User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #70291
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,278
Best carb for the trans-am trail.

My BST has been modded and actually isn't all that bad, but I have been wanting to upgrade to the pro-cycle mikuni pumper.

Doing the trans am this summer, are there advantages to one over the other?

I am thinking I may have to rejet during the trip or have to make fuel adjustments on the road.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #70292
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Best carb for the trans-am trail.

My BST has been modded and actually isn't all that bad, but I have been wanting to upgrade to the pro-cycle mikuni pumper.

Doing the trans am this summer, are there advantages to one over the other?

I am thinking I may have to rejet during the trip or have to make fuel adjustments on the road.
You will not have to re-jet. I ran the entire TAT on a carbed bike. You'll never know the difference.
BTW, 13K I believe was the apex of it.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #70293
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
You will not have to re-jet. I ran the entire TAT on a carbed bike. You'll never know the difference.
BTW, 13K I believe was the apex of it.

On a DR?
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #70294
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,239
Wont matter, the engine is plenty big enough.
A 610. Carbed I rode
On a carbed 250, maybe you'd feel it , but not on the big bore DR and its not like your living up there, its up and over. Like I said youll never notice, The DR is the perfect weapon for the TAT. If your jetting is dialed in now, it will be fine for the trip Bri.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #70295
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 497
Suspension upgrades

For those of you who've tinkered with dr650 suspension mods I've got a question:

If you could have ANYTHING done on yours what would it be; forks from a donor bike, different swingarm and/or shock or would the ultimate fix be too cost prohibitive wherein a prudent person would save the cash and apply towards a different bike altogether?
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #70296
JTB488
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsk99 View Post
Might want to double check that. Mine did not come with an aluminum bracket, but it did come with a plastic bracket that clamps to the handle bars. I believe that bracket you mention comes with the protective case that many order with the Vapor.

I have been happy with the placement using the plastic clamp. It is actually is a better placement if you intend to keep and use the stock speedo (I like the mechanical odo and trip meeter).
That could be it. I did order mine with the "dash", but ended up not using the dash portion.
JTB488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #70297
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideways#96 View Post
For those of you who've tinkered with dr650 suspension mods I've got a question:

If you could have ANYTHING done on yours what would it be; forks from a donor bike, different swingarm and/or shock or would the ultimate fix be too cost prohibitive wherein a prudent person would save the cash and apply towards a different bike altogether?
I'd buy a different bike, or I'd buy the Racetech rear shock assy and Racetech emulators and springs.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #70298
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I'd buy a different bike, or I'd buy the Racetech rear shock assy and Racetech emulators and springs.
Thanks for the reply! I'll do some research on the racetech mods.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #70299
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,641
It can all be purchased through Racetech, http://www.racetech.com or through one of their distributors.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #70300
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
It can all be purchased through Racetech, http://www.racetech.com or through one of their distributors.
Great, thanks again!
Old 10-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #70301
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
My DR fully loaded pushes the limits of the OEM sidestand. I adjusted the rear preload but still feel it's too tall and ready to flop over on the right.

How much shorter is the DR650 OEM short sidestand compared to the OEM normal standstand? Would it work for heavily loaded DR650s ?

Thanks.
FB
Old 10-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #70302
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Wont matter, the engine is plenty big enough.
A 610. Carbed I rode
On a carbed 250, maybe you'd feel it , but not on the big bore DR and its not like your living up there, its up and over. Like I said youll never notice, The DR is the perfect weapon for the TAT. If your jetting is dialed in now, it will be fine for the trip Bri.
Yep if your jetting's currently dialed in, you'll be fine...you'll just lose some (or more ) power at the higher elevations.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #70303
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
Sagging springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
My DR fully loaded pushes the limits of the OEM sidestand. I adjusted the rear preload but still feel it's too tall and ready to flop over on the right.

How much shorter is the DR650 OEM short sidestand compared to the OEM normal standstand? Would it work for heavily loaded DR650s ?

Thanks.
FB

I went through that as well. I already had the short stand but had lowered the rear and dropped the front clamps about an inch on the tubes. No amount of preload adjustment (at least up to the manual prescribed minimum) would help the bike stand up (at least not for long, I tightened up on the rear pre-load a couple of times, it would seem better for a short time but the oem spring kept on sagging). I finally gave in and bought springs appropriate to my weight (for me that meant two up with luggage....even though I ride solo). The aftermarket springs haven't shown the same tendency to 'creep', bike height has remained 'normal' and I can be less particular about finding the 'right' spot to try and leave it on the side stand. It probably rides better as well, being as I am now riding in the middle of the shock stroke instead of the bottom. I am not sure that I am qualified to judge that. It certainly isn't all new suspension front and rear but springs are relatively affordable and not too challenging to install.
I know that I have a 'normal' side stand somewhere, if I find it soon, I will get measurements for comparison.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #70304
shu

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post

Thanks.
FB
I had the same problem with not enough lean on my stand.
I'm not sure about the short sidestand- I think it's 1 1/2 inches shorter.

I took my stand to a local welder and had him cut about 1 inch out of my stock sidestand. He welded a pin in for strength and then welded the thing back together. This has worked great for the last 45,000 miles.

..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #70305
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideways#96 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I'll do some research on the racetech mods.
I'd go Ricor front and rear.
Intiminators in the front and an IAS shock in the back.

At the moment the Intiminators are $180 (down from $300) and the shock is $550 (down from $890).
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote