ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #70096
neo1piv014
ADV in training
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 619
She looks good!
__________________
_________________________
Ride videos
'01 DR650
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #70097
Ren20
Finding Touge
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 111
I have a rm250 1990s Donor bike. Almost complete bike without the cylinder head and seat. Everything else is there. USD forks, bigger rear wheels(19" ??) etc.
I am wondering what kind of parts I could fit onto the dr650. Is it even worth it?

Is it a rm250 by the way? :)

Ren20 screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 09:52 PM
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #70098
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker
 
sagebrushocean's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: jackrabbit country
Oddometer: 179
780 for sale in Seattle area

No affiliation, but I might give this one a test ride.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/3303257537.html
__________________
2008 DR650SE supermoto
2009 CRF230M
sagebrushocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #70099
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJxr View Post
this is what i am after! i have a fresh set of mt21s mounted with heavy duty tubes. do you have any gps tracks or maps/guides. looking to make the most of my time out there
http://www.dualsportmaps.com/

Ck dsm for tracks. Strega and Crawdaddy on ADV have some tracks up there. We did the X-Plane ride http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index...__1#entry35945 a few years ago and a lot of our local group spends time up there.

I missed the Utah trip a week or so ago. http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index...-of-utah-1012/


Enjoy!

Ren20 - that thing looks like it did all 7700 miles in a climate controled garage! Nice.
__________________
www.dualsportmoto.com
2005 DR650 2003 DRZ-250
2013 HD Road King '73 Hodaka Wombat

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #70100
neo1piv014
ADV in training
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushocean View Post
No affiliation, but I might give this one a test ride.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/3303257537.html
I've always wanted to try out the DR with the big bore kit and a TM40 carb just to see what kind of a difference it makes. You'll have to tell us how the test drive goes
__________________
_________________________
Ride videos
'01 DR650
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #70101
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
I have a rm250 1990s Donor bike. Almost complete bike without the cylinder head and seat. Everything else is there. USD forks, bigger rear wheels(19" ??) etc.
I am wondering what kind of parts I could fit onto the dr650. Is it even worth it?
Presumably the front end is bolt on. Probably pass on the 19" rear. Front brake may be a challenge. Go for it.
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #70102
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: md
Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
I have a rm250 1990s Donor bike. Almost complete bike without the cylinder head and seat. Everything else is there. USD forks, bigger rear wheels(19" ??) etc.
I am wondering what kind of parts I could fit onto the dr650. Is it even worth it?

Is it a rm250 by the way? :)
yes, the usd front end should be a bolt-on. i bolted an rm125 usd front end on to mine. i upgraded the springs to race tech... mine was from a mid-2000's bike, but the front end looks like yours...


doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #70103
Ren20
Finding Touge
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 111
ah. Thanks for the info.

Now, that the RM is older model. I am wondering if the front suspension is better than a newer model DR650.

Dual sport is all new to me. And I have been reading everything about dr650. I rode around 90 miles on Saturday. The Suspension felt fine. tho it was all freeway. I am a lite rider at 155 lbs.

I think the brake definite have rooms for improvement. The front rotor on the RM is significantly smaller. I could imagine the brake would be worse after the swap.

Quote:
yes, the usd front end should be a bolt-on. i bolted an rm125 usd front end on to mine. i upgraded the springs to race tech... mine was from a mid-2000's bike, but the front end looks like yours...

Ren20 screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 10:45 PM
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #70104
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: md
Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
ah. Thanks for the info.

Now, that the RM is older model. I am wondering if the front suspension is better than a newer model DR650.

Dual sport is all new to me. And I have been reading everything about dr650. I rode around 90 miles on Saturday. The Suspension felt fine. tho it was all freeway. I am a lite rider at 155 lbs.

I think the brake definite how rooms for improvement. The front rotor on the RM is significantly smaller. I could imagine the brake would be worse after the swap.
i'd think that, w/a proper spring for your weight, the front end of your mr will still be a lot better than the stock dr front end. i agree, the brakes will need an upgrade. i am planning on doing a 320mm conwersion; they're awailable for the rm's, and include the offset bracket needed. caliper needs no changing; my dr caliper works w/the stock rm front end/brakes...

oh, sst brake line is also a good upgrade, even if you keep the stock dr front end/brake rotor......

doug s.

doug s. screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 10:25 PM Reason: sst brake line mention
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #70105
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker
 
sagebrushocean's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: jackrabbit country
Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
I think the brake definite how rooms for improvement.
A braided stainless front brake line will make a world of difference if all the other stock bits (pads, rotor, caliper, master cylinder) are in good shape.
__________________
2008 DR650SE supermoto
2009 CRF230M
sagebrushocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #70106
disconnected
ultra runner
 
disconnected's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 6,673
Howdy again folks, I have a quick question. I received my Acerbis Tank and went to put it on. On the stock tank there where two hoses, one connected to the bottom left of the carb and the other connected to the top right-ish section.

The Acerbis only has one outlet, was the second hose on the stock tank a breather hose?

Thanks,

Greg
__________________
IBA # 47004
disconnected is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #70107
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Howdy again folks, I have a quick question. I received my Acerbis Tank and went to put it on. On the stock tank there where two hoses, one connected to the bottom left of the carb and the other connected to the top right-ish section.

The Acerbis only has one outlet, was the second hose on the stock tank a breather hose?

Thanks,

Greg
The hose to the top of the carb is a vacuum which triggers the automatic fuel tap to flow fuel. If you're using a gravity feed with only one hose, plug the vacuum fitting on top of the carb.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #70108
disconnected
ultra runner
 
disconnected's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 6,673
ahh okay.. any hints on what to plug it with?

Thanks,

Greg
__________________
IBA # 47004
disconnected is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #70109
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
ahh okay.. any hints on what to plug it with?

Thanks,

Greg
There's usually a little rubber plug which comes with the tank/tap. I figure most people put that over the vacuum fitting but I left the hose on the carb fitting and stuffed the rubber plug into the free end of the hose, effectively plugging it. This way if I ever need a piece of tube, there's a handy one right there.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #70110
disconnected
ultra runner
 
disconnected's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 6,673
Okay, great. Thanks for the help. The 5.3 Natural tone Acerbis changes the look of the bike to.... SWEET!....

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
There's usually a little rubber plug which comes with the tank/tap. I figure most people put that over the vacuum fitting but I left the hose on the carb fitting and stuffed the rubber plug into the free end of the hose, effectively plugging it. This way if I ever need a piece of tube, there's a handy one right there.
__________________
IBA # 47004
disconnected is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014