Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #69286
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,503
I decided it would be much quicker to just ask. Im wondering if anyone has a good source for engine parts for the 95' other than a local shop.

I found the best online prices at PartsPitStop.com
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #69287
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
I decided it would be much quicker to just ask. Im wondering if anyone has a good source for engine parts for the 95' other than a local shop
There are very few '95 owners hanging around here. You would be better off to ask over at the 90-95 DR650 thread
--> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61568
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #69288
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
How much would any of you expect to pay an independent (not stealership) shop to perform the factory lowering procedure? By the book, not the shortcut method. I just would like to go in with some sort of general number.

I have a bit over 1.5k on the ol' DR and I have found that my confidence on the bike isn't what I expected. All the other bikes I have owned had considerably shorter saddle height, I already have the "low" seat, hopefully this will do it.
imprezagm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #69289
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,468
I would expect to pay $65.00 - $100

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #69290
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezagm4 View Post
How much would any of you expect to pay an independent (not stealership) shop to perform the factory lowering procedure? By the book, not the shortcut method. I just would like to go in with some sort of general number.

I have a bit over 1.5k on the ol' DR and I have found that my confidence on the bike isn't what I expected. All the other bikes I have owned had considerably shorter saddle height, I already have the "low" seat, hopefully this will do it.
Unless they are really familiar with the DR I would expect them to charge you a couple of hours labor. Maybe $150 or so at the most.
My bigger concern would be to make sure they have the manual and know that is how you want it done. You would be surprised how many dealers are not even aware of the proper procedure.

When I first bought mine I was looking into getting a price from them as part of the deal, and they insisted it wasn't possible. I finally had them drag a manual out to convince them. I didn't have them do it.

Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #69291
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

I think you could figure on about 2 hours of labor (+ fork oil) just to lower the forks and almost another hour to do the shock. You'll also need the shorter side stand ($55). I'm guessing closer to $225-$250 for everything.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #69292
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Thanks for those numbers! That definitely helps.
imprezagm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #69293
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezagm4 View Post

I have a manual and a killer set of tools. Ride out to my place some weekend and I'll do it for a pizza or two.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #69294
Collarbone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Rear Brake

Anyone have the torque specs for the rear brake rotor ,Thanks in advance.
Collarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #69295
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collarbone View Post
Anyone have the torque specs for the rear brake rotor ,Thanks in advance.
16.5 ft-lbs. manual also says to use thread locker.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #69296
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
I think you could figure on about 2 hours of labor (+ fork oil) just to lower the forks and almost another hour to do the shock. You'll also need the shorter side stand ($55). I'm guessing closer to $225-$250 for everything.
Good catch on the side stand. You must do this for a living or something .

Thanks in general for checking in here!

Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #69297
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Is there some special knack to getting the bike up on a stand? I've got a stand like the one below but in the low position it is still too tall to slide under the sump. It's a good inch or two too high, bike is standard, not lowered or anything. The stand has a rubber top to it which makes sliding the bike on from the side very difficult. Is there a knack to this or do I just need to man up and wrestle beast onto it or am I missing something?

Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #69298
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
Is there some special knack to getting the bike up on a stand? I've got a stand like the one below but in the low position it is still too tall to slide under the sump. It's a good inch or two too high, bike is standard, not lowered or anything. The stand has a rubber top to it which makes sliding the bike on from the side very difficult. Is there a knack to this or do I just need to man up and wrestle beast onto it or am I missing something?
The only thing you are missing is more ground clearance. Those stands are made for motocross bikes which have several inches more clearance between the frame and the ground. About the only way to make that stand work for the DR would be to shorten it enough to easily slide under the bike.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #69299
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The only thing you are missing is more ground clearance. Those stands are made for motocross bikes which have several inches more clearance between the frame and the ground. About the only way to make that stand work for the DR would be to shorten it enough to easily slide under the bike.
OK, thanks. Yes, I think I'm going to have to make some sort of ramp to back up and then remove after it's on the stand. Thinking about this now I'm wondering if I angle the stand at 45 degrees towards the engine I can push the bike forward onto it. Thanks.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #69300
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
[/IMG]
Push the bike up onto two pieces of wood - one under the front tire and one under the rear tire. Use whatever size you need to get the bike high enough to slide that stand under!
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote