Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #69241
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,959
Dogjaw. My prediction is you'll LOVE the 19. I borrowed an ADV set of wheels and had a great time with the fat little 19. It inspired confidence and stupidity all at the same time. I'm not a canyon carving nut but the thing stuck so hard in the corners, I was able to push the envelope. Even going in a little hot, I was able to just keep leaning with the constant "keep the throttle steady" repeating in my brain.

I have a second wheelset with Shinko 705's on 'em so I'll evenutally add the 19 to my choices.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #69242
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,822
What tire where you running on your 19"? I was running the 700 on my 21, they stuck so well I figured I couldn't go wrong with the 705's... I'm going to go carve it up tomorrow; I do have concern about how far off my speedo will be, going to check it with my GPS.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #69243
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
My 04f0 arrived today. I have to say, it's pretty sexy.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #69244
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Alright ladies and gentlemen... on tonight's episode of "Isaac the Wonder Mechanic," I got the gasket in place, got the side cover on, got the bolts tightened, and put a light coating of RTV sealant around the edge. With that all looking good, I decided to go ahead and put the fuel tank, seat, and side panels on so it would at least look like a motorcycle again while I waited for the sealant to cure for 24 hours. I ran into yet another difficulty, however. Is there some kind of trick to getting the damn fuel tank back on I've got the pucks all the way back in the little U shaped depressions, got the tank pressed up against that plastic shield thing, but the holes for the screws simply refuse to line up. I've tried pulling up on the tank to verify that the pucks are correctly in the spaces allotted for them, and I can't seem to find anything that it's hitting that would stop it.
And here's the holes not lined up:

I've taken the black grommets out just so you could actually see where the screws are supposed to go here. I'm assuming there's just a knack that I'm lacking, but I've killed about 30 minutes out in the garage trying to put the dang tank back on. Thanks again, and I'm sure I owe someone about 30 beers by now
Beer?? There's beer?!?!
Is that an IMS tank? I think you're supposed to remove that plastic shield? You are really close to the bolts lining up. Soap up the pucks like you're mounting a tire, everything should slip into place. As close as you are, I'd use a little persuasion. (Don't get stoopid and ruin your tank)

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 07:13 PM Reason: Removed 2 pics
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:55 AM   #69245
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Isaac,

How'd this work out? I'm with ER70S-2, the black plastic shield definitely needs to go.

Sarah
Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #69246
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Isaac,

How'd this work out? I'm with ER70S-2, the black plastic shield definitely needs to go.
Ditto on both our IMS tanks. Plastic shield is no longer on our bikes.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #69247
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,146
Besides removing that black shield as already mentioned lining the holes up is the same as the Safari tank.
See that steel bracket with the lip under the rear of the tank.
If you use something like a ring spanner with the ring end in front of the the lip of the bracket,levering the tank forward will be easy to start the bolts.
Just remember those are only M6 threads in the frame,you want to make sure the bolts start easy to avoid cross threading etc.

Quote:

49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:14 AM   #69248
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,280
plastic shields

Quote:
Alright ladies and gentlemen... on tonight's episode of "Isaac the Wonder Mechanic," I got the gasket in place, got the side cover on, got the bolts tightened, and put a light coating of RTV sealant around the edge. With that all looking good, I decided to go ahead and put the fuel tank, seat, and side panels on so it would at least look like a motorcycle again while I waited for the sealant to cure for 24 hours. I ran into yet another difficulty, however. Is there some kind of trick to getting the damn fuel tank back on I've got the pucks all the way back in the little U shaped depressions, got the tank pressed up against that plastic shield thing, but the holes for the screws simply refuse to line up. I've tried pulling up on the tank to verify that the pucks are correctly in the spaces allotted for them, and I can't seem to find anything that it's hitting that would stop it.
Here it is, fully up against the plastic shield bit.

I've taken the black grommets out just so you could actually see where the screws are supposed to go here. I'm assuming there's just a knack that I'm lacking, but I've killed about 30 minutes out in the garage trying to put the dang tank back on. Thanks again, and I'm sure I owe someone about 30 beers by now
Yep, get rid of those plastic shields. They are only there for looks with the steel tank. I have never run the plastic shields with my IMS tank and have never had any issue with holes lining up. just a wiggle and a jiggle and bolt 'em up.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:30 AM   #69249
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
this thread is funkyier than I thought it is

________
your wolrd point of view is suddenly wildened by a mindfully (of joke)
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #69250
Mike_drz
Banned

Talking

but I am still far from satisfy

________
holy shit @#$%^^ god typo of craps
Old 09-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #69251
Mike_drz
Banned

I am a hiden french,

____
damn, I am poor (two more post before this others can't see) be careful everyone

Mike_drz screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 12:38 PM
Old 09-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #69252
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
My 04f0 arrived today. I have to say, it's pretty sexy.
Just wait until you hear her speak!!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #69253
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzajohnson View Post
Yep, get rid of those plastic shields. They are only there for looks with the steel tank. I have never run the plastic shields with my IMS tank and have never had any issue with holes lining up. just a wiggle and a jiggle and bolt 'em up.
That must be it then. I'll unbolt those once I get home.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #69254
maynard911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
What tire where you running on your 19"? I was running the 700 on my 21, they stuck so well I figured I couldn't go wrong with the 705's... I'm going to go carve it up tomorrow; I do have concern about how far off my speedo will be, going to check it with my GPS.
The speedo will be too far off to be of much use. You can get a drive from Procycle for a 17" but not a 19". I removed the stock speedo and installed a cheap bicycle speedo that I had sitting around. It works good but there is no light for after dark. Next farklefest I will get a Vapor or something similar.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #69255
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post

It looked like he was running on 705's actually. Gotta say, I've been nothing but impressed with those tires since I spooned them on my 21/17 stock wheels. I can imagine they'd be that much better on 19/17 tires.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote