Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #69256
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Beer?? There's beer?!?!
Is that an IMS tank? I think you're supposed to remove that plastic shield? You are really close to the bolts lining up. Soap up the pucks like you're mounting a tire, everything should slip into place. As close as you are, I'd use a little persuasion. (Don't get stoopid and ruin your tank)

Beer has been the standardized form of payment any time I've ever done mechanical work with friends.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #69257
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I just had the gsxr1000 "40F0" muffler installed on my '98 DR650 today, using a custom fabricated mid-pipe. I'm not a fan of loud exhausts, the purpose was to save some weight, but this thing sounds amazing, not too loud and not too quiet either.

With the new pipe I noticed a significant drop in the level of vibrations at normal operation RPMs. From my point of view this is more than welcome, the bike is much smoother now, but I'm trying to understand why did the vibration levels drop? Is there a logical explanation to this? Did anyone experience the same after changing the muffler?
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #69258
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
What tire where you running on your 19"? I was running the 700 on my 21, they stuck so well I figured I couldn't go wrong with the 705's... I'm going to go carve it up tomorrow; I do have concern about how far off my speedo will be, going to check it with my GPS.
Butting in here . . . I have been using a 19 X 2.5 for a few weeks and am delighted. Since I got the wheel for mainly street/commuting I'm running a Pirelli Scorpion Trail 100/90-19 with a Pirelli MT90A/T stock size on back (I believe this configuration is called a reverse mullet). The 2.5 in. front will take a larger 110/80 but works well with the 100/90 and allows use of all the side tread for really planted feel at full lean (and almost no chicken strips visible).

The speedo, checked with GPS, is out almost exactly 10% at most speeds and I can live with that as it is an easy calculation, i.e. 50MPH indicated = 50-5 = 45MPH true. I've also been toying with the idea of making a corrected stick-on scale for the speedo and see no need to go to a Vapor.

I intend to keep my 21 in. front and mount a more aggressive tire for dirt rides - takes about 10 min. to change out since both wheels have disks mounted.

acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #69259
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Just wait until you hear her speak!!
Yeah, it is super light and far better made than the FMF I pulled off. The FMF is like a toy by comparison. Then again, a new 40f0 from Suzuki is something like $650 so it's a we bit better made than the FMF just on price.

Hopefully I can keep from denting it as I did the stocker over the weekend.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #69260
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
Butting in here . . . I have been using a 19 X 2.5 for a few weeks and am delighted. Since I got the wheel for mainly street/commuting I'm running a Pirelli Scorpion Trail 100/90-19 with a Pirelli MT90A/T stock size on back (I believe this configuration is called a reverse mullet). The 2.5 in. front will take a larger 110/80 but works well with the 100/90 and allows use of all the side tread for really planted feel at full lean (and almost no chicken strips visible).

The speedo, checked with GPS, is out almost exactly 10% at most speeds and I can live with that as it is an easy calculation, i.e. 50MPH indicated = 50-5 = 45MPH true. I've also been toying with the idea of making a corrected stick-on scale for the speedo and see no need to go to a Vapor.

I intend to keep my 21 in. front and mount a more aggressive tire for dirt rides - takes about 10 min. to change out since both wheels have disks mounted.

Just got back off if my maiden voyage in the 19" with a 705; I am completely blown away. I rode a flooded out muddy trail with no problem, then hit some twisties as hard as I ever have on my 919... Now I see why the 19" is spec'd on so many ADV bikes, the best of both worlds.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #69261
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,912
As previously noted, the speedo was off by 10 mph above 50, 5 mph below 50... I'm sure that there may be a little more difference above 80, but I spend so little time there I'm not too concerned with it. I plan on making small labels to stick on the dial just for kicks, but it should be easy to keep track of without them.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #69262
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Just got back off if my maiden voyage in the 19" with a 705; I am completely blown away. I rode a flooded out muddy trail with no problem, then hit some twisties as hard as I ever have on my 919... Now I see why the 19" is spec'd on so many ADV bikes, the best of both worlds.
I also have hit some unpaved roads since going to the 19 and it held up well even with the street rubber. Now if anyone wants to try a knobby on their 19 I have put a Kenda BigBlock on FM - it came on my 19 but I still have a 21 that I will use with a more aggressive tire for dedicated dirt rides.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #69263
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
dogjaw - the set I borrowed had the Pirelli Scorpion as pictured above. When I get my 19, I'll put a 705 on it since I already have an extra stock rear with one mounted up.

I see you had the same reaction I did.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #69264
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
So after what feels like a year without my bike running, I finally got the last bits bolted onto the bike this evening with the help of my old riding buddy. She grumbled for a second and then fired right up like nothing had ever happened. I think it might have even sounded a wee bit better than before because of the fresh oil and slightly cleaned carb. Massive thanks to everyone on here who helped me diagnose the issue and helped me sort out fixing it. Also, huge thanks to Procycle for helping me source the parts. Now...back to farkling.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #69265
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
So after what feels like a year without my bike running, I finally got the last bits bolted onto the bike this evening with the help of my old riding buddy. She grumbled for a second and then fired right up like nothing had ever happened. I think it might have even sounded a wee bit better than before because of the fresh oil and slightly cleaned carb. Massive thanks to everyone on here who helped me diagnose the issue and helped me sort out fixing it. Also, huge thanks to Procycle for helping me source the parts. Now...back to farkling.
congrats!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #69266
iamjacksmotorcycle
rambler/gambler

Oddometer: 10
Fork Spring

Can one of you more knowledgeable inmates tell from the photos if what ive got here? are these stock springs or are they progressive? I got them in a box o parts that came with my doctor650 and wanna know if these are the progressives or if they are in the bike. Thanks much

1975 BMW R60/6
1965 Jawa Sidecar
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
2002 Suzuki DR650
iamjacksmotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #69267
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacksmotorcycle View Post
Can one of you more knowledgeable inmates tell from the photos if what ive got here? are these stock springs or are they progressive? I got them in a box o parts that came with my doctor650 and wanna know if these are the progressives or if they are in the bike. Thanks much

They appear to be the stock springs, stock springs are progressive. You also have the stock spacers, as well as a length of pvc pipe to make spacers for aftermarket springs. I'm guessing that whatever brand and rate that is on that box is what you have installed on your DR650.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #69268
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Stock Spacers

I can't judge the springs but those sure look like the 6 pound stock spacers sitting in the box. It would seem unlikely that someone swapped spacers but not springs but.....

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #69269
iamjacksmotorcycle
rambler/gambler

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
They appear to be the stock springs, stock springs are progressive. You also have the stock spacers, as well as a length of pvc pipe to make spacers for aftermarket springs. I'm guessing that whatever brand and rate that is on that box is what you have installed on your DR650.
This is the box...

Think thats what they are? or thats whats in the bike and these are the stock ones?

1975 BMW R60/6
1965 Jawa Sidecar
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
2002 Suzuki DR650
iamjacksmotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #69270
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I can't judge the springs but those sure look like the 6 pound stock spacers sitting in the box. It would seem unlikely that someone swapped spacers but not springs but.....

Bruce
I agree with these two 'inmates'. Those look like the stock spacers which implies they are also the stock springs.

What came in the box has probably been installed in your forks. Both of my aftermarket spring boxes have the spring rate on the box. Even though the box says Progressive, that may just be the mfr's name and the springs could still be straight wound. Again, look for the tag on the box, identifying the contents. If the springs in your forks are progressive wound, they'll look just like the pair you have there, tight coils on one end. FWIW: the tight coils go UP. ^

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote