Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #69391
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 602
+1 Extremely great advice. I just returned from two years in Central America, Have made several moto trips there. Finally I desided on soft side and hard top box. I use Neson Riggs CL850 sides and a Bestem top box. Home fabricated side bag mounts. Worked great for the last two year travels in Central America. Headed back to Mexico in January and will be using same soft side bags and hard lockable top box. Carrying tank bag is also a great idea. I do that also.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Oh no you didn't!! ... This, like oil, is one of the most debated threads on ADVRider. There is absolutely no definite answer. You have to make a personal choice about how much you trust your fellow man vs how ready are your to suffer a broken leg off road. Factor in the additional weight of hard luggage off road vs the ability of soft luggage to absorb low speed damage. Then consider how easy it is to break into either form of luggage: soft luggage takes 5+ seconds, while hard luggage takes 10+ seconds. I feel better about dealing with aduanas at a border with locked hard luggage, but that's about 1% of the total trip. For the rest of the trip you want soft luggage for weight and traffic splitting considerations. Yet soft luggage will always have you looking over your back....

Perhaps the best solution is both. A lockable hard topbox that contains your valuables and soft luggage that contains your dirty laundry. The really irreplaceable stuff goes in a removable tank bag that goes with you though the border crossings....

I'm leaving for SA in about a month. I have a full set of both. I'm still in limbo. I'll likely flip a coin and go with it the week before I leave. Ymmv.

FB
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #69392
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,188
Glad to see you still posting on the DR thread, after your epic 'walk'. Hopin' I never have to do something similar.

So you remember that, so do I. I spent 9 days at a motel, but, had to cancel my plans to ride the Divide Trail. I just rode pavement back to Seattle. The ankle was broken and took about 3 months to heal. I think the 17 mile walk had something to do with the long recovery. I did it on Augest 3rd, 2011, returned to the Philippines in September 2011. The DR 650 is at my son's house in Seattle.

I would like to ship the DR 650 to the Philippines, which is not too easy to do. I have a Honda XR 200 here, but, miss the DR. I am 72 years old and know it is just a matter of time until the my riding days are over. But, playing in Manila traffic on a motorcycle gets the juices flowing.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #69393
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,950
Ditto Paul. Enjoyed our lunch before you left. I still wince when I think about that hike out.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #69394
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.dica View Post
The armored mesh you refer to-- as a backpacker, I'd occasionally run into some Japanese fellows who had a sort of expanding mesh netting that would fit around their rucksacks. Is this the armored mesh you are speaking of? If I remember correctly, one guy was robbed in Ethiopia because the wire was compromised with some simple small metal snips. I suppose every bit is a deterrent, but as somebody who loves his Wolfman luggage, security (or the lack thereof) has always been on my mind for a long haul(or when parked anywhere for that matter). Ah, and if you have a link I'd appreciate it! Cheers!
www.pacsafe.com

Even hard luggage won't stop a determined thief though. If they really want it, they'll just take the whole bike somewhere that they can work on it for HOURS.

Use an alarm and a disc-lock with cable to something solid. Still...Don't leave anything valuable when parked. I don't even leave valuables in a car.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #69395
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP? View Post
Glad to see you still posting on the DR thread, after your epic 'walk'. Hopin' I never have to do something similar.

So you remember that,
Oh heck yes I remember that!!
Quote:
........so do I.
I'm sure you do. Those are the ones we remember.

Me riding alone in the Canyonlands, with your experience haunting me. I won't go back until I have a lighter bike.

Quote:
I spent 9 days at a motel, but, had to cancel my plans to ride the Divide Trail. I just rode pavement back to Seattle. The ankle was broken and took about 3 months to heal. I think the 17 mile walk had something to do with the long recovery. I did it on Augest 3rd, 2011, returned to the Philippines in September 2011. The DR 650 is at my son's house in Seattle.

I would like to ship the DR 650 to the Philippines, which is not too easy to do. I have a Honda XR 200 here, but, miss the DR.
I'm surprised by the import regulations that other countries have, everything seems so easy here in the US.
Quote:
I am 72 years old and know it is just a matter of time until the my riding days are over.
I'm 65 today. How inna hell did that happen?!?
Quote:
But, playing in Manila traffic on a motorcycle gets the juices flowing.
I'll take your word for that; no need to press my luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Ditto Paul. Enjoyed our lunch before you left. I still wince when I think about that hike out.
You got to have lunch with a real tough ole guy, sorta like Malcom Smith. Very cool.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #69396
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:

Two-up? On a DR? With gear? I am seriously impressed. Good on ya both.

Thanks for visiting our peninsula.
Mate so am I
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #69397
greystoke
2 wheel whore

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
So, let me get this straight. Your problem is "My bike won't idle!"
Your solution is "I'm going to futz around with everything EXCEPT the IDLE adjustment screw!"
You, sir, are banned from motorcycles!!
Mate i've already futzed with the idle/throttle stop screw.
That photo show's exactly how mine is now. There's an outer shaft with a lock nut and a screw which drives a pin up through the guts for minor adjustments. That photo shows there's no more room to screw the pin up. The spring beneath it is coiled up tight as a rats sphincter. Pin sticks out maybe 5mm, just like mine. This still doesn't raise the revs high enough to prevent stalling. I'm doing this by ear but can tell the regular idle speed is not enough to keep her ticking over. It'll stumble and die.

Next would be to undo the locknut & screw the outer shaft up further. Seeing as it idled fine before & now i've screwed it as screweded as it can be, i'm moving onto the next obvious thing being it's more likely something i've done or overlooked inside the carb.

But I do appreciate the suggestion.
www.rightaroundaustralia.com

PX200
'86 K100RS
K7 DR650SE
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #69398
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I'm 65 today. How inna hell did that happen?!?
A day late, but Happy Birthday!

Sarah
Old 09-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #69399
Nullarbor63
Test Pilot

Oddometer: 23
'Soft' Bags...

[QUOTE=thumpididump;19657320]Eeek! 350 ??? Jibeezus! That's some pretty spendy soft panniers. Nearly $600 USD.

That's what I thought also, until I read what goes into the making of the bags. Go back and have another look. You couldn't put a hole in these bags with a .45. Seriously.
Nullarbor63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #69400
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,602
Took my DR on a long road trip. Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway, with the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and VA 16 (Back of the Dragon) thrown in for good measure. 1485 miles in 6 days. I had the Stock Trailwings on and they are pretty good street tires. Went back to the 15 tooth C/S sprocket and had a new Seat Concepts 1" taller seat to keep my butt from dying. Had a great time with several motorcycling family members.

The bike did fine, but I learned that street riding isn't for me. Back to knobbies and a 14 tooth sprocket.

Here's a pic from the BRP:

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #69401
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,684
that was my luggage solution. bolted a 1520 pelican case through to the existing 4 bolts on my ebay bbq rack. i can unbolt it, remove it and put those bolts back into the rack in 5 minutes and then have just a rear rack for a soft duffel. the pelican sits inside of the width of the bbq rack and thus if i dump, the bbq rack only takes the hit on the side. a large man rack rear rack with a givi mount would also do the same.

i use small locks on my pelican and thus have security. unless i'm going for an all off-road tour, i leave the pelican attached. i then use a soft Giant Loop Coyote bag sitting on the rear of my seat. completely soft on the sides if i dump it and comes fully off the bike for day rides. no additional side rack & weight left on the bike when not in use. rock solid when mounted.

lighter and secure items in the pelicans. heavy items down low in the giant loop w/ lighter clothes, sleeping pad and pillow up top. 2 man tent strapped to the top.

i use the same modular approach w/ Madstad windshield system http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.1921/.f
i have the screen adjusted great for all day & touring wind comfort. with 4 bolts (changing over to tool-less thumb screws) i can remove the robo-brackets and shield (just the turbo city bike racks left on - weight very little and not in the way at all) and go into off-road riding mode.

in 1/2hr my DR can go from full-on street/adv touring bike to no shield, no luggage, no pelican case off-road riding mode. it's still too heavy to be a true dirtbike, but i can do 90% of off-road riding and 100% street riding/touring riding.

Quote:

Perhaps the best solution is both. A lockable hard topbox that contains your valuables and soft luggage that contains your dirty laundry. The really irreplaceable stuff goes in a removable tank bag that goes with you though the border crossings....

I'm leaving for SA in about a month. I have a full set of both. I'm still in limbo. I'll likely flip a coin and go with it the week before I leave. Ymmv.

FB
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #69402
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,684
i was riding in Mexico for a year.
i used this http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/voltage-valet/
sitting on top of my tank bag locked to it. it flashes a redlight and barks very loud if the bike is moved at all. it's notice me yellow and screams don't touch or i'll go off. had 1 guy start messing with my bike, it went off and he ran away. i saw all this happen when i was sitting in the square and my bike was still visible and parked. went off once when it was parked at night but no visual on the situation. http://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Valet-.../dp/B004ALISBI it's not waterproof however and got wet once and died shortly after. at that price i just got another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
+1 Extremely great advice. I just returned from two years in Central America, Have made several moto trips there. Finally I desided on soft side and hard top box. I use Neson Riggs CL850 sides and a Bestem top box. Home fabricated side bag mounts. Worked great for the last two year travels in Central America. Headed back to Mexico in January and will be using same soft side bags and hard lockable top box. Carrying tank bag is also a great idea. I do that also.

TravelGuy
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #69403
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
In my opinion, the DR subframe is pretty tough. We have just finished the Trans America Trail 2 up with gear. That's a lot of continuos pounding, 5000 Miles. No problems.
Congrats on the trip Phil. Awesome! Your set up shown above pretty much confirms just how tough DR sub frames are. Passenger Plus luggage Plus wash board and serious 5000 miles of hammering equals BROKE sub frame for most 600 class bikes out there.

My DR has ridden some tough Baja routes several times ... but never carrying a load like yours.

Hope your North America trip was fun you ya all!
Ride Report link?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #69404
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,219
Nice pics Rusty!

Just recently got back from a 2,600 west coast offroad trip. The DR took a pounding overall but performed flawlessly.

Accesesorized with the Wolfman bags Eakins so graciously sold me.

Mount Rainer in the backround

Mount Hood I believe

Getting an oil change at the 1,500 mile mark in Ashland Ore. Yea, Im that anal.....

Overlooking the Pacific on Californias Lost Coast and Kings Range

2 weeks and 2,600 miles later we made it to Reno where Allied picked her up and I flew back home.

The T63 did not make it all the way suprisingly. It was shot by the time I hit California and I needed to change it out, which I did.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 11:03 AM
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #69405
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

FB
Big Congrats on making the Jump! Sounds like you've done your homework. I like your combo idea ... if not too heavy. Nice to have a riding buddy at borders. One watches, one does paperwork.

I did a Baja ride with GIVI hard bags (E-41). With racks, empty bags, hardware, they added 35 lbs. over my soft bag set up. Going soft bags forced me to really "Re-Think" what I carried. I learned to leave a lot behind. Went from roughly 100 lbs. set up down to 65 lbs. all up. (tools, parts, clothes, supplies, food, tubes, spare tire)
Like riding a different bike.

All the best on your ride! !Que le via muy bien!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote