Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #70321
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I got an Acewell...
Ran the pickup cable down inside the fork boot.
Brilliant!
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #70322
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 8,696
Dr650 batteries ... 50% more power for $8.79

OK, a few days ago in this thread I posted about doing research on replacement batteries for the DR650.

In my last post, I think I mentioned that I had decided, for my next battery, to use a Yuasa YTZ14S which is the same size as the OEM battery, except 3/16" taller (someone said they still fit and after opening up my bike, I bet they do) ... but the YTZ14S stores almost 50% more energy than the stock battery (11.5 Ah versus 8 Ah).

Anyway, I had saved an ebay bookmark where they were selling these batteries, and while cleaning up my bookmarks I looked at the ebay ad again, and THEY'RE NOW SELLING THESE BATTERIES FOR $8.79 WITH FREE SHIPPING!

SCORE!

If you're in the market for a new battery for your DR, take a look! For less than $9 delivered, how can you go wrong?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YTZ14S-B...-/190737356832

Edited to Add: On second look, they appear to be knockoffs, not Yuasa batteries, but still the ebay merchant has almost 82000 points with 99.6% positive feedback...I have no financial relationship with them, and have my fingers crossed...

Pike Bishop screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 08:08 AM
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #70323
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,739
Anybody here use a short Suzuki sidestand with a standard height suspension bike? Is the shorter sidestand 1.5" shorter like the shortened suspension mod it is meant for? Is it too short? I wasn't able to answer my question by searching this thread.

My loaded up DR is precariously close to vertical, even with the rear preload cranked up a bit. I may just take the sidestand down to the local muffler shop to see if they can take an inch offf the bottom and re-weld a new pad on the bottom. I just thought I'd ask here first in case I just want to throw my credit card at the problem instead...

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #70324
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzajohnson View Post
Not if you make a bracket to keep it at a similar height to the stock speedo.

That is how I did mine. Easy to see and function. With the windscreen on it is a little harder to get to due to the screen arms.

I went overkill on my bracket.... 1/4" thick 6061 alumn. Was the thinnest I had at the time and I wanted to get it done. I think I could lift the front of the bike with my vapor mount!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #70325
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,154
ordered one, hope it works out better than my last ebay battery
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #70326
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 8,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Anybody here use a short Suzuki sidestand with a standard height suspension bike? Is the shorter sidestand 1.5" shorter like the shortened suspension mod it is meant for? Is it too short? I wasn't able to answer my question by searching this thread.

My loaded up DR is precariously close to vertical, even with the rear preload cranked up a bit. I may just take the sidestand down to the local muffler shop to see if they can take an inch offf the bottom and re-weld a new pad on the bottom. I just thought I'd ask here first in case I just want to throw my credit card at the problem instead...
Any decent welder who owns a hacksaw should be able to take an inch out of the middle and reweld it in about 10 minutes flat.
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #70327
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,712
Cut it off at the bottom, just above the foot gusset. That way there's no length below the weld to 'lever' against the weld. And then there's no need to fit an inner sleeve either.

The stock kick stand has a reinforcement at the top, by the pivot. That's where the force is focused. Think about using a crescent wrench to bend an edge on something. The force is at the jaw, not where your hand is.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #70328
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideways#96 View Post
Kommando,

I'm looking for a good set up for rocks. I've got a 300 xcw that will basically glide through rocky sections, ie streambeds and rock strewn roads. The Dr is understandably a different animal altogether however she is a handful in this stuff. Looking to smooth out the ride in these instances. She has eibach springs and is set up for my weight (petite 210 w/gear) but I'm thinking there has to be additional mods I can make to the big girl.
I don't ride that kind of terrain much, but we have ruts around here that seem to deflect lighter bikes with stiff suspension more than the relatively-soft and heavy DR that just kind of plows through crud. Mine feels just a bit stiff at low speeds with Eibachs for similar weight and with heavier fork/shock oil. I'm thinking that slightly-softer springs and lighter oil, with adjustable damping (where the DR lacks), would work better than heavy springs with no damping adjustment, unless you're moving pretty good. When I'm moving faster than the bottom of 2nd, mine feels pretty plush through most ruts and bumps.

Did you try the soft progressive stock springs in this stuff before swapping to the Eibachs? With different preload?They'd probably be a bit too soft with stock damping, but it might give you a better idea of which direction to go with spring-rates.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #70329
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
For those of you who've tinkered with dr650 suspension mods I've got a question:

If you could have ANYTHING done on yours what would it be; forks from a donor bike, different swingarm and/or shock or would the ultimate fix be too cost prohibitive wherein a prudent person would save the cash and apply towards a different bike altogether?
Ricor Intiminators (drop in + oil change = job done. no permanent modifications required.)

shimstack and oil change in rear by local suspension guru.

all smiles
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #70330
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
I have already decided on the rims sealing procedure that I will and have supplies on hand. Just interested in the results that other DR riders have had.
I sealed my rims and they have been working fine for more than 6 months and 5000 miles. They lose air at the rate of about 3psi per week, but compared to the advantages, airing up once a week is a very small price to pay.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #70331
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
I sealed my rims and they have been working fine for more than 6 months and 5000 miles. They lose air at the rate of about 3psi per week, but compared to the advantages, airing up once a week is a very small price to pay.
What'd you use to seal them up? Pinching tubes is a serious pain in the ass, so if there's something that can be done...
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #70332
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
What'd you use to seal them up? Pinching tubes is a serious pain in the ass, so if there's something that can be done...
search around, there are threads all over re tuBliss

http://tubliss.com/

TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #70333
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
search around, there are threads all over re tuBliss

http://tubliss.com/

They dont have a 17" size available for the rear.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #70334
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
For those of you who've tinkered with dr650 suspension mods I've got a question:

If you could have ANYTHING done on yours what would it be; forks from a donor bike, different swingarm and/or shock or would the ultimate fix be too cost prohibitive wherein a prudent person would save the cash and apply towards a different bike altogether?
Depends the sort of riding you plan. The Aussies on here tend to swap out the forks for DRZ, RM or other forks that fit. Sometimes involves machining stems and finding upper/lower triples to fit. Most dirt bike forks are too TALL and can mess up geometry/handling. But if done right, works great.

IMO, the stock 43mm KYB forks aren't bad if you revalve and set them up properly. Race-Tech emulators work well on my bike, combined with lots of
messing round with preload, oil weight and oil height. Heavier springs as well. I've ridden bikes with Ohlins forks, well set up WP and Marzocchi forks back to back with my DR and the DR compares quite well both on and off road. Any fork you put on will have to dialed in for your use, riding style and weight.

I'm running an Ohlins rear shock and have zero complaints. It's excellent, but not sure if Ohlins still make a shock for the DR650. Mine is over 10 years old. It rocks.

I don't ride much serious technical off road on my bike. Mostly an ADV tourer set up for Mexico, California Sierra and Desert. Very happy, even in deep sand and nasty rock.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #70335
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I like the paint job on the bike there. Where was that photo taken?
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote