Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #69391
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
In my opinion, the DR subframe is pretty tough. We have just finished the Trans America Trail 2 up with gear. That's a lot of continuos pounding, 5000 Miles. No problems.

Two-up? On a DR? With gear? I am seriously impressed. Good on ya both.

Thanks for visiting our peninsula.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #69392
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Oh no you didn't!! ... This, like oil, is one of the most debated threads on ADVRider. There is absolutely no definite answer. You have to make a personal choice about how much you trust your fellow man vs how ready are your to suffer a broken leg off road. Factor in the additional weight of hard luggage off road vs the ability of soft luggage to absorb low speed damage. Then consider how easy it is to break into either form of luggage: soft luggage takes 5+ seconds, while hard luggage takes 10+ seconds. I feel better about dealing with aduanas at a border with locked hard luggage, but that's about 1% of the total trip. For the rest of the trip you want soft luggage for weight and traffic splitting considerations. Yet soft luggage will always have you looking over your back....

Perhaps the best solution is both. A lockable hard topbox that contains your valuables and soft luggage that contains your dirty laundry. The really irreplaceable stuff goes in a removable tank bag that goes with you though the border crossings....

I'm leaving for SA in about a month. I have a full set of both. I'm still in limbo. I'll likely flip a coin and go with it the week before I leave. Ymmv.

FB
Check these panniers out. http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...-panniers.html
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #69393
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,427
Eeek! 350 ??? Jibeezus! That's some pretty spendy soft panniers. Nearly $600 USD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #69394
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Hey gang, Im a NOOB DR650 owner and have noticed at least 6-8 rear top rack options. Im thinking I like the Wolfman top rack, but I was wondering what you guys/gals have liked. I like the smaller styles, but I would like to be able to carrry a dry duffel on the rear.

Thanks,

Greg.
My DR had a Suzuki rack on it when I got it - seems well made, solidly mounted, and big enough IMO.

Have a look at the Giant Loop options - no racks so less weight and can be moved to any other trail bike. I strap a 25L dry bag on top for sleeping gear and clothes, and have room on the rack for a 5L fuel can. It forces you to pack light but that's a good thing - plenty of inspiration over at the small bike camping setup thread.

Here's my DR prepped for a 5 day trip (food/water available daily with fuel)

My bike came with an IMS tank, but if I was starting from scratch I'd fit a Safari tank so no need for the 5L fuel can, and possibly fit a Wolfman tool bag on the rear guard (fender) for smaller bits and pieces for day trips - so no racks at all.
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #69395
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
If you are worried about theft just get the armoured mesh for the soft luggage.
The armored mesh you refer to-- as a backpacker, I'd occasionally run into some Japanese fellows who had a sort of expanding mesh netting that would fit around their rucksacks. Is this the armored mesh you are speaking of? If I remember correctly, one guy was robbed in Ethiopia because the wire was compromised with some simple small metal snips. I suppose every bit is a deterrent, but as somebody who loves his Wolfman luggage, security (or the lack thereof) has always been on my mind for a long haul(or when parked anywhere for that matter). Ah, and if you have a link I'd appreciate it! Cheers!
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #69396
AJxr

Oddometer: 927
mr dr has been acting up lately.

all maintainance is up to date, as it always was.

has hard starting, especially when outside temperature is in the 50s-60s, and when i do get it started i got a smell like some insulation is burning almost like the muffler has collapsed inside or something. after i get the bike running and it warms it up it starts fine. it isnt a rocket but i cant really notice any power loss anywhere.

i will be checking the valves tomorrow. they were perfect at 10k miles. now i am up to almost 16k miles. anything else i should be looking into?

What would Magoo do?
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #69397
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,165
Make sure the choke cable is sliding freely in and out, some get sticky. Also make sure the plastic nut isn't broken.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #69398
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,915
http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index...69#entry133769

My son Dave and I got some miles in today. Good times.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #69399
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 590
+1 Extremely great advice. I just returned from two years in Central America, Have made several moto trips there. Finally I desided on soft side and hard top box. I use Neson Riggs CL850 sides and a Bestem top box. Home fabricated side bag mounts. Worked great for the last two year travels in Central America. Headed back to Mexico in January and will be using same soft side bags and hard lockable top box. Carrying tank bag is also a great idea. I do that also.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Oh no you didn't!! ... This, like oil, is one of the most debated threads on ADVRider. There is absolutely no definite answer. You have to make a personal choice about how much you trust your fellow man vs how ready are your to suffer a broken leg off road. Factor in the additional weight of hard luggage off road vs the ability of soft luggage to absorb low speed damage. Then consider how easy it is to break into either form of luggage: soft luggage takes 5+ seconds, while hard luggage takes 10+ seconds. I feel better about dealing with aduanas at a border with locked hard luggage, but that's about 1% of the total trip. For the rest of the trip you want soft luggage for weight and traffic splitting considerations. Yet soft luggage will always have you looking over your back....

Perhaps the best solution is both. A lockable hard topbox that contains your valuables and soft luggage that contains your dirty laundry. The really irreplaceable stuff goes in a removable tank bag that goes with you though the border crossings....

I'm leaving for SA in about a month. I have a full set of both. I'm still in limbo. I'll likely flip a coin and go with it the week before I leave. Ymmv.

FB
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #69400
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Glad to see you still posting on the DR thread, after your epic 'walk'. Hopin' I never have to do something similar.

So you remember that, so do I. I spent 9 days at a motel, but, had to cancel my plans to ride the Divide Trail. I just rode pavement back to Seattle. The ankle was broken and took about 3 months to heal. I think the 17 mile walk had something to do with the long recovery. I did it on Augest 3rd, 2011, returned to the Philippines in September 2011. The DR 650 is at my son's house in Seattle.

I would like to ship the DR 650 to the Philippines, which is not too easy to do. I have a Honda XR 200 here, but, miss the DR. I am 72 years old and know it is just a matter of time until the my riding days are over. But, playing in Manila traffic on a motorcycle gets the juices flowing.
YnotJP? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #69401
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,915
Ditto Paul. Enjoyed our lunch before you left. I still wince when I think about that hike out.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #69402
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.dica View Post
The armored mesh you refer to-- as a backpacker, I'd occasionally run into some Japanese fellows who had a sort of expanding mesh netting that would fit around their rucksacks. Is this the armored mesh you are speaking of? If I remember correctly, one guy was robbed in Ethiopia because the wire was compromised with some simple small metal snips. I suppose every bit is a deterrent, but as somebody who loves his Wolfman luggage, security (or the lack thereof) has always been on my mind for a long haul(or when parked anywhere for that matter). Ah, and if you have a link I'd appreciate it! Cheers!
www.pacsafe.com

Even hard luggage won't stop a determined thief though. If they really want it, they'll just take the whole bike somewhere that they can work on it for HOURS.

Use an alarm and a disc-lock with cable to something solid. Still...Don't leave anything valuable when parked. I don't even leave valuables in a car.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #69403
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP? View Post
Glad to see you still posting on the DR thread, after your epic 'walk'. Hopin' I never have to do something similar.

So you remember that,
Oh heck yes I remember that!!
Quote:
........so do I.
I'm sure you do. Those are the ones we remember.

Me riding alone in the Canyonlands, with your experience haunting me. I won't go back until I have a lighter bike.

Quote:
I spent 9 days at a motel, but, had to cancel my plans to ride the Divide Trail. I just rode pavement back to Seattle. The ankle was broken and took about 3 months to heal. I think the 17 mile walk had something to do with the long recovery. I did it on Augest 3rd, 2011, returned to the Philippines in September 2011. The DR 650 is at my son's house in Seattle.

I would like to ship the DR 650 to the Philippines, which is not too easy to do. I have a Honda XR 200 here, but, miss the DR.
I'm surprised by the import regulations that other countries have, everything seems so easy here in the US.
Quote:
I am 72 years old and know it is just a matter of time until the my riding days are over.
I'm 65 today. How inna hell did that happen?!?
Quote:
But, playing in Manila traffic on a motorcycle gets the juices flowing.
I'll take your word for that; no need to press my luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Ditto Paul. Enjoyed our lunch before you left. I still wince when I think about that hike out.
You got to have lunch with a real tough ole guy, sorta like Malcom Smith. Very cool.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #69404
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:

Two-up? On a DR? With gear? I am seriously impressed. Good on ya both.

Thanks for visiting our peninsula.
Mate so am I
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #69405
greystoke
2 wheel whore

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
So, let me get this straight. Your problem is "My bike won't idle!"
Your solution is "I'm going to futz around with everything EXCEPT the IDLE adjustment screw!"
You, sir, are banned from motorcycles!!
Mate i've already futzed with the idle/throttle stop screw.
That photo show's exactly how mine is now. There's an outer shaft with a lock nut and a screw which drives a pin up through the guts for minor adjustments. That photo shows there's no more room to screw the pin up. The spring beneath it is coiled up tight as a rats sphincter. Pin sticks out maybe 5mm, just like mine. This still doesn't raise the revs high enough to prevent stalling. I'm doing this by ear but can tell the regular idle speed is not enough to keep her ticking over. It'll stumble and die.

Next would be to undo the locknut & screw the outer shaft up further. Seeing as it idled fine before & now i've screwed it as screweded as it can be, i'm moving onto the next obvious thing being it's more likely something i've done or overlooked inside the carb.

But I do appreciate the suggestion.
www.rightaroundaustralia.com

PX200
'86 K100RS
K7 DR650SE
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote