Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #69451
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob808 View Post
I just finished rebuilding my '97 dr650se...
A glowing pipe while idling is completely normal for a DR650. It has been discussed here many times. if you tune it so rich that the pipe doesn't glow the bike won't run either. Trying to tune the idle mixture with the main jet and needle position will just get you lost in your tuning setup. You still have the stock exhaust so put the 145 main jet back in. Running the 150 main will just make your bike slower.

Idle is controlled by the idle mixture screw and idle speed screw.
Mid-range throttle response, steady speed cruising and 'low rpm wide open throttle' is controlled by the clip position.
Wide open throttle, high rpm operation is controlled by the main jet size.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #69452
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob808
The issue that I'm having is that the exhaust pipe turns red at cylinder exit.
They all do that. It aids in night-time conspicuity .
Old 09-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #69453
Bob808
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Oh thank you. That put my mind at ease. Then I will install back the 145 tomorrow and see how it goes with the rest of the settings.
Bob808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #69454
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Sure, given the availability of materials the source coil could be rewound but Jay is riding around the world and is currently stuck in Kibondo, Tanzania . I know I would have trouble getting the correct wire to rewind the source coil locally. I imagine it would much easier to get a stator shipped to him than to find the wire of the correct gauge and with the correct coating to do a reliable rewind.
Errr I'd not be so certain as to the local skills at fixing stuff from raw products, it may well be that locals have the skills to perform a repair quicker and certainly cheaper than a slow expensive (import duties and delays?) delivery. As to the availability of the wire leave that to the locals, they know more about it than us?

Consider that imported goods may be very expensive and that labour rates may be low. A replacement alternator for a car or truck may be a year or twos labour charges - so repairing it is desirable. The people repairing alternators may also do coils too...

Quote:
Another thing, if the source coil is breaking down due to age and heat cycling the stator coils are likely suffering from the same fatigue.
The wire gauge of the stator coils would make them more able to withstand the stress. Buy the time the stator coils failed you could expect say two source coil failures? All guess work based on theory. So not worth much in the real world where practice and results are far more important.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #69455
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Idle is controlled by the idle mixture screw and idle speed screw.
Mid-range throttle response, steady speed cruising and 'low rpm wide open throttle' is controlled by the clip position.
Wide open throttle, high rpm operation is controlled by the main jet size.
Correspondences on CV carbs:

Low rpm all throttle positions: float height, needle base diameter, emulsion tube outlet size
WOT operation overall: main jet
WOT operation between HP peak and red line: main air corrector
WOT operation below red line: jet needle shape
1/4 throttle opening: jet needle clip position
1/8 throttle opening: pilot jet size
1/16 throttle opening: pilot jet size
idle: mixture screw adjustment

Note that tuning should always be done from the top down, although the idle mixture screw should be adjusted at each change.
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #69456
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,403
I remember the days of texting with a number pad... annoying for sure.

I once got so furious with my cell phone provider's customer service person (a customer service complaint), that at the end of the phone call, I took my Motorola flip-phone and put it under the rear tire of my SV650 and ran it over

A few days later, I had a shiny new iPhone with a new cell company. Within a year, I ditched the iPhone and got a Samsung Galaxy with Android. Much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Thanks for that.

I am still smarter than my phone so I have never tried those apps. My phone is a 2007 flip phone. All it does is make and receive calls and take pictures.
It would text also, but I refuse to type with a number pad. (no qwerty)

I'd love to throw it in the woods and only be able to be contacted at home, but it's invaluable when trail riding.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #69457
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyfromtexas View Post
I just created a post on my blog about how I transformed my DR650 into a DR650 adventure motorcycle for a year of riding around South America. It includes all the modifications and costs. I thought some of you might be interested. She has been a great bike...and sadly she is for sale.

2011 Suzuki DR650 Adventure Motorcycle
:

i see you are letting go of your DR are you selling any parts / separately ? If you are send a list of parts / cost. I am in the market for some DR 650 upgrades without blowing my budget.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #69458
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Thanks

Nice summary, I'm on the verge of some fiddling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Correspondences on CV carbs:

Low rpm all throttle positions: float height, needle base diameter, emulsion tube outlet size
WOT operation overall: main jet
WOT operation between HP peak and red line: main air corrector
WOT operation below red line: jet needle shape
1/4 throttle opening: jet needle clip position
1/8 throttle opening: pilot jet size
1/16 throttle opening: pilot jet size
idle: mixture screw adjustment

Note that tuning should always be done from the top down, although the idle mixture screw should be adjusted at each change.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #69459
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
As to the availability of the wire leave that to the locals, they know more about it than us
Speak for yourself . I doubt the locals in central Africa know more about winding coils than I do . The wire not only has to be the correct gauge but has to be coated with insulation that will not break down in hot oil. If Jay was stuck in a country that has some manufacturing base he might be able to source some wire that would work. The chances of some Kibondo local having wire that would make a reliable repair are remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
The wire gauge of the stator coils would make them more able to withstand the stress.
The stator I have on my work stand looks to have the same gauge wire in both the charging coils and source coil.

My opinion is trying to rewind it would be a last resort emergency option. It sounds like there is some chance that unplugging the stator will let it run long enough to get the bike to a place that has more resources than Kibondo or at least somewhere that a stator could be shipped to.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning

procycle screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 07:10 PM
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #69460
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
glad

I put my magnet in at 3,400 miles and only saw light dusting at 4,480. First oil change at 500 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
First oil change with a magnetic drain plug.

Does this like normal wear for a DR with 15,500 miles?

psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #69461
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob808 View Post
Oh thank you. That put my mind at ease. Then I will install back the 145 tomorrow and see how it goes with the rest of the settings.
For the fast idle problem ... I would ensure your throttle cables are not hanging up. Very common. Routing should be perfect. Check them. Even if twist grip is shut ... you could still have the throttle slide hanging up a bit.

If you can't solve this (carb probs) ... I'd buy a nice BST Carb off someone here ... preferably a nice virginal one that hasn't been "Tuned".

Good luck Bob and good work getting her running! You are almost there!

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 07:46 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #69462
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
I put my magnet in at 3,400 miles and only saw light dusting at 4,480. First oil change at 500 miles.
That picture reveals many times what my motor shows at an oil change interval. I always use Mobile 1 15/50 in my DR650
Old 09-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #69463
troyfromtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
6K for a bike that has 24K miles? good luck.
Hi Refokus,

Perhaps I'm being optimistic. However, I'm pricing the bike taking into consideration the modifications and the market price of a similar bike in Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil, the three countries to which I'm closest at the moment. In Paraguay a new DR650 runs about US$9,000, in Argentina about $10,000 and in Brazil probably $13,000. So even a one year old bike with 24,000 miles is within reason. On MercardoLibre, the ebay of Latin America, there are a few 1999 DR650s with between 40-60,000km selling for US$4-5,000. In all of these countries it is hard to find or import quality modifications. The import duties often double the price of the item. While this bike does have 24,000 miles, it has been maintained tightly. And it is running perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback. If I am unable to sell her, I'll just bring her home with me.

Troy

www.theadventurebegins.tv
2011 Suzuki DR650

troyfromtexas screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 09:17 PM
troyfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #69464
troyfromtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCLI-Jim View Post
:

i see you are letting go of your DR are you selling any parts / separately ? If you are send a list of parts / cost. I am in the market for some DR 650 upgrades without blowing my budget.
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the question. At the moment, I'm trying to sell the complete bike. If I do sell the bike complete, I will have some of the original stock parts that I will sell once I return home. The original parts are in new condition and are in storage at the moment. If I am unable to sell my bike, I will bring her back home with me. Then I may rebuild her as a stock bike. I would then sell all the goodies. I'd be sure to post on this thread.

Thanks for the inquiry,

Troy

2011 Suzuki DR650
Old 09-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #69465
troyfromtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Troy!! Congrats on a great tour!! A few of us here have followed your ride from the start. Best of luck with the sale ... probably a local will end up buying your bike. Maybe contact the local riding clubs there.

I hope everyone here takes time to check out your report!

Cheers!
Cheers Grifter. Thanks for following. It's been a ride.

2011 Suzuki DR650