Old 10-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #70246
Minsk99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
[QUOTE=sharpblade;19853223]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
OTTOMH, 24 and 14 mm[/Q

Just discovered mine used a 17 mm wrench for the oil plug.
The stock is 17mm. Many of the aftermarket, magnetic plugs are 14mm.
Minsk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #70247
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
The "evidence" on 3rd gear blowups is sketchy at best,less then 1% of all DR's scatter their engines for one reason or another,people look inside and think about all the 3rd gear explosions they have read about on the internet and decide that must be what happened.
Once the insides are fragmented,its hard to tell what really happened.

Some guys on the internet have picked up the 3rd gear blowup as a cause and have run with it as far as they can,to me,rebuilding a DR trans because it might blow up is a pricey thing to do,for a problem that most likely will never happen.

Race Proven DR parts? Who would race one of these tanks in Baja to prove the parts?
3rd gear takes a beating in my bike. If I am riding hard I often downshift two gears into a corner and clutch it. Depending on how much I want the back to slide around I use the engine breaking a lot in 3rd gear. If a gear is going to go in my bike it is going to be 3rd.

On my bikes with 6 speeds it will be 4th.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #70248
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Race Proven DR parts? Who would race one of these tanks in Baja to prove the parts? I would if I was a little healthier. (drove over a landmine in Afghanistan) I still have taken mine on race tracks that are modified Trials tracks. they opened them up for bigger bikes(MX ones I found out later.) After the ride guys walked up and asked did I lose a bet or did I just hate myself. Just a dumba$$ if your gonna be dumb you got to be tough

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #70249
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
the enricher on the left handlebar? it makes no difference at speed. I turned it on while on the highway at nearly 70mph and noticed no difference.
Is the cold start enrichment circuit required to be active for it to start from cold?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #70250
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Is the cold start enrichment circuit required to be active for it to start from cold?

Regards,

Derek
per his prior post:
"It Will start without the enricher, at idle i can turn the enricher on and the engine cuts off. At speed it makes no difference."

i suspect it's running a bit rich...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #70251
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
per his prior post:
"It Will start without the enricher, at idle i can turn the enricher on and the engine cuts off. At speed it makes no difference."
It doesn't specifically say cold (unless it says so elsewhere in the referred-to post).

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #70252
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
2004, 6281 miles. I'm gonna check the bulb first and then order up a new gasket. Another thing I noticed that it won't start with the side stand down.

Edit: Checked the bulb, it is fine. On to plan B.
When I R&R'd my rear shock, I forgot to plug in the NSU plug up by the upper shock bolt. My engine wouldn't start with the side stand down either. So you are looking in the right place.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #70253
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Question Loud horn?

In case you are tired of reading carb discussions, I just posted this in the "Gear" section but I don't want any of my fellow DR riders to miss it:

I just read about the Screaming Banshee on Jalopnik (car news website) and it sounds (har-har-har!) great.
So I went to their website and see the new plug & play version is ready to ship.
Also a great price break in a group buy deal of 10 units.

Anyone want to put together a group?
I am in Alaska so it is not reasonable for me to organize one but I want to be in on it.

Here is the direct linky
http://www.indiegogo.com/PlugAndPlayScreamer#team

Scroll to the Expanded Club Pack deal for 10 units at $59 each.
Actually I would probably like two or three of them for my bikes.
Hmmmmm, I have 4 street & DS bikes, 3 cars......
I would like to get one for each but that just isn't in the budget.

Anyone?
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #70254
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post

Race Proven DR parts? Who would race one of these tanks in Baja to prove the parts?

You gotta be a bit crazy to try that...

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #70255
PhL0aTeR
10:90

Oddometer: 511
figured id post up before i head home and begin pulling parts off...

Last week I noticed that my speedo wasnt working at all, assumed the cable was gone, so i pulled it off, noticed a couple inches were left in my wheel speed sensor, and pulled it out as well. checked that the speedo head wasnt locked up and it spun freely. Ordered a motion pro cable from procycle on a friday afternoon and it was on my desk by the following monday (Procycle FTW!) Popped it in with no problem, and rode it down the driveway and it worked, so I parked it, rode to and from work the next two days with no problem. Yesterday morning was particularly cold, (it was actually below freezing) not sure if that had anything to do with my problem, but the speedo was nonresponsive/jumping erratically as I rode down the driveway. by the time i got to the road (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile) it was working fine, and continued to do so till I came to a stop, then it acted the same till I got up through 4th gear or so and it was fine. Today it did the same thing in the morning, and I just went to lunch and on my way back from lunch I noticed the speedo needle wasnt moving at all.

Obviously im posting up in hopes 10-15 of you will chime in an tell me im an idiot for not changing the speed sensor, or some other known to fail part when the cable goes, I'll call myself an idiot, and order up the parts. otherwise, im gonna start pulling off parts tomorrow morning and trying to find out why the cable has failed. thanks in advance!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #70256
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
It doesn't specifically say cold (unless it says so elsewhere in the referred-to post).

Regards,

Derek
you are right - perhaps a faulty assumption on my part to assume when he answered your question about cold start, he did not mean the engine was actually cold. i guess we need to wait for werification from the source.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #70257
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
When I R&R'd my rear shock, I forgot to plug in the NSU plug up by the upper shock bolt. My engine wouldn't start with the side stand down either. So you are looking in the right place.
I went back in there and traced that wire from the engine up to the seat area where it seems like a malfunction junction where all the connectors are and found the connector with the single blue wire was connected. I then did a switchectomy on the side stand switch and it will now start with the stand down.

Still no joy on the neutral light, I guess I'll be digging in there this weekend.

Edit: Checked continuity on the blue wire from the NSU to ground and I get an open reading....should be a short when in neutral.

mrprez screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 02:03 PM
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #70258
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhL0aTeR View Post
Obviously im posting up in hopes 10-15 of you will chime in an tell me im an idiot for not changing the speed sensor
Hmmm, there is no speed sensor on the DR; the speedometer on the DR is purely mechanical, using a worm drive connected to the front wheel hub.

From the symptoms you're describing, it sounds like a worn worm drive to me. Just take the front wheel out and examine the gears in the worm drive. If these look good, then the only other culprit would be the speedo itself since you have already eliminated the speedo cable.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #70259
PhL0aTeR
10:90

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
Hmmm, there is no speed sensor on the DR; the speedometer on the DR is purely mechanical, using a worm drive connected to the front wheel hub.

From the symptoms you're describing, it sounds like a worn worm drive to me. Just take the front wheel out and examine the gears in the worm drive. If these look good, then the only other culprit would be the speedo itself since you have already eliminated the speedo cable.
Yeah, I'm using the wrong nomenclature, but i was referring to the housing the bottom end of the cable plugs into. The steps you describe is the steps i planned on taking if i didn't get any answers or didn't have internet access. Thanks though.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #70260
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhL0aTeR View Post
Today it did the same thing in the morning, and I just went to lunch and on my way back from lunch I noticed the speedo needle wasnt moving at all...

... im gonna start pulling off parts tomorrow morning and trying to find out why the cable has failed. thanks in advance!
Make sure your speedo drive isn't installed in the wrong position. If it's rotated back too far it will put a bend in the housing and overstress the inner cable.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote