Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #70231
sharpblade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Could someone tell me the size of the rear axle nut and the size of the oil plug nut. Thank you.
sharpblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #70232
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpblade View Post
Could someone tell me the size of the rear axle nut and the size of the oil plug nut. Thank you.
OTTOMH, 24 and 14 mm
Old 10-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #70233
sharpblade
Adventurer

Thank you so much. I was also trying to find a free download for the dr manual. I had a 2006 dr and had the manual but sold the bike about 3 years ago and gave the manual away. Just bought a new 2012 dr and am in need again.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #70234
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
I just want it to work, its a long way home everyday and that surging is awful!
When you get your bike running properly with those mods, then get back on a stock bike, you'll realize just how much more fun and useful your bike is modded over a stocker. A properly modded DR/XRL/KLR etc is a whole nother beast from the super restricted EPA versions. Once you get used to a properly running modded machine, stock will never thrill you again
Old 10-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #70235
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
OK. Does whether or not the cold start enrichment circuit is active make any difference to the severity of the surging?

Is the cold start enrichment circuit required to be active for it to start from cold?

Regards,

Derek
the enricher on the left handlebar? it makes no difference at speed. I turned it on while on the highway at nearly 70mph and noticed no difference.
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #70236
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
What year, how many miles, just curious?

Don't let the length of this post scare you, there are several solutions for the same issue. Get a new gasket before you start, some break, some don't. Mine broke into several pieces.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=15
2004, 6281 miles. I'm gonna check the bulb first and then order up a new gasket. Another thing I noticed that it won't start with the side stand down.

Edit: Checked the bulb, it is fine. On to plan B.

mrprez screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 05:15 AM
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #70237
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,058
The challenge of transmissions are huge. I worked for a long time at a shop who made custom drag racing transmissions for high-powered bikes and I can tell you there is a LOT that goes into making a transmission. The one thing that fascinated me was the hardening process. Different gears, shafts, and forks were all hardened differently. I can't go into the science of it here, but a gear with dogs on it may be softer than a gear with engagement slots on it, also one gear set me be harder than another.
Not knowing, nor have I seen a blown up third gear i cannot say what the issue it, but I am pretty sure Suzuki as do all manufacturers "play" with the hardening of the parts. They most likely just got it wrong.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #70238
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
I just posted this over in the no moaning and pissing thread, sorry if there is some rule against making the same post in two threads but I couldn't be bothered reading the site rules.

I just got to thinking.
Everyone refers to the DR650 as the ultimate 'zombie apocalypse' bike.
Sorry, but I tend to disagree.
Why?
The bike is not fuel efficient enough.
Ok ok, the DR650 is quite a fuel efficient bike, especially considering how much forward-lurching torque blast-outta-da-cornerz fun it has, it really is.
But for a zombie apocalypse/post nuclear disaster bike? Sorry, no.
The bikes that will truly shine when shit really hits the motherfucken fan will be bikes such as the TW200, the CT110, the DR250, the XT200.
Bikes which use fuck all of nothing petrol and will get you anywhere and everywhere, and will keep thumping along happily all day. Because lets face it, petrol is going to be damn near unobtainable, and when you can get it, it will be very expensive (think $5 a litre) and people who sell it will be few and far between.

OR.

A multi-fuel motor equipped DR650, a la the HAYES-DT M1030-M2, capable of achieving near 100 MPG. Now THAT would be unstoppable.
Think of the logic behind it. A powerful, high-revving, torque rich, mechanical direct injected, indestructible engine capable of achieving astonishing astonishing fuel mileage mated with the most versatile best go-anywhere any-time bike known to man.

When the zombie apocalypse/post nuclear disaster inevitably hits, there's going to plenty of people scraping a living together making fuel this engine is capable of happily running on. It is going to be the most widely available and cheapest fuel in existence. After all, you can make kerosene/diesel out of used motor oil (providing you run it through an oil cleaner first) very cheap and biodiesel out of vegetable crops, and lets not forget the vast quantities of unused jet fuel that will be looming around in stores. All of which the M1030-M2's engine is capable of running on quite happily.

One of these days either Hayes-DT is going to release their magnificent single cylinder diesel motorcycle engine into the public sector, or someone is going to design and manufacture an equivalent nearly as good (perhaps better?) engine and make it available for sale to the public. I plan on being one of the first to have it adapted it to the DR650 when this happens, so that I will have the edge when petroleum becomes unobtainium.

Like this...

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-90964.html

Maybe this is the final product?

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)

GaThumper screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 06:05 AM
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #70239
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
That doesn't look rough from here, nice buy! I really like mine as long as I can get the surging to stop.
I need to post a pic but don't have a smugmug or anything.
If you don't want to create an account or anything, IMGUR.com is pretty solid. Just feed it pictures and it spits out a link.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #70240
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
Like this...

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-90964.html

[IMG]http://www.adventurebikerider.com/images/stories/altius-scimitar-670-diesel-motorcycle-2.jpg[/ IMG]
Last I heard, HDT was well on their way to going tits up.

I'd also love to know how adding a diesel to a KLR makes it 50lbs lighter.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #70241
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Interesting comment about the Deka being actually higher CCA than the rated @ 120. i've always had nothing to top service and life out of Deka and will continue to keep buy $60 http://www.tristatebattery.com/produ...roducts_id=973 for my DR.
After 4 yrs i just pay another $60 and have peace of mind for another 4yrs. Easy as pie.

Saving a few lbs on a Shorai when used in a heavy DR seemed more like a waste of $ IMO, but i know alot of guys love em. Sure on a light dirtbike where every lbs counts it makes sense, but the DR is heavy and not a dirtbike.

Crazy how Yuasa is getting those larger batteries in the same size and still using AGM. If you look at Deka sizing is does go up and what i'd expect.
http://www.etx9.com/
http://www.etx12.com/
http://www.etx14.com/

In the end, my $ is on a new Deka and 60 bones too.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
There are some more powerful batteries that will fit our battery box. I haven't tried one yet, but when my Deka battery needs replacing again (in a few years!) I might try one of the "bigger" batterys. Here's some info I picked up when I was looking at replacing the battery on my '09.

I'm using a Deka battery made by East Penn Mfg. Their replacement for the standard Yuasa YTX9-BS is the ETX9.

I haven't tried it myself but I have found out that there are three Yuasa Batteries that are almost exactly the same physical size, but more Amp Hours/Cold Cranking Amps. I was really tempted to try one in my '09 when I replaced the battery this spring, but ended up going with the Deka.

The stock YTX9-BS-BS is 150x87x105 mm and 8AH/120CCA
The YTX-12A-BS is an AGM battery with the same dimensions and 9.5AH/175CCA
The YTZ 12S is an AGM battery that is 150x87x110 (5mm taller) and 11AH/210CCA
The YTZ 14S is an AGM battery that is also 150x87x110 and packs 11.2AH and 230CCA

I went to pick up 2 of the YTZ14S for me and my riding buddy and when tested one of the only two in stock had a bad cell. That made me uneasy, so I had him bring out a Deka ETX9 and test it and it exceeded the CCA of the YTZ14S so I bought the American made Dekka this time. (the salesperson told me Deka is known to be conservative in rating their batteries) I'd still like to do a side by side comparison of the YTZ battery and see if it spins the DR any better, but I've always had good service from the Dekka, so I'm not sure if I'll switch next time or not.

It sure looks like the YTZ14S might be an interesting replacement for the YTX9. It;s only 3/16" taller (5mm) and with a couple of washers under the battery retainer it apparantly fits under the seat just fine. However, if you are really concerned about weight, it does weigh about 2 pounds more than the stocker.

The only concern I might have is that there are probably more plates in the higher capacity battary in the same (relatively) size package. I've read before that this could cause a problem due to the plates being closer together.

Having said all that, I'm REALLY satisfied with the Deka ETX9. Also made in the U.S. of A. if that matters to you.

I can't take credit for this. Here's the article I found this info in and a big THANK YOU to "Scott", wherever you are!

http://www.cs.clemson.edu/~westall/8...ki-battery.pdf
Yup,worrying about weight on a DR is a little silly.
Like putting a 400.00 FMF muffler on,listening to all that noise,the bike still approaches 400 lbs with gas.
Ive used all manner of 60.00 batteries,most last 3 years. None have melted of their own accord like some Shorai's I have seen pics of.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #70242
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
If you don't want to create an account or anything, IMGUR.com is pretty solid. Just feed it pictures and it spits out a link.
I like that! Pretty easy to upload and get the link for the image.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #70243
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
If one were to pro-actively rebuild the Transmission, and wanted to make sure its as bulletproof as possible, would you use aftermarket parts or not?
I realize our friends at Procycle [and maybe others?] have a super high-quality 3rd gear kit, but I'm wondering if the collective really KNOW FOR SURE what causes the 3rd gear to detonate the trans??? Its just really hard for me to fathom that Suzi would manufacture all the parts for the trans, and keep on manufacturing just one defective component... it does not pass sniff test.

So if rebuilding with Race-proven Baja-capable parts is the ticket - is there any science on how many of them blowup for one reason or other? how many units have been tested, in-service, for long periods of time as have the Suzuki parts? its a rhetorical question....

you who have done the job, what did you use?
The "evidence" on 3rd gear blowups is sketchy at best,less then 1% of all DR's scatter their engines for one reason or another,people look inside and think about all the 3rd gear explosions they have read about on the internet and decide that must be what happened.
Once the insides are fragmented,its hard to tell what really happened.

Some guys on the internet have picked up the 3rd gear blowup as a cause and have run with it as far as they can,to me,rebuilding a DR trans because it might blow up is a pricey thing to do,for a problem that most likely will never happen.

Race Proven DR parts? Who would race one of these tanks in Baja to prove the parts?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #70244
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
OK. Does whether or not the cold start enrichment circuit is active make any difference to the severity of the surging?

Is the cold start enrichment circuit required to be active for it to start from cold?

Regards,

Derek
It Will start without the enricher, at idle i can turn the enricher on and the engine cuts off. At speed it makes no difference.

Thanks for all the help btw!

The tank is good and clean as well as the little filter in the fuel elbow, got that far. Plugs are light colored, kinda white maybe grey
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #70245
sharpblade
Adventurer

[QUOTE=BergDonk;19851960]OTTOMH, 24 and 14 mm[/Q

Just discovered mine used a 17 mm wrench for the oil plug.