Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #69946
maynard911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Which boots are those? They'll probably do just fine for the time being. You may need to raise the shift lever a little so you can get your toe under it.

The only downside is these boots squeak like mad. I've read you can oil them, but I haven't tried yet.

Rob
Oh boy, a new oil thread!
Dino or synthetic.
what weight,
what do you think of blends,
do you go down a grade in the winter,
blah, blah, blah
Old 10-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #69947
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB View Post
Is that a spare stock tank on the right? it looks larger than what is on the bike in the background,, must be a figment of my imagination.
Yes, It's brand new stock tank.

Tho I am not sure if the plastic tank is bigger or not.
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #69948
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
Yes, It's brand new stock tank.

Tho I am not sure if the plastic tank is bigger or not.
That's a Clarke tank. It's almost 1/2 gallon bigger than stock.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #69949
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
And 5 or so lbs lighter

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #69950
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
I think it is for sure 1/2 gal more, the Clarke i bought from you guys actually holds 3.91 gallons, but i guess they may vary a little, i like that size tank, works perfect for around these parts on a dual sport.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #69951
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Puncture!

Quick question or two....
I seem to have a slow puncture in the back wheel which is a standard DR650 wheel. The tire is a Dunlop 606 and states tube type on the tire wall. I've repaired about a thousand bicycle punctures so figure this is the same but scaled up. I plan to get hold of a pair of tire irons and a new innertube, swap the tube out, check inside the tire for the cause and put it all back together. Then repair the old tube and keep as a spare.

Question 1 - what size innertube should I be buying? The tire is 130/90/17

Question 2 - is there anything else I should be aware of? There doesn't seem to anything like a rimlock on these wheels.
Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #69952
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
I seem to have a slow puncture in the back wheel which is a standard DR650 wheel. The tire is a Dunlop 606 and states tube type on the tire wall. I've repaired about a thousand bicycle punctures so figure this is the same but scaled up. I plan to get hold of a pair of tire irons and a new innertube, swap the tube out, check inside the tire for the cause and put it all back together. Then repair the old tube and keep as a spare.

Question 2 - is there anything else I should be aware of? There doesn't seem to anything like a rimlock on these wheels.
That's a solid plan.
Most tubes have the old inch sizing so expect to find a 5.10-17 tube.
You're in good shape having lots of bicycle tire experience. Expect it to take quite a bit more effort and don't pinch the tube putting it back together.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #69953
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
That's a solid plan.
Most tubes have the old inch sizing so expect to find a 5.10-17 tube.
You're in good shape having lots of bicycle tire experience. Expect it to take quite a bit more effort and don't pinch the tube putting it back together.
Awesome! Thankyou.

Thanks also for all the excellent Procycle service recently. I've put two or three orders in recently and everything has been in stock, arrived quick. Very refreshing, I couldn't ask for more. Thankyou!
Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #69954
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
My so called 4.9 IMS now takes 5.4 gallons once emptied of every drop of fuel ... BUT it can only really use about 4.5 gallons before running out when on reserve. You can tip her over and get a bit more, but that's a last ditch effort, maybe worth 10 to 15 miles further.
Hi,

In which part of the IMS tank does the unusable fuel actually remain? Is this corrected if you rotate the fuel inlet of the carb as discussed on the previous pages?
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #69955
Thanas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Just a quick reply regarding my bearings.

Getting double-sealed bearings was very easy. All you need is the 6204 and 6205 code. And the parts store does the rest. I've got the bearing ready to be put in, just waiting for the extra seals and get the bike back together this weekend.

@Chill

I change my tires by hand also, and just because you've got lot's off experience with bicycle tires (me too), does not mean motorcycle tires may be easy. You can muscle a bicycle tire on pretty easily. When you have to use your muscle on a motorcycle tire, your not doing it right.

My advise, check youtube, and watch a few video's for tips and tricks. The first time i tried mounting motorcycle tires (tubeless even) it took me 3 hours for 2 tires.

Last time, it took me 3 minutes to take the old tire off. That is after having done some 20 tires i'm guessing. All is in the technique. Take it easy, and as long as your not sweating, your doing it right.

Greetings,
Thanas
Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #69956
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Having spent years in a bicycle shop, I can replace a bike tire in five minutes, but still takes me closer to a half hour to mount up a tube tire on a motorcycle, even after mounting up more than a dozen. Some of the technique is the same, but it is much more difficult.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #69957
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post

If you haven't already gotten your tire irons, I wouldn't recommend the 'spoon' type irons. I pinched three different tubes trying to spoon on my rear tire with those irons. Then the flat type with the hook looking bit at the end was supplied to me by one of the awesome ADV folks in my area, and we got the tire on in about 10 minutes without any problems at all. Use lots of baby powder, and it'll slide clear.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #69958
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathu View Post
Hi,

In which part of the IMS tank does the unusable fuel actually remain? Is this corrected if you rotate the fuel inlet of the carb as discussed on the previous pages?
The IMS tank has "Lobes" or "ears" on the lower front, both left and right sides.

The Lobes are the lowest point and fuel collects there and can't always reach the petcock, especially the fuel on the Right lobe. As much as 2 liters is not usable on the IMS tank.

The Acerbis tank does not seem to have such deep lobes, so perhaps this is why more fuel is usable as almost all of the fuel flows to petcock.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #69959
Tour_man
n00b

Oddometer: 6
When the F800GS first came out I wanted one, then the 800XC arrived and I wanted it. What I thought I needed was one dual sport bike that would replace my my CBF1000, and take me over the Continental Divide. Instead I bought a Bandit 1250, and a DR650. The DR was a good choice for doing the divide, but it really isn't well suited for any long distance highway riding. It just vibrates too much, but on the plus side, the bike is tough and can take a beating without really showing it. Choice of bikes is always a compromise of some sort. For the gravel roads we road, the 800's would have been fine. But, when we detoured off the traditional Divide trail and rode from Creede Co. on FS520 up Timber Hill, Stony Pass, Engineer Pass, and on to Lake City the bigger bikes would have been a real handfull, especially Timber Hill. The DR was the perfect tool for me.
Tour_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #69960
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The IMS tank has "Lobes" or "ears" on the lower front, both left and right sides.

The Lobes are the lowest point and fuel collects there and can't always reach the petcock, especially the fuel on the Right lobe. As much as 2 liters is not usable on the IMS tank.

The Acerbis tank does not seem to have such deep lobes, so perhaps this is why more fuel is usable as almost all of the fuel flows to petcock.
I have never actually run my DR/IMS tank out of gas, but that seems like a lot of fuel left behind. I can go 225 miles before reserve (4.5gal @ 50mpg average) and have gone another 20 miles @ .4 gal on reserve. 4.9 total leaving .2 gal- maybe .4 if you figure the tank has expanded. .75L to 1.5L

Your 2L isn't far off I guess after doing the math. I haven't actually measured my tank since I got it (marked on the sides) but the pump and marks seem to match up pretty close. Since new my tank has held over 5 gallon even though they say it is 4.9.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote