Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #69481
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,801
Shimming the cush rubbers

Read about it here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post19679149

and decided to give it a try. My bike has 20,000 miles on it and for the last little while it seemed like it was feeling rougher in the pegs. The shims sure nuff made a difference you can feel as soon as you start thru the gears. Definitely worth the time and trouble in my opinion. Sure cheap enough.

Sarah
Old 09-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #69482
dobbo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
Cush drive rubbers.

I read somewhere a while back that you can swell the cushdrive rubbers for a tighter fit.

So when my rear sprocket carrier had a fair bit of play in it, I checked the cush rubbers; yes they where worn.. 35000km on them.

I know that the new rubbers weren't that expensive, but as I was leaving on a trip the following day, I thought "what have I got to lose!" so I put the rubbers in a container with some old engine oil, and left them overnight to soak; next day I gave them a wipe clean and refitted them.... nice and tight, no more sprocket play, and 5000km later still going strong.

cheers
Dobbo
dobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #69483
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestate View Post
Would appreciate some quick input on the following.
I'm on a week long trip to Norway and the bike has been doing great up until this afternoon. I will try to explain it as best as I can, however English isn't my native tounge so it will be kinda hard. So bear withI me please.

This afternoon after stopping for gas the bike felt awkward when I pulled off. On low revs in first and second it made some real clonking sounds, not the usual tiny protests but much louder. Also I could feel it very clearly in the foot pegs. However when I rev it the sounds good away. In neutral the engine sounds as normal. Sorry for the crappy explanation I hope I made myself understood.
Anyone have a clue what it is I'm talking about? It feels so bad I'm concerned its the gearbox going kaboom.
I think your English is better than some here ... no worries.

Could be a few things. Lets think positive and hope its a worn sprocket or worn chain. Look at your sprockets. Is chain Loose? Are sprockets "sharp", and dished?
The DR650 transmits very weird vibes and makes bad noises when sprockets and chain wear out. Easy fix ... just put on new sprocket or chain ... or both!

As mentioned ... could also be Cush Drive Rubber spacers. (located in rear Hubb. They are only good for about 25K kms. Use bits of inner tube insert to tighten them up. Really helps drive line feel smoother. Cheap and easy fix.

If chain is LOOSE ... it can make BAD noises when it contacts either the two chain rollers (mine are removed!) , the chain guide (white plastic thing below swing arm, or the chain hitting and swing arm itself. All these make noise when the bike is "Lugged" ( too low RPM) and you will feel grinding like vibrations in pegs.

I hope your problem is nothing serious. Good luck, have a great (and safe) ride!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #69484
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
The jet in question meters fuel to the cold start enrichment circuit.Do you mean the float needle?.Technically, BST40 carbs use cold start enrichment circuits instead of chokes (regardless of what the lettering on the lever might say). A choke is closed when an engine is cold and opened when it is warm, whereas a fuel enrichment circuit is opened when the engine is cold and closed when it is warm. A choke works by restricting the air flow, whereas an enrichment circuit works by adding extra fuel. A choke requires a fast idle cam or something akin to it (or you have to hold the throttle open manually), whereas an enrichment circuit adds a little extra air simultaneously with the extra fuel, so the fast idle is already built in. In any case, if the engine wont start from cold with the cold start enrichment lever activated, then it is likely that the fuel portion of the circuit is clogged somewhere, meaning that air will be let in (for the fast idle), but not enough fuel (making the mixture leaner instead of richer). This brings us to the jet you were cleaning. It's likely to still be dirty. On the other side of it, the fact that the engine will start from cold without the cold start enrichment circuit active means that the idle mixture is too rich, and should be readjusted when the engine is warm via the method I outlined in a previous post (or set to ~2.5-3.5% exhaust CO).

Regards,

Derek
Very interesting! Thanks for this post, Derek!
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #69485
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I didn't think anyone was saying it worked better than the expensive stuff that's actually designed specifically for cleaning carbs. I thought the general consensus was that it's good enough if you let it work long enough, and it's significantly cheaper.
cheaper yes. pine sol soak came about w/ multi cycl carb banks not needing to be taken apart and all the rubber pieces removed. it's hard to put them back togther and pine sol is safe on rubber and alum. it just transferred over to single carbs because it works too. i soaked for 1/2 a day as i had the time and did not want to work with real nasty chemicals. pinesol is pine oil w/ other ingredients.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #69486
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,811
oh man
2013 completely unchanged & $6400.
2013 klr unchanged and $6500
2013 xr650l unchanged and $?

...husky tr650 terra a few $100s more and very changed.
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=26322

the Japanese better watch themselves or bmw is taking over in a big way
you might not like the technology but alot will when comparing prices.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #69487
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestate View Post
Would appreciate some quick input on the following.
I'm on a week long trip to Norway and the bike has been doing great up until this afternoon. I will try to explain it as best as I can, however English isn't my native tounge so it will be kinda hard. So bear withI me please.

This afternoon after stopping for gas the bike felt awkward when I pulled off. On low revs in first and second it made some real clonking sounds, not the usual tiny protests but much louder. Also I could feel it very clearly in the foot pegs. However when I rev it the sounds good away. In neutral the engine sounds as normal. Sorry for the crappy explanation I hope I made myself understood.
Ummm could it be the gas? Sounds a little like pinking i.e. the gas has a low octane rating... have you used that brand/countries gas before?

Were you on reserve at the time you pulled in? And was it raining? You could have got some water in the bottom of the carb. Might be worth draining the carb for a look.

Try to separate the problem - either engine or gear box. I usually work on the last thing I did before the problem started. You did not play with anything just before the problem started?

If engine pinking then it will happen in any gear - just low revs and big throttle openings. If it is pinking then keeping the revs up and the load low (less stress) should remove the problem at least for the moment. Once the fuel is say half way down in the tank, get some good fuel in there and let it mix with the other stuff.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #69488
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
...husky tr650 terra a few $100s more and very changed.
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=26322

the Japanese better watch themselves or bmw is taking over in a big way
you might not like the technology but alot will when comparing prices.
186kg dry
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #69489
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrMnnn View Post
186kg dry
According to Husky, 184kg ready to ride, full tank. http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com...specifications
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:58 AM   #69490
Thunderhart8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Eek Gas tank retrofit

I have an 06 DR with a stock tank on it. I have been touring more and thinking of upgrading the fuel capacity. During some research I discovered the earlier generations came with stock fuel tanks that were much larger. Will an earlier generation fuel tank fit on the latest generation without modifications?? I was looking at the 1990 at 17ltrs would be a nice modification possibly. Any suggestions??
Thunderhart8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #69491
greystoke
2 wheel whore

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
The jet in question meters fuel to the cold start enrichment circuit.Do you mean the float needle?.
Yes

Quote:
Technically, BST40 carbs use cold start enrichment circuits instead of chokes (regardless of what the lettering on the lever might say). A choke is closed when an engine is cold and opened when it is warm, whereas a fuel enrichment circuit is opened when the engine is cold and closed when it is warm. A choke works by restricting the air flow, whereas an enrichment circuit works by adding extra fuel. A choke requires a fast idle cam or something akin to it (or you have to hold the throttle open manually), whereas an enrichment circuit adds a little extra air simultaneously with the extra fuel, so the fast idle is already built in. In any case, if the engine wont start from cold with the cold start enrichment lever activated, then it is likely that the fuel portion of the circuit is clogged somewhere, meaning that air will be let in (for the fast idle), but not enough fuel (making the mixture leaner instead of richer). This brings us to the jet you were cleaning. It's likely to still be dirty. On the other side of it, the fact that the engine will start from cold without the cold start enrichment circuit active means that the idle mixture is too rich, and should be readjusted when the engine is warm via the method I outlined in a previous post (or set to ~2.5-3.5% exhaust CO).

Regards,

Derek
That makes sense. I don't have access to an exhaust gas meter but my butt feels it's rich. I can fix that. The enrichment circuit jet though? Long soak in carb cleaner or see if a shop can blow it through for me? It's too small to pass anything through it i.e. nylon brush bristle
www.rightaroundaustralia.com

PX200
'86 K100RS
K7 DR650SE
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #69492
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
According to Husky, 184kg ready to ride, full tank. http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com...specifications
That's still stupid heavy.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #69493
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
That's still stupid heavy.
So is the DR, by the same reasoning. 18kg difference?
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #69494
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
So is the DR, by the same reasoning. 18kg difference?
Uhhh, that's a huge difference when talking about motorcycles. But you're right, the DR is stupid heavy as well.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #69495
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,947
Yeah, that's a pretty big difference, and at least it's in the DR650's favor.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote