User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #70111
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
ah. Thanks for the info.

Now, that the RM is older model. I am wondering if the front suspension is better than a newer model DR650.

Dual sport is all new to me. And I have been reading everything about dr650. I rode around 90 miles on Saturday. The Suspension felt fine. tho it was all freeway. I am a lite rider at 155 lbs.

I think the brake definite have rooms for improvement. The front rotor on the RM is significantly smaller. I could imagine the brake would be worse after the swap.

Quote:
yes, the usd front end should be a bolt-on. i bolted an rm125 usd front end on to mine. i upgraded the springs to race tech... mine was from a mid-2000's bike, but the front end looks like yours...

Ren20 screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 09:45 PM
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #70112
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
ah. Thanks for the info.

Now, that the RM is older model. I am wondering if the front suspension is better than a newer model DR650.

Dual sport is all new to me. And I have been reading everything about dr650. I rode around 90 miles on Saturday. The Suspension felt fine. tho it was all freeway. I am a lite rider at 155 lbs.

I think the brake definite how rooms for improvement. The front rotor on the RM is significantly smaller. I could imagine the brake would be worse after the swap.
i'd think that, w/a proper spring for your weight, the front end of your mr will still be a lot better than the stock dr front end. i agree, the brakes will need an upgrade. i am planning on doing a 320mm conwersion; they're awailable for the rm's, and include the offset bracket needed. caliper needs no changing; my dr caliper works w/the stock rm front end/brakes...

oh, sst brake line is also a good upgrade, even if you keep the stock dr front end/brake rotor......

doug s.

doug s. screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 09:25 PM Reason: sst brake line mention
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #70113
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
I think the brake definite how rooms for improvement.
A braided stainless front brake line will make a world of difference if all the other stock bits (pads, rotor, caliper, master cylinder) are in good shape.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:28 AM   #70114
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,556
Howdy again folks, I have a quick question. I received my Acerbis Tank and went to put it on. On the stock tank there where two hoses, one connected to the bottom left of the carb and the other connected to the top right-ish section.

The Acerbis only has one outlet, was the second hose on the stock tank a breather hose?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #70115
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Howdy again folks, I have a quick question. I received my Acerbis Tank and went to put it on. On the stock tank there where two hoses, one connected to the bottom left of the carb and the other connected to the top right-ish section.

The Acerbis only has one outlet, was the second hose on the stock tank a breather hose?

Thanks,

Greg
The hose to the top of the carb is a vacuum which triggers the automatic fuel tap to flow fuel. If you're using a gravity feed with only one hose, plug the vacuum fitting on top of the carb.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #70116
disconnected
ultra runner

ahh okay.. any hints on what to plug it with?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #70117
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,908
Quote:

Thanks,

Greg
There's usually a little rubber plug which comes with the tank/tap. I figure most people put that over the vacuum fitting but I left the hose on the carb fitting and stuffed the rubber plug into the free end of the hose, effectively plugging it. This way if I ever need a piece of tube, there's a handy one right there.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #70118
disconnected
ultra runner

Okay, great. Thanks for the help. The 5.3 Natural tone Acerbis changes the look of the bike to.... SWEET!....

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
There's usually a little rubber plug which comes with the tank/tap. I figure most people put that over the vacuum fitting but I left the hose on the carb fitting and stuffed the rubber plug into the free end of the hose, effectively plugging it. This way if I ever need a piece of tube, there's a handy one right there.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #70119
Eggsontoast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Wicked

Just a thought, has anyone tried to fit the XTZ660's front fairing and tank assembly on to a DR? Pat
Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #70120
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Westley's Bleache White (tire/whitewall cleaner from Walmart) worked very well on a white tank I had. I soaked paper towels in the Westley's and left them draped on the tank overnight. Soak them again the next morning if you need to.

Sarah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Thanks for the info Sarah I almost bought some of that Bleache White when I was in Walmart the other day, but after reading the label it made me a little nervous that it might damage or streak the tank, and damage the paint and other stuff on my bike if I wasn't super careful.
Maybe I ought to pull the tank off so I can really soak it good...
Soft Scrub with bleach also works very well on white tanks. I had a white Safari Tank on my Husky and it easily took off the GA Red clay that had stained the tank.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #70121
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggsontoast View Post
Just a thought, has anyone tried to fit the XTZ660's front fairing and tank assembly on to a DR? Pat
That'd be cool looking. It'd probably be more expensive trying to fab that up than just buying a custom fairing kit designed for it though.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #70122
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Use 13508-17C00 CAP in conjunction with 13671-05A40 CLIP, or install 13502-12D00 COVER, DIAPHRAGM in place of your existing one.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #70123
disconnected
ultra runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Use 13508-17C00 CAP in conjunction with 13671-05A40 CLIP, or install 13502-12D00 COVER, DIAPHRAGM in place of your existing one.

Regards,

Derek
Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #70124
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,827
Quote:

Suzuki part #'s for a rubber vacuum cap and small spring clamp that will fit over where the vaccum hose is now. Or the cover which has no vacuum port. Your local auto parts store should have an assortment of vacuum caps/plugs for a couple of bucks.

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #70125
disconnected
ultra runner

I just thought the other guy was picking on me..
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
Suzuki part #'s for a rubber vacuum cap and small spring clamp that will fit over where the vaccum hose is now. Or the cover which has no vacuum port. Your local auto parts store should have an assortment of vacuum caps/plugs for a couple of bucks.