADV in training

So I have a question about the Procycle gasket for the DR650 side cover - how in the hell do I put it on? As you can see in the picture....

... there's two places where the gasket would have to be cut away or something just to get the wiring through. I tried slipping the stator and wiring assembly before putting the gasket on, but they wouldn't fit. I'm assuming this thing is supposed to go on before anything else, but since the original gasket disintegrated, I couldn't see how it was put in place. Any advice?
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
Old 09-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #69206
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I'm assuming this thing is supposed to go on before anything else,
The gasket goes on last. It's a lot easier to put it on the crankcase (engine side). Put the dowel pins in the crankcase and they will hold the gasket in place.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #69207
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
The abuse I put it through over the weekend more than likely shortened the, ahem, interval.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #69208
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The gasket goes on last. It's a lot easier to put it on the crankcase (engine side). Put the dowel pins in the crankcase and they will hold the gasket in place.
Dowel pins? Do you mean the bolts? Here's what I don't get though, how do you get the stator through that small first hole? My wiring is all one solid piece,so it isn't as though I can disconnect everything to run the wires.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #69209
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
I'm sure this has been asked before, but searching through 4625 pages has yielded me no specifics so here goes.

I want a DR650. MrsDonkeys wants a dual-sport that we can both ride. Not 2 up, but both pilot. The problem is that she is 5'1" tall.

I'm seeing lowering links online for up to 4". For her to ride, we would need a target seat height of no more than 31". So for your experienced DR guys, how do the lowering links equate to seat height? Does a 4" drop get the seat height down below 31"?
I'd try the factory lowering for front and rear, then call Seat Concepts about a lower piece of comfier seat foam.

If that's not low enough, try 1" lowering links in the rear and then slide the forks up in the clamps. I wouldn't put the suspension any lower than this without having (expensive) custom work done on the forks and shock.

You'll also want a shorter/adjustable sidestand, and make sure you have a skidplate.

You don't mention your inseams, or YOUR height. You may want to lower the rider pegs, for more legroom, with the lower seatfoam. I also like having lower passenger pegs to put my feet back, and touring pegs to put my feet forward. Having multiple positions to move my feet around to lets me eat serious mileage in relative comfort.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #69210
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,913
The price and availability of parts had nothing to do with my choosing this bike, but they are great perks... And I take this opportunity to show off my new 19" front wheel, can't wait for it to dry out tomorrow so I can scrub her in