Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #69406
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.dica View Post
The armored mesh you refer to-- as a backpacker, I'd occasionally run into some Japanese fellows who had a sort of expanding mesh netting that would fit around their rucksacks. Is this the armored mesh you are speaking of? If I remember correctly, one guy was robbed in Ethiopia because the wire was compromised with some simple small metal snips. I suppose every bit is a deterrent, but as somebody who loves his Wolfman luggage, security (or the lack thereof) has always been on my mind for a long haul(or when parked anywhere for that matter). Ah, and if you have a link I'd appreciate it! Cheers!
Google Pac-Safe. I believe its sold somewhere in the US, but sure available in the EU. It works ... and as you say ... a good deterrent.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #69407
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Nice pics Rusty!

Just recently got back from a 2,600 west coast offroad trip. The DR took a pounding overall but performed flawlessly.

2 weeks and 2,600 miles later we made it to Reno where Allied picked her up and I flew back home.

The T63 did not make it all the way surprisingly. It was shot by the time I hit California and I needed to change it out, which I did.
That is a very tidy set up. Glad all went well, sounds like an epic ride.

Did you ride your DR West from "Joisey" ? ... or shipped bike both ways? I could see thousands of miles of Highway eating that T-63 ... but would be surprised if dirt riding wore it out that quickly. Wha' happen? How did the handling change on pavement once severely worn?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #69408
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,219
Trucked out and back. Yea, Im surprised. I had that tire before, always got 3,500 out of it easy. The Washington Backcountry Discovery Route was very rocky overall with that volcanic rock thats quite abrasive. Thats the only reason I can think of. I had to put a cheap $69 Shinko on to make the last 900 miles, but hey, any port in a storm right ? Prolly last 10,000 miles

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #69409
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post

Two-up? On a DR? With gear? I am seriously impressed. Good on ya both.

Thanks for visiting our peninsula.
Slightly modified though...
Old 09-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #69410
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by greystoke View Post
Hi guys.

I've put my carb back together after giving a thorough clean, changed all the o-rings and replaced the idle jet with a stocker (42.5). Stock needle not worn and on 3rd clip (stock setting I believe). Fuel screw turned 2 1/4 turns.
Start the engine and warm it up. Starting from a setting that is known to be lean (1-1/2 turns is likely but not guaranteed to be), adjust the fuel screw to obtain the highest idle speed. Adjust to 1/8 - 1/4 turn richer than that. Then, adjust the idle speed back to 1500 rpm. Report back with the final fuel screw setting.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #69411
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
3. I'd bet Pilot Jet is clogged. Pull it out and clean it and flush out the circuit below the jet too. !
Generally if the pilot jet is clogged, off idle (1/16 to 1/8 opening) will suffer as well.

Regards,

Derek
Old 09-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #69412
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The real question is "Why are ours not adjustable?" and "Why is there a stupid aluminum blanking plate over our idle mixture screws?" This is the US EPA's approach. Assume we're stupid, then look the other way.

I applaud reducing pollution, but the EPA's approach is .... and nanny state bureacracy.
Don't forget: They hate us for our freedoms!

Regards,

Derek
Old 09-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #69413
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The real question is "Why are ours not adjustable?"
I have the non-USA adjustable needles in stock in case anyone wants one.

Regards,

Derek
Old 09-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #69414
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Pilot jet.

A simple check, stick a coin (or more) in here to see if it helps.
I don't recommend poking metal inside/through the jet.

Regards,

Derek
Old 09-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #69415
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,581
just ordered the Wolfman rear top rack. Ill let you guys know how it is when it arrives. :)
Old 09-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #69416
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Congrats on the trip Phil. Awesome! Your set up shown above pretty much confirms just how tough DR sub frames are. Passenger Plus luggage Plus wash board and serious 5000 miles of hammering equals BROKE sub frame for most 600 class bikes out there.

My DR has ridden some tough Baja routes several times ... but never carrying a load like yours.

Hope your North America trip was fun you ya all!
Ride Report link?
Thanks, we are still riding around, playing road tourers. We aren't Lake Mono at the moment and going to visit Yosemite tomorrow. After theTATwe had a couple of days cleaning everything then headed slowly down the coast as far as Fort Bragg then headed inland. Had a couple of nights at Lake Tahoe.
Here's a link to our ride report. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815869
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #69417
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Trucked out and back. Yea, Im surprised. I had that tire before, always got 3,500 out of it easy. The Washington Backcountry Discovery Route was very rocky overall with that volcanic rock thats quite abrasive. Thats the only reason I can think of. I had to put a cheap $69 Shinko on to make the last 900 miles, but hey, any port in a storm right ? Prolly last 10,000 miles
Did you notice where the T63 was made? I have used both Czechoslovakian and Thai made ones, with the Czecho made ones lasting longer, just like a Mitas E09. and the Thais lasting about 2/3 in recent experience.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #69418
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Did you notice where the T63 was made? I have used both Czechoslovakian and Thai made ones, with the Czecho made ones lasting longer, just like a Mitas E09. and the Thais lasting about 2/3 in recent experience.
intresting. no i didnt look. i also used the e09s before plenty of times. loved them. this one rear though was different. Perhaps thats why.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #69419
AJxr

Oddometer: 928
i searched this thread a few times but cant really seem to find the info i am looking for.

will be doing the LAB2V on my dr650 and while prepping my bike i was toying around the idea of getting an exhaust. possibly DG...

opinions on the DG versus other brands? looking to pass ama sound checks as well.

not interested in the gsxr pipe

What would Magoo do?
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #69420
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,460
I don't believe there are any aftermarket exhaust offerings for the DR that will pass any sound tests... If any of them do pass, it would be very close to the limit. However, a GSXR muffler will pass quite easily and score ~88-89 dB using the SAE J2825 sound test. Add an FMF spark arrestor and shave ~1dB from the result.

Quiet is definitely not a characteristic of the DG muffler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJxr View Post
i searched this thread a few times but cant really seem to find the info i am looking for.

will be doing the LAB2V on my dr650 and while prepping my bike i was toying around the idea of getting an exhaust. possibly DG...

opinions on the DG versus other brands? looking to pass ama sound checks as well.

not interested in the gsxr pipe

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote