Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #69406
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I'm 65 today. How inna hell did that happen?!?
A day late, but Happy Birthday!

Sarah
Old 09-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #69407
Nullarbor63
Test Pilot

Oddometer: 23
'Soft' Bags...

[QUOTE=thumpididump;19657320]Eeek! 350 ??? Jibeezus! That's some pretty spendy soft panniers. Nearly $600 USD.

That's what I thought also, until I read what goes into the making of the bags. Go back and have another look. You couldn't put a hole in these bags with a .45. Seriously.
Nullarbor63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #69408
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,496
Took my DR on a long road trip. Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway, with the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and VA 16 (Back of the Dragon) thrown in for good measure. 1485 miles in 6 days. I had the Stock Trailwings on and they are pretty good street tires. Went back to the 15 tooth C/S sprocket and had a new Seat Concepts 1" taller seat to keep my butt from dying. Had a great time with several motorcycling family members.

The bike did fine, but I learned that street riding isn't for me. Back to knobbies and a 14 tooth sprocket.

Here's a pic from the BRP:

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #69409
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
that was my luggage solution. bolted a 1520 pelican case through to the existing 4 bolts on my ebay bbq rack. i can unbolt it, remove it and put those bolts back into the rack in 5 minutes and then have just a rear rack for a soft duffel. the pelican sits inside of the width of the bbq rack and thus if i dump, the bbq rack only takes the hit on the side. a large man rack rear rack with a givi mount would also do the same.

i use small locks on my pelican and thus have security. unless i'm going for an all off-road tour, i leave the pelican attached. i then use a soft Giant Loop Coyote bag sitting on the rear of my seat. completely soft on the sides if i dump it and comes fully off the bike for day rides. no additional side rack & weight left on the bike when not in use. rock solid when mounted.

lighter and secure items in the pelicans. heavy items down low in the giant loop w/ lighter clothes, sleeping pad and pillow up top. 2 man tent strapped to the top.

i use the same modular approach w/ Madstad windshield system http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.1921/.f
i have the screen adjusted great for all day & touring wind comfort. with 4 bolts (changing over to tool-less thumb screws) i can remove the robo-brackets and shield (just the turbo city bike racks left on - weight very little and not in the way at all) and go into off-road riding mode.

in 1/2hr my DR can go from full-on street/adv touring bike to no shield, no luggage, no pelican case off-road riding mode. it's still too heavy to be a true dirtbike, but i can do 90% of off-road riding and 100% street riding/touring riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post

Perhaps the best solution is both. A lockable hard topbox that contains your valuables and soft luggage that contains your dirty laundry. The really irreplaceable stuff goes in a removable tank bag that goes with you though the border crossings....

I'm leaving for SA in about a month. I have a full set of both. I'm still in limbo. I'll likely flip a coin and go with it the week before I leave. Ymmv.

FB
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #69410
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
i was riding in Mexico for a year.
i used this http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/voltage-valet/
sitting on top of my tank bag locked to it. it flashes a redlight and barks very loud if the bike is moved at all. it's notice me yellow and screams don't touch or i'll go off. had 1 guy start messing with my bike, it went off and he ran away. i saw all this happen when i was sitting in the square and my bike was still visible and parked. went off once when it was parked at night but no visual on the situation. http://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Valet-.../dp/B004ALISBI it's not waterproof however and got wet once and died shortly after. at that price i just got another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
+1 Extremely great advice. I just returned from two years in Central America, Have made several moto trips there. Finally I desided on soft side and hard top box. I use Neson Riggs CL850 sides and a Bestem top box. Home fabricated side bag mounts. Worked great for the last two year travels in Central America. Headed back to Mexico in January and will be using same soft side bags and hard lockable top box. Carrying tank bag is also a great idea. I do that also.

TravelGuy
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #69411
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
In my opinion, the DR subframe is pretty tough. We have just finished the Trans America Trail 2 up with gear. That's a lot of continuos pounding, 5000 Miles. No problems.
Congrats on the trip Phil. Awesome! Your set up shown above pretty much confirms just how tough DR sub frames are. Passenger Plus luggage Plus wash board and serious 5000 miles of hammering equals BROKE sub frame for most 600 class bikes out there.

My DR has ridden some tough Baja routes several times ... but never carrying a load like yours.

Hope your North America trip was fun you ya all!
Ride Report link?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #69412
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,140
Nice pics Rusty!

Just recently got back from a 2,600 west coast offroad trip. The DR took a pounding overall but performed flawlessly.

Accesesorized with the Wolfman bags Eakins so graciously sold me.

Mount Rainer in the backround

Mount Hood I believe

Getting an oil change at the 1,500 mile mark in Ashland Ore. Yea, Im that anal.....

Overlooking the Pacific on Californias Lost Coast and Kings Range

2 weeks and 2,600 miles later we made it to Reno where Allied picked her up and I flew back home.

The T63 did not make it all the way suprisingly. It was shot by the time I hit California and I needed to change it out, which I did.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 11:03 AM
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #69413
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Perhaps the best solution is both. A lockable hard topbox that contains your valuables and soft luggage that contains your dirty laundry. The really irreplaceable stuff goes in a removable tank bag that goes with you though the border crossings....

I'm leaving for SA in about a month. I have a full set of both. I'm still in limbo. I'll likely flip a coin and go with it the week before I leave. Ymmv.
FB
Big Congrats on making the Jump! Sounds like you've done your homework. I like your combo idea ... if not too heavy. Nice to have a riding buddy at borders. One watches, one does paperwork.

I did a Baja ride with GIVI hard bags (E-41). With racks, empty bags, hardware, they added 35 lbs. over my soft bag set up. Going soft bags forced me to really "Re-Think" what I carried. I learned to leave a lot behind. Went from roughly 100 lbs. set up down to 65 lbs. all up. (tools, parts, clothes, supplies, food, tubes, spare tire)
Like riding a different bike.

All the best on your ride! !Que le via muy bien!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #69414
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.dica View Post
The armored mesh you refer to-- as a backpacker, I'd occasionally run into some Japanese fellows who had a sort of expanding mesh netting that would fit around their rucksacks. Is this the armored mesh you are speaking of? If I remember correctly, one guy was robbed in Ethiopia because the wire was compromised with some simple small metal snips. I suppose every bit is a deterrent, but as somebody who loves his Wolfman luggage, security (or the lack thereof) has always been on my mind for a long haul(or when parked anywhere for that matter). Ah, and if you have a link I'd appreciate it! Cheers!
Google Pac-Safe. I believe its sold somewhere in the US, but sure available in the EU. It works ... and as you say ... a good deterrent.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #69415
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Nice pics Rusty!

Just recently got back from a 2,600 west coast offroad trip. The DR took a pounding overall but performed flawlessly.

2 weeks and 2,600 miles later we made it to Reno where Allied picked her up and I flew back home.

The T63 did not make it all the way surprisingly. It was shot by the time I hit California and I needed to change it out, which I did.
That is a very tidy set up. Glad all went well, sounds like an epic ride.

Did you ride your DR West from "Joisey" ? ... or shipped bike both ways? I could see thousands of miles of Highway eating that T-63 ... but would be surprised if dirt riding wore it out that quickly. Wha' happen? How did the handling change on pavement once severely worn?
Old 09-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #69416
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,140
Trucked out and back. Yea, Im surprised. I had that tire before, always got 3,500 out of it easy. The Washington Backcountry Discovery Route was very rocky overall with that volcanic rock thats quite abrasive. Thats the only reason I can think of. I had to put a cheap $69 Shinko on to make the last 900 miles, but hey, any port in a storm right ? Prolly last 10,000 miles

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #69417
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,113
Quote:

Two-up? On a DR? With gear? I am seriously impressed. Good on ya both.

Thanks for visiting our peninsula.
Slightly modified though...
Old 09-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #69418
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by greystoke View Post
Hi guys.

I've put my carb back together after giving a thorough clean, changed all the o-rings and replaced the idle jet with a stocker (42.5). Stock needle not worn and on 3rd clip (stock setting I believe). Fuel screw turned 2 1/4 turns.
Start the engine and warm it up. Starting from a setting that is known to be lean (1-1/2 turns is likely but not guaranteed to be), adjust the fuel screw to obtain the highest idle speed. Adjust to 1/8 - 1/4 turn richer than that. Then, adjust the idle speed back to 1500 rpm. Report back with the final fuel screw setting.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #69419
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
3. I'd bet Pilot Jet is clogged. Pull it out and clean it and flush out the circuit below the jet too. !
Generally if the pilot jet is clogged, off idle (1/16 to 1/8 opening) will suffer as well.

Regards,

Derek
Old 09-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #69420
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The real question is "Why are ours not adjustable?" and "Why is there a stupid aluminum blanking plate over our idle mixture screws?" This is the US EPA's approach. Assume we're stupid, then look the other way.

I applaud reducing pollution, but the EPA's approach is .... and nanny state bureacracy.
Don't forget: They hate us for our freedoms!

Regards,

Derek