Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #70396
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born-to-ride View Post
I fitted a FCR to the DR and had a few issues with the throttle cable. Sorted that out and the bike runs like a dream. Fuel economy around 17km/l consistantly regardless of how much throttle I use or terrain I conquer. Only issue is that the bike is still popping when I close the throttle and the beast does not idle when cold. Any advise out there, or should I just ride and enjoy?!?!
I don't have any advice for you, but your mileage is not that impressive: you're getting 17km/l (or 40miles/gallon) and my modified BST gives me 21km/l (50 miles/gallon), which indicates that your carb is not as well tuned as you may think it is.

I believe MXRob is the expert on the FCR carbs for DRs, but he hangs out in DRriders, not here.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #70397
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Hey Jeff, anything happening with the countershaft seal protectors?
Happening? Does waiting for them to be done count as something happening?
I expect to have the first batch of retainers ready around the first week of November.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #70398
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKul View Post
If you you guys are serious I'd be willing to drag my bike down to the Bay Area. I'll PM Derek for details.
UberKul tells me his engine has a high compression piston, a DG slip-on exhaust, and a JD jet kit. I think that to fit the bill, the bike would need to be stock with the exception of the airbox mod, a DJ/ProCycle jet kit and a GSX-R muffler or aftermarket slip-on. Does that make sense?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #70399
Born-to-ride
GSXR!!!

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Is it an FCR or an FCR-MX?
Fcr-mx (KTM)
Born-to-ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #70400
Born-to-ride
GSXR!!!

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Already shortened. I put the bike back to full height when I got it.
When you put the foot back on, you may want to adjust the angle. Otherwise the tip will dig in to peoples nice tarmac'd driveways...

From the heel of the foot to the pivot bolt is 280mm.
Thanks!!
Born-to-ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #70401
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Happening? Does waiting for them to be done count as something happening?
I expect to have the first batch of retainers ready around the first week of November.
Great - glad to hear it.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #70402
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
UberKul tells me his engine has a high compression piston, a DG slip-on exhaust, and a JD jet kit. I think that to fit the bill, the bike would need to be stock with the exception of the airbox mod, a DJ/ProCycle jet kit and a GSX-R muffler or aftermarket slip-on. Does that make sense?

Regards,

Derek
That's the first I've heard of a JD jet kit. I know a few people have asked JD to develop something but I haven't read or heard of an actual kit. JD doesn't list anything on his web site for the DR650. The JD kit would be an unknown quantity. I'd like to know a lot more about this.

In my experience the GSXR can is just restrictive enough to require slightly different jetting than the typical slip-on. I'd rather see a test subject with FMF, DG or Two Brothers exhaust.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #70403
UberKul
UberNoob

Oddometer: 105
I gave Derek some bad info, it is a Dynojet kit on my DR. The JD is on my Husky 450.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #70404
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKul View Post
I gave Derek some bad info, it is a Dynojet kit on my DR. The JD is on my Husky 450.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
You also have the high compression piston? How are you liking that upgrade?
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #70405
UberKul
UberNoob

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
You also have the high compression piston? How are you liking that upgrade?
I like it, but it was more of a solution to a smoking on start-up issue than an upgrade. Feels like it gave the bike a bit more snap at the throttle. If you are in the motor anyway and have the cash it's decent, I was just trying to sort an issue and the cost over stock made sense for me. Rode my buddy's FCR39 or TM40 (can't remember which) equipped bike and we both felt the piston is good but only gets about half the benefit of the carb mod if that. The stock carb with standard mods is good enough for me, I tend to ride the suspension rather than the motor for speed.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #70406
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
I'd rather see a test subject with FMF, DG or Two Brothers exhaust.
Sounds fine to me.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #70407
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
Vapor Going Haywire -- Bigger Problem?

This morning, I rode my DR650 to work. First time I've ridden it in about two weeks. It's been on the Battery Tender for the last few days too.

Soonafter I got on the road, I noticed the amber and red warning lights on my Vapor randomly blinking, as the tach bargraph would randomly jump around (setting off the shift lights, which I think I have set at 7300 and 7500 RPM). But the bike was running fine. I had my heated jacket on, but I've run that once before with no issues. I turned it off just to see, but no change... still acting odd. It kept doing this all the way to work.

I did notice when I pulled into work that it just didn't sound quite right at idle. I can't really say more than that, just that it was odd. Not rough either, just didn't sound like it usually sounds.

Any chance this could be an indicator of one of my plug wires or the coil going bad, especially since the Vapor's tach pickup is a wire wrapped around one of the plug wires.

My regulator and stator are both new within the last six months. The stator is ProCycle's high-output model.

Ideas?

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #70408
JMR
ridgerunner

Oddometer: 44
Headlight ON/OFF switch.

I noticed in the service manual that the Swiss/Austria versions of the DR have an ON/OFF switch for the headlights (on the right handlebar).

Anyone know where I can pick up one of these Euro-version switches? (I'm in the states)

I hate not being able to turn the lights off!
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #70409
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Just a quick and dirty, but very useful mod that I did to my bike this evening:

I had stopped in at CycleGear over my lunch break to see what they had in their clearance bins and get some waterproof gloves for commuting this winter, and I snagged a "weatherproof" handlebar mounted 12v outlet for ten bucks. Looking online, they have it the same price (plus s/h). It only took a few minutes to bolt up. They say it takes anything from 7/8 to 1" handlebars, and it has some kind of grippy material that actually holds it in place really well. The cap on it actually seals down damn tight. I'd be surprised if anything other than a heavy rain or a drop into water got in there, and I'd be doubtful of even the heavy rain. After my powered USB port shorted out, I was going to just get another one, but I figure that for ten bucks, I can just use my regular car charger to juice up my phone. I'm not an employee of CG or anything like that, but for ten bucks, it installs in five to ten minutes, and all you have to do is solder two wires into the keyed power source that's already in the wire bundle at the front of your bike. Totally recommend.
I bought two of those myself, they were on sale for $10 ea. recently and am happy with them...interestingly mine were made in Taiwan and are much better quality than a lot of the made in China stuff CG sells
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #70410
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,726
been looking up wind screens. Im between the Cee-Bailys, Screens for bikes and the Laminar Lip. Im 6'2" and the weather is cooling down and thought it may be nice to have some added protection. Nobody in the area has a DR with any of these screens, so i was searching for some real world feedback on useful ness of these screens. I dont want to go huge since I seek lots of dirt, but just somthing that helps.

Thanks,

Greg