Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #69391
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP? View Post
All I can say is I have had both an XR and a DR, and the DR subframe is way, way stronger. I don't know anything about a KTM, so I have nothing to say about them, other than they sure look great.
Glad to see you still posting on the DR thread, after your epic 'walk'. Hopin' I never have to do something similar.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #69392
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Welcome back AG. Play nice.
Watch yer fukin' manners ya ole fuk. Yer nowlege is too expansive to lose.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #69393
greystoke
2 wheel whore

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Pilot jet.

A simple check, stick a coin (or more) in here to see if it helps.
Yeah my throttle stop looks exactly like that. I can keep cranking it higher so it's like putting the throttle partially on but I don't think that's a fix. Turned the air/fuel screw back to 1 1/4 and harder to start but needs less throttle to keep idling so I reckon i'm getting closer. Though lots more popping if I open the throttle up.

Hand over snorkel doesn't do anything anymore, though I tightened the carb boot screws so maybe that was a separate issue.

Choke still makes no difference except won't start at all and kills it if already running.

Float bowl next and possibly raise needle one clip... Have to get one of those extended air/fuel screws. A real pain to get to.
www.rightaroundaustralia.com

PX200
'86 K100RS
K7 DR650SE
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #69394
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,213
Hey gang, Im a NOOB DR650 owner and have noticed at least 6-8 rear top rack options. Im thinking I like the Wolfman top rack, but I was wondering what you guys/gals have liked. I like the smaller styles, but I would like to be able to carrry a dry duffel on the rear.

Thanks,

Greg.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #69395
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
My bike came with the factory rack, but if I was to buy one I would get the patwalsh rack.
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #69396
maynard911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Food for thought

Check it out.
http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2012/9/...deus-bali.html
Old 09-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #69397
Taikimoto
wheresthatgo?

Oddometer: 41
http://www.bikeexif.com/dr650-suzuki

Heres one from them earlier this year. I really like the bare bones looks of them, maybe with enough interest they might start producing some of the parts they used ie seat tank fenders etc etc.
Taikimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #69398
Taikimoto
wheresthatgo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Of course, the only way to know what you have to do to fix it is to totally disassemble it and inspect everything. From my experience it's usually damage or wear to the shaft that causes the seal to fail.
So I was looking around and found Cogent's website and sent them a email. Then I realized that they are only 20 minutes away from where I live, what are the odds. Going to go ahead and take the shock off and see what they can do for me, maybe get the fronts done also.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #69399
cgag
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Last weekend I fell while riding through some mud, everything was alright except for my foot brake. I guess it dug down into the dirt because it got bent way out of shape. Does anyone know where I can buy a new one? I'm not seeing anything obvious from googling.

Also while I'm here I wanted to ask about luggage. Does anyone have recommendations about hard vs soft luggage if I wanted to use my bike as my sole vehicle (need to carry groceries, my laptop, misc items), and eventually do a lot of traveling through central/south america? Any info on specific products look at? I see people just say things like checkout wolfman luggage, but they sell a lot of different stuff, and I don't really know exactly what I'm looking for. I also don't have any racks or anything at the moment, so I'd need to get those too.
cgag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #69400
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikimoto View Post
So I was looking around and found Cogent's website and sent them a email. Then I realized that they are only 20 minutes away from where I live, what are the odds. Going to go ahead and take the shock off and see what they can do for me, maybe get the fronts done also.
If your bike ever sees a washboarded gravel road, then for the love of God and all things DR, have them change the valve shim stack! Dunno how it's configured or what my local guy put in there but the change is incredible and most noticeable on washboard.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #69401
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by greystoke View Post
Yeah my throttle stop looks exactly like that. I can keep cranking it higher so it's like putting the throttle partially on but I don't think that's a fix. Turned the air/fuel screw back to 1 1/4 and harder to start but needs less throttle to keep idling so I reckon i'm getting closer. Though lots more popping if I open the throttle up.

Hand over snorkel doesn't do anything anymore, though I tightened the carb boot screws so maybe that was a separate issue.

Choke still makes no difference except won't start at all and kills it if already running.

Float bowl next and possibly raise needle one clip... Have to get one of those extended air/fuel screws. A real pain to get to.
So, let me get this straight. Your problem is "My bike won't idle!"
Your solution is "I'm going to futz around with everything EXCEPT the IDLE adjustment screw!"
You, sir, are banned from motorcycles!!
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #69402
Taikimoto
wheresthatgo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
If your bike ever sees a washboarded gravel road, then for the love of God and all things DR, have them change the valve shim stack! Dunno how it's configured or what my local guy put in there but the change is incredible and most noticeable on washboard.
I actually do gravel that has wa
sh board and was going to ask about adjusting for that.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #69403
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Hey gang, Im a NOOB DR650 owner and have noticed at least 6-8 rear top rack options. Im thinking I like the Wolfman top rack, but I was wondering what you guys/gals have liked. I like the smaller styles, but I would like to be able to carrry a dry duffel on the rear.

Thanks,

Greg.
Do you even need a rack to carry the Wolfman gear ?

Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #69404
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikimoto View Post
I actually do gravel that has wa
sh board and was going to ask about adjusting for that.
Call Rick at Cogent and go by for a visit. He and Joyce are super nice and very helpful. Tell him what you want to do and how much you want to spend. There are several different options from a simple rebuild and tuning of the stock shock, to the complete internals swap that basically stuffs an adjustable Cogent custom shock into the OEM body. Call Rick and talk to him, Go by for a visit. You are too close not to make contact with him.

Thank us later...

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #69405
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Welcome back AG. Play nice.

I would also like to know how the steel subframe of Albie's DR failed. I know of Jammin Jay's failures, but we all know the punishment his subframe has endured in overloading, crashes, and mileage. Even Jay admits to the extreme levels of service in his multi-year trip.

I cannot think of another bike's subframe than can do real off-road and can withstand the abuse that the DR absorbs and recover within a reasonable budget. The DR's subframe can be welded by anybody with a torch or a buzzbox if it fails. Jay proved this.
In my opinion, the DR subframe is pretty tough. We have just finished the Trans America Trail 2 up with gear. That's a lot of continuos pounding, 5000 Miles. No problems.

Phreaky Phil screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 05:21 PM
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote