User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #69586
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Tail Bag Help

I am hoping someone can help me...a few weeks back I ordered up a Nelson Rigg tail bag...

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=446

Bag arrived with absolutely no straps or any other way to connect it. So I ordered up some straps with some hooks on the ends...

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Tail-Bags...ps/114457.html

Straps arrive, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to mount this bag to the stock rack. There's simply nowhere to hook these things on to. Defeated, I decide it's really the stock rack that is causing me grief, I decide to order up the Pro Moto rack...

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id=190

Rack arrived Tuesday, and...well. I can't install it. It was intended to be installed with some "handles" that my bike apparently doesn't have, nor do I have any interest in acquiring. Even if I wanted to, Bike Bandit lists them as "discontinued".

See parts 1 & 2, my bike has the rack labeled 6.

http://www.bikebandit.com/2000-suzuk...5882#sch250030

http://www.promotobillet.com/03techn...MB-01-4203.pdf

Now, I am begging you...does anyone know how to install this bag on the DR? I am at wit's end.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #69587
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Are the straps not long enough to loop back to each other? You could also consider adding a couple small hooks where your license plate bolts up to the tail. Seems like your best bet would be making the straps run under the luggage rack and tightening down against each other on the opposite side. That'd hold it down onto the rack itself - especially if you weave them through the bars - then you could get a strap on each side down to the passenger peg mounts. That would keep it from flying off the back when you gun it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
I am hoping someone can help me...a few weeks back I ordered up a Nelson Rigg tail bag...

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=446

Bag arrived with absolutely no straps or any other way to connect it. So I ordered up some straps with some hooks on the ends...

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Tail-Bags...ps/114457.html

Straps arrive, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to mount this bag to the stock rack. There's simply nowhere to hook these things on to. Defeated, I decide it's really the stock rack that is causing me grief, I decide to order up the Pro Moto rack...

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id=190

Rack arrived Tuesday, and...well. I can't install it. It was intended to be installed with some "handles" that my bike apparently doesn't have, nor do I have any interest in acquiring. Even if I wanted to, Bike Bandit lists them as "discontinued".

See parts 1 & 2, my bike has the rack labeled 6.

http://www.bikebandit.com/2000-suzuk...5882#sch250030

http://www.promotobillet.com/03techn...MB-01-4203.pdf

Now, I am begging you...does anyone know how to install this bag on the DR? I am at wit's end.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #69588
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Better suspension
Better brakes
Better seat
Better overall "feel"
Better looking (subjective of course)
Funny how Kawasaki made all these things "better" but did not go so far as to make them "good"
Ok, the seat might be borderline.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #69589
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Are the straps not long enough to loop back to each other? You could also consider adding a couple small hooks where your license plate bolts up to the tail. Seems like your best bet would be making the straps run under the luggage rack and tightening down against each other on the opposite side. That'd hold it down onto the rack itself - especially if you weave them through the bars - then you could get a strap on each side down to the passenger peg mounts. That would keep it from flying off the back when you gun it.
Actually, they're too long and don't really shorten up enough for the scenario you've presented. Even if they did, there's nothing for them to really wrap on to and the bag would simply be flopping around on top of the rack, My idea with the Pro Moto rack was that the grill shape would give me more options for places to latch on to. So much for that idea!

Is there *ANY* tail bag that was designed to work with this stock rack? I mean, what good is it otherwise and/or what purpose was it meant to serve?

I am seriously open to any options at this point.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #69590
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Which needle would you recommend?
The non-USA OEM Suzuki adjustable needle.
Quote:
Does the KTM wear the slide guide etc much quicker than the DR?
The answer depends on the year. The '91-'95 DR will have similar wear characteristics as the KTM, as the slides have the same number and size of lift holes. The '96 and up DR will have reduced wear because of the single lift hole slide and the nickel plated emulsion tube.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #69591
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Funny how Kawasaki made all these things "better" but did not go so far as to make them "good"
Ok, the seat might be borderline.
Fair enough!
I had hoped KHI would have a done a "real" upgrade on the KLR back in '07. Big disappointment. I would have liked:
Fuel Injection
complete redesigned motor (lighter, more HP, more elec. output)
New chassis
Better suspension

Sure, price would increase ... and they'd sell everyone they would make.

Kawi could have done all this ... and soon will have to go to F.I. to pass EPA anyway. So they simply put off the inevitable. We all remember the KLX650 from the early 90's ... so IMO, the vision is there and KHI engineering talent is off the charts. Google them.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #69592
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
How incorrect is the needle shape for the mods we commonly do to the DR650's?
Very incorrect. Have a look at the description and CO trace of this graph:

The CO trace should be more or less flat with values between 3 and 5%. Instead, we have values between just over 2.5% and almost 10%.
Quote:
It would seem that the stock needle is the incorrect shape for modded (open air-box, aftermarket exhaust) DR's
The stock needle is less incorrect than this one.
Quote:
so then which company sells a correctly shaped one?
Factory Pro has recently changed some of their needles back to aluminum material. I don't know if they have done so with the DR kit. If so, this would be a good choice. If they are still titanium, I'd probably stay away. My top choices would be one of the non-USA OEM Suzuki needles or perhaps the KTM 640 LC4 needle. Additional tuning could be done via alternate emulsion tube selection.
Quote:
Or is it incorrect due to wear and fit, but not in metering fuel?
The chart should explain it.

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 11:52 AM
Old 09-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #69593
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
I would not use the DJ kit because of the incorrect needle shape. I would not drill the slide
The DJ kit and drilled slide work great in my old 98
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #69594
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
Actually, they're too long and don't really shorten up enough for the scenario you've presented. Even if they did, there's nothing for them to really wrap on to and the bag would simply be flopping around on top of the rack, My idea with the Pro Moto rack was that the grill shape would give me more options for places to latch on to. So much for that idea!

Is there *ANY* tail bag that was designed to work with this stock rack? I mean, what good is it otherwise and/or what purpose was it meant to serve?

I am seriously open to any options at this point.
I would send back the Pro Moto Billet rack ... I actually like the stock Suzuki rack better for carrying cargo.

You have several options here. My choice was to bolt a piece of plywood onto the stock Suzuki rack. This widens the platform and allows a duffel bag or large tail pack. You can screw in loops on the under side of the plywood if you want, or hooks of some kind. With just the stock rack you pretty much have to use the side handles to strap to or the turn signal extensions. (careful the wires)

Looks like that Nelson-Rigg has snap in connectors. Your strap kit should have matching snap in connectors. Adjust length. Criss cross them to adjust length.

Does your tail bag have any loops on the underside? Or anywhere to run a bungee or strap? Most bags do.

My favorite straps are the famous Roc-Straps. These are tough and adjustable. Look them up. Much better and stronger than standard Bungee.

funky plywood on rack. Some use a plastic cutting board or similar. It works.

This TourMaster Cortech tail bag has built in bungees and hooks. Mine are worn out so I use bungees or Roc-Straps. Works well.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 05:44 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #69595
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Do you have any dyno charts with CO traces to share?

Regards,

Derek
Old 09-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #69596
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I would send back the Pro Moto Billet rack ... I actually like the stock Suzuki rack better for carrying cargo.

You have several options here. My choice was to bolt a piece of plywood onto the stock Suzuki rack. This widens the platform and allows a duffel bag or large tail pack. You can screw in loops on the under side of the plywood if you want, or hooks of some kind. With just the stock rack you pretty much have to use the side handles to strap to or the turn signal extensions. (careful the wires)

Looks like that Nelson-Rigg has snap in connectors. Your strap kit should have matching snap in connectors. Adjust length. Criss cross them to adjust length.

Does your tail bag have any loops on the underside? Or anywhere to run a bungee or strap? Most bags do.

My favorite straps are the famous Roc-Straps. These are tough and adjustable. Look them up. Much better and stronger than standard Bungee.

funky plywood on rack. Some use a plastic cutting board or similar. It works.

This TourMaster Cortech tail bag has built in bungees and hooks. Mine are worn out so I use bungees or Roc-Straps. Works well.
I do have access to plenty of phenolic, and I was actually considering that as an option. There are absolutely no hooks of any kind on the bottom of this bag. There's two up near the handle, but they're not there for strapping the bag down. Good tip on the Roc straps, they look to have the same type of connector as the ones on the bag. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #69597
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I understand It may not be the best set up and next I would go most likley go with a pumper, but on my 2006 DR with DynoJet Kit runs great. I have 40,000 miles on the bike and somewere around 35,000 on the DJ with slide drilled, side cover removed, FMF and no problems yet (It may be about worn out and ready to fall apart).

On the last 10 or so fill ups y MPG have been between 47 and 50 MPG and I can easily lift the front in first gear with a twist of the throttle. and runs good from sea level to 10,000 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post

DR650 - Living the Dream!

Escaped screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 06:15 PM
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #69598
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I think it is running a little rich, plugs are on the dark side of grey. The only carb / fuel related problem I ever had was when I ran two tanks of unleaded gas (I have always used premium this is CA and we are subject to Ethanol ). About half way thru the second tank of unleaded, the bike would cut out during hard acceleration - kinda like you are running out of gas, but in a few second, acceleration would come back . When I went back to premium, the probem went away - cause and effect? I dont know, but for me and my Dr, I will stick to premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
I understand It may not be the best set up and next I would go most likley go with a pumper, but on my 2006 DR with DynoJet Kit runs great. I have 40,000 miles on the bike and somewere around 35,000 on the DJ with slid drilled and no problems yet (It may be about worn out and ready to fall apart).

On the last 10 or so fill ups y MPG have been between 47 and 50 MPG and I can easily lift the front in first gear with a twist of the throttle. and runs good from sea level to 10,000 feet.

DR650 - Living the Dream!

Escaped screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 06:33 PM
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #69599
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Do you have any dyno charts with CO traces to share?

Regards,

Derek
Naw, just runs smooth throughout the revs, no hesitations or hiccups, seat O pants dyno says 350 hp. Q4 exhaust with big header and opened air box.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #69600
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
I think it is running a little rich, plugs are on the dark side of grey. The only carb / fuel related problem I ever had was when I ran two tanks of unleaded gas (I have always used premium this is CA and we are subject to Ethanol ). About half way thru the second tank of unleaded, the bike would cut out during hard acceleration - kinda like you are running out of gas, but in a few second, acceleration would come back . When I went back to premium, the probem went away - cause and effect? I dont know, but for me and my Dr, I will stick to premium.
Unleaded gas?
All modern gas is unleaded...

The cutting out is because you are probably running rich and has nothing to do with premium, super, or regular octane fuel.

And just FYI, premium fuel in a low compression DR engine is a waste of your money.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote