Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #69796
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Col Rider View Post
Great info, thank you for taking the time. I'm off to Bike Bandit and Procycle. Hopefully there isn't any further damage. He was lucky to be far up hill from my house when it happened so he was able to coast the whole way home. I guess I have a winter project.
This is not a big deal. I doubt the shift lever needs replacing ... probably just straighten it out ... and re-tighten the shift lever bolt down tight. (they loosen normally ... especially when forced into the case) I also doubt internal linkage is bent. Never heard of that one.

I punched a hole in my case and simply used JB Weld to patch the hole. Sanded it down nicely and then glued the AMP case protector over it. Never another problem, even after 10 or so falls on the left side. The lever gets bent but no puncture.

You can do the patch with the case on if damage not too severe. Lay bike on right side, clean up, and carefully apply two part JB Weld to damaged area. (or other high quality metal repair compound).

If you've got a big hole then best to take case off to do repair. Take care when removing case: lay bike on right side, loosen all bolts and gently TAP case edges with rubber or wood mallet.
If you're lucky you can save the gasket and re-use. (save a few bucks there). If you tear it ... then replace.
Be sure to keep track of what bolts go where. Several different lengths, IIRC.

Have fun.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #69797
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I would go with grifter's advice, but it would not hurt to add a piece of metal window screen with the JB weld to make a stronger patch.
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #69798
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Hi,

I recently had a chance to swap bikes for a few miles with a buddy, he has a '96 model, mine is a '98. One thing struck us both, which is the huge difference in the level of vibrations between the two bikes, which are after all the same model. The first thing he said after riding my DR was "dude, your bike vibrates a lot". Also I felt his bike vibrated MUCH less.

To give an quantitative example, on his bike I was doing 110km/h (68mph) in the 4th gear and felt it was not asking much, the bike could easily do more. On my bike, if I go over 110km/h in 5th gear I feel that i'm asking too much from the engine. Notice the difference, at this speed his bike was in 4th gear and felt butter smooth, mine was in 5th and felt stressed.
Ok, there is a small difference in gearing, I am running 15/43 while he is using the stock 15/41 gearing. The gearing difference is minimal however.

Apart from that, both bikes are almost stock. Stock carbs, snorkles in place, performance pipes installed to save weight.

The difference between the two bikes was absolutely huge, this seriously got me thinking maybe something is wrong (maybe valve timing, maybe the balancer is not installed coorectly, who knows what else....). I would say that, for example in 4th gear, his DR ar 110km/h (68mph) is as smooth as, or smoother than mine at 80km/h (50mph).

So I am asking you, how fast should a stock DR go and still feel smooth?
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #69799
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathu View Post
Apart from that, both bikes are almost stock. Stock carbs, snorkles in place, performance pipes installed to save weight.

The difference between the two bikes was absolutely huge, this seriously got me thinking maybe something is wrong (maybe valve timing, maybe the balancer is not installed coorectly, who knows what else....). I would say that, for example in 4th gear, his DR ar 110km/h (68mph) is as smooth as, or smoother than mine at 80km/h (50mph).

Did you check the chains to see if one was bad and the other good? Back when we used Chain Wax, I could hear the chain on my wife's Monster when I was riding behind her. Switched to proper chain lube and a new set of chains and sprockets and never had that problem again.

A tight or kinked chain can make such a big difference to a bike's feel.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #69800
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 2,988
Smooth is awfully relative so pretty hard to give anything but a subjective answer. Mine seems fine at 70 mph, until I get on my Concours 14 then I remember what real smooth is. Perhaps you have bad or improperly torqued engine mount bolts??
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #69801
deathu
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Did you check the chains to see if one was bad and the other good? Back when we used Chain Wax, I could hear the chain on my wife's Monster when I was riding behind her. Switched to proper chain lube and a new set of chains and sprockets and never had that problem again.

A tight or kinked chain can make such a big difference to a bike's feel.
The chain on my bike has under 1000 miles, installed with new cush drive rubbers and sprockets, and also with sufficient sag. I know how much problems an incorrect chain setup can create... had serious chain issues on one of my other bikes. By comparison the chain I installed on the DR is very quiet... actually I couldn't hear it at all, even when I had the stock muffler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Smooth is awfully relative so pretty hard to give anything but a subjective answer. Mine seems fine at 70 mph, until I get on my Concours 14 then I remember what real smooth is. Perhaps you have bad or improperly torqued engine mount bolts??
70mph, in 4th or in 5th gear? My buddy's bike felt really smooth in 5th gear up to around 85mph (130-140km/h). I know this is a subjective matter, but common sense applies I think... there's no way my bike would go over 120km/h without feeling it's going to disintegrate really soon.
Thanks for the engine mounting bolts tip, I'm going to check that.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #69802
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,203
Quote:
I typically haven't been over 80mph and very seldom. I've actually never been on the interstate on my bike, all rural highway, rural road and dirt. When I have cranked it up a little to pass a car on the highway I've gotten to 80mph in 5th and it was smooth. It felt very smooth in fact; HOWEVER, I recently put knobbies on and whoa! what a difference. It's night and day. The knobs are squirrely, vibey, etc. I ride 5 - 7 days a week. Rode one day at 80mph, the next with knobs and wow.

I don't know if your bikes are set up the same other than gearing, but realize you're turning about 5% higher RPM at any given speed. If your tires aren't the same, it could account for a LOT of vibes compared to more road oriented tires.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #69803
deathu
Adventurer

Indeed knobby tires do add some vibration, but the vibration I have is much worse than that caused by knobby tires alone. I currently have Pirelli MT21s on the bike. If I grab the clutch lever at speed and let the engine idle, the vibration level drops significantly, even though the bike is still rolling at 110km/h on those MT21s. This makes me think that the actual source of the worst vibrations is the engine itself, unless I am overlooking something...
Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #69804
doug s.
Banned

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Indeed knobby tires do add some vibration, but the vibration I have is much worse than that caused by knobby tires alone. I currently have Pirelli MT21s on the bike. If I grab the clutch lever at speed and let the engine idle, the vibration level drops significantly, even though the bike is still rolling at 110km/h on those MT21s. This makes me think that the actual source of the worst vibrations is the engine itself. Am I overlooking something?
maybe the counterbalencer is off?

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #69805
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
On my recently acquired DR I get vibes under load such as acceleration or climbing a hill. I already checked motor mounts, but I am suspecting chain. Bike had 14 countershaft sprocket when I bought it. Only 7000 on bike. Any ideas how to tell if chain/sprockets are causing this? Oh, I checked the cushdrive and rear bearings.

wee-twin screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 07:10 PM Reason: More info
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #69806
deathu
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
maybe the counterbalencer is off?

doug s.
This deffinitely is one of the possibilities I am thinking about. Until now I understand that the possible causes may be:
- enine mounts not torqued correctly
- counterbalancer off by a few teeth (I don't know the history of the engine, I don't know if it was opened or not)
- valve timing may be incorrect (camshaft may be off by one tooth? would the engine even work in this situation?)

Any other possible causes?

LE. Just rode from work to home, and I did a new test. Got to a speed where the vibrations were problematic, grabbed the clutch, let the engine idle for a second then revved it to about the same RPM it was running before, while still holding the clutch. The bad vibes came back, the same as under load. I think this eliminates the drive train as a possible cause...it must be the engine

deathu screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 07:50 PM
Old 10-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #69807
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 780
Hey everyone, I'm hoping to get back into dualsporting after some time commuting on a street bike.

I have a 1990 Honda Pacific Coast 800 in pristine condition that I am looking to trade for a DR 650. I'm in the Vegas area, so if you know anyone nearby that is looking for a street bike, send them my way, thanks!
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #69808
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by wee-twin View Post
On my recently acquired DR I get vibes under load such as acceleration or climbing a hill. I already checked motor mounts, but I am suspecting chain. Bike had 14 countershaft sprocket when I bought it. Only 7000 on bike. Any ideas how to tell if chain/sprockets are causing this? Oh, I checked the cushdrive and rear bearings.
Does it have a high compression piston? Mine does and it is smooth until I use the power. Cruising its just fine.
:2008 DR650 :2009 Aprilia DorsoDuro
:2009 KLR 650 :more to come
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #69809
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wee-twin View Post
Look down and see if the front of the chain is jumping around.

If the vibes smooth out under heavy acceleration, then it's probably the chain.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #69810
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,088
Quote:
70mph, in 4th or in 5th gear? My buddy's bike felt really smooth in 5th gear up to around 85mph (130-140km/h). I know this is a subjective matter, but common sense applies I think... there's no way my bike would go over 120km/h without feeling it's going to disintegrate really soon.
Thanks for the engine mounting bolts tip, I'm going to check that.
I run over 90MPH (indicated) for miles at a time out west. With 16/46 sprockets, 90/90-21 front Shinko 244, and a 130/80-17 rear Kenda K761, the DR feels fine.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote